PDA

View Full Version : less frequent washing = more shed?

curlytiff27
June 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi all. I have been shedding a lot, but I think I nay know why. I work from home so I typically don't wash my hair daily, just shower. Sometimes I go a week without washing it. However when I.do, my average daily hairloss is a lot....not just because its all coming out at that .one time either. As I tend to count it. But, the past few days I've washed more frequently and noticed a dramatic decrease in loss. I also notice that when I wash more often my sdelp desnt get flaky, or itchy n bleed. Does anyone else notice this as well?

Thanks!

Slug Yoga
June 18th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hi all. I have been shedding a lot, but I think I nay know why. I work from home so I typically don't wash my hair daily, just shower. Sometimes I go a week without washing it. However when I.do, my average daily hairloss is a lot....not just because its all coming out at that .one time either. As I tend to count it. But, the past few days I've washed more frequently and noticed a dramatic decrease in loss. I also notice that when I wash more often my sdelp desnt get flaky, or itchy n bleed. Does anyone else notice this as well?

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not sure if I quite understand... are you saying that you shed more when you wash less frequently--and that you know this is not just a case of more shed hairs at 1 time (due to being dislodged during wash) vs. the same number of hairs distributed over multiple washes, because you've been counting the hairs?

If your scalp is flaky, itchy or, especially, bleeding(!) I'd definitely say that's a sign that something's not right. I don't really know much about scalp conditions, other posters might know more. Have you seen a doctor about the scalp issues?

Shepherdess
June 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I understand completely what you mean.

I used to wash my hair every single day and didn't have too much trouble with hair loss or an itchy scalp. But when I decided to try and grow my hair out longer and faster I began spacing my hair washes to once a week; but after that I also started having horrible itchiness and a flaky scalp with increased hair loss. I think that it is mostly because I perspire heavily and I have oilier skin, so my scalp seems to need to be washed more frequently. Now I have to wash my hair at least twice a week (I might start washing it three times a week) to keep down the itchiness and flaky scalp.

During wintertime it wasn't as bad because it was cooler outside and so I didn't sweat so much.

prettykitty
June 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I've recently gone from washing three times a week to washing maybe twice...actually it's maybe less than twice, more like every four or five days instead of every two or three. I do lose a little more hair when I wash, but I figure I would have lost that hair in the course of my normal washing anyway, if that makes sense. I wasn't really trying to stretch washes...it's just that it's winter here and I don't like to go out with wet hair (especially now it is much longer) and I have really found the extra dirty day beneficial to the health of my hair, it is much less dry.
My scalp doesn't seem to mind a bit of extra oil, and isn't flaky or anything, but I do oil my scalp before washday religiously with a little Castor oil/EVOO/Tea Tree. My hair does shed a lot, but I am growing many many new baby hairs now, too.
It's odd that going grubby is upsetting your scalp, but there's no accounting for what hair likes/dislikes. Are you using traditional shampoo with sulfates and silicones? Maybe your scalp has some buildup on it and is having trouble 'breathing'? I'd second what SlugYoga said, if your scalp is actually bleeding you should get it checked by a medical professional.

ladylowtide
June 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Bleeding scalp is not normal! And if you have flakes that aren't tiny, you probably have a scalp condition. I have dandruff, but my fiancee has seboreic dermatitis, and before he found the right shampoo, he used to have bad flakes, itchy sometimes bloody scalp and bad shedding.

I would definitely see your doctor, there are plenty of scalp conditions that could potentially cause worse shedding when their is excessive build up on your scalp. I personally love stretching to once a week, but if you have scalp problem then you should focus on the health of your scalp. I'm sure getting your scalp healthy if that is in fact the problem, will pay off more in the long run than stretching your washes.

Some scalp conditions cause not only shedding, but hair loss if not taken care of properly, so I would get it checked out.

curlytiff27
June 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I understand completely what you mean.

I used to wash my hair every single day and didn't have too much trouble with hair loss or an itchy scalp. But when I decided to try and grow my hair out longer and faster I began spacing my hair washes to once a week; but after that I also started having horrible itchiness and a flaky scalp with increased hair loss. I think that it is mostly because I perspire heavily and I have oilier skin, so my scalp seems to need to be washed more frequently. Now I have to wash my hair at least twice a week (I might start washing it three times a week) to keep down the itchiness and flaky scalp.

During wintertime it wasn't as bad because it was cooler outside and so I didn't sweat so much.

YES! This is exactly what I have done! I've mentioned it to my doctor who says nothing is out of the norm. I know better, but can't get to a different doctor. I used to wash daily my whole life as well. So I think going from that to once per week is what my problem is. After I posted my thread last night, I searched google, which lead me back to here where other's have had this same issue. So yes, my shed count is less when I wash more frequently, and not because it's not as many days. The average per daily count is less when I wash more frequently. I just had an iron test so I know it's not iron or thyroid, as I have had that tested as well.

ladylowtide, what shampoo did your fiance' start using?

