PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with 1.5 in growth per month?

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm wondering if this is common with you LHC?! Some months I know my hair grew about 2 inches, and predominantly in the last two months.

iSuperHeroic
June 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm jealous!

I barely get half an inch every month.

KylieAnne
June 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
mine is somewhere around an 1" usually, but sometimes closer to 2"
when I was in a coma for 9 days my hair grew close to 1". it was weird but I had recently bleached my hair so it was easy to see the growth. I joked my body had nothing else to do so it grew my hair although I don't understand the real reasoning.

all I know is I'm not complaining! I like being able to be bold with my hair knowing that it will grow soon.

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
There is soo many things I'm doing to make it grow fast, even massaging my hair roots with a head massager and peppermint oils. I'm surprised by the rate of growth I'm experiencing! This is great since my hair was unpleasant before.

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
mine is somewhere around an 1" usually, but sometimes closer to 2"
when I was in a coma for 9 days my hair grew close to 1". it was weird but I had recently bleached my hair so it was easy to see the growth. I joked my body had nothing else to do so it grew my hair although I don't understand the real reasoning.

all I know is I'm not complaining! I like being able to be bold with my hair knowing that it will grow soon.

Wow, that's odd!! Maybe because your body's cycle changed much like a women who are pregnant. You probably went into a different body state, which I think is anabolic state? That's so neat!

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
There is soo many things I'm doing to make it grow fast, even massaging my hair roots with a head massager and peppermint oils. I'm surprised by the rate of growth I'm experiencing! This is great since my hair was unpleasant before.
What are all these things you're doing?

Tia2010
June 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM

OK... spill your hair growin' secrets little missy :D

But really, I'm jealous of that growth rate! I grow about 8 inches a year. I'm not sure how much each month because it seems to vary. I guess at least a 1/2 inch and some months a bit more.

spidermom
June 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'll get a growth spurt that good from time to time, but growth averages out to about 2/3 inch per month.

jacqueline101
June 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
My bangs I trim a half inch every two or three weeks. I think the rest of it grows that well too.

jacqueline101
June 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
My bangs I trim a half inch every two or three weeks. I think the rest of it grows that well too.

NymphSpirit
June 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I had an insane growth spurt the last few months, but by insane I mean 2,5 inches in two months, lol, never that much! I'm jelly :)

jesis
June 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've stopped measuring how much my hair grows because I'm sick of being disappointed. Good for you though!

Deborah
June 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Yes, my hair grows very fast, all the time, but I have no secrets to tell. It has done this all my life. I assume it's genetic.

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Copied from profile:

I'm eating a clean diet (vegetarian), as always. I eat 2-3 organic free range pasture eggs everyday. I eat plenty of fruit and veggies. I only eat Whole Foods Market farmed raised salmon 2/week or white fish and raw goats cheese, keifer. I also use organic extra virigin coconut oil, Juice Organics Shampoo and Conditioner, and I only wash my hair 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I'll throw an egg in my hair...ONLY organic pasture raised eggs! I won't touch the crap eggs from regular stores. Sometimes I'll also put avocado in my hair and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. I also have a special brush that doesn't break my hair and I don't comb it when it's wet nor do I brush it. I also use essential oils to really moisturize my hair, and of course being careful with the protein/moisture balance.

Also, Whey shakes daily from grass fed, ethically treated cows. Omega 3 fish oil supplements from Whole Foods, 2000 mg/day. Multivitamin. Arteisian Well water which has lots of sulphur in it..stimulates growth. Peppermint oils on scap, Ylang Ylang III essential oils. Coconut oil deep conditioner 1/week. NO HEAT. I wear braids often, which is supposed to increase hair growth. ALSO, Sulphate free shampooo/cond. I have a filter to get all the chlorine out of my shower water. Chlorine dries out hair.

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
My mother also has very thick/long chocolate colored hair, which grows super fast. She does not dye it. I don't dye my hair anymore either, and that has also helped!

Avital88
June 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM
im currently in that zone again... I have it every june.july,august.. around 1.5 inches to 2 inches a month,its insane. normally i grow around 3/4 to an inch a month.
But ive just cut back to hip from between tbl and classic and i really want my length back so this is very welcome..
i measure by roots too

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Vitamin D does the body GOOD!!

ladylowtide
June 19th, 2012, 12:20 PM
My monthly growth rate varies so much .25 - 1 inch. That I just stick with my annual growth rate which is around 8 inches.

ravenreed
June 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
My hair grows in fits and spurts. I have periods where it doesn't seem to grow much at all, and periods where it grows like a weed. I average about .6 inches per month.

Arden
June 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
ok I want to know where you got your shower head. I have been looking for one and can't find it...

My hair averages about an inch per month, and I thought that was good, but wow!

I only use shampoo once a week and wash with peppermint castel soap every other day... I had no idea the peppermint was of benifit but that might explain some of it... I noticed since I started using it that my groth speed increased but I assumed it was because I wasnt using the detergent on my hair....

I'm going to borrow some of your routine and see if that helps further. That's awsome... what brand of water are you drinking?

MestizoGypsy
June 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Are you doing anything besides the peppermint oil and head massages to make it grow? My hair grows SO SLOW. I know a fair amount about hair, having been obsessed with mine from a young age, but no matter what I do, it barely grows. I think I get 1/2 inch a month.

jeanniet
June 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Are you doing anything besides the peppermint oil and head massages to make it grow? My hair grows SO SLOW. I know a fair amount about hair, having been obsessed with mine from a young age, but no matter what I do, it barely grows. I think I get 1/2 inch a month.
1/2" per month is average, not slow. It just seems slow because it's your hair. I don't measure because, frankly, hair grows the way it does. :shrug: Sometimes it's really fast and sometimes not so fast. If you don't have a great diet, I'd work on improving that because it's good for your general health, but other than that, patience is the best way to get to long hair.

Colourful
June 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Is this even possible. :O Okay, my hair grew 1,2 in last month.. but 1,5. I'm jealous in a good way. :-)

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I read your regime a few posts back.
Sounds like you are very very healthy :)
And it just goes to prove: Grow your hair from the inside out.

poppy81
June 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm still trying to work my growth rate out as I am growing out dyed hair.

Odonata
June 19th, 2012, 05:07 PM
mine doesnt - bout 1/2-1"/month depending of time of year- my bestfriend tho i am pretty sure hers does - she'll cut her hair to around shoulder and 2-3 years later it'll be wais or hip/tailbone and she'll just chop it off again

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM
@Arden, I got it from Home depot! Ask for the chlorine filter. Also, I must note that my skin is also not dry any longer since using it, yay!

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
@Odonata, I do that too! I'll cut it to shoulder every once in a while, then grow it back out. MY hair grows best in the summer time. Winter I average 1 inch to 1.5.

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
@MestizoGypsy, on page 2 I listed in detail what I do, from diet to lifestyle. I think the most important is diet, then comes the way you treat your hair. Using heat, rubber bands, dyes, chemical products will all damage the hair. Also, cutting inches does NOT make your hair grow. It's micro-trimming the split ends that helps.

Anywhere
June 19th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I wear braids often, which is supposed to increase hair growth.

I don't actually think braids increase growth, or at least, not plain braids. If you're talking cornrows, then maybe. Some of my AA friends have told me that braids help their hair grow because it pulls on the root (and protects the hair, which, while not "growing" is certainly "retaining"). And I'm still not even certain that I believe the tightness is aiding growth, as I've seen some receding hairlines from their tight braids.

But if we're talking plain english/french/dutch braids, I'd imagine that only helps retain the length and protect it from damage as any protective style would.

4C4rly4
June 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Luckyyy :O
I just started measuring my hair and it hasn't been a month yet, so I have yet to find out how much my hair grows in one month!

SurferB
June 19th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Anywhere-- Yeah, that's probably what it does. I just heard it somewhere. Idk whatever I'm doing is definitely working wonders. I'm pleased!:disco:

my2cats1
June 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM
SurferB, what brand whey do you use? I don't think I've seen one that comes from grass-fed cows.

leilasahhar
June 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Sun!! herb poo ;) and redwood roots MIST! Look it up ya'll I love these hippies who created this stuff! Im sure there are others out there, I've tried tomake my own but this stuff has it all.

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I try new hair growth myths once a month. So far I've only gotten 1 inch from solpher and biotin.

Zindell
June 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I don't measure my hairgrowth but I do know my hair grows way faster during the summer months! I already noticed it during this first summer month in Sweden... it's almost as I can see the difference from day to day! I love it :)

During the rest of the year I guess my hair grows the average of 1 to 1,5 cm a month ...

jeanniet
June 19th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Most cows are pastured. At least they are here. Dairy products would be really expensive otherwise.

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Copied from profile:

I'm eating a clean diet (vegetarian), as always. I eat 2-3 organic free range pasture eggs everyday. I eat plenty of fruit and veggies. I only eat Whole Foods Market farmed raised salmon 2/week or white fish and raw goats cheese, keifer. I also use organic extra virigin coconut oil, Juice Organics Shampoo and Conditioner, and I only wash my hair 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I'll throw an egg in my hair...ONLY organic pasture raised eggs! I won't touch the crap eggs from regular stores. Sometimes I'll also put avocado in my hair and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. I also have a special brush that doesn't break my hair and I don't comb it when it's wet nor do I brush it. I also use essential oils to really moisturize my hair, and of course being careful with the protein/moisture balance.

Also, Whey shakes daily from grass fed, ethically treated cows. Omega 3 fish oil supplements from Whole Foods, 2000 mg/day. Multivitamin. Arteisian Well water which has lots of sulphur in it..stimulates growth. Peppermint oils on scap, Ylang Ylang III essential oils. Coconut oil deep conditioner 1/week. NO HEAT. I wear braids often, which is supposed to increase hair growth. ALSO, Sulphate free shampooo/cond. I have a filter to get all the chlorine out of my shower water. Chlorine dries out hair.

Crazy expensive routine, count me out. Le sigh.

SurferB
June 20th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Crazy expensive routine, count me out. Le sigh.

It's actually not expensive. I'm a college student, able to afford this on a limited budget. I just don't go out and spend money on stuff I don't need. ;-P Btw, there's a lot of tricks to shopping that I use, like shopping on sat. b/c theres more sales. This is not just for my hair growth. I'm also doing this for overall health. It's worth it (:

Teufelchen
June 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM
It's actually not expensive. I'm a college student, able to afford this on a limited budget. I just don't go out and spend money on stuff I don't need. ;-P Btw, there's a lot of tricks to shopping that I use, like shopping on sat. b/c theres more sales. This is not just for my hair growth. I'm also doing this for overall health. It's worth it (:
I have to totally agree with that.
A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to be expensive if you plan your shopping tours. Get only what you need, try to look for sales, combine them, no unnecceary spends.

I am a student as well, and even though I am not vegetarian, I have a very healthy lifestyle compared to others. I agree with you that such a lifestyle is totally doable on a limited budget. :)

I think I will try some of your tips and tricks, as I can surely increase my egg intake, apart from that we have a very similar diet, only that I have either poultry or lamb about once a week and I have fish more often. :)

henné
June 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I don't measure my hairgrowth but I do know my hair grows way faster during the summer months! I already noticed it during this first summer month in Sweden... it's almost as I can see the difference from day to day! I love it :)

During the rest of the year I guess my hair grows the average of 1 to 1,5 cm a month ...

It might be due to lack of vitamin D (sunshine) during winter and possibly a sunshine overload during summer :) I live in Sweden too. I'm not sure whether my hair grows faster in summer though as I've never measured until now :) I've gotten a comfortable one inch each month since I joined here.

PixxieStix
June 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
The most I have measured in a month for my hair was 3/4 of an inch, with a very average 1/2 inch per month. I do a very healthy diet, plenty of water, exercise, moderate sun exposure. I've been doing daily scalp massages for months now, just recently added rosemary oil to them as it is supposed to have hair stimulating benefits, but I think I'll add in peppermint too and see if that does anything. I can't tell you how much I would LOVE 1-2 inches of growth per month, but as long as it keeps growing I think I'll be happy. :)

Fluffy01
June 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Can you tell me which brand if artesian water you use? I haven't heard of it being better due to sulfur. That is neat. Thanks!

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM

I have to totally agree with that.
A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to be expensive if you plan your shopping tours. Get only what you need, try to look for sales, combine them, no unnecceary spends.

I am a student as well, and even though I am not vegetarian, I have a very healthy lifestyle compared to others. I agree with you that such a lifestyle is totally doable on a limited budget. :)

I think I will try some of your tips and tricks, as I can surely increase my egg intake, apart from that we have a very similar diet, only that I have either poultry or lamb about once a week and I have fish more often. :)

Without offering too many unsavory details about my money situation (I'm a graduate student as well living in an area with a high cost of living), please take my word for it when I say that it is quite expensive and no, I'm not spending my money willy-nilly on things I don't need. I'm already living as frugally as I can in other areas of my life--a coconut oil and jojoba oil gift from my parents notwithstanding. The vast majority of the items I marvel over on LHC (as you possibly see in the comments) I do not end up buying.

I do eat as healthfully as I can on a budget (lots of vegetables, lean meat... etc.) but sometimes it is hard to keep that budget and not eat the same foods over and over again. Organic is EXPENSIVE here and it adds up. I try to eat organic and ethically raised when I can, but I have a budget and it is not as simple as just being more frugal elsewhere. I'm not some uninformed person who just doesn't get it. I read the articles on healthy living. I read recipes. I go to the grocery store and I see the prices with my own eyes.

I'm not asking for pity, but when someone says something is expensive, nod and acknowledge that for some people it is.

ETA: there is also a time and transportation issue. Between a job, journal work, school work, and clinic work, planning my shopping trips accordingly is difficult. Between my boss, clients and my professors, sometimes the only time I can get to a grocery store is a random Tuesday night, and I just have to deal with that.

SurferB
June 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Fluffly01--- I pick up my water from a spring I found near by me. Findaspring.com has info about underground springs. I DON'T buy bottled water, or city water. It's full of god-knows-what. Be aware of the springs near you, and the history of that land. I prefer water from an aquifer, as long as the water is tested and clean. Look up Daniel Vitalis on water. He's awesome.

SurferB
June 20th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hint of Mint--- Some ideas to help you: I'm a grad student as well, living on my own, and very limited budget in a high cost town. I can only work 30 hours per week max, while going to school. I'm a nutritionist, working at a gym. Ehh..pay.

Can you grow your own food? I do that as well. I have a large garden in the back with Kale, swiss chard, apple tree, pear tree, parsley, cilantro, lambs quarter, heirloom tomatoes, reg tomatoes, maggi for veg broth, green onions, horse radish, etc.

