PDA

View Full Version : Best leave in conditioner/treatment

newbeginning
June 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
My hair has gotten drier/frizzier with the summer heat and humidity (and from using a cone free conditioner...my hair needs cones) so I was thinking I could try to use a leave in conditioner/treatment. I CWC already and use coconut oil as a pre wash sometimes (I can't use it more than a pre wash as it reacts badly with my scalp...I just put it on my ends but if I use it daily then put my hair up I get the bad reaction on my scalp). What are some of your favourite leave in conditioners? I'm asking because I don't want to just buy one and it not work. I figure all you long haired people out there would have lots of experience with leave ins and what worked/what didn't. TIA.

Wildcat Diva
June 20th, 2012, 01:02 PM
mineral oil (per the article by Ktani) is my favorite leave in, two drops applied to damp hair. It's not a conditioner really, just seals in moisture, and is anti static to address frizz.

brave
June 20th, 2012, 04:37 PM
There's no one perfect leave in sadly. Most of us are still searching, and without knowing your hair type (fine? coarse?) it will be more difficult to tell. Lots do get very good results from mineral oil and it's very cheap to try (like a dollar, if you can find the travel size johnson's baby oil, so it's easy to control). You might also just leave in some of the conditioner you're already using and see how that works.

Wildcat Diva
June 20th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I most always do an ACV rinse and leave it in. It's not a conditioner, does that count? It's a treatment, I guess.

Miss Maisie
June 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Mineral oil didn't work well in my hair at all. My hair likes coconut oil, and for some reason LOVES olive oil (a very, very small amount), which seems to be unusual for fine hair. I just got jojoba oil today, so we'll see what my hair thinks of that!

blaketob
June 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I use a deep moisture treatment called Hairtrition. It says to leave it in for 5 minutes and rinse, but I usually leave it in for 4-5 hours and my hair feels awesome after!

Natalia
June 20th, 2012, 08:23 PM
the one i liked recently changed formulas but before that and what im back to now is using a little of my regular rinse out condish as a leave in applied to damp hair. i use aubreys but i keep meaning to try my trader joes ones too. other than those i use monoi oil. evco doesnt like me as a leave in but my hair really enjoys the monoi.

JellyBene
June 20th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I really like the leave in conditioners from Toadstool Soaps on Etsy

newbeginning
June 21st, 2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention my hair is coarse and fairly thick. I've tried mineral/monoi oils but they didn't work with my hair type/texture. I think a leave in conditioner would work best (it's just finding one that works that's tough).

Aredhel77
June 21st, 2012, 05:43 AM
I use Lavera Basis conditioner. It's not a 'leave-in', just their regular conditioner but it leaves my hair really soft. It's cone-free. I only use about half a teaspoon, and I have medium thick slightly-dry wurly hair. Many people here just use a regular conditioner as a leave-in. So if you have a conditioner that you like, you could try applying some to your washed damp hair once you have rinsed out your conditioner. :flower:

ETA: You can also try a bit of an intensive/deep conditioner if you use those.

Louise148
June 21st, 2012, 05:57 AM
I'm currently using 'Nexxus Luxtress Leave-In Hair Moisturiser which I am really liking. As my hair is very fine I can't use anything that is too oily as it just weighs it down and turns it to an oil slick. I thought this one would do that as it contains a awful lot of various seed oil extracts. But surprisingly my hair seems to really like this one...YAY!

Lou x