PDA

View Full Version : Should I just cut off ALL my hair to get rid of frizz?

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
For the longest time my hair has been soooo frizzy. No matter what products i try, different washing methods, wearing it different, nothing makes the frizz any better. I guess its always been that way, but i must not of noticed it until i really got into taking care of my hair. Im wondering if i should just cut it ALL off (its falling out some anyways), and start fresh? Maybe if i start fresh, and care for it like i do now, it will be better? Or can frizz just be a genetic thing you get? Im thinking it might be because my moms hair is HORRIBLY frizzy always, and always has been. I cringe every time i look at all these frizzy broken hairs/or new growth, but if it was new growth it should be freakin grown by now! LOL.

Im just sick of it, NOTHING helps it at all, its always that way, and it just looks so shitty to me. Im seriously considering SHAVING it and starting brand new. Maybe if i totally pamper it from the beginning, it wont get frizzy? How do you guys deal with extreme frizz? Is cutting the answer? Its really bothering me!

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Btw, its all the way on top of my head at my crown allll the way down to the ends. It must be broken hairs, and they just stay frizzed up. But i do EVERYTHING right, im so careful always. Its not worth the effort anymore if its gonna look crappy. I just dont know, its not worth having so long if it looks bad. Man, i wish i was asian, they have such beautiful, straight, not frizzy hair! I hate my hair right now, i dont think there is a product or method to fixing this mess.

Xandergrammy
July 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Oh, sweetie, cutting it all off won't get rid of it. There are different ways to try to control it, but some hair is just frizz-prone and uncontrollable. Trust me, I know. My hair always has wild hairs sticking out and when it's humid, forget it. Go have a look at my pictures. I've learned to embrace my crazy halo. Maybe you can too? :flowers:

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 06:46 PM
I was CO'ing, now im CWC. I use a wood, wide toothed comb, VERY RARELY my bbb. The only things that go in my hair is my scrunchie, and sometimes a metal-less hair band. I sleep with a silk cap. I heavily condition. I oil my hair sometimes/mist it with my oil/water mix. Every time i comb i break hair no matter how careful i am. But the worst frizz is from my crown to right below my ears. Its just horrible. I really am feeling like giving up, espceially cuz of my hairloss. I dont know. Theres got to be some magic product out there right? Some expensive thing only rich people use? LOL I wish i could find something. I've tried Frizz Eaze Hair syrum, sunsilk anti-frizz, everything, all kinds of deep conditioners, acv rinses, everything. I just almost would rather wear a wig, then my hair will always be perfect LOL, i might have to anyways if i keep loosing hair. I just wish there was some way to make all these damn hairs lie flat and not be so horrid.

Curlsgirl
July 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Awwwwwwwww I am so sorry you are hating your hair right now. BUT if it has always been frizzy then shaving your head or even cutting it won't make it better. Could it possibly be that since you have come here you have gotten a bit too critical of your hair? Most of the pictures here are of hair that is at it's best of course and many of us have hair envy frequently! It's the old "I want what I can't have" thingie! Your avi looks gorgeous to me, honestly! If you cut will it really make it better or worse??? If you are doing all you can then please just try to accept it. I am sure many people would LOVE to have hair like you. As for the falling out part, are you dieting or could it be a physical reason? If so, you may want to see a doctor. Is it noticeably thinner or could it just be the time of year? I hope you find the answer and peace for yourself :hugs:

AutumnLeaves
July 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Honestly, frizzy hair is genetic I think. I have it and my mom's is way worse. For me it has been a long road of learning to love it as it is. I agree that your avatar pic looks lovely and frizz free. Please don't cut it; it just grows back the same way...that is unless your hair is dye or iron damaged. It doesn't look it in the avatar. Just keep working with it and being gentle to it and I think you will ultimately learn to love it as it is. It has taken me 49 years to get to this point!

Curlsgirl
July 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Honestly, frizzy hair is genetic I think. I have it and my mom's is way worse. For me it has been a long road of learning to love it as it is. I agree that your avatar pic looks lovely and frizz free. Please don't cut it; it just grows back the same way...that is unless your hair is dye or iron damaged. It doesn't look it in the avatar. Just keep working with it and being gentle to it and I think you will ultimately learn to love it as it is. It has taken me 49 years to get to this point!