Another idea is to go to farmers markets right before closing and see whats leftover. I sometimes shop for free # FM's. You can work out deals w/ the farmers, too. I like to ask if I can buy a box of "xxxx" that looks not purchasable, for a discount. They always say yes! And sometimes only 1$ for an entire box of food!!

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hint of Mint--- Some ideas to help you: I'm a grad student as well, living on my own, and very limited budget in a high cost town. I can only work 30 hours per week max, while going to school. I'm a nutritionist, working at a gym. Ehh..pay.

Can you grow your own food? I do that as well. I have a large garden in the back with Kale, swiss chard, apple tree, pear tree, parsley, cilantro, lambs quarter, heirloom tomatoes, reg tomatoes, maggi for veg broth, green onions, horse radish, etc.

Another idea is to go to farmers markets right before closing and see whats leftover. I sometimes shop for free # FM's. You can work out deals w/ the farmers, too. I like to ask if I can buy a box of "xxxx" that looks not purchasable, for a discount. They always say yes! And sometimes only 1$ for an entire box of food!!

Those are very good ideas!
I'm wondering if there are things I can grow indoors as I don't have an outdoor area.
Farmers Markets are definitely a good idea when I have the time. I'm a law student and time is definitely an issue. But these are great ideas.

Fluffy01
June 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Fluffly01--- I pick up my water from a spring I found near by me. Findaspring.com has info about underground springs. I DON'T buy bottled water, or city water. It's full of god-knows-what. Be aware of the springs near you, and the history of that land. I prefer water from an aquifer, as long as the water is tested and clean. Look up Daniel Vitalis on water. He's awesome.

Thank you so much! I will look into that although I doubt I will have a fresh source near where I live. I'm guessing the next best thing would be some of the artesian water in the store like Fiji or Voss maybe? I have well water at my house, so it's probably not as bad as treated city water I hope. I mostly drink that or Dasani right now. :/

Do you add anything to your EO's for your scalp like a carrier oil or does the peppermint not burn by itself?

Thanks! :)

SurferB
June 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you so much! I will look into that although I doubt I will have a fresh source near where I live. I'm guessing the next best thing would be some of the artesian water in the store like Fiji or Voss maybe? I have well water at my house, so it's probably not as bad as treated city water I hope. I mostly drink that or Dasani right now. :/

Do you add anything to your EO's for your scalp like a carrier oil or does the peppermint not burn by itself?

Thanks! :)

Peppermint oil has to be diluted with water or such carrier oils. I wouldn't put it on the scap alone, since it's concentrated.

Spring water from an actualy spring is different from bottled water that states "spring". Bottled water companies are allowed to lie and state that it's spring water, when it could really just be tap water. I used to drink Fiji from time to time, until I found out it's also not from a natural spring like it states... ;(

Well water is better than tap water, as long as it's tested for safety. Structured water is so-so good for you.

Teufelchen
June 21st, 2012, 01:20 AM
Those are very good ideas!
I'm wondering if there are things I can grow indoors as I don't have an outdoor area.
Farmers Markets are definitely a good idea when I have the time. I'm a law student and time is definitely an issue. But these are great ideas.
Some universities have farmer markets.Maybe your one has one as well.
I understand your issue about organic food. Maybe you can get some from local farmers that may not have a certificate that allowes them to label it organic, but still are very close, which would be much cheaper than "real" organic. Also try products that are in season, as they are usually cheaper then.
As growing things indoor. Passionfruit definitly grows indoors and flowers quite regularly and producing fruits if pollenized. That would even add a bit of luxury to your nutrition. :) It really depends if you have a day/night temperature difference, than it is possible to grow way more things or if you have a chilly place in winter. Herbs are definitly happy to grow on the windowsil as well. I guess you have to do some experimenting with other plants.

jojo
June 21st, 2012, 08:20 AM
I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Mexico and I had an inch growth during that time, my hair was last trimmed in May (siggi photo) and is back to nearly hip again. I think stopping smoking and the sun has really sped my hair growth speed up; I normally get 6" a year, some months I grow lots and others nothing. I am thinking 2012 is my growth spurt year!

spookyghost
June 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Without offering too many unsavory details about my money situation (I'm a graduate student as well living in an area with a high cost of living), please take my word for it when I say that it is quite expensive and no, I'm not spending my money willy-nilly on things I don't need. I'm already living as frugally as I can in other areas of my life--a coconut oil and jojoba oil gift from my parents notwithstanding. The vast majority of the items I marvel over on LHC (as you possibly see in the comments) I do not end up buying.

I do eat as healthfully as I can on a budget (lots of vegetables, lean meat... etc.) but sometimes it is hard to keep that budget and not eat the same foods over and over again. Organic is EXPENSIVE here and it adds up. I try to eat organic and ethically raised when I can, but I have a budget and it is not as simple as just being more frugal elsewhere. I'm not some uninformed person who just doesn't get it. I read the articles on healthy living. I read recipes. I go to the grocery store and I see the prices with my own eyes.

I'm not asking for pity, but when someone says something is expensive, nod and acknowledge that for some people it is.

ETA: there is also a time and transportation issue. Between a job, journal work, school work, and clinic work, planning my shopping trips accordingly is difficult. Between my boss, clients and my professors, sometimes the only time I can get to a grocery store is a random Tuesday night, and I just have to deal with that.

I totally agree with this. Im glad its not expensive for some but I honestly dont know how it isnt! My dh has a wonderful job as do I and I still feel like I cant afford to eat that way. Dont get me wrong, we eat very healthy-no sugars, carbs, fattening greasy foods, or processed foods. But if I want to buy sallmon, grass fed meat, and healthy eggs and stuff-wow the bill is horendous. And I do shop with coupons and do sales. Now I am also buying for my son and dh. It isnt just me that I would be buying all that for but still. Im not saying it cant be done but I cant do it!:lol:

mojavewolf1
June 23rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Ok I just came back after not being here for a long time..Growing my hair back! How can you tell ,how much your hair grows a month? and how can you tell what type of hair you have? Thanks...

SurferB
June 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Take photos of your hair each month.

SurferB
June 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Spookyghost-- I'm not sure how much your paying for groceries, but my weekly total average is only $80-90 for 2 and that's mostly organic. If I were to buy conventional, my health would not be as great in the long run, and I would end up paying for it somehow. I'd rather pay extra $$ now rather than later on. It's really not as expensive as people think it is. It's actually becoming much cheaper than it used to be, which is great!!

firegypsy
June 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
SurferB, what brand whey do you use? I don't think I've seen one that comes from grass-fed cows.

Not SurferB but I use designs for health paleomeal. it's whey based and from grass fed cows.

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've not yet measured the rate of growth (next official length check will be 11th July), but I'm pretty sure my hair grows faster than average.

For example, check these pics out. The left is from April, the right from this month.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/600998_4219336002079_1352114472_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/533474_4219373203009_781089079_n.jpg

I'll report back next month with my growth, then I can work out an average.

GenLove86
June 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I started using monistat in May and my hair grew 3/4" by June. I usually grow 1/2" if that. It could also be the Summer months. I heard that makes hair grow faster. I'm not entirely sure, this is my first year that I am really measuring my hair growth. I might make a hair diary. It could help me track what is working.

my2cats1
June 24th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Not SurferB but I use designs for health paleomeal. it's whey based and from grass fed cows.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

my2cats1
June 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I've not yet measured the rate of growth (next official length check will be 11th July), but I'm pretty sure my hair grows faster than average.

Whoa, CurlyCurves! :thudpile:
You got A LOT of growth in such a short time!!! Yep, I would guess you are a lucky fast grower.

RileyJane
June 24th, 2012, 03:32 PM
mine for the past 7 months has been growing at about that rate :) bu only if I keep away from the straightener and dyes!

Shadow Walker
June 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I've roughly tripled my hair growth per month since I cut bad stuff out if my diet and began taking supplements. I've been getting so much growth that I'm seriously considering a chop to get rid of sun damage.

-Cookiez-
June 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think my hair grows that fast too. My hair grows like a weed at times, specially my bangs. I had to learn how to cut my own bangs because I couldn't afford the cost of getting them styled every few weeks.

SwordWomanRiona
June 24th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mine grows at an average rate of 0.5" per month, which I consider fast growing at my length, but wow, 1.5" per month is amazing!

I'm also interested about your secrets ;)

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Whoa, CurlyCurves! :thudpile:
You got A LOT of growth in such a short time!!! Yep, I would guess you are a lucky fast grower.

I love it when I get the 'thud' :D

Thank you! I hope I am :) I'm SO excited for my July length check.

Here's something kinda funny (to me, anyway :D). I use my tattoos as a growth benchmark. I use the birds for checking my hair from the front, and my planets from the back.

Currently just past 'Earth' length, hoping to be Mid-Mars length by the 11th :D

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208866_4240362367725_23399808_n.jpg

SwordWomanRiona
June 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Here's something kinda funny (to me, anyway :D). I use my tattoos as a growth benchmark. I use the birds for checking my hair from the front, and my planets from the back.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208866_4240362367725_23399808_n.jpg

Off topic, but that's so cool about your planet tattoos!! *Astrophysicist student squealing in delight :)*

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Well, well - I done a quick length check today and would you look at this?!?!?!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/555781_4240549252397_773355588_n.jpg

:eek::eek:

Growth?!?!!?!?!? Already?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Off topic, but that's so cool about your planet tattoos!! *Astrophysicist student squealing in delight :)*

:D:D:D:D thank you! Just you wait until they're finished, missie ;)

carolinaberry
June 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Spookyghost-- I'm not sure how much your paying for groceries, but my weekly total average is only $80-90 for 2 and that's mostly organic. If I were to buy conventional, my health would not be as great in the long run, and I would end up paying for it somehow. I'd rather pay extra $$ now rather than later on. It's really not as expensive as people think it is. It's actually becoming much cheaper than it used to be, which is great!!

I think what you may not understand is that if you only have $50, it doesn't matter that if you spend almost double that it still "isn't that expensive" to someone who CAN spend almost double that. If you don't get it, ok, but if someone says they have tried to buy organic and can't afford it, you should take them on their word. I have 4 kids who all seem to be constantly growing, and let me tell you, if I want my kids to have enough to eat, I can't worry about what the cows and chickens ate or how ethically they were treated. In an ideal situation, I WOULD choose otherwise, but as it is, I choose what we can afford.

ETA: I don't mean anyone any disrespect. I just think that you may not realize that what is feasible for you really may not be feasible for others. Disregarding the reality of others, and insisting that if YOU can make it work, then if they can't it is because they are not trying hard enough is disrespectful, even if it is inadvertent.

TheMechaGinger
June 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think my hair grows pretty fast, I had fringe above my eyebrows in march that's now down to the tip of my nose now but I don't measure it exactly because then I get obsessed over every tiny quarter inch and it drives me insane! But silica has really helped boost my growth, I take a tablespoon D.E about every other day

SurferB
June 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I think what you may not understand is that if you only have $50, it doesn't matter that if you spend almost double that it still "isn't that expensive" to someone who CAN spend almost double that. If you don't get it, ok, but if someone says they have tried to buy organic and can't afford it, you should take them on their word. I have 4 kids who all seem to be constantly growing, and let me tell you, if I want my kids to have enough to eat, I can't worry about what the cows and chickens ate or how ethically they were treated. In an ideal situation, I WOULD choose otherwise, but as it is, I choose what we can afford.

ETA: I don't mean anyone any disrespect. I just think that you may not realize that what is feasible for you really may not be feasible for others. Disregarding the reality of others, and insisting that if YOU can make it work, then if they can't it is because they are not trying hard enough is disrespectful, even if it is inadvertent.

I think you took what I said out of context. Most people assume organic, or healthy super markets are expensive, when most are actually not. The reason why I even replied to her was to help. As a college student, I showed an example of what my weekly costs are to further explain my point. I was trying to help, and I didn't see your posting as helpful to others. If you choose conventional foods for your family, hey, that's up to you. I understand.

MrsGuther
June 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
During not my pregnancies I would average about 1.5 inches of hair growth a month some months. My usual growth rate is 3/4 an inch per month.

starry
June 24th, 2012, 11:26 PM
yeah mines growing super fast since going water only and taking really good care of it.

christyrose
June 24th, 2012, 11:46 PM
My hair grows pretty fast too. I eat healthy but I dont get to do organic everything, and we do eat meat at least once a day, and drink filtered tap water, etc... My mom was unhealthy and her hair grew to her apl if not just shy of that and didnt grow anymore. I think health effects your hair a ton! I think eating lots of veggies and getting a lot of vitamins from your foods, like not eating fast food/ processed food helps. We are on a super tight grocery budget right now while getting out of debt and I find its more frugal to cook like this rather than unhealthy. I would love to one day switch to organic and home grow meats and other foods, but for now we just eat a lot of salads, chicken, and other fruits and veggies. I would say that I have noticed a HUGE change in my hair and how I feel since I was eating healthy, but cut out sweets and extra salt in my diet and taking vitamins regularly...

HintOfMint
June 25th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I didn't mean to start a fight/thread hijack with my exchange with SurferB.

While it can be frustrating to be told that it's not expensive when to some people it is, I realize it can be annoying to be told that someone's grocery bill is expensive. It puts people on the defensive. SurferB, I had absolutely no intention of making you feel that way.

You have some very good advice and I intend to use it.

However, please understand that my budget is some over 50 dollars but WELL BELOW $80 - 90 per week. Perhaps if we had talked clear dollar amounts before, this tense exchange on the thread would have been cleared up long before.

It wasn't always this way, this money-tight situation is very new to me. So I understand not thinking that certain foods are expensive. But I am in a situation where certain things are expensive when they weren't previously. It is all context.

That being said, you have brought some interesting food ideas to mind and I plan to incorporate them into my routine when I can. Perhaps I won't be able to afford your entire grocery bill, but I can be able to have some of the groceries that I previously assumed to be too expensive.

I hope that clears everything up and I apologize for bringing conflict into the thread.

HazyMoon
June 25th, 2012, 02:25 AM

Off topic, but this is an awesome tattoo! It's great for hair length measurements.
At this point, I think I'm averaging around 3/4 an inch each month.

Edit: I noticed shortly after that SwordWoman posted a very similar comment. We astro students can't help ourselves!

SwordWomanRiona
June 25th, 2012, 03:31 AM
:D:D:D:D thank you! Just you wait until they're finished, missie ;)

:D Why, are you going to add the asteroids-belt, too? What about the Sun, is it there? :D

It seems you reached Mars already!

(Sorry for the hijacking, OP!!)

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Off topic, but this is an awesome tattoo! It's great for hair length measurements.
At this point, I think I'm averaging around 3/4 an inch each month.

