PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth faster in the back?

swearnsue
June 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
My hair has been growing faster in the back than the areas around my face. I've been able to put my hair into a pony stub for a month or more now but my hair that used to be bangs/fringe still does not reach into the pony. They have been almost able to reach for a month now and the back is to my shoulder but the front is still just hanging below my ears. Is this normal or do I have some kind of folicle damage from all the years of curling irons and L'Oreal medium ash blond 7A? I've even trimmed the back a bit and it's still longer! Oh, and also I henna and I see roots coming in fast everywhere but around my face.

GoblinTart
June 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM
My bangs grow slowly like that. I think It's normal. Frustrating, but normal.

swearnsue
June 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
My bangs grow slowly like that. I think It's normal. Frustrating, but normal.

Thank you, I guess I'm not alone. Weird though don't you think?

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Your hair definitely grows at different speeds all over the head. I would have clients that came to me every month and I'd be freaking out because I thought I gave them a bad haircut (usually the cute ole ladies) and they would say "ohh noo honey my hair just grows really fast in that ONE spot) and it would happen every time.
I am starting to feel like my "underneath" hair on my head, that is, (!!) grows faster than my layers because I have a horribly disconnected hair cut. I just leave it because to connect them my weight line would be nothing at all and I am growing them out anyway. Still a bummer :/ Having a bad hair cut is something I don't like.

Vampyria
June 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I think my hair grows slower in the back. Every time I didn't cut for a long time, I noticed that hair in the middle is shorter. I cut my hair in V shape now, so the middle part has a little head start. ;)

ladylowtide
June 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I know that my hair grows faster at the crown. When I had platinum blonde hair with dark brown roots my stylist would always comment that I had a half inch more roots on the crown than anywhere else.

swearnsue
June 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I didn't know it was so common. Another one of life's mysteries I guess. A side effect of this AND using henna is that the slower growing hair gets a darker henna over time. For a long time I thought maybe I was somehow smearing my facial cleaners or moisturizers over my forehead onto my hair and that was why it was darker there. But there is now way I'm doing that, I'm kinda meticulous with things like that.

NymphSpirit
June 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Happens to me too. The last time I shaved my undercut was over a year and a half ago and yet it has barely grown 15cm, while the hair in my nape has grown almost 50cm in less than two years, so yeah, I feel your pain, haha, it's annoying, but at least it's growing, right? :P

Tisiloves
June 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm almost the opposite, my canopy, particularly my fringe grows reasonably fast. My underneath where I'm growing out my undercut, not so much.

Deborah
June 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yes. Mine grows faster in the back too. I usually cut my hair straight across, but it always grows into a nice u shape. I think this is common.

Arden
June 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Yea me too. I was acctually compairing pictures last night to show a girlfriend of mine how fast my hair grows and I immediatly noticed that the hair in the back appears to have grown much more than the hair in the front.... I think I always assumed it was just an illusion since the hair in front is higher up on your head than the hair in back but no... The picture from my 'bad haircut" the first of april shows my top layer around my face and the bottom layer probably collar bone length... The picture I took yesterday the face framing layers dont look all that much longer but the bottom layer of my hair is now APL...

One thing I was kind of contemplating though... is it that it acctually grows more? or is it just streched out more.... I know your hair can get streched.. and since the back gets pulled on more than the front... just a though

GoblinTart
June 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thank you, I guess I'm not alone. Weird though don't you think?

It is weird. It's not just my bangs. The entire circumference of my hairline is like that. The bulk of my hair grows quickly though thank goodness. Just wish my bangs would grow a bit faster, my braids are woefully small due to running out of hair on my side strands.

blaketob
June 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't know if this would be a possibilty but maybe try parting your hair differently. My hair grows at two different lengths, my right grows much faster than my left. I'm trying hair to part my hair on each side equally to see if it helps make a difference.. i think it has :)

swearnsue
June 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I don't know if this would be a possibilty but maybe try parting your hair differently. My hair grows at two different lengths, my right grows much faster than my left. I'm trying hair to part my hair on each side equally to see if it helps make a difference.. i think it has :)

You might be on to something here. I pull my hair straight back into either a bun type of thing or a headband. Maybe I'm somehow interferring with the scalp circulation? I'm going to try parting my hair instead and switch sides and middle too and see if that helps! (It can't hurt!)

KwaveT
June 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I have the same issue of being able to put the hair in back in ponystub but none of my side hair even reaches the ponystub. My shortest bangs don't even reach the top of the ears.

Miss Catrina
June 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM
It's typical for hair at the back of the head to grow faster, simply because it is not manipulated as much.

lilliemer
June 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Mine also seems to grow a lot faster in the back, I have these "pioneer ends" that are in the back and center and are much longer than everyone else.

I like the suggestions about parting differently to give the front hairs a chance to catch up. It would be nice if that worked, I have very short front layers and would love to give them a head start to catch up with the rest of my hair.

palaeoqueen
June 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
I haven't been growing mine for long but I'm fairly sure that it's growing longer in the back. I'm pretty happy with this as I'm growing out an angled bob and ultimately want a U-shaped hemline :) My fringe feels like it grows really quickly as I keep it short and therefore have to trim frequently, however, I have recently noticed that I have much shorter virgin roots in the fringe area than elsewhere on my head so I think it actually grows more slowly. Good job I keep short then, made it a lot easier to cut out the bleach :lol:

swearnsue
June 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
My short-term goal is to get my front hair long enough to reach to little ponytail! At the rate it is growing it may take a couple of months. Oh well, that's what bobby pins are for!!!

jacqueline101
June 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
I wish my bangs would take a break and put energy into growing in the back. My hair grows in the back and sides but at a natural v hem line.