HA! I can relate to that!

Pegasus Marsters
July 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe you could just try and smooth it down with a little aloe vera gel?

But no... cutting it off won't solve anything. Believe me, I know :lol:

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Nope, no hair color, or blow fryers of any kind. I have the polycisitc ovarian syndrom, that and stress is why its falling out. But yeah i think i got the frizz from mom. THANKS MOM. loll. But i guess it could be worse. Its hard NOT to have hair envy on here!!! You women have some WONDERFUL hair!!!!! And if i shaved my head i know i'd freak out and regret it right away. Maybe i need to try some new tecniques/products. I need to do something different, plus move out of Missouri. That humidity will do a real number on your hair too. I miss the nice DRY california heat LOL.

spidermom
July 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I have the same problem, and I think that my face-framing layers help to blend the shorter hairs into looking like a style. I can twirl those shorter pieces around lightly gelled fingers and they curl and wave and soften my appearance. I've also discovered that using a blow-dryer on warm pointed down the hair shaft from above helps to smooth those wild shorter hairs out and make them lie down. I add a little coconut oil as I work, and I only arrange my hair over a paddle brush, I don't yank and stretch with it. I only work at drying the 2/3 of my hair from scalp to ends because the ends dry really quickly without the dryer ever particularly being directed at them.

I finish on the coolest and lowest setting. Then I style. Last, I rub some gel between wet palms and stroke it over the surface of my hair to hold the sproingers down. If something sproings up anyway, I stroke a little - very little - wax or pomade over it.

Examples:
With hair down:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg
Hair-back, no face framing layers ~~~~~With face framing layers
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/ugly1.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/faceframinglayers.jpg

I hope that gives you some ideas.

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I've never used aloe vera gel. I'll have to try that. The only kind i have though is some blue stuff. is there a certain kind to get? Do you just put it on when your hair is damp? or after its dry? thats something for me to investigate.

spidermom
July 31st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Use the aloe vera gel sold in the same area as lotions. It should have no alcohol and no lidocaine. It's not a magic bullet, though. A lot of times I use a non-alcohol styling gel - like Giovanni; this works somewhat better I think. Pomades are great, too, and it takes the barest minimum of a dab to smooth hairs down.

missy60
July 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Do you use cones? They usually help alot with frizz I always have to use them when I blow dry my hair. I guess its going against my natural hair type because when my hair is straight as soon as I hits the humidity it frizzes up. I use Paul Mitchell's gloss drops on my hair when its wet and that helps my hair alot to stay smooth without frizzing. It actually rinses clean with water unlike Frizz Eaze. When I wear my hair curly I use a leave in and gel that helps alot. I dont think cutting will help at all I think its just your hair type. I have had frizz all my life no matter what I have done to my hair.

ReadingRenee
July 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
don't make any rash decisions with this hot and humid weather we are experiencing. My hair is going crazy due to the humidity too. and I always have a halo. I agree with what curlsgirl said. comparing your hair to others on this board can lead you down a long sad path with the scissors. (speaking from experience here)

akurah
July 31st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Duuuude... hair is frizzy. And we are all our own worst critics. If you can't accept frizz you'll hate your hair at any length short of being outright shaved.

And I've seen frizzy haired Asians, too. :twocents:

Rini
July 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Don't cut!! Your hair is lovely :inlove:

Personally, my hair is frizzy ALL the time (even when it's straightened) and I've just accepted it. I've had hairdressers tell me all my life that it was "damaged", but now I know it is just the natural texture of my hair. I agree with trying not to compare your hair with others who seem to have the shiny, sleek thing going on. I'm sure all the pampering in the world won't change your texture (which is healthy as it is).

I hope you're feeling more positive soon :)

yogachic
July 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
I don't believe shaving it will make it grow back any smoother. It could grow out nicely then do the same thing all over again. I hope you find a solution to the frizzyness, I have the same problem.

iluvmy67cuda
July 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah im a total cone addict, i have probably 15 different cone conditioners in my bathroom. Well, im not giving up yet, im going to try the aloe vera gel, and will work with trying other things too. It just gets so frustrating sometimes.

