PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my hair up

elousays
June 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has found that as their hair becomes more healthy - it is more impossible to style or keep up in up-dos.

I used to wear a sock bun or a top knot all of the time to keep my dirty hair protected and contained.

Now that I'm almost fully dye-free, and mostly heat free - my hair just falls out of everything higher than the nape of my neck. Clips, elastics, hair pins, hair sticks. I just feel like nothing is "gripping". I try braids but I'm growing out layers and they just don't stay or look right. I just hate adjusting my hair all day long!

I can't figure out if it is hair health or if I am at an awkward length?

Madora
June 20th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'd say the layers aren't doing you any favors, as far as keeping hair from slipping out. You might need a little more length to help things from escaping.

You might want to look into Lillith Moon's 2 strand lace crown braid. Perhaps, even with layers, it might be able to keep your hair together.

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

gonzobird
June 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM
My hair stays up much better when its a bit dirty... day 2,3&4. Although I usually wear my hair down ... if i put it up it stays nicely in a scrunchie. ( a messy one where you can't see the scrunchie. Hahah.) But.... when my layers were shorter it was much harder. Not enough thickness to get it til stay good.

catamonica
June 21st, 2012, 01:10 AM
I wear a low braided bun. I use bobby pins & it stays. And it is comfortable.

ddiana1979
June 21st, 2012, 01:17 AM
My hair is very straight & slippery too. Have you tried Goody Spin Pins? They're amazing. My hair type is similar to yours, so they might work for you. Sometimes I have to use four to get a good, secure hold, but it's better than using fifty bobby pins.

Also, a little bit of aloe (the pure stuff, not the bright green kind for sunburns) smoothed through the length gives the hair a bit of "grab", if you will, and won't harm your hair.

chickenetti
June 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM
I second the Good Hair Days pins. It could be both length and health- my hair is pretty healthy, and it didn't hold styles well at all, but now that it's longer I can twist it into a pretty good bun and it has no choice but to comply :whip:

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM
I think that your hair being healthier has a big deal to do with it. :] Which is a good thing! But bad when you want to wear it up and it just flops right out.
I found the thing to work for me best is my wooden hair fork or two hair sticks in a pencil bun . It will stay in for hours.
Aside from that, It takes everything in my will power to leave my hair up. I cant stand wearing it up but I know that it would be much better for it.