PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Hair and Temporary Dye

l'inconnue
June 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Greetings All!

My current hair has never been dyed in any way. In the past, I've only had a few professional highlights and a brief but intense affair with Manic Panic. :)

My question: If I use some type of temporary/semi-permanent dye, or even something natural like Cassia, would my hair no longer be considered virgin? And can the temp dyes cause any sort of damage? My hair is still recovering from some heat damage, but it's otherwise pretty sturdy for fine, blondette strands.

In case it's important, I just wanted to give the hair a little "boost" of blonde to pick up my highlights, or else play around with some fun red shades.

As always, your advice and input is greatly appreciated!

ariesfairies
June 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I guess if you're adjusting the color in any way, it's not virgin :P
I hope this is an acceptable analogy, but with types of olive oil for example, non-virgin or just regular olive oil is chemically treated to get to its state, whereas virgin olive oil is generally untreated and left in its natural state.
Even after the temporary dye, even the faintest residue will remain. If you're keen on trying new things though, don't be afraid of the virgin hair title (my 2cents :P)

Vanille_
June 18th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I love Manic Panic. My favorite color is Vampire Red. It does not cause damage.

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I think it will still be virgin.

Virgin hair, I thought, comes from the idea that conventional dyes damage hair (lifting the cuticle to remove pigment) and perms and the like totally restructure hair which changes the way that hair interacts with further chemical processes or conditioning treatments. Perhaps even severe heat damage can fall under this category

I can't imagine a deposit-only dye fulfilling those characteristics, so I think hair dyed with manic panic for example would still be virgin.

Jing
June 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM
No idea about the virginity, but beware that while most temporary dyes will not cause damage, they can cause increased shedding. I shed like mad for months whenever I dye my hair. It depends on your scalp and the dye in question.

UpNorth
June 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
If a person with virgin hair experience lightning because of honey (say someone forgot to heat it before and did a long smt-treatment) Is it still considered virgin?

fridgee
June 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM
In case it's important, I just wanted to give the hair a little "boost" of blonde to pick up my highlights, or else play around with some fun red shades.

Just though I'd mention if your planning to lighten (go more blonde) it will not be temporary it will be permanent, in which case it won't be virgin anymore. I think it's probably still virgin if you use something that washes totally out so you can't know you'd ever done anything to it, although don't let a label determine what you do with your hair, do what you want!

l'inconnue
June 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Those jars of Manic Panic are starting to look tempting again. . .

jojo
June 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Id say if your just using cassia which washes out after a few washes it would still be considered virgin IMHO