PDA

View Full Version : Neem oil or neem leaves?

meteor
June 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I am a big fan of neem oil (yes, I can handle that smell without fainting :o), and recently I saw neem leaves sold at an Indian shop. I wonder if any of you guys tried both and could share your experience with them. Are there any differences in how the two products condition scalp & hair? Or are the differences purely in application method?

On a more general note, when you use natural products, how do you decide whether to use:
- a plant or its oil;
- a herb-infused oil or essential oil in carrier oil?

Thank you! :flower:

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I too am in looove with neem oil.... never tried the leaves. I like to put a bunch of drops in my cococuut, olive ,or grape seed oils for my hair and slater my scalp in it. I also rub a few drops in my head after I wash my hair. Is it weird I secretly like the smell??

I think the oil is just easier to use with mostly the same benefits. The leaves are usually boiled and made into a paste.

like this....(just found this online)
To get rid of Head Lice, boil and grind Neem leaves to make a paste and apply it on the scalp. Wash hair after 30 minutes. This treatment will control hair fall, will prevent premature greying and will also boost hair growth.

ratgirldjh
June 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Wow! I have 100% un-refined neem oil and to me it kind of smells like peanut butter but in a more nauseating way. LOL I can't imagine using it on my hair but I have used it on my dog and cats and the smell goes away super quickly.

I do think however I have gotten more used to the smell lately because it doesn't seem to bother me now. I love it for cuts and things maybe I'll get up nerve enough to put some on the ends of my hair :shrug:

I've seen posters say that they used the neem powder in their indian herb mixes. I've never tried it but have often seen the powder.

I've also heard you can brush your teeth with the powdered leaves but I wouldn't try it with Hesh brand because it might not be pure enough for that purpose.

meteor
June 18th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you!
Gonzobird, I think you are right that the difference is probably just in application (and I also heard, less smell with leaves than oil), but I just wanted to confirm it. I'd like to try the leaves but if the effect is the same, I will stick to my neem oil.

I love it for cuts and things maybe I'll get up nerve enough to put some on the ends of my hair :shrug:
I really recommend putting it in the scalp instead of ends of hair. Check out the great anti-fungal, anti-dandruff, growth-promoting qualities of neem:
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-hair.html

prettykitty
June 19th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I saw a little bottle of Neem oil at the health food shop, and was thinking of grabbing it to add some to my scalp oil blend, but the bottle was very dusty and it looked like it had been there awhile :/ It had no use by dates on it or anything, but fresher has to be better, right? I have some Neem powder at home (just the Hesh stuff) could I somehow infuse that, I wonder?

prettykitty
June 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Picked up a bottle of neem seed oil today (it looked much fresher than what I'd seen previously, and had use-by dates so I felt ok about it) and added it to my scalp blend, which is castor, Rosemary EO, Peppermint EO, and a little Dabur Amla Gold. First thought- it stinks! But I forged ahead, I'll get accustomed the smell. Fifteen minutes later I am in love, it feels so amazingly cool on my scalp! I feel really relaxed, ahhh. :)