PDA

View Full Version : Long hair with layers?

Pointy-Ear
June 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hi :)
I was wondering if anyone of you has tailbone length hair or longer with layers. By layers I mean only layers in the front, so that from behind it looks like a U-cut or even a V-cut.
I was thinking of getting some layers because my hair has so much volume that sometimes I think it's just too much. But I am also worried that layers would not get rid of my volume, but add even more to my hair. It would help if I had some pictures, but as soon as I type layers in Google I can't find any length past BSL. So perhaps you could help me and show me some pictures of your hair?

Tizzles
June 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Layers wouldn't give you "more hair". Hairdressers love to tell this to fine haired women when they're looking for more volume. Blunt cuts and blunt hemlines tend to make hair thicker looking and feeling. I think layers in super long hair would be pretty. UltraBella has really long hair, I don't know if her's is quite tailbone, but she's known around here to be the Queen of Layers, maybe she'll pop in and say hi.

Layers will definitely give you more movement. The longest my hair has ever been was BSL and I had layers around the front like you were talking about and it gave my hair a lot of movement, but didn't make it look or feel like I had more hair. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

LadyHazel
June 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Layers are the worst thing I ever did to my hair and they have made my hair lose volume, it is now at random lengths which I hate and has grown out funny for 2 years and the shorter layers are always more susceptible to damage.

Layers make my updos look untidy, messy, and uneven,

I hate layers with a passion, never ever getting them again biggest mistake ever!

Pointy-Ear
June 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM
@Tizzles
When I had short hair (about shoulderlength) I had lots of layers and it made my hair look very poufy. That's why I'm worried about it, but I think on long hair it should actually make them look thinner, so you're right about that :)

@LadyHazel
Oh yes, that's also a negative thing about the layers. I wouldn't be able to do neat braids and buns anymore... :S

LaFlor
June 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Here is a link to another thread... UltraBella has a pic of her layers on this page if you scroll down.
I love layers :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62556&page=2

Pointy-Ear
June 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you LaFlor for the link :)
Her hair is really pretty!

spidermom
June 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Oh no; I had about decided against layers. Now - seeing UB's hair when it was longer and layered - I want them again.

no no no no; I like to braid, and my braids are messy enough without layers

morrigan*
June 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ultrabella did get it cut month ago if i remember correctly :)

But there are two members with hair blonde around tail bone and both have layers in, but i can't remember who they were.

DarkCurls
June 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Eek.

I suppose layers look good... if you don't put your hair up very often. From what I've gathered, many people with TBL+ hair wear it up at least some of the time, and believe me, layers can be a PITA when braiding or putting into updos. Braids look messy and either have huge taper or huge tassel, updos have strange bits sticking out randomly...
I have layered WL hair and can't wait 'til I get rid of them. I used to like them, back when my hair was straight-ish, but now it's gone wavy, then wurly, they're more a pain than anything.

Layers are beautiful on hair that is down (though I like non-layered, myself), so if you want to, go for it. But if you wear your hair up a lot, that's something to take into consideration.

Avital88
June 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
*raises hand*
It is an idea, but keep in mind your braids become thinner and a bit messy

Emerald88
June 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I love the way layers look on long hair. If you mostly wear your hair down, then you probably won't have a problem. However, if you braid or wear updos a lot they can drive you crazy and as mentioned look rather untidy. I have succombed to the lure of layers several times and immediately started growing back afterwards because my hair is in a bun or braid 99% of the time and it just doesn't work for me. Here is a pic from the last time I cut in very few layers in the front: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/Hair369.jpg

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
My hair is close to tailbone length with layers, most of the layers in the front and a U in the back.

I have pictures in my album
They're not the most recent pictures but the layers are still there.

