PDA

View Full Version : Going to LA/Disneyland - hair ?

patienceneeded
June 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hello everyone! I'm heading to Disneyland (Los Angeles) with DH and DD5 in about 1.5 weeks. All of a sudden, I'm wondering what to do with my hair? I live in Oregon, land of the super-soft water. I remember my hair flipping out last summer when I went to Boise, Idaho...where the water fights back (hard water). Any LA area people with advice on the water quality and how to best care for my hair while I'm in LA? Currently I CWC, but am open/willing to switch it up if needed.

On to Disney...how should I wear my hair for the rides? We're planning on riding as much as we can, walking everywhere. I don't want to have to keep redoing my hair throughout the day. My hair is between BSL and waist, and very thick. Most bunned styles don't work yet, not enough length. I can braid (french, dutch, 4-strand, fishtail). We will be doing the water-rides, so whatever I wear/use it needs to be able to survive the water.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Madora
June 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Definitely up for the rides at Disneyland!

Maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Have a great time!

saffy2yrs
June 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
When I go to Disneyland I put my hair in an english braid, put the tail through a ball cap, and bun on the outside of the cap. That keeps my hair up, and my face shaded.

If you put your hair up with a part, make sure you sunscreen the part so it does not burn.

JellyBene
June 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I just got back from Disney World and I wore my hair in either a cinnabun or a tucked french braid.

GoddessLocks
June 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
How fun! I would probably wear a braid, but omg those videos are awesome Madora!

Tia2010
June 20th, 2012, 08:13 PM
HAVE A GREAT TRIP !:happydance:

When we went to Disney World I did a braid and wore a bandanna (to keep the sun off my head/scalp) My hair was about BSL and it worked fine for me and held throughout the day.

I also highly recommend a hat because the sun is killer! And I liked having the bandanna so when I didn't want the hat on, my head was still protected from the sun.

teela1978
June 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm with Tia, long braid down the back and a hat. And suncreen :)

Alun
June 20th, 2012, 08:23 PM
One time I was in line for a ride called the Volcano (at King's Dominion, I think) and realised I had already passed all the contents of my pockets to DW, because they said to empty them. That meant I didn't have a hairband, so I quickly braided my hair, because I know it tends to stay braided for quite a while even without a hairband. Problem solved.

OTOH, I don't really like those sort of rides (you are shot vertically up through the top of the 'volcano' and tipped upside down suspended from a track). I kept my eyes closed throughout most of it. I only went on it for the sake of DD and DS, and they are older now, so I'm not likely to repeat that experience.

Amygirl8
June 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I second the braid!
Although I recommend a side braid, that way it naturally lies in front of you, so it's easily tucked in the harness on the rides :]

RapunzelKat
June 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM
From personal experience, I would highly recommend a French braid for Disneyland - it holds up best for the wind/rubbing on seat backs/water, etc. ;) You can pull the length of the braid in front of you if it bothers you on rides.

As far as water quality... It depends where you'll be staying. You might want to call and check - the hard water can be pretty gnarly if it's not softened at all.

Have a great time! :D I may be headed for Disneyland myself in the next couple of weeks. If at all possible, go on a weekday!! WAY less crowded ;)

patienceneeded
June 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM
We'll be in LA for July 1-3, heading home on the 4th. That's a Sunday-Tuesday, home on Wednesday. Flights/hotel packages were much cheaper if we flew on the 4th, for some reason much cheaper to leave to come home on the 4th, as opposed to arriving on the 4th. So, we'll have 3 days in the park(s).

The hat is a good idea. I will not forget sunscreen, nothing like a bad sunburn to ruin a vacation. I'll probably dutch-french braid my hair. We're staying at one of the "good neighbor" hotels, would they have a water-softener installed?

teela1978
June 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Its unlikely that the hotel will have a water softener. I find that sulfates help a lot with hard water, they seem to rinse better and not build up.... but if its up in a braid no one will know if your hair isn't its usual level of perfection :)