FrannyG
July 31st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Don't cut!!!!! Soon it will not be so humid, so at least that part of the problem will have been solved.

You've gotten a lot of really good advice here.

Don't cut!!!!! It will all be okay. :flowers:

bex487
July 31st, 2008, 09:07 PM
At least honor the two-week rule (think about a cut for this long) before you do anything! It's summer, and everyone's hair is frizzy. Try cute updos if it bothers you-I love two french braids for hiding frizzies.

Darkhorse1
July 31st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Try Pantene's smoothing conditioner. Worked amazing for me. :) Cutting it won't help. Your hair will just grow back and pouff out. The best thing for a bad hair day? A pretty accessory! :D

Shell
July 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Embrace the frizz. If you cut it, instead of having long and frizzy hair, you'll have short and frizzy hair.

I agree with Darkhorse1, I think a new hair toy is in order.

WavyGirl
August 1st, 2008, 02:34 AM
I Every time i comb i break hair no matter how careful i am. But the worst frizz is from my crown to right below my ears.

There could be many different reasons. New growth - certainly. At that length it just doesn't have enough weight to lay flat if you have any wave or curl at all. Breakage - probably if you hear snapping. How do you normally style your hair? I had terrible breakage from making my buns too tight in the same area you're describing.

Also, have you tried using butters? I didn't see any mention of them in your list. My hair just doesn't like oils. They build up like cones and stop the moisture getting in. Butters work really well instead. Personally I like shea, but everyone's different. If you can't comb without snapping your routine's still not quite there. Have you tried clarifying before doing a moisture treatment? Do your usual products contain protein?

Do you get impatient while combing? Are you in a hurry? Is it just stubborn tangles? I always have my scissors on hand so I can snip any splits that are causing tangles.

Another thing that works well for me is damp bunning. A bit of aloe gel on the wispies that don't reach the bun and it's done.

Don't cut please. Your hair looks beautiful to me. Take a bit of time to resolve the frizz & breakage issues first. If you really must then spidermom's suggestion of face framing layers is probably a good first step.

iluvmy67cuda
August 1st, 2008, 03:20 AM
No i havent tried butters. when i get the money im going to get some shea butter, i hear thats good. No, really, i try to be very patient when im combing my hair, im SO delicate with it, thats why i dont get why its like this. The only think i use is a scrunchie. I wear it in a loose bun all day, and at night i roll it like a bun,but dont put anything on it to hold it, and i leave it loose in my silk cap. I literally dont use anything other than my scrunchie, ocassionally a metal free hair band, and rarely i'll wear a cotton bandanna (my silk ones just WILL NOT stay on my head!!). I think its genetic, moms hair is horrible, she wont take my advice, i try to get her to S&D, instead every month she wants me to cut all her hair off LOL. But i really do everything i can to be gentle to my hair. Im going to try butters, and make some silk scrunchies, instead of my cotton one i use, maybe that might help.

How can i get my silk bandanna's to stay on? They always want to slide off my head when im moving around, they just wont stay on. I'd rather wear them than my cotton ones, but i need one that will stay on good and stay put.

Gilly
August 1st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Have you clarified at all?

I noticed that a lot of the products you mentioned have cones in them, I know when I was using them, my hair would look awful, all sticking out and not behaving but once I started to clarify on a regular basis, it really helped keep it under control.
May be worth a try!

morgwn
August 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM
I definitely do agree that going short won't take away the frizz! Aloe gel (mixed with a bit of water in a spray bottle) has done wonders for my frizz. And I also do a LOT of updos, which help me forget about my frizz. I do second the 'don't cut!' suggestion, as your hair DOES look gorgeous to me. :grouphug: Give your hair some time to get out of the heated summer season.

MoonCreature
August 1st, 2008, 04:15 AM
Everyone has shorter hairs mixed with the long, some are just better att hiding them when taking pics :p I have tonns of short new hairs, but they get pulled down by the long ones most of the time (and going CO helped a lot too), but in the end of the day they start popping out of my updo. Hmmm... I think I must take a picture of my hair when I've run my hands against the hair while in an updo, it looks crazy!