Edit: I noticed shortly after that SwordWoman posted a very similar comment. We astro students can't help ourselves!

Thank you, and it's perfect, isn't it?! I probably subconsciously had that in mind when I decided to get it :D

And ahahahaha :p

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM
:D Why, are you going to add the asteroids-belt, too? What about the Sun, is it there? :D

It seems you reached Mars already!

(Sorry for the hijacking, OP!!)

It seems I have! Take a look at this;

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/209002_4242940952188_600248703_n.jpg

So ... next mini goal is Jupiter :D:D

And the sun isn't there, yet ;) I want an astroid belt - I have a session in literally ten minutes, I'll try and get him to add that in there :D:D

I must be off for my session now, wish me luck! It's painful as HELL.

SwordWomanRiona
June 25th, 2012, 10:53 AM
It seems I have! Take a look at this;

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/209002_4242940952188_600248703_n.jpg

So ... next mini goal is Jupiter :D:D

And the sun isn't there, yet ;) I want an astroid belt - I have a session in literally ten minutes, I'll try and get him to add that in there :D:D

I must be off for my session now, wish me luck! It's painful as HELL.

Good luck, you're much braver than me! Astrophysics student, yes, but trypanophobic too :scared:!

But it must be sooo cool (not to mention deliciously nerdy!) to tell someone 'Hey, my hair's getting long, it has just reached Mars!' :D

No, we can't :D! Pleased to meet you, fellow astro student, btw :waving:!

Fortunately the OP won't kill me for this huge hijack...

SurferB
June 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
@Hint of Mint--

No problem, and don't worry. Idk if you saw but that was the total cost for 2 people, so 45$ for just me per week. I use those tips all the time, too. Sometimes you get real lucky with free food. Awesome~ness.

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Good luck, you're much braver than me! Astrophysics student, yes, but trypanophobic too :scared:!

But it must be sooo cool (not to mention deliciously nerdy!) to tell someone 'Hey, my hair's getting long, it has just reached Mars!' :D

No, we can't :D! Pleased to meet you, fellow astro student, btw :waving:!

Fortunately the OP won't kill me for this huge hijack...

Hahaha, I just try to forget that they're needles and they're going in my skin. Eek, I was so nervous, though. It hurt so much.

christyrose
June 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I feed a family of 4 and 2 dogs, 3 cats off 350-400 a month including all toiletries, diapers for one child, animal food, tp, and anything else we need that month... Makeup, tooth paste, shampoo. So anyway we eat healthy, super healthy, lots of greens, and still get some farmers market stuff. I have found a ton of ways to make healthy food on a budget, but it didnt happen overnight. I also have found ways to do laundry soap and cleaning supplies, and such for less so I can have more room in our food budget! We cook whole chickens all the time, and I dont buy expensive prepackaged things... I also learned where to get things for less. I choose one thing each month to focus on doing for less until I got better at it. I think its very doable, but it did take about a year for me to be that creative with healthy foods. The only thing we buy canned is spahgetti sauce and green beans, and the only thing we buy boxed is pasta noodles. The only thing we buy in a bag is bread when I dont make my own and cereal in bulk that has oats and little sugar. I also buy organic flour and organic oats in bulk for less than the cheapest brands in the stores! If there is someone near you that you know that eats uber healthy talk to them or find online forums like baby center has the crunchy mamas group, thats were I have learned a ton!! Oh also I never make desserts, we dont buy sugar or flour for baking (only whole wheat for bread) so I never have to restock those kind of things! Spices are cheap and used for everything no premade mixes or marinades. We do bad for you boxed chocolate pudding 2x a month for dessert or homemade granola bars, but all that consists of under 10 dollars a month. We do our homemade chickens and I get a ton of broth for soups or other meals, with way less sodium, and we make salads, fajitas, enchaladas, or sandwhiches with it as well as a just chicken meal so the 5 dollar chicken makes us 4 meals!! Eventually I will spend twice as much and get organic but we cant yet! We also buy unprocessed sea salt that costs about 7 dollars but the small bag has lasted us 6 months and we still have half left! We didnt use to eat as healthy when we first met and got married, but we both feel better and have more energy now, and our food budget with 2 kids added now is half of what it was!!!

Debra83
June 26th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I feed a family of 4 and 2 dogs, 3 cats off 350-400 a month including all toiletries, diapers for one child, animal food, tp, and anything else we need that month... Makeup, tooth paste, shampoo. So anyway we eat healthy, super healthy, lots of greens, and still get some farmers market stuff. I have found a ton of ways to make healthy food on a budget, but it didnt happen overnight. I also have found ways to do laundry soap and cleaning supplies, and such for less so I can have more room in our food budget! We cook whole chickens all the time, and I dont buy expensive prepackaged things... I also learned where to get things for less. I choose one thing each month to focus on doing for less until I got better at it. I think its very doable, but it did take about a year for me to be that creative with healthy foods. The only thing we buy canned is spahgetti sauce and green beans, and the only thing we buy boxed is pasta noodles. The only thing we buy in a bag is bread when I dont make my own and cereal in bulk that has oats and little sugar. I also buy organic flour and organic oats in bulk for less than the cheapest brands in the stores! If there is someone near you that you know that eats uber healthy talk to them or find online forums like baby center has the crunchy mamas group, thats were I have learned a ton!! Oh also I never make desserts, we dont buy sugar or flour for baking (only whole wheat for bread) so I never have to restock those kind of things! Spices are cheap and used for everything no premade mixes or marinades. We do bad for you boxed chocolate pudding 2x a month for dessert or homemade granola bars, but all that consists of under 10 dollars a month. We do our homemade chickens and I get a ton of broth for soups or other meals, with way less sodium, and we make salads, fajitas, enchaladas, or sandwhiches with it as well as a just chicken meal so the 5 dollar chicken makes us 4 meals!! Eventually I will spend twice as much and get organic but we cant yet! We also buy unprocessed sea salt that costs about 7 dollars but the small bag has lasted us 6 months and we still have half left! We didnt use to eat as healthy when we first met and got married, but we both feel better and have more energy now, and our food budget with 2 kids added now is half of what it was!!!

you are my hero.

I live in Canada, in a part where to put less than half a tank of gas in my car is 35.00 (mine has good mileage), a jug of milk is 5 or 6 dollars, and a pouch of tobacco which lasts me about 4 or 5 days costs 26 dollars. minimum wage is about 9.00 an hour. It is very expensive to live on this part of the planet. I have 2 cats for whom I buy kitty litter, canned food and dry food. A small bag of dry food cost me 12.00 and lasts about 2 weeks. A can a day is what they get on top of it and if I'm lucky, I find them on sale for about 70 cents a can. Yes, I could not have cats, a car, and maybe be able to quit smoking, but I choose to work 2 jobs instead because it's my choice!!!

I would definitely like to see random drug testing come in for those on social assistance (welfare) and unemployment. It irks me that I have to contribute to party lifestyles, when more of the money I contribute could be going to help families truly in need. Our local food bank patronage doubled in a year. Something is definitely wrong with our "social net". I think it has a great big hole in it.

*end hijack*

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Man, I so need help with food budgeting but I love the tips. I need to work on this. Seriously. Our food budget per month seems to run up to $1,000.

SurferB
June 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Thank you so much for providing your feedback! Your children sound very healthy compared to some of the families I see at my nutrition job ;-P

Again, I must say I have saved soooo much $$ by eating this way. There are many tips and tricks out there! I also found out that you can print out coupons online at stores before you go shopping.. That's helps, too. I used to spend $15 each night for dinner for two. We would spend well over 200 per week on food. Now I average around $5 for a healthy dinner for two and lunch/bfast is much cheaper.

SurferB
June 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Shop in season. Best tip ever, hands down.

christyrose
June 26th, 2012, 01:50 AM
you are my hero.

I live in Canada, in a part where to put less than half a tank of gas in my car is 35.00 (mine has good mileage), a jug of milk is 5 or 6 dollars, and a pouch of tobacco which lasts me about 4 or 5 days costs 26 dollars. minimum wage is about 9.00 an hour. It is very expensive to live on this part of the planet. I have 2 cats for whom I buy kitty litter, canned food and dry food. A small bag of dry food cost me 12.00 and lasts about 2 weeks. A can a day is what they get on top of it and if I'm lucky, I find them on sale for about 70 cents a can. Yes, I could not have cats, a car, and maybe be able to quit smoking, but I choose to work 2 jobs instead because it's my choice!!!

I would definitely like to see random drug testing come in for those on social assistance (welfare) and unemployment. It irks me that I have to contribute to party lifestyles, when more of the money I contribute could be going to help families truly in need. Our local food bank patronage doubled in a year. Something is definitely wrong with our "social net". I think it has a great big hole in it.

*end hijack*

Wow, things are definitely more spendy there! Milk here is like 3-4.50 a gallon and with 2 kids they drink a lot. We dont drink milk very often so that helps! I live in the highest price gas in the country rigth now. Its insane, so I feel you. I would definitely have to have an extra hundred dollars with the grocery prices there!!

My husband and I go on welfare kicks all the time! We both feel like its such a huge help to families and single moms who need it, but I do wish they didnt allow anything unhealthy or premade on it, like take out pizzas and such. I mean they give people here like 800 or more a month for groceries and honestly what I see a lot of people getting is frozen dinners and chips, candy and soda. I just hate that tax money is going toward unhealthy eating, and most importantly feeding children so unhealthy. I am so proud of the fact that my 3 year old loves salad and asks for it. He actually likes the taste and wants to eat it because thats all he knows. I never grew up like that, so I had a lot to learn when I had kids! I only knew how to cook unhealthy meals, and my husbands family only cooked fried southern style cooking. It was a little trial and error, but he likes the food I make... now... LOL.

"Man, I so need help with food budgeting but I love the tips. I need to work on this. Seriously. Our food budget per month seems to run up to $1,000."

If you have it to spend and your comfortable with it, I dont see a problem. We dont have that much to spend so its easy not to, but I could see spending a lot more than we do to eat all organic and I would literally only shop at the health food store if we could!! If you want an extra few hundred for something more fun that food though I could probably help! :)

"Thank you so much for providing your feedback! Your children sound very healthy compared to some of the families I see at my nutrition job ;-P

Again, I must say I have saved soooo much $$ by eating this way. There are many tips and tricks out there! I also found out that you can print out coupons online at stores before you go shopping.. That's helps, too. I used to spend $15 each night for dinner for two. We would spend well over 200 per week on food. Now I average around $5 for a healthy dinner for two and lunch/bfast is much cheaper. "

Yeah sorry to comment so much. I am super passionate about this too though. I hear a lot of people saying how much cheaper fast food is and it honestly makes me mad! Poor families think they are saving money by getting dollar cheese burgers, but they could make a meal with leftovers that is way more filling for that price.... not to mention fewer calories and less fat etc.. I watched the documentary "fat sick and nearly dead" and it bothered me that this family of 4 was saying that eating out was cheaper than going and buying fruits and veggies and healthier food options. I would say yes, if you are looking for fast food in the store then yes its more expensive! Sorry rant over.LOL.

firegypsy
June 26th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Calorie for calorie fast food IS cheaper than whole foods. I don't even think we can debate that. Show me any "whole food" you can get that provides over 3,000 calories for under a dollar. When people are literally counting their pennies that dollar menu is going to keep their bellies full longer than anything from a farmer's market.

Whether it's cheaper or not isn't really the issue. If you're talking nourishing calories then it's a totally different story. But the biggest problems in my opinion are the subsidies that make the junk food so cheap. I just think we can only heal this when we start being honest about the issues, you know?

Also the comparisons of grocery bills/budgets only makes sense in context. I live in a very high COL area, and my budget may seem absurd to many, but the reality is there is no way I could feed a family of 5 on $350 a month here. It just can't happen. I'm sure others are in the same boat. :)

There are definitely tricks to eating well, and my family has been eating a home made, whole foods, veggie based omnivorous diet that is gluten, dairy, soy and refined sugar free for a decade. I have 3 children and a husband to feed as well. I buy most of my staples in bulk, including eggs, coconut and nut flours, spices etc. I'm certainly not advocating fast food-my children have never eaten at a fast food restaurant ever. Not once. I just can't pretend that healthy food is cheaper. I agree there are ways to make it more manageable, but if I could shop at a price club for all our food my wallet would be much happier.

Teufelchen
June 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I hear a lot of people saying how much cheaper fast food is and it honestly makes me mad! Poor families think they are saving money by getting dollar cheese burgers, but they could make a meal with leftovers that is way more filling for that price.... not to mention fewer calories and less fat etc.. I watched the documentary "fat sick and nearly dead" and it bothered me that this family of 4 was saying that eating out was cheaper than going and buying fruits and veggies and healthier food options. I would say yes, if you are looking for fast food in the store then yes its more expensive! Sorry rant over.LOL.
That makes me mad as well.
I guess the main problem is that a lot of people never learned how to cook properly. (Even chefs have problems to prepare something without celery for example, nowadays. :eek: ) That is sad.

Ready meals are so expensive and the quoted 1$ burger is not that cheap at all, as a lot of peoples don't feel full after one, they need more.

There are lots of recipes out there for less than 1$/person and they are way healthier and keep you full for longer than a burger. :twocents:

Christyrose, I also make my broth myself, it is so much tastier, not to mention cheaper and healthier than the one you can buy.

firegypsy
June 26th, 2012, 07:32 AM
There are lots of recipes out there for less than 1$/person and they are way healthier and keep you full for longer than a burger. :twocents:

if you're able to eat them, and the cost is relevant to your area. ;)

christyrose
June 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
That makes me mad as well.
I guess the main problem is that a lot of people never learned how to cook properly. (Even chefs have problems to prepare something without celery for example, nowadays. :eek: ) That is sad.

Ready meals are so expensive and the quoted 1$ burger is not that cheap at all, as a lot of peoples don't feel full after one, they need more.

Christyrose, I also make my broth myself, it is so much tastier, not to mention cheaper and healthier than the one you can buy.

Exactly, no one feels full for as long at the very least on just one dollar burger although its over half their calorie intake for a day.. Like I said, frugal healthy eating doesnt happen overnight, but it can be done. I actually know someone who did a blog on their budget of 400 dollars for just food, nothing else like I include and they only do organic meats, fruits and everything else. It really can be done, it just takes finding out good for you affordable recipes, and ways to use that food to go further, like chicken broth, and using the same chicken for many many meals instead of just one. I guess for me we dont have a ton of extra money to use so it has to be done in that budget, and there is no way we arent going to eat healthy so it was way motivating! I am just letting people know it can be done, but I am not saying it has to! If you have more to spend then by all means spend more. I would too! If you dont have more, it can be done for less! I dont live in a super high cost of living area, but its not super cheap either. I live in Oregon, and we do have a walmart and two health food stores here, and a farmers market, they all help.

