PDA

View Full Version : Should I try Monistat for fast hair growth?

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I've really been interested in trying it because I heard SO many people got 2-3 inches a month.. I'm at a point where my fiance isn't even attracted to me because my hair is so short (neck length), everyone just treats me like an ugly lesbian and I'd just love to get closer to shoulder length before my 22nd birthday this august. I need the confidence. I heard the anti-fungal properties or just something from the steroid itself magically enhances hair growth from miconazole nitrate. I have a tube from walmart but I'm afraid to try it. Someone should talk about it with me =]

PolarCathy
June 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I've really been interested in trying it because I heard SO many people got 2-3 inches a month.. I'm at a point where my fiance isn't even attracted to me because my hair is so short (neck length), everyone just treats me like an ugly lesbian and I'd just love to get closer to shoulder length before my 22nd birthday this august. I need the confidence. I heard the anti-fungal properties or just something from the steroid itself magically enhances hair growth from miconazole nitrate. I have a tube from walmart but I'm afraid to try it. Someone should talk about it with me =]

Ugly lesbian? I'm not lesbian but I don't think this was very nice.

There is a Monistat thread somewhere. I mean people often post there, you should be able to find it relatively quickly and ask folks there.

ETA: here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat+dare)

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Well I'm no where near a lesbian, but for some reason short haired girls get called lesbians. lol. alright I'll try to find it. I didn't know those were active anymore.

Mesmerise
June 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM
My friend cut her hair short, and she gets a lot of people assuming she's a lesbian too... including her lesbian friends who should know better :p.

Annnyway... I think it's worth a shot to try Monistat. I have never been regular enough with it, but I'd love even 1" a month!! More than that would be a dream come true (although I'd be hennaing 3x a month!!!).

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Well I'm no where near a lesbian, but for some reason short haired girls get called lesbians. lol. alright I'll try to find it. I didn't know those were active anymore.

Haha im not offended. Nor am I a lesbian. I don't get why people get so offended over the slightest little wrong word over the internet. *face palm*
When my best friend shaved her head and I had bright solid purple hair everyone thought we were gay together. LOL.

Anyway...I'd like to hear how it works for you if you do try. I had tried it once but I never was consistent with it so I don't really know. There were a few times I used it, it gave me a headache and made my head feel...not right.

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Mesmerise; I henna too... Can using monistat and henna be bad?

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Haha im not offended. Nor am I a lesbian. I don't get why people get so offended over the slightest little wrong word over the internet. *face palm*

Anyway...I'd like to hear how it works for you if you do try. I had tried it once but I never was consistent with it so I don't really know. There were a few times I used it, it gave me a headache and made my head feel...not right.

I got a slight headache, and only used it once. I tried to assume that the headache was from something else, but I might just be kidding myself. At this point I think I'd be willing to bear headaches if I'd really get 1 inch a month or more.. but then again, hairfinity pills are also said to give you 1 inch a month. Anyone tried it? lol

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I got a slight headache, and only used it once. I tried to assume that the headache was from something else, but I might just be kidding myself. At this point I think I'd be willing to bear headaches if I'd really get 1 inch a month or more.. but then again, hairfinity pills are also said to give you 1 inch a month. Anyone tried it? lol
Naw. What is in them? Maybe you could replicate it yourself if you shopped around.
Doesn't coconut oil have anti fungal properties too?
I took biotin at one point when I was 17. It would give me nasty nasty headaches and huge deep seeded zits but also my hair grew alot faster and I would always get compliments on my eye lashes.

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 11:56 PM
coconut oil, cayenne pepper, henna, tea tree oil, apple cidar vinegar, all have antifungal,

and the main things in hairfinity are silica, biotin, and msm. I could buy every vitamin inside of it and it'd be a lot more money than hairfinity itself though. which is kind of odd.

So biotin grew out your eyelashes? I heard hairfinity gives zits, probably the biotin then.

