PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying WO......

Blackfire
June 19th, 2012, 06:42 AM
It seems like my hair is ALWAYS dry, or else its coated with some kind of build up that makes it feel cakey and gross. Hardly does it ever feel good anymore :( It seems like WO would be so much easier if it works! I wouldnt have to worry about if I washed out the DT I just did, or if I did a DT when I really needed to clarify and just couldnt tell the difference...

Right now im using organic cone free and sls free shampoo and conditioner, Ive read over many WO articles and think I should give it a try. Any of you WOers have any tips tricks or warnings?? Im a little scared of shedding more, or having something go terribly wrong. Not to mention how do you do a DT when you WO??? :couch:

Zesty
June 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I just wanted to say that I have a LOT of the same problems you're describing, and have been considering working my way up to WO or even NW lately because of it. I just wanted to ask if you have hard water? Because I think a lot of my problems are caused by hard water, and a vinegar rinse has helped a bit. Also I think people with hard water have more problems with WO than people with soft water. I know there's one WOer who has "miracle water" which is tap water with some acidic elements added, which lets her WO with hard water. Just a thought. :flower: Also if you don't have much luck on this thread I'd try asking in the official WO thread. Either way I hope you figure out something that works for you.

Deborah
June 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM
There's no risk if you want to try WO. I did it for 22 months, and enjoyed the journey very much. I did not do any other sort of treatments with it, (but then again, I don't now either.) I figured that my hair was being naturally conditioned all those months by the sebum I produced. There was no hair loss or damage to my hair or scalp at all. I'm glad I did it. Give it a good long try!

Some folks find they can go on that way more or less forever. I have returned to CO washing, but I do not regret the almost two years that I spent doing WO.

Good luck! :)

Blackfire
June 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Im curious as to why you stopped....

Deborah
June 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Im curious as to why you stopped....

My hair was healthy and sleek, but I was tired of the water-only washes, so I decided to try just one CO wash to see if I wanted to switch back. I liked the way my hair looked and felt, so I returned to CO. WO was rather fun, but it was a lot of work. I needed to scritch my scalp, and brush and comb a lot to try to spread the sebum down the length. CO is easier, my hair stays quite nice with remarkably little effort, and I don't have to think about it all the time. I'm all about clean, easy, and carefree when it comes to my hair.

But, the experiments I have tried have been a lot of fun, and I don't regret WO at all.

EndlessSunshine
June 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
My tips are to keep your brushes clean, be patient, and wear your hair up. WO worked really well for me when I had softer water, now we live in a hard water area but I am trying to get back to WO eventually with the help of the vinegar rinses.

caadam
June 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
WO routine is good for people who don't want to deal with products and who are willing to transition from products to none at all.

Transitioning is different for everyone. It might take you a few months, it might take you longer than a year, or you could be lucky and it'll take you less than a few months. Or... you might never hit the end of your transition. It's different for every person. Just be prepared for that.

You will experience lots of sebum production at first, and you will need to adopt new habits and have the proper tools to deal with it. Scritching and preening are somewhat essential for most WOers, and most use BBBs or combs to help pull down sebum from the new growth and down the length.

Getting the buildup of sebum from your scalp and new growth down to your length can take a while. For me... it took about three months for my sebum to finally spread all over my hair. For some, it takes less time, and for others, it takes longer. I have long hair, and lots of it, so I think that also affected my ability to move sebum down.

If you have hard water, you need to be prepared for issues with mineral deposits. They will build up on your hair if you're WO, and that can make hair look and feel heavy, gross, and lifeless. Some people invest in a filter system so they can have softer water, which helps. When I was WO, I treated my own water with ascorbic acid powder and citric acid powder. It did the job well for me.

If you do WO, you might experience some scalp issues, like itching and dandruff. AVC rinses are good for that, or honey, or oil (though with oil, you'll have to endure oiliness. Obviously lol. But it does help). Massaging also helps, and scritching. Both help to stimulate the scalp and lift dead skin, dirt, and oil off the scalp before a wash.