SwordWomanRiona
June 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Isn't it fun how we started talking about growing 1.5" per month and then ended up talking about Solar System tattoos and food :lol:?!

carolinaberry
July 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think you took what I said out of context. Most people assume organic, or healthy super markets are expensive, when most are actually not. The reason why I even replied to her was to help. As a college student, I showed an example of what my weekly costs are to further explain my point. I was trying to help, and I didn't see your posting as helpful to others. If you choose conventional foods for your family, hey, that's up to you. I understand.

No, you are not helpful. You replied several times that if someone can't eat LIKE YOU DO, they are doing something wrong. I buy healthy foods for my family. Lots of veggies and lean meats and whole grains. But you have stressed that organic, "ethically treated", pampered animals, etc is a must and is cheap, and it is not. YES, healthy eating on a budget is possible. But organic food is not affordable, and "ethically treated" food is just ridiculous. $45 per week per person for my family would be $270 per week-not doable.

So, it isn't helpful for someone to keep insisting that others are somehow failing or inferior since they can't buy eggs from chickens that are sung to sleep each night with lullabies. There is a difference between "healthy" eating and what you have repeated ad nauseum.

So, to those of you who need to know, healthy eating is possible just by choosing a variety of foods that are minimally processed, and you don't need to feel guilty or inferior if you can't buy food with a special label.

SurferB
July 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
No, you are not helpful. You replied several times that if someone can't eat LIKE YOU DO, they are doing something wrong. I buy healthy foods for my family. Lots of veggies and lean meats and whole grains. But you have stressed that organic, "ethically treated", pampered animals, etc is a must and is cheap, and it is not. YES, healthy eating on a budget is possible. But organic food is not affordable, and "ethically treated" food is just ridiculous. $45 per week per person for my family would be $270 per week-not doable.

So, it isn't helpful for someone to keep insisting that others are somehow failing or inferior since they can't buy eggs from chickens that are sung to sleep each night with lullabies. There is a difference between "healthy" eating and what you have repeated ad nauseum.

So, to those of you who need to know, healthy eating is possible just by choosing a variety of foods that are minimally processed, and you don't need to feel guilty or inferior if you can't buy food with a special label.

Wow, your post is not helpful.... Thanks...

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM

I have to agree with this. If I only had to feed MYSELF I am sure I could buy all organic ethically treated food, but I don't. Feeding a family is a WHOLE different kettle of fish! You have to bear in mind that just because you have a bunch of kids, doesn't mean your income goes up proportionally! You also have to consider housing, transport costs, education costs, clothing costs etc. all these things multiply when you're feeding a family. So when it comes to food, you've generally got LESS to spend per person than you do as a single person (or a couple where both people work).

So yeah, when you're feeding a family you need to make some compromises. Over here, most meat isn't too bad (in that it's generally not factory farmed), and I always buy free range eggs only, but I don't fuss over only buying organic produce which is generally far more expensive, and more limited as to what's readily and easily available locally.

I guess in an ideal world all food would be accessible, organic, ethically treated etc. etc. but we don't live in a perfect world ;). We all just have to do the best we can. I am sure that in a few years time when my kids have all grown up and left home I'll be able to afford better food :D. In the meantime, I just do what I can.

ETA: I also want to add that it can depend on where you live. There are places where food is less expensive, and organic is more easily accessible and cheaper. This is something everyone has to bear in mind! If you were to compare the grocery bill with someone who lived across country (or overseas) and had bought EXACTLY the same foods, you'd find vast differences.

I don't want to get into an argument, but I do understand how it's not always easy for EVERYONE to be able to afford the same stuff :D.

swearnsue
July 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM

Organic veggies are too expensive and forget about organic meat! I don't even look anymore because I can't afford it. We just try to eat as healthy as we can and eat something filling sometimes too just because that is reality. I guess I feel a little guilty eating mac and cheese.

firegypsy
July 1st, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have to agree with this. If I only had to feed MYSELF I am sure I could buy all organic ethically treated food, but I don't. Feeding a family is a WHOLE different kettle of fish! You have to bear in mind that just because you have a bunch of kids, doesn't mean your income goes up proportionally! You also have to consider housing, transport costs, education costs, clothing costs etc. all these things multiply when you're feeding a family. So when it comes to food, you've generally got LESS to spend per person than you do as a single person (or a couple where both people work).

So yeah, when you're feeding a family you need to make some compromises. Over here, most meat isn't too bad (in that it's generally not factory farmed), and I always buy free range eggs only, but I don't fuss over only buying organic produce which is generally far more expensive, and more limited as to what's readily and easily available locally.

I guess in an ideal world all food would be accessible, organic, ethically treated etc. etc. but we don't live in a perfect world ;). We all just have to do the best we can. I am sure that in a few years time when my kids have all grown up and left home I'll be able to afford better food :D. In the meantime, I just do what I can.

ETA: I also want to add that it can depend on where you live. There are places where food is less expensive, and organic is more easily accessible and cheaper. This is something everyone has to bear in mind! If you were to compare the grocery bill with someone who lived across country (or overseas) and had bought EXACTLY the same foods, you'd find vast differences.

I don't want to get into an argument, but I do understand how it's not always easy for EVERYONE to be able to afford the same stuff :D.

Yes. To all of this. And I'm really still not sure how anyone can assert that organic, free range, grass fed, ethically treated, hormone free etc. foods are the same or LESS EXPENSIVE than conventional food-whole or pre-packaged unless you're talking cost per nutrient. My mind still boggles.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM
We have access to the best locally farmed, organic, humanely raised meat and produce here, probably in the entire country, and I'm afraid there is no way on earth I could buy only that and spend $45 a person. Just buying a mix of organic and conventional food, our grocery bill is at least $600 a month. And I do shop carefully, and make meals from scratch. We don't eat huge quantities of meat. We eat salmon when I can get wild-caught on sale for $15 a pound. I would love to eat all local/organic, and maybe when the kids are gone we can, but right now it's not going to happen.

To be honest, though, for the most part I don't think it makes a huge difference. I prefer to buy local/organic because I want to support local farmers, but nutritionally, as long as you're eating healthy foods with plenty of fruits and veggies, you're doing OK.

SurferB
July 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM
I would have to dissagree. It all really depends on location. In IL it seems to be just as pricey as conventional, and same goes for FL. I think we should be creative. If I had a family, I would want to garden and grow as much as I could to save money and provide healthier food straight from the yard. If I had a family, I probably wouldn't shop at whole foods predominantly. I would look for farmers markets. It also depends on your situation.

blondebazinga
July 1st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Took me a while to realize that when people were saying 3/4 they meant .75 and not 3 to 4 inches. I about died with envy! :)

christyrose
July 2nd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Well all I can say is the money I spend is all I have to spend and I refuse to feed my family anything processed or with high fructose corn syrup, msg, high sodium, eggs (allergy), red 40, and I am sure there is more, but with all that I dont purchase many things from the middle of the store anymore! Pasta 2 things a month, 2 cans of organic spagetti sauce, canned green beans sometimes, and cereal once a month. Otherwise all I get is fruits and veggies, meat and dairy. I buy anything I use all in one month in bulk! I only get fruit in season and when its at its lowest price, which helps a lot too. I do use Adams peanut butter the kind you have to stir so it has no oils and my kids eat it every day for lunch with honey and they love it. For snacks we use to do bad for you stuff here and there because well its way more convenient, but I started doing fruit or home made granola bars, or yogurt and they dont mind, and actually prefer. Fruit is more expensive, but they split it in half for a snack because they are normally right before a meal anyway. I was so worried at first that I wasnt going to be able to do it at first too, but I have taken a lot of advice and followed it, and it works!

A sample of my week of food on a budget my husband usually has leftovers and I eat either a salad or pb and honey for lunch like the kids. Breakfast is low sugar oat based cereal or oats unless dad is home to make eggs and potatoes or something he enjoys... I dont mind plain stuff! I eat yogurt or oats in the morning.

Monday: Cook whole chicken serve with about 2 carrots cut in 4 peices and put with the chicken and 2-3 potatoes also cooked with the chicken in the oven. 1.25 hrs on 425 with a little water added to my cast iron pot. I add sea salt, pepper, and whatever spice sounds good as well as a little olive oil to the top to coat. We eat without the skin!!

Tuesday: Clean mean off chicken and cook the remaining bones, skin, etc..of chicken in a huge pot and boil down to taste. I add leftover carrots and potatoes to boil down as well as any onion I might have. I add a little more unprocessed sea salt as well, and normally a little more herbs whatever I feel like. Use chicken I took off earlier... Enchiladas. I take several handfuls of meat, a cup and half of salsa and a cup of cheese, mix together and fill a tortilla.. If I have time I add rice that I cook as well. Roll up add a splash of salsa to cover the top thinly and add a thin little bit of cheese cook at 350 for 30 minutes.. Super cheap and easy and this freezing well so I make 2 when I can!

Wednesday: Use leftover chicken for fajitas with peppers and onion lightly sauteed, or a salad topped with chicken, or chicken sandwhich, or chicken quesadilla, or throw it in with noodles and a little chicken broth a little cheese and a splash of milk and it makes a yummy little mix... Just came up with doing this the other day.LOL.

Thursday: random: home made mac and cheese, homemade lazagna, salad, sandwhich, soup from the broth I made ( I just freeze it until I want to use it). Just some examples I do other things too, but its too hard to think of everything on the spot without thinking harder!

Friday: Spaghetti, or homemade pizza normally depending on how much time I have.

Saturday and Sunday: Leftovers, dinner with friends, or something easy that we already have! I dont plan meals for the weekends, but we always have stuff leftover or stuff I need to use or want to make out of our food supply.

* Right now I dont do chicken organic but its because I dont know of anywhere I can get it. I want to find someone that has free range chickens and buy 15 a year and just freeze them and use as we need them! I have heard they are around 15 dollars each but right now I buy a bundle of 2 whole chickens for 8-10 dollars for both of them. So with it being that cheap I only spend 2-3 dollars on the whole meals since that 5 dollar chicken makes 3-4 meals for us! I also spread my meals out so I end up cooking 2 whole chickens a month and going through about 3-6 lbs of ground turkey a month. We also get turkey hot dogs in a 24 pack. We dont buy soda, but we do buy a 6 pk of spendy beer once a month. We dont buy juice, candy, chips, premade dinners or premade anything. I sometimes make my own yogurt. I dont buy jam, we buy large things of honey instead. I buy flour in bulk, and I havent had white sugar in my home for over 6 months. I didnt try to do that, it just happened.LOL. We dont do dessert. If we do something its a 4 dollar thing of ice cream once a month or less or a bad for you thing of boxed pudding (its my one vice.LOL). Anyway.. thats what I eat.. If you eat those foods each week you can do it for the budget I do it for. I spend 300-350 on food 50-100 on other things. Oh and I make my own laundry soap. I like it better, it works better than tide, and I make it for 10 dollars once a year!

Hope this helps someone who wants to do it on a budget, but if you dont, then dont.. I have, we dont live in the cheapest place. A gallon of regular milk here is 4 dollars a gallon, 7.00 for organic. Apples are 1.20-1.99 a lb, cheese for 2 lbs is 8 dollars, but I buy it in a bulk 5 lb thing for 11-12 dollars.. 32 oz thing of adams peanut butter is 6.00 walmart is the cheapest, the health food store sells it for 11.00 for the same amount though, just over 5 a lb. The largest thing of organic lettuce is 5 dollars in a prepacked container. I shop at several different stores and I stock up when something is cheaper than usual. I get corn in the summer cheaper and freeze it in halfs to cook later. Anyway, thats all the tips I have in me for the night. Oh yeah and my husband eats a lot and the kids eat more than I do!

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
This thread is starting to kinda have the reek of privilege-and I'm one that buys all natural, cooks from scratch, and hasn't used the "middle of the grocery store" for almost a decade out of necessity. My family eats ridiculously clean and I cannot pretend that it's financially easy.

I visit the farmer's market as long as it's there, 3 times a week and buy meat as often as I can from local farmers. I pretty much know all the tricks and utilize them. It's just NOT the same as eating conventional! I don't get it.

Perhaps I'm sensitive because we have real restrictions, but I have a hard time with people saying this can be done on the same budget. I definitely agree that while organic is desirable that it's just not feasible to buy all organic across the board.

I think we're conflating things and not everyone has the same frame of reference. Period.

pink.sara
July 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM
I hadn't commented yet in this thread as I didn't really have much to say, but I have to chime in and back up the people saying it's not cheaper to eat Organic/local. It's not.

A 2kg chicken from the farm just outside my town (think 6 miles away) was £14 on Sunday, and I haggled because I was buying venison sausages too.
An Organic Free Range 2kg chicken from my local supermarket is £9.60
However you can buy the standard chickens at £4 each, 3 for £10 or 4 for £12...... that's 4 chickens for the same price as my ethically reared corn fed Organic local chicken I bought Sunday and enough change for a broccoli and potatoes.

I know which I would have to buy were I feeding a family.
As it is my grocery bill of fresh meat, fish and vegetables is £110 a week. Were I to buy Organic etc exclusively it would easily double.

And seriously.... who eats the same chicken 3 days in a row?! It would have to be the size of an Xmas Turkey to feed me and my SO for 3 evening meals.

swearnsue
July 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
I think we "society" are expecting too much from mothers who have to work, raise kids, cook and clean. And now not only are mothers expected to shop and cook, "we" expect them "if they love their families" to buy organic and cook everything from scratch. Give me a break. It's not possible, there isn't enough hours in the day and not enough energy in one person to do all that. Go to farmer's markets and find special water in nearby wells or springs or whatever? LOL, I don't think that is even close to do-able for most of us. (Or even desirable).

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Yeah. I lived near a spring (less than 5 miles) and I did make the effort to go get my water there, but I had 2 kids, an infant and a toddler. It didn't always happen, even though it was relatively easy and free.

I do hit farmer's markets 1-3 times a week because they are super close by and very convenient (walkable from my kid's school.) If they weren't, it wouldn't happen. I do hit 3 markets a week too, to get specific things from each. Sadly the only market that carries everything I need under one roof is whole foods and my grocery bill would almost double if I shopped there exclusively for everything I need (which I've done in a pinch-it really is that big of a difference.)

Life changes when you have kids! There are things that are doable....I will say that I do use the same chicken two days in a row, but that's not even enough for a family of 5 if it's the main part of the meal. I do roast a chicken a week and then make stock as well. I freeze veggies that are turning or that I buy at a discount if they're damaged to use in stock. These things are not hard, but I also won't pretend they save a ton of money, either.