Toadstool
June 20th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Erm, if your fiance isn't finding you attractive for something as superficial as your hair, then i think your issue isn't how to grow your hair quickly.

sunshine-locks
June 20th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I agree with Toadstool, your partner should find you attractive regardless of hair length.
Only grow your hair if it's what you want, not to please others :o

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with Toadstool
BUT at the same time, what man is perfect? Even the "perfect guy" might have these thoughts, they just don't express them.
And where one might not express them in that department, they might express some other thing that bothers them.
My dad is anti short hair haha always has been. He thinks its un attractive. I feel bad for my mom because all she wants is short hair. Shes had the desire over the years and occasionally got a really really short cut. He hated it!

Last night in the pool my dbf finally told me that he hated it when I used to shave the sides of my head. (i have been growing it out since october) He said "Guys shave their heads not girls" I BEG to differ haha but I understood. It is like he absolutely hated it but never said anything which is nice.
Some guys filter is just different. Don't feel bad about it though. Deep down he knows you can't make your hair magically long over night.
My boyfriend is "happy" with the fact that I am trying to grow my hair to my waist.
But don't feel bad about it.

Tristania
June 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I think my main concern about Monistat is whether the quality of the new hair will be compromised at all due to the rapid growth.

Ronnieaj
June 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
If you jump in and start taking Hairfinity, or biotin pills otherwise, make sure to keep your water intake up, which should help with any breakouts that you may get. I use monistat when I remember for my edges, which are thin, and it does help. Can't say I get an inch a month, but I'm definitely noticing growth where there was none before.

Vanille_
June 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Have you considered trying new hair styles? There are a lot of tutorial videos on youtube. I especially love ones that are called "boho" or "bohemian." At a shorter length, messy looks look great! Also, something as simple as adding some sparkly bobby pins or other hair bling can really make looks fun.

Also, at such a short length, have you considered semi-permanant wild colors? I use Manic Panic Vampire Red and I love it! It won't damage your hair and it will wash out (though some will take longer than others - this red takes forever to come out , which is fine for me!) You don't even need to lighten your color.

I'm just thinking that there may be alternatives to just sitting and waiting for your hair to grow.

Vanille_
June 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I think my main concern about Monistat is whether the quality of the new hair will be compromised at all due to the rapid growth.

Somebody from this site told me that monistat helped their hair grow - but that the hair was weak and fragile.

jacqueline101
June 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I've had good results with monistat. I'd try it.

ravenheather
June 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't expect 3 inches a month though. Most people double hair growth or less.

Dovetail
June 20th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'd be scared to try it. I keep thinking about it, but it worries me. It seems like people here have had good results though. My husband is the same way about short hair, he HATES it. I think its because when he was younger his mom hacked off her WL thick whurly brown hair, bleached it, and got a pixie. Her own husband didn't even recognise her!

Anyhow, I do hope if you try it you get good results! I'd be careful though and start out with just a bit at a time to make sure you don't have a reaction.

silverthread
June 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Erm, if your fiance isn't finding you attractive for something as superficial as your hair, then i think your issue isn't how to grow your hair quickly.

Maybe it would be better to forget the Monistat (especially if it gave you a headache when you used it before), and kick the boyfriend (whose attraction to you is contingent upon your hair length) to the curb.

Mesmerise
June 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Somebody from this site told me that monistat helped their hair grow - but that the hair was weak and fragile.

Hmm this is a bit of a worry. I am wondering, though, if you continue to have really good nutrition (plenty of protein etc.) the hair would still grow okay?

After all there are plenty who get 1" of growth a month or more naturally and their hair is great!

But I suppose it is something to be cautious about!

Hmm and on the whole "fiance not finding you attractive thing"...everyone DOES have preferences. If I shaved my head and put on another 20kg I doubt my husband would find me attractive at all (which I think is actually quite understandable!!) but that doesn't mean he'd dump me or stop loving me.

The point is, everyone has their preferences... they can't help it! I do agree that you shouldn't change yourself to suit someone else though. If my preference was for short hair and my husband preferred long hair... too bad, I'd have it short! Same if he preferred short hair and I wanted it long. As it is he hates tattoos and I love them, so I still get them :D.