Hope that helps. :flower:

morrigan*
June 20th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Also if you have really hard water it's hard to make it work properly. I tried it for 3 months last year and my ends were horribly dry, even oiling didn't help.
It's a lot of work and quiet time consuming, which is not the routine i'm looking for, so it didn't last long.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Also if you have really hard water it's hard to make it work properly. I tried it for 3 months last year and my ends were horribly dry, even oiling didn't help.
It's a lot of work and quiet time consuming, which is not the routine i'm looking for, so it didn't last long.

Before I figured out how to deal with the hard water issue, I had to clarify in order to remove all the mineral deposits. It gave me a fresh start and chance to wash my hair with treated water. It honestly wasn't very time consuming; it was just hard to worm my way through all of the WO barriers. lol

But yeah... hard water is a problem when it comes to mineral buildup. If you don't get rid of it, then it just builds and builds.

morrigan*
June 20th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Before I figured out how to deal with the hard water issue, I had to clarify in order to remove all the mineral deposits. It gave me a fresh start and chance to wash my hair with treated water. It honestly wasn't very time consuming; it was just hard to worm my way through all of the WO barriers. lol

But yeah... hard water is a problem when it comes to mineral buildup. If you don't get rid of it, then it just builds and builds.

For me it took quiet a bit of time for combing, scratching, brushing. Also i took a lot longer for my hair to dry. But i tried it in winter months, probably if i tried in summer it will be better, since it is a lot warmer.
I clarified on the beginning and i always use ACV with last rinse, since hard water even caused problems when i'm using normal s&c routine. But it didn't work out for me, i might try again when i grow out colour damage :whip:, but we'll see then :)

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 01:27 AM
For me it took quiet a bit of time for combing, scratching, brushing. Also i took a lot longer for my hair to dry. But i tried it in winter months, probably if i tried in summer it will be better, since it is a lot warmer.
I clarified on the beginning and i always use ACV with last rinse, since hard water even caused problems when i'm using normal s&c routine. But it didn't work out for me, i might try again when i grow out colour damage :whip:, but we'll see then :)

Well, I'll tell ya right now: ACV doesn't get rid of mineral deposits. I learned that through some discussion I had with a few people in the forum some months ago. Lemon juice is good for chelating minerals, as is citric acid and ascorbic acid. ACV, though, doesn't do the same thing. It's very good for bringing the scalp's acid mantle back into balance, though, and it acts as a nice conditioner for some people. :)

And yeah. It took me a LONG time with lots of combing, brushing, scritching, preening. Three months' worth, and I'm sure more if I had kept on with WO.

Hopefully all works out for you. :D

morrigan*
June 20th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Well, I'll tell ya right now: ACV doesn't get rid of mineral deposits. I learned that through some discussion I had with a few people in the forum some months ago. Lemon juice is good for chelating minerals, as is citric acid and ascorbic acid. ACV, though, doesn't do the same thing. It's very good for bringing the scalp's acid mantle back into balance, though, and it acts as a nice conditioner for some people. :)

And yeah. It took me a LONG time with lots of combing, brushing, scritching, preening. Three months' worth, and I'm sure more if I had kept on with WO.

Hopefully all works out for you. :D

Okay something new to learn :D didn't know that.
For me it's definitely acts like conditioner :)

Katze
June 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM
WO works really well for me.

My current routine is WO every 3-4 days, with a clarifying SMT-W or CWC wash every 14 days or so.

My hair hangs better, feels and looks smoother and tidier, and feels much less dry. My scalp is a lot less sensitive than with CO or CWC.

However, I am both a fine-haired wavy (problematic, difficult hair) and pregnant ;) so your experience might be very different.

Blackfire
June 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Im a curly, I play with my hair a lot so I might just love the whole preening things.. I went ahead and tried a WO wash right after posting this with a small vinegar rinse and.... sweet pokemon, my hair feels better then it EVER has! I think this MAY be right for me even though it was only the first time. I dilute my shampoo to a drizzle anyway or else my hair gets super dry and flaky scalp and all that fun. Im going to do it for as long I can and see how it all goes.... wish me luck!