PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody please establish that...

Debra83
June 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
....chocolate is a super hair growth formula? I would really like to try that route. :p

I can DREAM can't I?

Okay, so what exactly are the superfoods for good growth? Protein? Veggies? Grain? All of the above? Do any of them lean to being better to have more of in our diet? I'm talking ingesting now. Not slathering on the hair.

Amygirl8
June 18th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I would love to experiment slathering chocolate on my hair to see if it improves growth XDD

I'm not too sure, but I heard fish was very good. Everything else got jumbled up.
To be honest, I think the "superfood" is a healthy diet in general XD

Debra83
June 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I would love to experiment slathering chocolate on my hair to see if it improves growth XDD

I'm not too sure, but I heard fish was very good. Everything else got jumbled up.
To be honest, I think the "superfood" is a healthy diet in general XD

I'm a little confused about it too.

I DO know that when I started drinking more milk, eating more yoghurt with fruit, and three good meals a day, and wearing my hair up in a ponytail....things took off at that time.

My friend's sister, doesn't eat well, drinks wayyyyy to much alcohol, smokes like 3 packs a day, but when she and her daughter both wore ponytails for the summer....BOTH their hair doubled in length. Go figure.

Jesabel
June 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Some people's hair just seems to grow no matter what! Others of us need to make sure we are eating a balanced diet, good fats, protein, all our essential vitamins and minerals and drinking lots of water. I think a good over all diet is key :) Generally I think when someone has had good growth with a certain food/vitamin is maybe because they weren't getting enough of it before and were say, lacking the protein so when they increased it, it increased their growth.

Debra83
June 18th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Some people's hair just seems to grow no matter what! Others of us need to make sure we are eating a balanced diet, good fats, protein, all our essential vitamins and minerals and drinking lots of water. I think a good over all diet is key :) Generally I think when someone has had good growth with a certain food/vitamin is maybe because they weren't getting enough of it before and were say, lacking the protein so when they increased it, it increased their growth.

That makes sense. Too bad!

ravenreed
June 18th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Summer growth spurt? Mine grows in fits and spurts...

I'm a little confused about it too.

I DO know that when I started drinking more milk, eating more yoghurt with fruit, and three good meals a day, and wearing my hair up in a ponytail....things took off at that time.

My friend's sister, doesn't eat well, drinks wayyyyy to much alcohol, smokes like 3 packs a day, but when she and her daughter both wore ponytails for the summer....BOTH their hair doubled in length. Go figure.

Littlewing13
June 18th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Oh yes well I am happy to try chocolate anyways... Fingers crossed... I will report back ;)

Unfortunately unless you are deficient in some mineral you will not get any extra growth out of your hair. A healthy balanced diet with lots of fruit & veg & protein will make sure you have no deficiencies. The average growth is about 1/2inch per month.

prettykitty
June 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I try to eat plenty of veggies, fruits, protein and especially healthy fats. My skin and hair become incredibly dry if I don't eat enough fat. I also try to drink very little, and in moderation when I do, because it makes me feel all nasty inside, ugh! I also drink lots of water.
Lol, it makes me sound so healthy....please be aware that my diet is offset by healthy amounts of cupcakes and chocolate ;P

Jing
June 19th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Here's a thread on whey protein: forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91208 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91208) Protein in general is necessary for optimal hair growth, but this one is supposed to be especially good for your hair.

ariesfairies
June 19th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Eat a superfood rich diet for all of you, not just for growing out your hair! :P

Either way, getting an awesome diet involves a bit of everything.. yes, all you mentioned above. It is a little overwhelming trying to muster a list of all foods you should eat all the time but... well, focus on what you really need. So if you had skin problems like acne, focus on what can help it, etc.

Chocolate.. well moreso pure cocoa bean/powder (not the ones that already have sugar inside ready for hot cocoa) has lots of antioxidants, caffeine (it's useful for external purposes too, someone tell me if its any good for hair though?), and some essential minerals like magnesium and iron. (Sourced: http://www.cacaoweb.net/nutrition.html) However, I believe more has been studied on the injesting of cocoa, than then the topical use of it. All I know its popular among women in products because hey ITS GOT CHOCOLATE! :lol:

But otherwise, it smells good. If you want, you could just use cocoa powder as you would with something like rose essential oil, to make your homemade mixes something more pleasant. But cocoa butter is used in hair and skin products anyway. Cocoa butter is different to what the powder is though.

IndigoOptimist
June 19th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I'm being practically force fed avocado, my boyfriends dad (who we live with) looked up what it was good for.... turns out almost everything and I made the mistake of saying I love avocado. Now I eat it almost everyday.... If it's good for everything it must to a superfood for hair too right...? :)

Debra83
June 22nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Summer growth spurt? Mine grows in fits and spurts...

Yeah, I guess summer growth spurt, but they did it intentionally...the mom made the daughter wear the ponytail all the time, so her hair would get longer was her reasoning from past experience. The mom did it before lots (late 30's) whenever she wanted to grow out her hair....(and she's not even a member)!

Oh yes well I am happy to try chocolate anyways... Fingers crossed... I will report back ;)

Unfortunately unless you are deficient in some mineral you will not get any extra growth out of your hair. A healthy balanced diet with lots of fruit & veg & protein will make sure you have no deficiencies. The average growth is about 1/2inch per month.

I will join you in this dangerous quest for knowledge!

