PDA

View Full Version : Easy hairstyles for Shoulder length hair?

iSuperHeroic
June 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I'm not 100% sure if it's okay to post this here. If it isn't, tell me and I'll take it down immediately.

Is anyone in the same boat I am with feeling like their hair is too short to do anything with?
I'm trying to do the "Wear your Hair up for x time" challenge, but the only hairstyles I feel like I can do is a messy bun and braided pigtails but the fact I have a ton of layers and they stick out makes the braids look bad.

I might be able to do more if I knew how to french or dutch braid but I have the hardest time doing those. :(

So for any other SDL people, what do you do with your hair?

Nellon
June 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Haha, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm also in the "wear my hair up" thingie, only my hair is barely even shoulder length :) I buy lost of nice claw clips with sparkly stones n stuff and use, or I use my nice sparkly beak clips. Recently I started doing an english braid (pathetic and small, but still) and I secure it with lots of bobby pins! Then to just keep myself encouraged I have lots of different clips with flowers and put them in my hair, it makes me feel pretty even though my hair is so short :) And well, two ponytails also I do sometimes, or two braids (again with lots of bobby pins). What do you do usually? I plan to stick to this wear it up challenge since it makes me not so obsessed with how much my hair has(n't) grown ;)

iSuperHeroic
June 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Haha, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm also in the "wear my hair up" thingie, only my hair is barely even shoulder length :) I buy lost of nice claw clips with sparkly stones n stuff and use, or I use my nice sparkly beak clips. Recently I started doing an english braid (pathetic and small, but still) and I secure it with lots of bobby pins! Then to just keep myself encouraged I have lots of different clips with flowers and put them in my hair, it makes me feel pretty even though my hair is so short :) And well, two ponytails also I do sometimes, or two braids (again with lots of bobby pins). What do you do usually? I plan to stick to this wear it up challenge since it makes me not so obsessed with how much my hair has(n't) grown ;)

Oh gosh, we're exactly the same. :p I started the challenge to stop obsessing about my hair not growing, hoping to surprise myself at the end of the month.

Usually, I just tie it up in a messy bun and alternate where I put it. (One day it will be on the side of my head, the next at the very top secured with bobby pins.) Some days I'll do twin braids but I get so angry that my layers poke out, haha.

BrightEyes
June 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
My hair is shoulder length and I really like doing half-ups. I will gather the top half back and secure it with a clip (I love using xs flexi-8 clips). Or I will take the top half and twist it up to make a sort of half bun thing, then secure it with short sticks or micro mini forks from GrahToe Studios. I have a pic in my album if you are curious:)

If it is long enough, you might be able to do a peacock twist or French twist. At this length though (and when I am just home or running errands) I will put my hair in a pony tail with a scrunchy and try to not think about it too much. Or leave my hair down but pin a small piece on top back with a bobby pin. That seems to not make it feel so boring lol.

I know some have luck doing French/Dutch braids. But I am horrible at braiding and my layers would fall out all over the place. You might have better luck.

Good luck!

Tizzles
June 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM
My hair is shoulder length, growing out layers from an inverted bob. I was really obsessing a ton last month over my hair. I'd measure it every day, oil it way too much which in turn had me washing it much more often. The ends got kinda dry, I was really unhappy and my scalp really hated me.

I stared in the mirror and made a promise to myself that I would do less with my hair this month than I've ever done and see where it leads. So far my journey on the road to benign neglect is proving to be exactly what the Hair Doctor ordered! I use claw clips to kind of twist my hair into a peacock looking updo. It's kind of funky looking with the layers as the longest part of my hair is obviously the finest. Sometimes it looks like I have a little bitty rooster tail and sometimes I can get it just right to look a lot thicker than it is. I have noticed though that doing this I have to be very careful with my ends as they are exposed to weather and sun more than the rest of my hair so I put some mineral oil based baby oil on the ends before I put them up and try to opt for an "end tucked" style if I know I'm going to be out in the sun during the day.

If you're getting irritated with your hair because of how "short" you still feel it is then wearing it up in any style is going to be your best bet. If you don't mind the length and want to wear it down, something half up/half down might be the key. A good friend of mine loves to french braid half of her hair and leave the rest down, kind of half up/half down style. It looks really cute and if I had someone around me all the time that could french braid I'd definitely wear that style more often. If you're looking for other cute "hair up" styles, try two buns on the off sides of your hair with some fringe or something hanging out in the front. Not quite Princess Leia, but a little farther back closer to behind your ears. I've seen it on younger girls and it looks cute. You can put some hair sticks through the buns to hold it if you're going for a funky look. If I didn't have such chubby cheeks I'd do something like that myself.

iSuperHeroic
June 20th, 2012, 11:12 AM
My hair is shoulder length, growing out layers from an inverted bob. I was really obsessing a ton last month over my hair. I'd measure it every day, oil it way too much which in turn had me washing it much more often. The ends got kinda dry, I was really unhappy and my scalp really hated me.

I stared in the mirror and made a promise to myself that I would do less with my hair this month than I've ever done and see where it leads. So far my journey on the road to benign neglect is proving to be exactly what the Hair Doctor ordered! I use claw clips to kind of twist my hair into a peacock looking updo. It's kind of funky looking with the layers as the longest part of my hair is obviously the finest. Sometimes it looks like I have a little bitty rooster tail and sometimes I can get it just right to look a lot thicker than it is. I have noticed though that doing this I have to be very careful with my ends as they are exposed to weather and sun more than the rest of my hair so I put some mineral oil based baby oil on the ends before I put them up and try to opt for an "end tucked" style if I know I'm going to be out in the sun during the day.

If you're getting irritated with your hair because of how "short" you still feel it is then wearing it up in any style is going to be your best bet. If you don't mind the length and want to wear it down, something half up/half down might be the key. A good friend of mine loves to french braid half of her hair and leave the rest down, kind of half up/half down style. It looks really cute and if I had someone around me all the time that could french braid I'd definitely wear that style more often. If you're looking for other cute "hair up" styles, try two buns on the off sides of your hair with some fringe or something hanging out in the front. Not quite Princess Leia, but a little farther back closer to behind your ears. I've seen it on younger girls and it looks cute. You can put some hair sticks through the buns to hold it if you're going for a funky look. If I didn't have such chubby cheeks I'd do something like that myself.

The two hair buns sounds really cute as does the half up french braid! I really need to learn how to french braid, haha!

I'm trying to wear it up as long as possible to sort of surprise myself when I finally wear it down, so I'm trying to avoid leaving a lot of my hair down.

brave
June 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe try a gibson tuck? Your hair might be long enough, and it's super peasy easy.
If you're not great with bobby pins (I'm terrible) you might try spin pins, but your hair is straight and fine so you may have problems with slipperyness of hair.

battles
June 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hm. I wonder if a tucked french braid would work? I'm at APL and I'm able to do it, and I secure it with a pair of hairsticks. At shoulder I usually did a peacock twist.