If someone dumps you for your appearance, you're better off without them... but if they're just honest about the way they prefer you, but ultimately don't care, then that's perfectly okay!

catamonica
June 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Monistat probably works better than anything. I had past midback length hair for years. In 2009, I bought Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo from wall mart. My hair grew to waist. I added two capfuls of olive oil. I'm not sure if that helped. But it makes your hair soft. The shampoo is in the pet section of the store. You can also find it at Sally's, or certain grocery stores. I hope this helps your hair.

dollyfish
June 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm at a point where my fiance isn't even attracted to me because my hair is so short (neck length)

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this is just low self esteem combined with a, "I like your hair longer" comment. Did your fiance outright TELL YOU that he isn't attracted to you anymore...just because your hair is NECK LENGTH? I could imagine being weirded out by a buzz or pixie cut, but no longer being attracted to you is FAR more extreme than simply finding you slightly less attractive... If it's the former, dump this creep before you're legally bound to him :(

As for your hair, I noticed no change when I used monistat. But this is all just anecdotal evidence so I can't really give any practical advice either way. Sorry! Eat lots of protein, I guess.

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Well when I met him I had 2cm hair and wore wigs and when it grew out, extensions. My observation is that he treats me better when I have longer hair, and ignores me a lot with the short hair. I have gathered in my own mind that he isn't attracted to me with short hair, and this might stem from my confidence lowering tremendously when I have short hair.

He's more romantic when my hair is long. It kind of sucks.

But any how, I might try the monistat for one month just to see if it works. What is there to lose? heh.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a monistat/miconazole nitrate hair challenge with growth pictures for the next 1-4 months. I've been lurking the monistat forums and reading up on everything I possibly could and I've noticed about 90% of people say it gives scary amounts of hair growth, and the other 10% said otherwise.

90% is a large chance it might work. Whose in? (I'm about to go dilute mine with water and scrub it into my scalp) Also I've been meaning to try mane and tale but I'm the type to investigate. Why does it make hair grow?

amanda_the_tall
June 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Well when I met him I had 2cm hair and wore wigs and when it grew out, extensions. My observation is that he treats me better when I have longer hair, and ignores me a lot with the short hair. I have gathered in my own mind that he isn't attracted to me with short hair, and this might stem from my confidence lowering tremendously when I have short hair.

He's more romantic when my hair is long. It kind of sucks.

But any how, I might try the monistat for one month just to see if it works. What is there to lose? heh.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a monistat/miconazole nitrate hair challenge with growth pictures for the next 1-4 months. I've been lurking the monistat forums and reading up on everything I possibly could and I've noticed about 90% of people say it gives scary amounts of hair growth, and the other 10% said otherwise.

90% is a large chance it might work. Whose in? (I'm about to go dilute mine with water and scrub it into my scalp) Also I've been meaning to try mane and tale but I'm the type to investigate. Why does it make hair grow?

i don't think mane and tail helps hair growth. it does have protein in it, so if you're lacking in the protein department (aka have damaged your hair, or something along those lines) it might help, but otherwise it's just like any other shampoo/ conditioner, i believe. i'd recommend just using a conditioner that you like.

and if your fiance is treating you differently just because of your hair... i'd be wary of that. God forbid if you lose it due to illness or decide you like it shorter! our bodies are just vessels for our souls, yes people are going to prefer some look to another, but really it's about the person inside the body. the ignoring part is what really worries me.. i had an ex like that. it progressively turned into a terrible situation. but i don't know the situation, sorry for ranting. i'll take you up on the monistat challenge, i'm hoping to use the rest of mine up over the summer. :) good luck! and don't let the low self esteem with the short hair get you down, it'll grow! try focusing on things you do like about yourself, and enjoy all the different stages!

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
i don't think mane and tail helps hair growth. it does have protein in it, so if you're lacking in the protein department (aka have damaged your hair, or something along those lines) it might help, but otherwise it's just like any other shampoo/ conditioner, i believe. i'd recommend just using a conditioner that you like.

and if your fiance is treating you differently just because of your hair... i'd be wary of that. God forbid if you lose it due to illness or decide you like it shorter! our bodies are just vessels for our souls, yes people are going to prefer some look to another, but really it's about the person inside the body. the ignoring part is what really worries me.. i had an ex like that. it progressively turned into a terrible situation. but i don't know the situation, sorry for ranting. i'll take you up on the monistat challenge, i'm hoping to use the rest of mine up over the summer. :) good luck! and don't let the low self esteem with the short hair get you down, it'll grow! try focusing on things you do like about yourself, and enjoy all the different stages!