I cook everything from scratch because I have to. Let me tell you, it's annoying, time consuming, exhausting and if I didn't have to 100% of the time I wouldn't.

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Yea I guess I am one of those, my monthly growth is from 1-1,5 inches as well. What is the exact secret, can't pinpoint for sure, but I do my trims at the new moon and I do eat food prepared from scratch, have been taught to cook so from my mum and gran.

Ok busy mums, please take a deep breath here, it is possible to cook from scratch every single meal, you get used to it and it doesn't take that much time, depends on what you are cooking. Since I am definitely on the lazy side of the population, I can cook a meal in half an hour (including eating and washing the dishes). For those who needs recipe ideas, try to search for Rachel Ray cooking books or online. Oh and don't forget the Hungry Girl recipes.

Also, on a tastier and laziest side, walnuts are very beneficial for the hair growth (just eat one in the morning), also millet (good for brittle hair and nails; you ground it like coffee and take it one teaspoon in the morning either in yoghurt or in bit of juice and drink it).

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Btw-- At the farmers markets you don't need to buy organic. Most of the produce there is not that harmful and can be washed off.

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
@Mahealani--

Yes, I certainly agree with your post. For instance, my mother was a teen mom and she had 3 kids by the time she was 22. My father and mother were married at 18. She always made sure to make home cooked meals, while going to school, and having a part time job. This is not easy task, and it takes adjustment and adaption. We would go to farmers markets and come home with a car full of food for only $20! Amazing. It's still that cheap, too! It's doable, not impossible.

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
The timing isn't what I'm debating. I cook every meal, every day from scratch and rarely does that take longer than 30 minutes. My kids are all in school and I also pack their lunches and snacks every single day-they CAN'T eat the lunches served at school. I also work, and I'm not saying that's not doable-it is. I do it. Every day. It's just not always convenient, but whatever. It is what it is.

I'm really curious where you can get a car full of food from any farmer's market for $20! It may be regional, and I'll give you that. But around here I rarely walk away with less than $60 worth of produce and while it's certainly enough for the week for all of us, it's not a car full!

I have no interest in arguing this, really. I am a believer in eating whole, unprocessed food. I just won't pretend it's not a privilege that I can. :)

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
SurferB and firegypsy,
I think our ways of doing stuff are influenced with how we were brought up, how much money is available and how much energy we have, and most important how much will we have.
Regarding food prices, it varies on the city/country I guess. So do what you can with what you have, I say. And I have nothing against being convenient.
Believe it or not, I don't have microwave and even don't know how to use it.:D

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
no microwave here either! got rid of that about 12 years ago! I have to admit that recently I've been questioning that choice. lol.

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Oh really firegypsy? Yea can understand that up to one point (imagination + youtube recipes)...
Ok since you have been using microwave before, do you find the food to have the same taste when cooked with or without it?

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I never really cooked in it, so I can't say. When I did have one I would sometimes reheat things in it...but it's been far too long to remember if there was a difference.

Even now, I've never had a microwave since being a mother, and I can't imagine I'd cook in it. But there are things that would be easier to heat in there, instead of going stove top or oven which is how things are done now.

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
no microwave here either! got rid of that about 12 years ago! I have to admit that recently I've been questioning that choice. lol.

;-P Microwaves seem to help with convenience of busy parents, but I think it's a good thing you did get rid of it. I don't like microwaves (micro---waves sounds scary). :cheese:

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
The timing isn't what I'm debating. I cook every meal, every day from scratch and rarely does that take longer than 30 minutes. My kids are all in school and I also pack their lunches and snacks every single day-they CAN'T eat the lunches served at school. I also work, and I'm not saying that's not doable-it is. I do it. Every day. It's just not always convenient, but whatever. It is what it is.

I'm really curious where you can get a car full of food from any farmer's market for $20! It may be regional, and I'll give you that. But around here I rarely walk away with less than $60 worth of produce and while it's certainly enough for the week for all of us, it's not a car full!

I have no interest in arguing this, really. I am a believer in eating whole, unprocessed food. I just won't pretend it's not a privilege that I can. :)

Have you ever heard of Webster Flea market in Florida? Omg, best place that I know of to go shopping for food. This is where we used to go. It's SO cheap and they use minimal pesticides, if any, which is great! One trick my mom does for conventional produce is soak the veggies & fruit in Braggs applecider vinegar +water mixture. It seems to clean off the pesticides really well.

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
It's not really convenience for me, it just seems a waste to have to heat up the whole oven to get something small warm! I bake all of our muffins, breads, scones etc. and with gluten free foods sometimes a bit of heat makes all the difference.

I also make a pizza crust out of coconut flour, eggs and sheep cheese and I bake it when I make the pizza. But I suspect leftovers would be better nuked than baked, though I have no proof. lol.

MOST things of course are better off heated stove top or oven, which is why we have no microwave. And if I make popcorn, I do it stove top as well. Done in minutes and it tastes amazing popped in coconut oil.

Honestly, the big reason I want one? To heat up castor oil packs or rice socks. It doesn't even need to be in the kitchen! If I need them now I bake them, and that seems a bit sketchy....

ETA: I soak in Braggs, or in colloidal silver/liquid oxygen. Peroxide would probably do it too, but I never think to pull that out.

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
I also make a pizza crust out of coconut flour, eggs and sheep cheese and I bake it when I make the pizza. But I suspect leftovers would be better nuked than baked, though I have no proof. lol.

Coconut flour!! Good choice! Have you tried almond flour before? I bake/cook with both. Much better than wheat, or reg flour.

gillybeanxo3921
July 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
my Mom used to grow broccoli in the summers, and it was sooooo delicious. So much better than store bought.

My hair hardly grew for the longest time. I have anemia, so it was gradually getting worse, and the worse it got, the slower my hair grew. My doctor put me on some vitamins and three days later I noticed my hair was longer. Now it's growing about 2/3 a month, which sounds kind of slow compared to you guys, but coming from a girl who wasn't growing at all for months, it's pretty damn fast for me! :D

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
I would have to dissagree. It all really depends on location. In IL it seems to be just as pricey as conventional, and same goes for FL. I think we should be creative. If I had a family, I would want to garden and grow as much as I could to save money and provide healthier food straight from the yard. If I had a family, I probably wouldn't shop at whole foods predominantly. I would look for farmers markets. It also depends on your situation.

If it depends on location, then obviously many people are not going to be able to get the prices you do. I also don't think you should make assumptions that people aren't being "creative," planting gardens, know how to shop, etc. When you're feeding a family, you have to be far more creative than when feeding just one or two people. As far as farmer's markets go, here they are at least as expensive as Whole Foods. People here aren't stupid--they work hard for what they produce, and they charge accordingly, which is fine with me, but I can't always pay their prices. I'm very glad that you are able to keep your budget so low, but it's not realistic for many of us, and the point being made is simply that you are assuming we don't try or don't understand.

On another note, how do you know you're cleaning off the pesticides or not? Unless you're actually testing, that is.

ETA: I went to Whole Foods today (their salad greens are the freshest in town, and we're in-between on home-grown) and bought enough salad greens for two days (just for two people), an apple, and 3 containers of tofu for $11. All organic, prices about the same as the farmer's market (I was at the market yesterday). A "carful of food" from the farmer's market here would cost me $300, and that's not an exaggeration.

furnival
July 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
On another note, how do you know you're cleaning off the pesticides or not? Unless you're actually testing, that is.

Good question... I was wondering about this as well.

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Coconut flour!! Good choice! Have you tried almond flour before? I bake/cook with both. Much better than wheat, or reg flour.

I buy almond flour in 25 pound boxes. ;)

We got the first round of celiac diagnoses 8 years ago, but I had cut all grains before that since we just did better that way (now I know why!) I've been using coconut, almond, pecan and walnut flour for about 10 years and can't see ever going back.

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Good question... I was wondering about this as well.

I can't say it eradicates it at all. There is a bitterness on the outside of some veggies/fruits that I personally associate with pesticides. Soaking in braggs removes that taste, whether it is washing things away or neutralizing them I do not know. It just tastes better after doing it to me. Frankly, I have OCD that mainly revolves around food and this is could well be in my head.

SurferB
July 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Research about apple cider vinager from Braggs. It's successful with removing pesticides.

CurlyCurves
July 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Took me a while to realize that when people were saying 3/4 they meant .75 and not 3 to 4 inches. I about died with envy! :)

:rollin: :rollin:

Silverbrumby
July 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM

A couple of years ago I snapped a tendon in my calf. I was on crutches and up until that happened I had no idea what it really was like being unable to move about freely in the world.

Kids... sigh, glad your mum did what she did on a budget. Now heres the deal with feeding a family. Not everyone has a yard, not everyone has access to land to grow. Not everyone has the time to make meals from scratch. Not everyone wants to.

As a parent you do what you need to do to get through as a family. I NEVER tell anyone how they should run their parental race. It's just rude. Until you've walked in those shoes it's best not to judge. Even after you've walked in those shoes its best not to impose what works for you on others even as helpful information.

Supple information for folks who ask but it's not helpful to tell people they can do something they know isn't possible for them.

Same goes for just about anything and anyone you deal with in life.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Research about apple cider vinager from Braggs. It's successful with removing pesticides.
All I could find was that vinegar "appears" to be successful in removing "some" pesticides. If you can link to specific studies, I'd be interested to read them.

BTW, those salad greens I mentioned earlier only lasted for dinner tonight (with maybe a cup leftover). So...locally grown salad greens + apple for two, about $8. Salad also included local blue cheese ($20/lb.), homegrown boysenberries/blueberries (free, except for water, land, yada yada), and walnuts. That's a pretty light dinner for $8. So that makes a week of light dinners run $28 per person, and most nights I would want a salad along with something else. If I add a dish of greens + tofu, for example, that's about another $6 (two bunches of greens @ $2.50 each, plus about $1.25 for tofu). Healthy dinner, but at roughly $7 per person that exceeds the $45 a week without allowing for breakfast or lunch.

Silverbrumby
July 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
All I could find was that vinegar "appears" to be successful in removing "some" pesticides. If you can link to specific studies, I'd be interested to read them.

BTW, those salad greens I mentioned earlier only lasted for dinner tonight (with maybe a cup leftover). So...locally grown salad greens + apple for two, about $8. Salad also included local blue cheese ($20/lb.), homegrown boysenberries/blueberries (free, except for water, land, yada yada), and walnuts. That's a pretty light dinner for $8. So that makes a week of light dinners run $28 per person, and most nights I would want a salad along with something else. If I add a dish of greens + tofu, for example, that's about another $6 (two bunches of greens @ $2.50 each, plus about $1.25 for tofu). Healthy dinner, but at roughly $7 per person that exceeds the $45 a week without allowing for breakfast or lunch.

Anything with a thin skin has pesticides inside. Tomatoes, mangos, strawberries etc. They get absorbed into the item.

christyrose
July 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM
So I have to clarify that I am in no means saying you can eat organic for the same price.. I am saying that when you start eating healthy it ends up being the same price if you are going from eating processed food. If you already eat super healthy but without organic it would be more obviously for the same foods across the board. I have to say for me though we did buy unhealthy food before and bought more processed food and it was a lot more money. I bought a lot of premade things like granola bars, more cereal, frozen family sized lazagnas etc.. It added up to be a lot more than what I am doing now. I would like to go all organic soon, but I know its going to add at least another 100 on our months grocery bill!

Surfer b- I was just talking to my husband about something you said a page or two back... The farmers market stuff around here they use pesticides and a lot of the seeds available are genetically modified no matter who grows it, local or not. I havent done all that much research, but I wonder if you compared the pesticides used on big farms vs little ones if it would be all that different? Lettuce for instance is one thing that I will only buy organic because there is just no way to really get pesticides off that! I am going to go to the famers market this week (its only once a week) and ask everyone about pesticides and if they use them. A lot of the food that comes here is from 2 or 6 hrs away so I honestly dont see as much of a benifit from that stuff compared, but what do I know!

Diamond.Eyes
July 4th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I experience growth very similar to yours. I stopped taking my supplements for a few months and it still continued to grow very fast, it could have to do with my healthy eating habits though. I'm very happy with my growth rate. :p

christyrose
July 4th, 2012, 12:21 AM
A couple of years ago I snapped a tendon in my calf. I was on crutches and up until that happened I had no idea what it really was like being unable to move about freely in the world.

Kids... sigh, glad your mum did what she did on a budget. Now heres the deal with feeding a family. Not everyone has a yard, not everyone has access to land to grow. Not everyone has the time to make meals from scratch. Not everyone wants to.

As a parent you do what you need to do to get through as a family. I NEVER tell anyone how they should run their parental race. It's just rude. Until you've walked in those shoes it's best not to judge. Even after you've walked in those shoes its best not to impose what works for you on others even as helpful information.

Supple information for folks who ask but it's not helpful to tell people they can do something they know isn't possible for them.

Same goes for just about anything and anyone you deal with in life.

Lots of things grow great in a pot, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, green beans... etc... I dont think Surfer b was telling anyone what to do or judging anyone, but she is saying what she would do. I have a family, I am super busy all the time. I have little kids who have lots of energy. I dont have time this year to plant lettuce in a pot, but next year when they are older I am going to. I will do it so I dont have to go shopping as much, because as a mom with 2 kids, loading them up in the car is sure a lot more work than watering a pot of lettuce and picking the leafs right before dinner! Having a full on garden is a LOT of work though, so it depends on what you have time for, but I also know if your priority is having your family eat homegrown that doing this kind of thing would mean more to you.. Me on the other hand I fall in the middle. I wish I could do all homegrown but right now going grocery shopping is a lot of work so I do what I can with what I have and feel like I am doing a great job. My husbands parents had 4 kids, did a HUGE garden and she still did housekeeping on the side. She doesnt go to a grocery store ever, or very very rarely. They grow their own cows, pigs, and have chickens. Sure its more work, but they also dont spend anything on groceries each month. Not for me... but I dont feel judged because she does it.. Just saying :)

Silverbrumby
July 4th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I experience growth very similar to yours. I stopped taking my supplements for a few months and it still continued to grow very fast, it could have to do with my healthy eating habits though. I'm very happy with my growth rate. :p

Amazing hair Diamond.Eyes

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 02:25 AM
First off, if you're a grad student, working 30 hours a week and still have time for all this couponing/shopping around, I'm honestly confused as to how you can humanly do that without a time machine. Kudos :)

I can't remember if it was in this thread or your other thread, but earlier you said you "won't touch the crap eggs from regular stores." As a fellow budgeting college student, I'm a little offended. You have a $45 per person per week budget. I'm in charge of feeding myself and two 20 year old guys for $150 a month, total, and I'd say that I do a damn good job feeding us, "ethically treated" or not.

