PDA

View Full Version : What is the best "end protecting" style

Arden
June 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
My hair at it's longest is now APL ....I have layers and the very shortest is probably somewhere around the mouth / chin area.... I have been wearing pony tails then I was advised that that was bad if your trying to grow because it causes breakage... So I switched to buns, but my ends are starting to look worn.... could the buns be causing that?

what is your best suggestion for hairstyles that protect your ends while growing? Particularly when you're dealing with "shorter" hair

Amapola
June 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'm new, but this is my best guess: it's like asking what is the "best" breakfast cereal. It all depends on your individual hair type.

At your length, I was using these nice hair clips with a hair net attached. I think they helped me, but the clip itself was damaging. However my hair did grow anyway.

So I say, experiment, and always be prepared to change your mind and try something different.

Slug Yoga
June 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I can't really think of how buns would be damaging to your ends, but I suppose it depends on how you're securing the bun? Like maybe that's a possibility if you were using some sort of thin elastic around the bun that was primarily touching the ends, or if you were using bobby pins that were snagging the hair? I have no idea what your "hair history" is but is it possible that the ends are just the most damaged parts in general because of past hair-care routines?

I would think that something softer and "padded," like a scrunchie, would be less damaging than a thinner elastic. Doing a ponytail in a scrunchie doesn't seem like it would be very damaging to me.

Arden
June 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I can't really think of how buns would be damaging to your ends, but I suppose it depends on how you're securing the bun? Like maybe that's a possibility if you were using some sort of thin elastic around the bun that was primarily touching the ends, or if you were using bobby pins that were snagging the hair? I have no idea what your "hair history" is but is it possible that the ends are just the most damaged parts in general because of past hair-care routines?

I would think that something softer and "padded," like a scrunchie, would be less damaging than a thinner elastic. Doing a ponytail in a scrunchie doesn't seem like it would be very damaging to me.

There may be some truth to this... I have some ties that feel like they might be "to tight" ...I was wondering if perhaps it might be because some of my ends are a little "short" for the bun and kind of fray out...

I got a super bad hair cut a few months back where the girl cut the top layer way too short... I've had a trim in between to try and clean it up some but there are some pices that just want to pop out....

I'll definatly shop around and see if I can find some hair accessories that fit better... that sounds like it might be the problem...

NativeGirl
June 18th, 2012, 11:16 PM
You could try spin-pins to hold your bun. That's the only thing I use for my buns - and I wear a bun everyday.

SongofLove
June 19th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Do you go out in the sun frequently? One thing I did while I was growing out that I regret is wearing my hair up with the ends exposed in the sunlight---I think that this caused my ends to be particularly damaged and dry. Nowadays I wear hats, scarves and hoodies to protect my hair from the sun.

natural_shine
June 19th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Silk/velvet scrunchie loose buns, with no other things added.

Madora
June 19th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Perhaps you might try experimenting with the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

bumblebums
June 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
You could try spin-pins to hold your bun. That's the only thing I use for my buns - and I wear a bun everyday.

Spin pins are awesome, I second this. They hold like a rock all day.

At APL, you might be able to do a French twist, too.

Don't use elastics on your buns. That's so undergraddy :)

Shiranshoku
June 19th, 2012, 08:24 AM
What about a tucked french braid? It works well for layers, and you can lightly oil the tassel. I wear my hair like that very often, because it's still short it doesn't need extra pins to hold it in place.

proo
June 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Crown braid:
It will accommodate both your length and layers
ends tucked up tight next to the scalp

bumblebums
June 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM
What about a tucked french braid? It works well for layers, and you can lightly oil the tassel. I wear my hair like that very often, because it's still short it doesn't need extra pins to hold it in place.

Absolutely! Just make sure you vary the placement of the elastic, if you use one.

Arden
June 19th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Wow guys, thanks so much! These are all excellent suggestions... I guess I need to invest in some new little hair doodad's though....

I do get alot of sun exsposure. Not intentionally. I live on the coast so my arms tan without effort... (i hate that by the way.. my skin is naturally pale and I like it that way...) Simply going back and forth to the car running errands everyday give me a tan... Maybe I should start wearing a scarf....

You've all given me some really good ideas to experiment with....

AdaClare
June 19th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm new, but this is my best guess: it's like asking what is the "best" breakfast cereal. It all depends on your individual hair type.

At your length, I was using these nice hair clips with a hair net attached. I think they helped me, but the clip itself was damaging. However my hair did grow anyway.

So I say, experiment, and always be prepared to change your mind and try something different.

I agree. :) For my hair type, a cinnabun keeps my ends in pretty good shape.

jacqueline101
June 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I like the tucked braid and make sure you don't put tight elastics in your hair.

my2cats1
June 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I second (third?) the tucked french braid idea. Depending on your hair type, you might be able to get it to stay with just a flexi-8 (so no worries about damage from elastic bands).

blond_betty
June 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I don't really like having my hair on my neck much, especially when I'm working around the house, so I usually will try to braid it as far as I can and then tuck the ends up under the braid at the base and secure it with a scrunchie. Does that make sense?

blond_betty
June 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Sorry, I guess someone else suggested something similar. Great minds think alike. :P