Please don't cut, you'll just regret it. And in time you'll find ways to hide the frizz!

Scrofula
August 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
If cones are part of your regime then this is expensive but awesome

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kerastase_Nutritive_Masque_Oleo_Relax_150ml__65741 41

It saved my hair when I was at brillo pad texture having highlighted to death, they do a cyclopants based serum too as part of the same range and it's also top banana.

I would also echo previous posters and say that frizz is probably a trait of your hair and shaving it off won't help.

georgia_peach
August 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Sorry to step in on this thread, but I was looking at your "Relinquished Red" info Rini. I am at shoulder with henna but want to go back to something closer to my own color. Did you dye back to blonde on your own or go to a salon? I want to proceed with caution, as my hair is in good shape right now. thanks in advance for your help!

georgia_peach
August 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Aaack! Sorry, I seem like a rude Oaf! Was trying to slip my above post in as a quick reply to Rini, but it didn't work. So sorry!

I don't have the same hair type as you, but I think most of us know what it's like to have days (weeks, years???) when we really aren't happy with our hair. Please hang in there and don't do anything rash or quickly. I've done that plenty and always regret it. There's lots of great support and info here. Good luck!

Tap Dancer
August 1st, 2008, 04:49 AM
If it's always been frizzy and you shave it off, it'll be frizzy again when it grows back. Maybe it's your hair type? We all have frizz to some extent. I've found that washing my hair in the evening (so that it's dry just before bedtime) and then sleeping on it makes mine smoother.

Poetic
August 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
You may want to try Cholesterol Cream for hair (Lustrasilk or Queen Helenes, I prefer Lustrasilk). Such produccts are found in the section for women of color. The product is usually no more than $3.00. It comes in a huge tub. You want to load it onto the hair; my hair takes more than half the tub; leave it for several hours under a plastic cap; then rinse. Hair should feel extremely soft afterwards. I find it best if you put the product on dry hair. When it is time to rinse, massage as one would shampoo.

Altocumulus
August 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Oh, sweetie, cutting it all off won't get rid of it. There are different ways to try to control it, but some hair is just frizz-prone and uncontrollable. Trust me, I know. My hair always has wild hairs sticking out and when it's humid, forget it. Go have a look at my pictures. I've learned to embrace my crazy halo. Maybe you can too? :flowers:

What Xandergrammy said!

Please don't do anything drastic. It sounds like maybe this isn't really about your hair? I also have a chronic illness as well as a genetic time bomb waiting to strike, and I know how it shook me up on a really basic level to learn that I'm not healthy, and I'll never be healthy again. Maybe you are frustrated about your body and taking it out on your hair? Just a suggestion...I would hate to see you do something to your hair that you don't really want to do.

{{{{}}}}

mellie
August 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
I think your hair looks really pretty!

It's just summer humidity, don't worry! :-)

Little_Bird
August 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hello there :)

I have a lot of frizz too, and I started having it after the first year of growing my hair. First I tought it was the brush thing (it was making it worse), but then I quit brushing and I still have them. They are new growth or just hair that are shorter... I have wavy hair but combing makes it look much straighter. But, the shorter hairs do not get much flatter so they still frizz.

I have learnt to accept my hair like this, it doesn't bother me. Of course you can add products to help it. Sometimes I put a little water in my hands and gently slide them on the top of my head. This helps with the frizz but not for too long. The best is just to accept it.
It might have to do with the climate to. My hair hates humidity. That's when it frizzes the most.

I wish you the best luck, just don't cut all your hair off, it's very pretty. If the frizzyness comes from breakage, just do a little S&D now and then and trim from time to time, and you will be fine :flower:

bunnii
August 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Most of the pictures here are of hair that is at it's best of course and many of us have hair envy frequently! It's the old "I want what I can't have" thingie!

My sig pic i my hair after brushing and placing it very carefully then taking about 10 pictures and then finding ONE that I was happy with :lol: I also have alot of frizz and the only thing that helps is olive oil but even then i'm never happy with it, I guess i'm too critical of my hair, after seeing such great hair here and then I look at my sig and wonder why it doesn't look like that then i remember how long it took to get that pic, and i'm going in circles here lol i've also got alot of new growth maybe you have some of that too? hope you feel better about your hair soon (your avatar really is pretty BTW) :flowers:

freznow
August 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Duuuude... hair is frizzy. And we are all our own worst critics. If you can't accept frizz you'll hate your hair at any length short of being outright shaved.