An ethically treated cow isn't hanging out getting manicures and watching TV all day. It's hanging out in a pasture, aimlessly wandering and grazing, and then it's electrocuted and butchered. Just like any other cow. I'll concede that dairy cows don't always get the same pastured treatment, and yes, most are grain fed, but the dairy my milk comes from is only ~40 mins away, and I've seen it many times. While my milk may not say "OMG, these cows are totes fed grass and pampered!" on the label, their conditions are far from inhumane. The milk is cheap, and it tastes like good milk. We're all happy with it.

We do eat tons of veggies and fruits. We probably have more fruits and veggies than anything else. We have chicken, we have beef, and I even managed to grab some smoked salmon last time I went shopping. I usually do my best to buy organic, but with my budget and amount of time, a lot of the time it's just not possible. I get organic, when it's on manager special or I've chanced upon a coupon. I cannot, and frankly, will not, even if I had the choice in my location, double the grocery bills to know that my dinner was more pampered than I. I sleep just fine knowing that I ate, it doesn't matter how it lived. Call me callous (and it is, a little), I don't care. I fed my man-children, and I did good.
So while yes, it is entirely possible to feed your family on a tight budget, it's insane to expect us to eat like you say you do on our budget, and I'm not doing my shopping "wrong."

As a full time college student (yes, I'm taking summer classes), I have not the time, money, or, honestly, the energy (there's more than "boohoo I'm a tired student" going into that) to shop around town for the best deals on eggs from "vegetarian fed pastured free range from ethically treated hens," and we do eat lots of eggs, so no nutritional deficiency there. A word on free range: For all you know, it could mean that the chicken has "free range" of a 2' square wire cage.

Unless you're physically going to the farm and seeing the animals/produce, you have no idea of the conditions if was raised/grown in, regardless of buying it at a farmers' market or health food store, no matter what the farmer or label says.

You keep saying it depends on location, but then you're also saying that if we can't eat like you do, we're not shopping/eating right. Who's to say no one's being creative? Yes, you'd want to garden. Would you feasibly be able to? After getting a house/apartment with ample room to garden, would the additional cost of that place be worth the savings or benefits of growing your own? Would you feasibly or logistically even be able to afford a place like that? If you can, are you going to fault others for not? Honestly, to me, it seems like you're faulting us who can't have your diet for not having the means to it, and that is just unfair. :twocents:
I wish I could garden, but I have no room, and if I did, it would die in the sun anyway (yay, southern US!) Yes, farmer's markets are great, if your town has one or if it's even a good farmer's market. I've seen farmers' markets where the "farmers" were literally selling "organic" produce from the Albertsons across the street. Also, the farmers' market in my town is only open when I'm in class. And I'm not ditching class to buy organic veggies, when there's not enough of a difference (or savings) for me to care.

This thread is starting to kinda have the reek of privilege-and I'm one that buys all natural, cooks from scratch, and hasn't used the "middle of the grocery store" for almost a decade out of necessity. My family eats ridiculously clean and I cannot pretend that it's financially easy.

I think we're conflating things and not everyone has the same frame of reference. Period.

Yeah, that's exactly how I'm feeling about this thread. But wouldn't it be great if we could all eat like this? I'm getting hungry thinking about it :p

Loviatar
July 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
One thing nobody has yet mentioned and I wonder if it has just not picked up on. A few pages back SurferB mentioned her mom's thick, long hair. Her diet is clearly good for her but I think we are also forgetting her genetics.

I dreamed and dreamed of having hair like Igor's when she was a member here. Then I saw her family photos. They all had fantastically thick, healthy looking hair. My family have fine to medium brunette hair at best, except for my sister who has inherited my grandad's coarse blonde wurls. I am never going to get hair that looks like Igor's and I am never going to have hair that grows 1.5 inches a month. :shrug: I know I can improve my diet, and I want to, but I want to do it for my health, not for my hair.

Genetics is a really big part of how fabulous some members' hair looks I'm certain.

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Loviatar, you're completely right about that. Diet and exercise cannot possibly be everything :)

UltraBella
July 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Loviatar, you're completely right about that. Diet and exercise cannot possibly be everything :)

Agreed ! My hair has always grown very fast and has been thick and healthy my entire life - including a time when I was quite sick for an extended period. (And even when I exercised none and when my diet consisted mainly of candy and nachos :D)

I believe I have my mother's genetics to thank.

Arciela
July 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Mine grows insanely fast also when I just leave it alone and forget about it lol

I am inclined to believe it is simply genetics. I don't eat or do anything special. =)

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Agreed ! My hair has always grown very fast and has been thick and healthy my entire life - including a time when I was quite sick for an extended period. (And even when I exercised none and when my diet consisted mainly of candy and nachos :D)

I believe I have my mother's genetics to thank.

I wish I had my mother's hair genetics. Between the time I left for the spring semester and the time I came back before summer classes, (~4.5 months) she wen't from a mid-neck bob kinda thing to APL+. I was like :thud:

Medievalmaniac
July 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I am coming late to this discussion, but I did just want to suggest that those with families who would love to do the organic thing but can't afford it look for a local farmer's market, especially during the summer months.

We live in a very small town in the American South, and we have an incredible farmer's market precisely because it's an economically challenged farming town. This is all "organic and ethically grown produce" - because they're mom-and-pop farmers doing the job themselves. They don't spray pesticides, because they assume that people buying their stuff "know" it's "home-grown" and therefore don't expect it to look perfect the way it does in grocery stores. They grow it, pick it, and bring it in every week. If I tried to buy organic produce for our family of four in a grocery store, I would be spending well over a hundred dollars a week. At the farmer's market, I can buy enough "organic" produce for the week with some left over for twenty bucks.

For example, this past week I went in with a twenty dollar bill and came out with 10 cucumbers (5 for a dollar = $2.00), 10 tomatoes(5 for a dollar = $2.00), 4 onions (4 for a dollar = $1.00), 10 ears of corn (.10 each = $1.00), two pints of blueberries($2.00 each = $4.00), a pint of strawberries($2.00), a cantaloupe($2.00), 4 each zucchini and summer squash(4 for a dollar - $2.00), and a dozen free-range, non-hormone treated chicken eggs($2.00). No way can you do that in any grocery store.

When the season's over, our food bill goes up substantially to eat the way we do in the summer - I've taken to buying extra and canning/freezing. We also grow our own tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, broccoli, and herbs in containers and small raised box beds in the backyard.

It is VERY expensive to feed a family of four or more healthfully the conventional way, and I have to agree that organic, ethically-treated, non-hormone foods are prohibitively expensive in many places, and well beyond many families' budgets (there's a reason Whole Foods is called "Whole Paycheck" by so many people.) But at least for the next few months, local farmers can really help out with that if you hunt them down. It's also worth looking into a CSA - we had one here a few years ago and paid $40.00 a month for a ridiculously large amount of food, including eggs and locally produced, no-hormone added milk; unfortunately, the woman running it ended up moving for a different job.

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I am coming late to this discussion, but I did just want to suggest that those with families who would love to do the organic thing but can't afford it look for a local farmer's market, especially during the summer months.

We live in a very small town in the American South, and we have an incredible farmer's market precisely because it's an economically challenged farming town. This is all "organic and ethically grown produce" - because they're mom-and-pop farmers doing the job themselves. They don't spray pesticides, because they assume that people buying their stuff "know" it's "home-grown" and therefore don't expect it to look perfect the way it does in grocery stores. They grow it, pick it, and bring it in every week. If I tried to buy organic produce for our family of four in a grocery store, I would be spending well over a hundred dollars a week. At the farmer's market, I can buy enough "organic" produce for the week with some left over for twenty bucks.

For example, this past week I went in with a twenty dollar bill and came out with 10 cucumbers (5 for a dollar = $2.00), 10 tomatoes(5 for a dollar = $2.00), 4 onions (4 for a dollar = $1.00), 10 ears of corn (.10 each = $1.00), two pints of blueberries($2.00 each = $4.00), a pint of strawberries($2.00), a cantaloupe($2.00), 4 each zucchini and summer squash(4 for a dollar - $2.00), and a dozen free-range, non-hormone treated chicken eggs($2.00). No way can you do that in any grocery store.

When the season's over, our food bill goes up substantially to eat the way we do in the summer - I've taken to buying extra and canning/freezing. We also grow our own tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, broccoli, and herbs in containers and small raised box beds in the backyard.

It is VERY expensive to feed a family of four or more healthfully the conventional way, and I have to agree that organic, ethically-treated, non-hormone foods are prohibitively expensive in many places, and well beyond many families' budgets (there's a reason Whole Foods is called "Whole Paycheck" by so many people.) But at least for the next few months, local farmers can really help out with that if you hunt them down. It's also worth looking into a CSA - we had one here a few years ago and paid $40.00 a month for a ridiculously large amount of food, including eggs and locally produced, no-hormone added milk; unfortunately, the woman running it ended up moving for a different job.

Not all areas have a farmers' market, or it's more inconvenient than regular shopping. My town's farmers' market is only open while I'm in my classes, for example.
Not to say that a farmers' market is a bad suggestion, or anything. If you have access to a good, cheap one (I say cheap because I've visited a farmers' market where the "organic" produce was out of state and 3 times as expensive as the grocery store) then yes, they can be a huge money saving boon to a family.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 12:25 AM
If you shop carefully at Whole Foods, you can get some pretty good deals. They had some great sales on wild coho this spring. I prefer to support local businesses, but do buy my salad greens at WF if we're out of home grown because WF has the freshest bulk greens and that is one thing I'm very picky about.

Farmer's markets here are just as expensive as WF. CSA, too. I'm not complaining about the quality of the food, or the prices, for that matter, since I know the cost of land here and also know small farmers work very hard. But it's still not affordable for most families.

I'm trying to remember prices offhand, but here's a sampling of what locally grown, organic/free range/grass fed/etc. has been priced at recently:

eggs: $4 doz.
ribeye steak: $29/lb. (no joke; that was the price last Sunday)
kale/chard: $3 bunch
salad greens: $6/lb.
wild salmon: $20/lb. (I don't eat farmed fish)
fuji apples: $3/lb.
green onions: $.99/bunch
garlic: $5/lb.

Sometimes I can get lucky and find things on sale, but even if that ribeye is 50% off, I can't buy it. Organic beans, those I can afford! The one great deal at the farmer's market last week was 30 lbs. of cherries for $30, but since both my kids aren't here right now, there's no way hubby and I can eat that many cherries by ourselves. :p

We have gravenstein apple trees and in a good year can get 30-35 pounds of blackberries, plus we can grow salad greens, snow peas, and other cool weather crops. We also get some boysenberries and blueberries, plus we have maturing pear, pomegranate, and persimmon trees. No tomatoes, peppers, squashes, etc.--we just don't get warm enough.

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM
same prices here. hence the "it's regional" thing. I agree. I can't afford a CSA and the farmer's markets are no cheaper than the supermarkets, but I go anyway.

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
ribeye steak: $29/lb. (no joke; that was the price last Sunday)

My FI eats meat from whole foods or local grass fed pasture raised and he can't afford the steaks either. ;-P

What he does is buy the entire chicken at WF for around $10, cuts it up and freezes some. Grass fed beef is pretty cheap ($3.99-4.99/lb) and sometimes bison is on sale for only $4.99/lb.

Shopping on saturdays/holidays and looking online at the coupons really DOES make a huggggee difference! We'll go in there with sometimes $100 off the bill which is approx 50% off. Good deals!

I hope that helps!

blaketob
July 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
My hair only grows about half an inch a month :( and an avg of 4-5 inches a year with trims. I wish it grew faster but I'm happy to at least see growth

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Bunnysaur----

(quote)First off, if you're a grad student, working 30 hours a week and still have time for all this couponing/shopping around, I'm honestly confused as to how you can humanly do that without a time machine. Kudos

I can't remember if it was in this thread or your other thread, but earlier you said you "won't touch the crap eggs from regular stores." As a fellow budgeting college student, I'm a little offended. (quote)

First off, thank you! I wanted to let you know personally, that I wasn't intending on offending anyone. It's my personal opinion about the eggs at typical grocery stores. My budget is very similar to yours, and I totally understand.

However, please note that everyone is full of opinions, and by no means should they be offensive to others. What "others" have to realize is most personal opinions shouldn't upset you. For instance, if I went to Mcdonalds and had a cup of coffee, then I went to Starbucks and had a cup of coffee. I'm most likely going to have an opinion like "Mcdonalds coffee isn't good, and it's really gross" because I had the better quality cofffee.

I hope this makes sense. No hard feelings.

Bunnysaur
July 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Bunnysaur----

(quote)First off, if you're a grad student, working 30 hours a week and still have time for all this couponing/shopping around, I'm honestly confused as to how you can humanly do that without a time machine. Kudos

I can't remember if it was in this thread or your other thread, but earlier you said you "won't touch the crap eggs from regular stores." As a fellow budgeting college student, I'm a little offended. (quote)

First off, thank you! I wanted to let you know personally, that I wasn't intending on offending anyone. It's my personal opinion about the eggs at typical grocery stores. My budget is very similar to yours, and I totally understand.

However, please note that everyone is full of opinions, and by no means should they be offensive to others. What "others" have to realize is most personal opinions shouldn't upset you. For instance, if I went to Mcdonalds and had a cup of coffee, then I went to Starbucks and had a cup of coffee. I'm most likely going to have an opinion like "Mcdonalds coffee isn't good, and it's really gross" because I had the better quality cofffee.

I hope this makes sense. No hard feelings.

Wait, something's not adding up. You said,

my weekly total average is only $80-90 for 2
so $45 per week per person. That makes $360 a month. I have $50 per MONTH per person, for 3 people, $150 a month. Your budget is well over twice mine. :)

I agree, it's just an opinion. What I was trying to say is that there's little to no nutritional difference between them, and you shouldn't knock something just because it's cheaper/sold at a regular grocery store :) I've never personally noticed a taste difference, but hey, maybe you have access to better tasting eggs :p

Rain
July 6th, 2012, 11:10 AM
My hair grows pretty fast. It has always grown fast. It doesn't matter if I'm a couch potato or gym rat, eat junk food or healthy food, if I'm a vegetarian or a meat eater, or if I've been sick/stressed or well. In 37 years, the only things that have affected my hair noticeably are the things I do to it from the outside. My hair does not want to be flat ironed.

mrs_coffee
July 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I never measure my hair growth. It grows as fast as it grows and that's good enough for me.

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I never measure my hair growth. It grows as fast as it grows and that's good enough for me.