I might make a separate thread since I have at least one other who wants to try it, that way people can post pictures and track the growth if it really works. I do agree about the body being a vessel for the soul. I think most men love with their eyes, and to be honest I'm not doing it for him. I once had it neck length last year and chopped it all off just to see if he's worth it. I'm growing it out for me, and I will definitely enjoy all the stages, although I think they're going to be rapid stages because of the monistat.

carolinaberry
June 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I might make a separate thread since I have at least one other who wants to try it, that way people can post pictures and track the growth if it really works. I do agree about the body being a vessel for the soul. I think most men love with their eyes, and to be honest I'm not doing it for him. I once had it neck length last year and chopped it all off just to see if he's worth it. I'm growing it out for me, and I will definitely enjoy all the stages, although I think they're going to be rapid stages because of the monistat.

I will do the challenge with you. I'm using Monistat anyway for a while.

I do agree with everyone else though that you should only be growing it out if you want to. Here is a theory: maybe you feel sexier and more confident with longer hair, so he responds to you more. If you feel better with longer hair, you may act differently.

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I will do the challenge with you. I'm using Monistat anyway for a while.

I do agree with everyone else though that you should only be growing it out if you want to. Here is a theory: maybe you feel sexier and more confident with longer hair, so he responds to you more. If you feel better with longer hair, you may act differently.

Yay we have another! I made the thread. I do agree on your theory, but I mean it when I say this. I'm doing it for me. I've been damaging my hair with bleach and hair dye for years and I'm simply fed up with it, so now I'm using all natural things on my hair (so far just henna) and growing it out long and healthy.

catamonica
June 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think the horse shampoo has a lot of protein in it. All I know is it helped.

battles
June 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Definitely agree.

riceball
June 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
For me the monistat did not make my hair grow dramatically fast, but it did grow about an extra quarter inch per month. Went from half an inch to 3/4 inch. I'd say that's significant!

Also it's unfortunate but people ARE kinda shallow. It bothers me that your boyfriend outright ignores you when you have short hair, but is he actually treating you like crap or just not as friendly? I think a lot of people, regardless of gender/sexual orientation do this but not on purpose. I can think back to times that I have behaved this way towards my partner for something superficial like his hair or shoes..and then try not to act distant or weird just because I happened to dislike his hair that day. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to appearance, and appearance has a lot do do with attraction, unfortunately.
My opinion.

Ligeia_13
June 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM

What on earth? He should be with you for you, not your hair :confused:

leilasahhar
June 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Ive been researching this for hair growth and I think the active ingredient, Miconazole Nitrate, is nitrogen rich? I know it is an anti fungal, but its the nitrogen really that is causing the hair growth. Im still learning but there is a different hair product, (Redwood Roots Hair mist for accelerated hair growth), that has pine bark extract in it, which also claims to be nitrogen rich, creating blood flow etc etc. There is some kind of link..did you know HAIR is mostly nitrogen rich and is used in fertilizer for plants to grow?!

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Ive never really heard of it for your hair, other than it MIGHT (key word might) make your hair fall out :X could just be a rumor though. and I think thats harsh, bc he should love you no matter if your hair was past your butt or buzzed off, but i definitely understand the feeling.. give it time, and your hair will be longer, at least to your shoulders where you wont feel so boy-ish hair-wise. Im going to see about this monistat as well, but im not big into additive pills for your hair or what not :p i hope your hair grows fast enough for your birthday!

p.s. im wayyyy more confident when my hair is really long :p

catamonica
June 30th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Monistat is probably the best. But I use Mane & Tail horse shampoo. It helped my hair grow.

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I have seen a couple before and after pictures and it looks like it works! I am considering trying it too since I want my hair to grow to my waist so bad! Right now i'm at BSL and about 2 inches from waist while wet :D Sorry I can't help you but I would really like to try it too! And hey my birthday is also on August 22nd :o