And I've seen frizzy haired Asians, too. :twocents:

My hair is frizzy even when wet! So I have to agree, you've gotta be one lucky head to be frizz free.

paper
August 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
I started a thread like this few days ago. It must be the weather! I just wanted to say your not alone.

I think your hair looks beautiful in your avatar. I hope you don't cut it! Good luck finding something that works for you. :flowers:

lapushka
August 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
I recently underwent a trim of about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and while I don't regret it, I really wouldn't have wanted more trimmed off.

Maybe do a slight trim? I bet you'd feel better. I wouldn't recommend chopping it all of or a large amount, just have a small trim, then see how you feel! If you still feel unhappy, then do another short trim and maybe set a goal that you won't cut more off than 5 inches or something like that.

Otherwise stick to it, it's the damn weather!

SHELIAANN1969
August 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM
I am a frizz head too, no matter if it's super boy short or as long as it is now, I fight the fuzz and the fuzz wins every time.

I just learned to love the frizz!! It's a part of me and always will be.

:)

missy60
August 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
When I have had shorter hair the frizz always looked worse it would all just stick out and wouldnt stay in a style. I got poofy triangle hair that looked like a rats nest, at least with it longer the poof isnt as bad, longer hair sort of weighs that down some.

jojo
August 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
like spidermom said aloe vera gel saved my frizz!

LuXious
August 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
I don't know how extreme your frizz is, but cutting is pretty extreme. If you cut, you're going to have to wait to grow it back out. I say you do your waiting while keeping your hair. Experiment with treatments. Try the caramel one. Organic coconut oil, used consistently over about two months time has done an honest miracle on my hair. I had a high, thin fro around my crown back in May. My hair has become quite silky since, even after all the roughing-up it's been through with my henna-removal process. Please just be patient and consistent. Even if nothing works, your hair will have been growing out during all the time you were experimenting with kindness to it.

Merkaba
August 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
I was having issues with frizz recently and found that clarifying w/ sulfate shampoo and a ACV rinse worked wonders. I feel like my hair was being loaded down with too much stuff (i think its cause there are parabens in my Trader joes shampoo)...

Other than that, I have cut down on products with proteins, and that has seemed to show great improvement. Maybe your hair could benefit from LESS of good things?

girlcat36
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have extreme frizz. I will never learn to love it. But I won't cut it because long frizzy hair is better than short frizzy hair.
Try a dollop of aloe gel mixed with a drop of glycerin, and a drop of any oil, and apply to wet hair. Also sleeping on a silk(real silk) helps frizzies somewhat.

trolleypup
August 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Cutting it won't help with frizz, esp. since you say it is everywhere. *looks at own hair*...I suppose, if I was being critical, I have frizz too, but honestly, it looks good in general, as yours does.

Also, is your hair snapping when you detangle/brush/comb? Or is it just shedding? I know, when I am preening, I gets sheds of all lengths, from babies to full length...very rare that I actually snap a hair...I also start with finger detangling from the bottom up, so by the time the comb comes out, all it is doing is smoothing things.

wintersun99
August 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM
If I missed this suggestion, sorry, but have you tried applying a "tiny" bit of coconut oil to towel dried hair as a leave in? This works wonders for my mum, who has 2a frizzy hair.

spidermom
August 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Start paying attention when you are watching movies and TV. Whenever a character is back-lit, you will see frizz and plenty of it, unless the hair is very short, or it's a wig. Even characters who have every hair in place with probably more than an ounce of product will reveal frizz when back-lit. Truly.

Kirin
August 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
If your avatar is you, your hair doesn't look "frizzy" to me. You state "broken hairs"...... i think the sticking up hairs aren't frizz, but "fly away" hair, which requires different things to tame them.

Products for sleeking and smoothing might help.

Don't cut, no matter what the problem, its not likely to solve it and you'll be not happy when it grows back the same :(