I like that attitude! :cool:

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Surfer b- I was just talking to my husband about something you said a page or two back... The farmers market stuff around here they use pesticides and a lot of the seeds available are genetically modified no matter who grows it, local or not. I havent done all that much research, but I wonder if you compared the pesticides used on big farms vs little ones if it would be all that different? Lettuce for instance is one thing that I will only buy organic because there is just no way to really get pesticides off that! I am going to go to the famers market this week (its only once a week) and ask everyone about pesticides and if they use them. A lot of the food that comes here is from 2 or 6 hrs away so I honestly dont see as much of a benifit from that stuff compared, but what do I know!

I live in an agricultural area in FL and there are farmers markets everywhere, but it's all the same stuff as in the store. It's cheaper, but it's not any better pesticide wise :shrug: There is an organic market located in one of the bigger/hipper cities nearbye, but the stuff is so expensive and I also have to put gas in the car to drive the 50 miles there and 50 miles back.

At the regular farmers market I can get a box of 15 mangoes for $10, while at the organic one I can get one mango for $2.00 plus the cost of gas!!

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I just looked up my nearest Whole Foods store out of curisosity... and it's 40 miles away! While there is a huge farmers market like 1 mile away. I think it's easy to see where I'll be shopping :D

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I just looked up my nearest Whole Foods store out of curisosity... and it's 40 miles away! While there is a huge farmers market like 1 mile away. I think it's easy to see where I'll be shopping :D
it's really no loss for you. It's hideously expensive. Everything there has triple mark up it seems. Even when things are on sale I don't feel like it's a deal. Their sales just bring things down to "reasonable" territory.

Last week I had to grab some stevia. At WF 2 ounces was $20. The same brand on amazon was two 4 ounce bottles for $28. That is pretty typical. Here the "natural" chicken thighs at WF are $4.99 a pound. That's not even organic! Grass fed ground beef is $6.99 a pound. It is sometimes on sale for $5.99. Bison is $9.99 per pound. At a price club I can get it (in the same package) for $5.99 a pound.

What do you get coupons for that isn't pre-packaged?

Rain
July 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
@Mahealani--

Yes, I certainly agree with your post. For instance, my mother was a teen mom and she had 3 kids by the time she was 22. My father and mother were married at 18. She always made sure to make home cooked meals, while going to school, and having a part time job. This is not easy task, and it takes adjustment and adaption. We would go to farmers markets and come home with a car full of food for only $20! Amazing. It's still that cheap, too! It's doable, not impossible.

Reading backwards here. What the what? I was a teen mom too and had both my girls by the time I was 20. I have no idea how that's relevant but whatever. I live near an agricultural center just outside Los Angeles. Cheap, delicious strawberries are about a twenty-minute drive away. I can get a flat for $5. I don't, because it's not worth the gas it takes to get out there and back. Our farmer's market didn't exist when I was growing up or when I was raising small children. We have one now but it's out of my way so there's more gas involved in getting there. Even when I lived right by it and could walk, I never bought anything. The prices are higher than at the grocery store I prefer.

Car load of food for $20? Only if we're getting our car loaded up at Del Taco. Not the grocery store. :lol: No.

I'll print out the $10 off coupons Fresh and Easy emails me because you get $10 off your whole order. You don't have to buy specific foods. Usually, clipping coupons is only going to save you money if you're buying processed foods like canned biscuits and sugar cereal.

I don't have time to plant a garden, let alone maintain one. I work full time. I go to school. I have two teenage daughters. They get fed. They're healthy.

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Usually, clipping coupons is only going to save you money if you're buying processed foods like canned biscuits and sugar cereal.

This is what I'm saying.

At Whole Food the same thing applies IME, to their "natural" alternatives which are still processed junk, albeit organic or free of HFCS. Can't recall ever seeing coupons for meat, veggies or fruit. Ditto olive oil or other staples. Yes, they have sales, but it's not often you see a coupon so I'm perplexed at the $100 off.

gonzobird
July 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I only shop at whole foods and don't even look at the price of things. Hows that for silliness??? I love it there.... and if the only thing I spend money on is healthy food,... I think thats ok. And my hair grows fast. About an inch a month. :) I eat lots of egg whites. I love eggs, but whole eggs everyday isn't so good for your cholesterol.... BurtI've been known to do it.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
My FI eats meat from whole foods or local grass fed pasture raised and he can't afford the steaks either. ;-P

What he does is buy the entire chicken at WF for around $10, cuts it up and freezes some. Grass fed beef is pretty cheap ($3.99-4.99/lb) and sometimes bison is on sale for only $4.99/lb.

Shopping on saturdays/holidays and looking online at the coupons really DOES make a huggggee difference! We'll go in there with sometimes $100 off the bill which is approx 50% off. Good deals!

I hope that helps!

I think you need to get clear on something. None of us here are stupid. We know how to shop. We know how to manage a food budget. If we tell you that our prices are higher than yours for the equivalent items, then you should accept that instead of giving us "tips" on how to save money. The steak price was just an example. Those chickens you pay $10 for? Here it's twice that. We are working to put two kids through college debt-free, plus pay a mortgage and save for retirement--do you really think we don't know how to manage money? :rolleyes:

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Car load of food for $20? Only if we're getting our car loaded up at Del Taco. Not the grocery store. :lol: No.

:D

I can get good deals at the local farmers market. Today I went:

Humongous jumbo zuccinis 2 for $1
Avocados 4 for $2
Big Bag of onions $2
Big basket of tomatoes $2.50
Bell peppers 3 for $1
Big Romain Lettuce $1.50
Loaded basket of grapes $2.50
Hand of 7 BIG bananas $1
overflowing Basket of green beans $2.50
bunch cilantro $.75
regular bag of baby carrots $1.50
basket of jalapenos (has like 15) $2

Not quite a carload, but I still came out with a lot for $20!! More than I would get at the grocery store.

Just wanted to share because I feel accomplished :D

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I was reading in my pregnancy book that it is okay to wash produce with dish detergent. That sounds really wierd and bad to me :confused: Could this possibly be correct??!!

firegypsy
I think you need to get clear on something. None of us here are stupid. We know how to shop. We know how to manage a food budget. If we tell you that our prices are higher than yours for the equivalent items, then you should accept that instead of giving us "tips" on how to save money. The steak price was just an example. Those chickens you pay $10 for? Here it's twice that. We are working to put two kids through college debt-free, plus pay a mortgage and save for retirement--do you really think we don't know how to manage money? :rolleyes:

This.

and I need more characters.

Rain
This is what I'm saying.

At Whole Food the same thing applies IME, to their "natural" alternatives which are still processed junk, albeit organic or free of HFCS. Can't recall ever seeing coupons for meat, veggies or fruit. Ditto olive oil or other staples. Yes, they have sales, but it's not often you see a coupon so I'm perplexed at the $100 off.

Exactly. I don't even shop at Whole Foods, ever, because there isn't one very close to me. It does not make financial sense to drive 20 minutes out of my way (each way) when I am surrounded by supermarkets and smaller grocery stores. Paying extra for gas and extra for WF's inflated prices would not be smart. I'm going to go to the stores closest to home. When I have been in WF, it seemed to be mostly full of pseudo healthy stuff anyway. I have a health food store much closer to home. That's got some legit healthy food in it and some pseudo healthy food and it's all expensive. I only go there when I need emu oil or monoi.

Rain
July 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I was reading in my pregnancy book that it is okay to wash produce with dish detergent. That sounds really wierd and bad to me :confused: Could this possibly be correct??!!

How is it weirder than washing the dishes you eat off with the same detergent? It's better for you than eating pesticides. Rinse it very well, obviously.

honeybunnie8
July 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
We have a farmers market here but I know the produce is not going to be organic. I live in a farming community and everyone crop dusts there produce. So while it might be cheaper or more fresh it is still covered in pesticides.

I personally go by the EWG Dirty dozen and clean 15 list to choose what I buy organic.

I am still confused where this $100 off comes from. All I find coupons for are things like oreos and other junk food.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM
same prices here. hence the "it's regional" thing. I agree. I can't afford a CSA and the farmer's markets are no cheaper than the supermarkets, but I go anyway.
I buy what I can local, and buy conventional for the rest. You have to have priorities. Ours is house first, college second, and everything comes after that.

firegypsy
July 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I buy what I can local, and buy conventional for the rest. You have to have priorities. Our is house first, college second, and everything comes after that.

yup. I'm another that is committed to being debt free. My kids are high cost and I have to pay tuition for all three. Something I refuse to take out a loan to do. I do have a mortgage, but no car payments, no credit cards etc. It all has to fit within the context of your life and no one can tell you your priorities. Life is just DIFFERENT when you have kids, and different still based on your priorities. I know someone who literally lost her house, destroyed her credit and has no retirement etc. but refused to give up her $300 a week food budget for herself and her 3 kids. Apparently organic food meant that much to her. I'd rather have a roof over my head and financial security. To each their own. ;)

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Strangely enough, WF here does have good prices on some things. Their organic tofu is cheap and I like it better than any other brand. Sometimes produce isn't bad, or at least no worse than the farmer's market. Fruit, too, sometimes. Local cheeses are about the same there as anywhere else (expensive, but local blue is out of this world). I would never shop at WF exclusively because they're a chain and I prefer to support local, but I don't mind getting a few things there now and then.

I need to get myself into town and buy some local wild king salmon on sale for $15/lb. That's a deal, and there is nothing better than wild king. Yum!

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I need to get myself into town and buy some local wild king salmon on sale for $15/lb. That's a deal, and there is nothing better than wild king. Yum!

Salmons on sale today for $9.99/lb! I'm stocking up today... We will probably buy 3 lbs and last for a month or more.

leslissocool
July 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I have a 1 inch, summer is 1 1/2. My growth is very stable.

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I only shop at whole foods and don't even look at the price of things. Hows that for silliness??? I love it there.... and if the only thing I spend money on is healthy food,... I think thats ok. And my hair grows fast. About an inch a month. :) I eat lots of egg whites. I love eggs, but whole eggs everyday isn't so good for your cholesterol.... BurtI've been known to do it.

Whole eggs don't affect your cholesterol levels, unless you have heart disease in the family, or had it. Saturated plays plays a greater role in increasing cholesterol levels. ;)

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Wait, something's not adding up. You said,
so $45 per week per person. That makes $360 a month. I have $50 per MONTH per person, for 3 people, $150 a month. Your budget is well over twice mine. :)

I agree, it's just an opinion. What I was trying to say is that there's little to no nutritional difference between them, and you shouldn't knock something just because it's cheaper/sold at a regular grocery store :) I've never personally noticed a taste difference, but hey, maybe you have access to better tasting eggs :p

$45 is the high end, that I spend per week. My FI pays for half of our bill. We split half. So if we did spend $80 per week divide the total by half and that's how much I spend at the high end for food. I can spend on myself around $80-$150 on mostly organic foods per month and I'm not too worried about prices. For instance, I'll buy salmon which isn't that cheap. It could be MUCH less.. But I need some sort of omega 3's already converted into DHA & EPA form and I don't want salmon that's been colored with chemicals. On a side note, now that my gardens are blooming, I'm spending less than $20 per week! Yay, summer!

Bunnysaur
July 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
$45 is the high end, that I spend per week. My FI pays for half of our bill. We split half. So if we did spend $80 per week divide the total by half and that's how much I spend at the high end for food. I can spend on myself around $80-$150 on mostly organic foods per month and I'm not too worried about prices. For instance, I'll buy salmon which isn't that cheap. It could be MUCH less.. But I need some sort of omega 3's already converted into DHA & EPA form and I don't want salmon that's been colored with chemicals. On a side note, now that my gardens are blooming, I'm spending less than $20 per week! Yay, summer!

Still 2x to 3x what I can spend on food for myself for the month, so I do have to worry about prices. I'm not going to buy a pound of salmon for myself, for example, because that's a week of my personal food budget.
We split three ways too, but no one can pitch in more than $50.
Congrats on your garden!

swearnsue
July 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I never shop at Whole Foods, I think their prices are too high. I just can't spend that much money because I'm on a fixed income. I don't think I could eat anything that expensive like $15 fish, I would feel quilty and lose my appetite. But Hubby and I both eat oatmeal EVERY morning for breakfast and that is about 15 cents per serving. Eggs we eat as a lunch or dinner. Then there are times when we really splurge and order a pizza and that it $15. But you gotta live it up a little sometimes!

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Salmons on sale today for $9.99/lb! I'm stocking up today... We will probably buy 3 lbs and last for a month or more.
I do not eat farmed fish. I don't like the taste, and I don't like the practice (no matter how ethical it's claimed to be). I'd rather eat less salmon and pay more for it.

I also don't eat eggs, or at least no more than a few times a year. So I could argue that I get fast growth because I don't eat eggs, or for that matter, because I don't eat much fish and don't eat all organic. Or because I live in a foggy area, or any number of things.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I never shop at Whole Foods, I think their prices are too high. I just can't spend that much money because I'm on a fixed income. I don't think I could eat anything that expensive like $15 fish, I would feel quilty and lose my appetite. But Hubby and I both eat oatmeal EVERY morning for breakfast and that is about 15 cents per serving. Eggs we eat as a lunch or dinner. Then there are times when we really splurge and order a pizza and that it $15. But you gotta live it up a little sometimes!
That salmon will definitely be a splurge, but the industry is very tightly regulated around here and we haven't even been able to get any in well over a year.

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I do not eat farmed fish. I don't like the taste, and I don't like the practice (no matter how ethical it's claimed to be). I'd rather eat less salmon and pay more for it.

I also don't eat eggs, or at least no more than a few times a year. So I could argue that I get fast growth because I don't eat eggs, or for that matter, because I don't eat much fish and don't eat all organic. Or because I live in a foggy area, or any number of things.

It's wild caught today!

swearnsue
July 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
It's wild caught today!

A little off topic...how did your cassia treatment come out?

Silverbrumby
July 6th, 2012, 07:48 PM
It's wild caught today!

There is wild salmon in Florida? I had no idea ss an Aussie living in Cal. I know I have them in the creek behind my house around January.

Also how much is the wild caught fresh salmon. How do you know it's today? Oh and no, I cannot catch the salmon behind my house cause they are endangered and...

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
There is wild salmon in Florida? I had no idea ss an Aussie living in Cal. I know I have them in the creek behind my house around January.

Also how much is the wild caught fresh salmon. How do you know it's today? Oh and no, I cannot catch the salmon behind my house cause they are endangered and...

I'm pretty sure there is no Salmon around here in FL. There are plenty of fish markets and such with fresh exotic fish, but they aren't local :shrug: I even did a search online to check with no results.

There are plenty of other types of fish caught locally.

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
The wild salmon we've been able to get the past couple of years has been coho from Alaska, for the most part. Coho isn't bad, but this salmon I want to get is locally caught king (chinook), and it is the best tasting salmon around.