Thanks.

elousays
June 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I just starting noticing this problem on myself as well!

Like Shepherdess said, I think maybe the summertime is what made it more noticeable. I noticed that the more I go without washes (in the hot summer) the more my scalp has acted up, I've got the itch, flakes, as well as bumps that will bleed if I scratch them. I don't think I've got a scalp condition I just think my scalp likes to be clean.

I've been low-poo for over two years now, but I think that as my hair gets longer it just needs more TLC. I really like shampoo with tea tree oil in it (I use Avalon Organics).

rock007junkie
June 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
For me this is totally true. I have to wash twice a week. If I go more than 5 days without washing I notice a definite increase in the amount of hair I shed that's what usually makes me want to wash. Maybe if hair is oily is easier for the hair to come out or something.

OhioLisa
June 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I have the exact same results. I think it is because of my oily complexion. Excess oils build up in the hair follicles and pores, increasing shedding. I stick with washing every day to every other day. Skin and hair are happiest that way. :)

Henrietta
June 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I think I had a similar issue when I tried to stretch washes. I tried to manipulate my hair as little as possible, so there was no brushing, minimal combing, just changing (simple) updos. And a while before washing, when I would finally brush my hair I had lots of shedding. Same in the shower. I thought it's just accumulated daily shedding that didn't have the chance to fall off my head in all the days between washes because of low manipulation, no brushing etc. But I guess it was just my scalp protesting.

Despite the fact that the doctor said bleeding scalp is something normal, I would still go and find another one. It doesn't seem "normal", no matter what.

snowcloud
June 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
You seem to be shedding less when you wash because you are removing the dead hair that don't need to be there anymore. When you don't wash they can build up a bit.. Though this doesn't mean that washing more is better for you

curlytiff27
June 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
You seem to be shedding less when you wash because you are removing the dead hair that don't need to be there anymore. When you don't wash they can build up a bit.. Though this doesn't mean that washing more is better for you

No, this is not why for me. When I wash one time per week, my average daily hair count is more than it it between only two days worth. I have had this happen before, but failed to remember it, and thought a good bit about it earlier. I've always been a daily washer and had long hair. Since working from home now, I do not wash my hair as often, and have noticed the increase in shed count the longer i stretch my washes. If I only go one day two days between washes, I average maybe 50 hairs. But, I stretch it out a week, my shed average goes up to over 100-150 per day. I have a touchy scalp.

henné
June 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe when you wash your hair only once a week, you tend scratch your scalp a lot and that way dig out some of your hair or you break your hair at the scalp and that way create more hairloss. That would also explain the bleeding scalp.

Scarlet_Heart
June 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wow... I've been dealing with major hair loss for a year now. Incidentally I started going the natural hair route about a year ago. I thought it was the henna causing my shedding, so I stopped that. But I'm still going through it. I wash every 3 days. But when you mentioned that you didn't shed as much when you washed every day that struck a cord with me.

Back when I used to shampoo/condition every day like a typical woman, I hardly shed at all. Now here I am. I'm going to try washing every night and see if that helps.

Thanks for mentioning this!

curlytiff27
June 19th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Wow... I've been dealing with major hair loss for a year now. Incidentally I started going the natural hair route about a year ago. I thought it was the henna causing my shedding, so I stopped that. But I'm still going through it. I wash every 3 days. But when you mentioned that you didn't shed as much when you washed every day that struck a cord with me.

Back when I used to shampoo/condition every day like a typical woman, I hardly shed at all. Now here I am. I'm going to try washing every night and see if that helps.

Thanks for mentioning this!

You're welcome! I hope it helps you out! Let me know! I know for me, Im not scratching my scalp or pulling out hair or that it is hair breakage, because of the bulb at the end. I also started growing my hair out longer and washing much less than I always have my entire life! that is what it lead to with me, an irritated scalp, because I also use products on my hair as it's curly, and I think it's all the build up and such. I really do think it can clog the follicles. Every one is different. My sister can go days without washing with no problem. Oh well, lesson learned.

prettykitty
June 19th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hmm. So maybe the increased shedding when stretching washes is related to oilier hair or problematic scalps? My scalp and hair tend to be a bit drier, so that's why stretching washes helps me... It makes sense :)

natural_shine
June 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM
For me, personally, less frequent washing ceratinly means more shed. Because it gets oily, and oil drowned scalp doesn't hold folicles too well.

HintOfMint
June 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Thanks!

In reference to the phrase highlighted in bold--if that's the case then wash away! Please! LHC blessings all around! Not every scalp can handle stretched washes.

KwaveT
June 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
My hair would produce more oil if I tried to wash everyday and it gets oily enough as is. I only wash every third day. I deshed my hair the next morning after washing in the evening. At least to me I seem to do more shedding on mornings after a hair washing. I guess everybody is different.