PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with over-oiling?

HintOfMint
June 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I tried oiling hair when it's wet right before washing with a sulfate-free shampoo and then I finished with a cone-free conditioner and the result was over-oiled but still soft hair. My dry ends are gone and my hair feels great.

I'm going to wash my hair again tonight, but I'm not sure how to deal with the over-oiled part. I don't want greasy hair anymore but I don't want to get rid of all of the good parts of the oiling and have dry hair again.

1. I could clarify and use my usual conditioner Tresemme Naturals.

2. I could use a sulfate-free shampoo (L'Oreal Evercreme) and my Tresemme Naturals conditioner

3. I could just use the L'Oreal Evercreme shampoo and skip the conditioner.

4. I could CWC with V05 conditioner, V05 shampoo at the roots, and Tresemme Naturals conditioner to finish it off.

Which option should I try? I'm leaning towards 2 and 3. Three may run the risk of over drying since I'm not using a conditioner after. Two may not remove enough of the greasies.

Thoughts?

Khiwanean
June 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Of the options you specify, I would lean towards 4. Conditioner is actually quite good at removing excess oil without leaving the hair stripped afterward.

MeganE
June 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yep, I wouldn't use any shampoo. This is where I would use a cheapie watery conditioner to just get the excess out. VO5 or suave conditioners are great for this. If I'm doing a conditioner only wash, I'll usually put a bit of a nicer conditioner on the tips after I've rinsed out the cheapie one.

lmfbs
June 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I would just CO wash with a cone free conditioner - so 2 without the shampoo. Conditioner is much better at getting rid of oil than shampoo is.

Amber_Maiden
June 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
What I do is put conditioner in my hair, like a mask, for 10 min- then wash it all out.

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I took your advice and used mainly conditioner to get the oil out. I still did CWC, because straight conditioner on my roots makes my scalp freak out.

Shockingly enough, the conditioner scrubbed out every last bit of oil in my hair. Almost TOO cleansing, LOL.

Next time I do a pre-wash oiling, I'll have to keep this in mind.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I always slather on tons of conditioner in order to get rid of lots of oil. Works every time. 8)

BrownEyedBeauty
July 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I would go with option #4. I CWC and never have any problems removing the oil I've put in my hair.

If you were to use shampoo straight away, you could end up with dryer ends than what you had hoped to have achieved with the application of oil.