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM
A little off topic...how did your cassia treatment come out?

I was going to post a picture soon! It turned out AMAZING! I highly recommend it! What I did was use chamomile tea, instead of plain water, and I used the "neutral" color for blondes. I left it on for 3 hours, since I think it needed the full time. My hair went from being cool blonde to golden blonde! It also relaxed my curls...not too thrilled about that, but that will subside soon! My hair is also very soft!

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM

I've never heard of salmon in FL, but I know we have a lot of bass! I'm living in IL right now anyhow. ;(

I get my fish from whole foods. It's fresh, delish, and sustainable!

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 11:30 PM
The wild salmon we've been able to get the past couple of years has been coho from Alaska, for the most part. Coho isn't bad, but this salmon I want to get is locally caught king (chinook), and it is the best tasting salmon around.

That does sound worth waiting for! :D We ended up with 3lbs of sockeye salmon. It will last us for the entire month and more!

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Still 2x to 3x what I can spend on food for myself for the month, so I do have to worry about prices. I'm not going to buy a pound of salmon for myself, for example, because that's a week of my personal food budget.
We split three ways too, but no one can pitch in more than $50.
Congrats on your garden!

It's all good. No worries. I was just giving you an example.
;)

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I was going to post a picture soon! It turned out AMAZING! I highly recommend it! What I did was use chamomile tea, instead of plain water, and I used the "neutral" color for blondes. I left it on for 3 hours, since I think it needed the full time. My hair went from being cool blonde to golden blonde! It also relaxed my curls...not too thrilled about that, but that will subside soon! My hair is also very soft!

Cassia is really awesome! ^^ I love that it leaves my hair a more warm, golden color, and over my red, it just looks fabulous. About your curls- have you considered adding a little bit of amla to the mix? It's supposed to aid in keeping the waves/curls during a henna or cassia treatment.

~maborosi~

SurferB
July 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Cassia is really awesome! ^^ I love that it leaves my hair a more warm, golden color, and over my red, it just looks fabulous. About your curls- have you considered adding a little bit of amla to the mix? It's supposed to aid in keeping the waves/curls during a henna or cassia treatment.

~maborosi~

Will my waves come back soon?? I'll look into it since I will be using Cassia again! I'm super happy with the results... :disco:

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Will my waves come back soon?? I'll look into it since I will be using Cassia again! I'm super happy with the results... :disco:

That's awesome that you've had such good results!

I think the effects of cassia (in terms of color and of the effects it has on hair) are less permanent than henna, and aren't nearly as strong- henna, for example, dyes -permanently- where as the effects of cassia can last for several weeks at most. I would imagine that because cassia isn't as strong as henna, your waves should be back soon. However, my hair is not naturally wavy, so maybe someone can help me out ^^;

But definitely check out amla if you want to make sure you don't lose your waves too much. :)

~maborosi~

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Only in the summer! But i think after caring for my hair correctly, my hair growth rate is back to 1 inch per month.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM
One thing nobody has yet mentioned and I wonder if it has just not picked up on. A few pages back SurferB mentioned her mom's thick, long hair. Her diet is clearly good for her but I think we are also forgetting her genetics.

Genetics is a really big part of how fabulous some members' hair looks I'm certain.

Genetics is definitely important.

Health, lifestyle, exercise, and access to quality foods, healthcare, etc. is also important. (As in, if you can only afford Ramen every day, you may be nutritionally deficient... which ultimately affects hair growth.) Ditto with healthcare: if you don't, won't, or can't see doctors and have a thyroid problem, your hair can suffer. Ditto if you don't exercise, take care of yourself, sleep enough, etc. Sometimes families may not be lucky genetically, but take good care of their health, exercise, etc. and see great benefits-- hair and otherwise.

1.5 inches a month is not my norm.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM

For $1, you could buy the generic, slightly older loaf of bread.

For $1, a jar of dollar store peanut butter.

Please tell me that burger doesn't have more calories than an entire loaf of bread.

For $1, you can get 4-6 cans of Ramen soup at the dollar store.

Any of the above goes further on the dollar than one fast food meal for $1.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Interesting.

Do you just show up at springs with empty bottles and fill them free?
I'll have to look into this.

firegypsy
July 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
unless you're sitting down with a jar of peanut butter and spoon, I still maintain that that $99 cent burger (or specials where they do 2 for $99) has more calories for the dollar. I'm not in any way saying they're "good" calories, don't misunderstand. But calories nonetheless.

Look, I don't eat fast food, my kids have never eaten fast food. But I know the reality of being extremely poor, and if you're trying to supply calories that fast food burger does that pretty well.

IF you can get a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter for $2 (I don't know if you can, I'll take you word) then that's a better choice in terms of it will feed more people. I don't in any way believe it's a healthier choice. My two cents.

Perelka74
July 9th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I get 1/2 inch per mth , maybe summer will bring something a little more , I am 2.5 inches away from my first goal BSL and second goal 4 inches more .

SurferB
July 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
@hairstuck:

Exactly! We have four, 5-gallon jugs that we fill up. I keep finding more springs, the more I go nature walking. Wells are amazing as well and much better than city water. It's free, too! Unlike city water!

SurferB
July 9th, 2012, 10:21 AM
@Hairstuck--- You made some good points about the peanut butter, bread, and ramen noodles. I would have to agree that if I were broke, I would buy things like this or bananas. In my area, you can go to Joe Caputos and get a 10lbs box of bananas for $1 because they are bruised. You can also get deals like this with ALL their produce, meats, breads, etc., all of $1.

If I had the choice to get fast food $1 for 1 meal, versus, an entire loaf of bread/peanutbutter I would have to choose the smarter deal of the two, which is the peanut butter/bread.

SwordWomanRiona
July 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Whole eggs don't affect your cholesterol levels, unless you have heart disease in the family, or had it. Saturated plays plays a greater role in increasing cholesterol levels. ;)

[ Popping in here]

Of course they affect cholesterol levels! My mum has hereditary cholesterol issues, and she can't eat hardly any egg jokes. Yokes are high in cholesterol. Now, if one has normal cholesterol levels, two jokes a week is fine, but with cholesterol issues, not at all. When I make cakes at home I only use 1 joke out of 3 and three whites, because of my mum.

Rain
July 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Please tell me that burger doesn't have more calories than an entire loaf of bread.

Dollar store bread is white bread. If it says it's wheat, it's white bread with dye. You are not going to find whole grain bread at the dollar store. Not at mine, anyway. Likewise, dollar store peanut butter is full of hydrogenated oils, that are soooo bad for you. A burger is probably more filling and at least has some vegetables on it. A hamburger from In-N-Out (a bit more than a buck, but not by a lot) is 390 calories. 240 calories if you get it protein style (wrapped in lettuce rather than on a bun). A loaf of bread is much higher in calories and not as nutritionally diverse. No, I am not saying burgers are health food.

firegypsy
July 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Dollar store bread is white bread. If it says it's wheat, it's white bread with dye. You are not going to find whole grain bread at the dollar store. Not at mine, anyway. Likewise, dollar store peanut butter is full of hydrogenated oils, that are soooo bad for you. A burger is probably more filling and at least has some vegetables on it. A hamburger from In-N-Out (a bit more than a buck, but not by a lot) is 390 calories. 240 calories if you get it protein style (wrapped in lettuce rather than on a bun). A loaf of bread is much higher in calories and not as nutritionally diverse. No, I am not saying burgers are health food.

thank you.

Mrsbaybeegurl
July 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
[ Popping in here]

Of course they affect cholesterol levels! My mum has hereditary cholesterol issues, and she can't eat hardly any egg jokes. Yokes are high in cholesterol. Now, if one has normal cholesterol levels, two jokes a week is fine, but with cholesterol issues, not at all. When I make cakes at home I only use 1 joke out of 3 and three whites, because of my mum.

This is true for a small percentage of people who are already predisposed to high cholesterol, but for many people eggs have NO effect of chloestrol at all b/c the cholesterol in eggs is different than the kind that causes heart disease. It's kind of like how peeople used to think fat was the enemy and then we realised that theres a diffrence between good fat and bad fat and that good fat can help us lose weight and stay healthy. (http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/7301/title/Reevaluating_Eggs_Cholesterol_Risks)

My underweight 4 year old son had higher than normal cholesterol and the doctor said to feed him eggs as much as he wanted but cut down on the milk (high in saturated fat) and his numbers are normal now and as a household we go through about 4-5 dozen eggs a week! But are down from 3 gallons a milk a week to just 1- that made all the difference.

On a quick off topic side note, not all saturaated fat is bad either - coconut oil is amazing for the body and grass fed raw milk/butter/cheese is also beneficial but when you eat the kind that's from grain fed cows (like our family does since its sadly cheaper) the saturated fat can cause more harm than good. I wish high quality raw grass fed products were cheaper :(

Mrsbaybeegurl
July 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM

I find most UNHEALTHY food, whether from a drive through window or grocery store is sooo much more affordable. You are correct with those prices, but they are filled with chemicals and ingredients that leave you nutritionally void and make insulin levels spike. The peanut butter I buy is $4.00...it's ingreiendts are dry roasted peanuts....that's it! Better yet, my jar of alond butter is $11.00...The bread i buy is 4.89 a loaf for about 12 slices, it's sprouted grain bread and is full of nutrition that feeds and fuels my body- no sugar, no high fructose this or that, no bleached enriched flour. Soup is never from a can in my house and to make a large pot of it costs at least $30.00 with all the veggies I use...granted we have leftover but it's still the cost just to make it fresh.

The truth is food that is horrendous for our health is dirt cheap, why is a package of celery 2.99? 1 single cucumber $1.oo and an avocado $2.50 how about berries at 4.99 a pint...it's crazy! I want me and my family healthy but every time I see my grocery bill I want to scream. But if I back down and "save money" and buy dirt cheap food we end up sick and unhealthy.

I do agree fast food is not filling, back when my husband and I were young and living out of hotels and rooming houses we ate once a day at a fast food joint, I would only be full for less than an hour and ate at least 3 dollar menu items! 2 double cheeseburgers and a chicken sandwich sounds nauseatingly filling, but I was hungry almost as soon as i ate the last bite.

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
@hairstuck:

Exactly! We have four, 5-gallon jugs that we fill up. I keep finding more springs, the more I go nature walking. Wells are amazing as well and much better than city water. It's free, too! Unlike city water!
It's a common misconception among people who live in the city that somehow people in the rural areas are so lucky, because their water is "free." Not quite. Well pumps have a limited lifespan, and replacing one runs about $1200 here. Well tanks sometimes need replacement, and sometimes there's other maintenance that needs to be done. If the well runs out, you can figure $10K to dig a new one, at a bare minimum. Testing costs, too. Well water isn't any cheaper than city water, and you don't have the city fixing things if something goes wrong. We don't pay monthly, but we pay in large lump sums--and if you don't have the money, then you're SOL.

Same thing with sewage costs. Pumping a septic tank isn't free, maintaining a tank isn't free, and if you need to redo your leach field, it definitely isn't free. Living on well and septic is expensive in the sense that you need to have several thousand dollars available at any given time to spend on maintenance. People in the city only have to worry about monthly bills.

jeanniet
July 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Beans are about the best bang for your buck around, assuming you have the facilities to cook them. I can pressure cook a pot of lentil soup in half an hour, make hummus with homecooked chickpeas, chickpea stew, curried lentils and quinoa, yum! I love beans, much more than meat.

That local wild king salmon was divine. There's a pound in the freezer and I had to buy another pound today. So delicious. Farmed salmon just doesn't have the taste wild salmon does, and yep, I can tell the difference. ;)

FrannyG
July 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Just popping in to say that your growth rate in very enviable, SurferB, and you and your hair are lovely. :flower:

I also want to say that while your diet and exercise plan may help your growth rate, it most likely isn't the reason for your growth rate.

I have found that most peoples' growth rates are hereditary. My hair always grew 3/4 inch a month, as did other members of my family.

Of course hormones also affect growth rate. Shortly before I entered menopause, which one only really knows after the fact (for me, it took place between December 2010 and December 2011), my growth rate slowed down to only 1/2 inch per month.

Medications can change growth rate as well. I was on a particular med for about 3 years, and my growth rate was faster than ever (1 inch per month--twice the average).
That was the only good side effect to that horrible med.

The bottom line is that we can all eat exactly the way you eat, we can exercise the way you do, but there is no reason to believe that we would increase our growth rate in the process.

I just feel really bad when people do things and spend money to emulate someone who has a biological gift of hair thickness, growth rate, or both. Some people are anomalies by nature, and to try to find the magic bullet to have hair like these people is fruitless.

To just give two examples, Dianyla and Ultrabella each have hair that is truly a wonder of nature. There is nothing in the world that I could ever do to have hair like them. So I'm happy with my own.

Having said that, a healthy lifestyle is always the best idea. There's nothing more important than good health. I think that goes without saying though. :)

SurferB
July 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
@SwordWomanRiona-- That's why I said people with heart disease or strokes should avoid them or people who have it in the family. Eggs itself does not affect cholesterol levels, it's saturated fat that plays a large role in ones chol level. Plus, science is now saying cholesterol levels aren't a good indicator of heart health. Calcium buildup in the heart is a great indicator, versus, cholesterol levels.

swearnsue
July 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
@SwordWomanRiona-- That's why I said people with heart disease or strokes should avoid them or people who have it in the family. Eggs itself does not affect cholesterol levels, it's saturated fat that plays a large role in ones chol level. Plus, science is now saying cholesterol levels aren't a good indicator of heart health. Calcium buildup in the heart is a great indicator, versus, cholesterol levels.

SurferB, unless you are a medical doctor I think you should be careful giving advice about heart disease. You can give info about your cholesterol levels and your diet but heart disease is a serious matter. I know you are passionate about your diet and you have ideas about nutrition etc. but keep in mind that you might be wrong (we are all only human after all).

SurferB
July 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
SurferB, unless you are a medical doctor I think you should be careful giving advice about heart disease. You can give info about your cholesterol levels and your diet but heart disease is a serious matter. I know you are passionate about your diet and you have ideas about nutrition etc. but keep in mind that you might be wrong (we are all only human after all).

I'm a Certified Clinical Nutritionist (CCN). I’m fully capable by the law, to give nutritional advice, and I'm qualified and trained to do so. I'm currently working on becoming an RD as well, and my masters in nutrition. Honestly, anyone citing from the peer-reviewed, accredited studies supporting that statement, can do so without a nutrition degree. It’s a proven fact that saturated fats have a great impact on cholesterol levels, and not cholesterol itself from dietary sources, unless you have a family history of cardiovascular diseases or had cardio disease.

Idk if you know this but most MD’s are not trained in nutrition…