I try to eat plenty of veggies, fruits, protein and especially healthy fats. My skin and hair become incredibly dry if I don't eat enough fat. I also try to drink very little, and in moderation when I do, because it makes me feel all nasty inside, ugh! I also drink lots of water.
Lol, it makes me sound so healthy....please be aware that my diet is offset by healthy amounts of cupcakes and chocolate ;P

Phew, I'm glad you're not too healthy....where's the fun if you are!!!! :D

Eat a superfood rich diet for all of you, not just for growing out your hair! :P

Either way, getting an awesome diet involves a bit of everything.. yes, all you mentioned above. It is a little overwhelming trying to muster a list of all foods you should eat all the time but... well, focus on what you really need. So if you had skin problems like acne, focus on what can help it, etc.

Chocolate.. well moreso pure cocoa bean/powder (not the ones that already have sugar inside ready for hot cocoa) has lots of antioxidants, caffeine (it's useful for external purposes too, someone tell me if its any good for hair though?), and some essential minerals like magnesium and iron. (Sourced: http://www.cacaoweb.net/nutrition.html) However, I believe more has been studied on the injesting of cocoa, than then the topical use of it. All I know its popular among women in products because hey ITS GOT CHOCOLATE! :lol:

But otherwise, it smells good. If you want, you could just use cocoa powder as you would with something like rose essential oil, to make your homemade mixes something more pleasant. But cocoa butter is used in hair and skin products anyway. Cocoa butter is different to what the powder is though.

I would never use chocolate topically unless I planned on licking it off!!!!! :p

I'm being practically force fed avocado, my boyfriends dad (who we live with) looked up what it was good for.... turns out almost everything and I made the mistake of saying I love avocado. Now I eat it almost everyday.... If it's good for everything it must to a superfood for hair too right...? :) Well, if you get 5 feet of growth in 2 months...I'll consider it! Keep us posted!!!

I thought I clicked the response too about the protein powder?!!! Here's the kicker.....I have whey protein powder sitting beside the microwave on the counter.....It's CHOCOLATE flavour.....I FORGOT and it's been sitting there for a couple of months now....unbelievable. Just unbelievable. sigh.

hmmmmmm.....I wonder if chocolate helps hairgrowth AND memory?!!!!!!

Ligeia_13
June 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
I really hope it doesn't because it gives me terrible spots if I eat it too often. Just think what I'd be missing out on!

Nae
June 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Well, it couldn't hurt right? I mean chocolate doesn't slow up your hair growth or make hair fall out so that means it MUST be okay for hair growth right?

Amanah
June 22nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
You do know that cocoa powder has 3 times the antioxidants of green tea right?
Antioxidents are important in cell production.
It also has sulfur and amino acids which are vital to hair.
Eating chocolate relieves stress, stress can make hair shed.

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
I eat nutella on wheat bread. Nutella has whey protein so maybe the chocolate there will help my hair grow.

Shiranshoku
June 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
I eat nutella on wheat bread. Nutella has whey protein so maybe the chocolate there will help my hair grow.

It does? Finally, an excuse for when I go on a Nutella binge again. Omnomnom!!!

*sneaks into the kitchen, spoon in hand*

catamonica
June 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I always ate good. But my hair wouldn't grow until I was older. The only thing that helped was
Mane & Tail shampoo, & wearing it in a braided bun. Now it's at hip. Eggs are good protein. And
good fruit. Biotin might help you. It didn't do anything for me. Diet is important, but hair will grow or it won't. I wish I would have known about horse shampoo & wearing it up, when I was younger. It might have gotten a lot longer by now. I had waist length hair at age 54 in 2010. I
hope whatever you do, it works for you.

Debra83
June 23rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
I really hope it doesn't because it gives me terrible spots if I eat it too often. Just think what I'd be missing out on!

That is very sad. Big hug. :(

Well, it couldn't hurt right? I mean chocolate doesn't slow up your hair growth or make hair fall out so that means it MUST be okay for hair growth right?

er....ok....I mean, Yes, of COURSE!!! How silly of me....I knew that!!!

You do know that cocoa powder has 3 times the antioxidants of green tea right?
Antioxidents are important in cell production.
It also has sulfur and amino acids which are vital to hair.
Eating chocolate relieves stress, stress can make hair shed.

Serious?? Noooooo, I didn't know that at all. Really?!!! You are not just pulling my leg to feed my chocolate passion?

I did think Nutella was good for you, but I'm not able to have it in the house as someone here has a very serious nut allergy.

It does? Finally, an excuse for when I go on a Nutella binge again. Omnomnom!!!

*sneaks into the kitchen, spoon in hand*

WaHHHHH!!! I want a spoon too!!! But, I hope you enjoy your feast!!! :cheese:

I always ate good. But my hair wouldn't grow until I was older. The only thing that helped was
Mane & Tail shampoo, & wearing it in a braided bun. Now it's at hip. Eggs are good protein. And
good fruit. Biotin might help you. It didn't do anything for me. Diet is important, but hair will grow or it won't. I wish I would have known about horse shampoo & wearing it up, when I was younger. It might have gotten a lot longer by now. I had waist length hair at age 54 in 2010. I
hope whatever you do, it works for you.

Thank you. I really hope it can include chocolate!!!:D

koala
June 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'm being practically force fed avocado, my boyfriends dad (who we live with) looked up what it was good for.... turns out almost everything and I made the mistake of saying I love avocado. Now I eat it almost everyday.... If it's good for everything it must to a superfood for hair too right...? :)

Oh I would love to be fed avocado all the time. Back at school I would get serious cravings if I didn't have it for a couple days.
It certainly hasn't harmed my hair growth.