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I love my layers but at the same time I HATE them for the purpose of growing long thick hair. Yes layers can appear to give you more volume at times but for braiding and updos they are a huge pain in the behind.
I am working to grow them out and maybe some day when my hair is all one length, I will get some long ones but I don't really know at this point. I have medium short layers. The shortest ones start at a point of reference of my lip. It really sucks. I feel like they are getting shorter and shorter too. I will always have my face framing and short bangs though.
I don't consider "face framing" to be "layers" And it drives me nuts when people say that >.<

Nedertane
June 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
It's a question of style, in my opinion. I'm at about waist length, my shortest layer is catching up to BSL, and I love my layers! BUT, I also wear my hair down the vast majority of the time, and if I have it up, or braided, I don't mind the messy look. In fact, I kind of like it. I love the look it gives my hair when it's down, because there's just more interesting movement and taper - more "wild-looking," if you will. Plus, without layers, I feel like I just looked like an overgrown paint brush, so there's that. Hope this helps? :D

long&blonde
June 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I got long layers in May.
For me it was a total mistake.
When I last had long hair with layers: it was long ago, before I gave up daily shampoos, daily blowdrying, and constantly wearing my hair down.
The layers seem to purely blow into my face.
I'm not good enough at braiding/bunning,to really be super bugged by more messiness there, but the pieces out of nowhere blowing in my face. Small wispy pieces,just enough to get in my eyes,nose,mouth, not enough to look like a fringe or cute in anyway,mind you. I do not like layers. For myself.
Ultrabella's hair is beautiful. As was the long curly stylist's with layers:who gave me mine.
Always remember to factor in: our hair is like Popeye: "I am what I am!" Lol.

justgreen
June 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I have toilet seat length hair. LOL! It's getting very close to classic. I have three layers and it's so much easier for me to take care of it this way. There is a pic in my album (first pic) that shows my hair in it's natural straight state. My siggy shows curls and you can definitely see the different layers. I have no problems with bunning, in fact it makes it easier for me to tuck in the ends. My front pieces are tapered up to meet with my eyebrow length bangs.

MsBubbles
June 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
But I am also worried that layers would not get rid of my volume, but add even more to my hair.

Layers wouldn't give you "more hair".

Pointy-Ear (great name!) said "...add even more..." (...volume). Not more hair. :)

Pointy-Ear, you have M texture hair and a (iii) category ponytail circumference. I think the kind of style you are describing would make your voluminous hair lie very well. I'm sure there are a lot of similar-texture haired folk here who can help you tame it a bit if too much volume becomes a problem.

blaketob
June 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
My hair is no where near TL atm, but from reading many many posts on LHC many people always are trying to grow out there layers. Maybe do really long layers and see what you think but I wouldn't do any short ones because like previous posts have said, they tend to get annoying and messy looking.

Carissamarie08
June 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I would love to have long hair and layers!

jojo
June 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM
You have very thick hair so I think they would work for you, yes you'd get more volume but in a good way. If you do decide to get them go for very long ones, this way you shouldnt have too much problem with buns and could still do a neat braid but with a longer tail.

I love the look of layers but my hair is very fine, thickish but fine with thinner ends so on me they make my hair look whispy but on thick hair I think they look amazing.

pink.sara
June 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM
I have razor thinned my hair currently at 26 inches and nearly BSL and will be cutting deliberate heavier layers in as my hair grows. I love the look of layers on longer hair it adds so much texture and movement.

Avital88 has a great example of the look I would like at tailbone.

If your hair is thick it would look great :)

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I have layers and i hate them! although my hair isnt super long anymore... i DO remember when my hair was hip length though and I had it all one length VERYYY heavy, but I did get layers added in, about 3 different lengths varying about ehh, 6 inches all together. It did give it more body and bounce, mainly b/ my hair is very voluminous and curly/wavy when long, so it kind of added to my long hair look. To me, layers are a preference, but it does take a little bit of the weight off, if that helps.

spidermom
June 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have long blended layers, and I love them! (It's a new hair cut.) Braids are not a problem; I simply leave a longer tassel.
See sig pic. I can post a bigger one if you like.