PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic over cassia&henna?

AspenSong
June 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I'm just curious - I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do this at all, but I'm wondering if it's okay to put Manic Panic, deposit dyes, etc over henna and cassia? I do a 70% Cassia - 30% Henna treatment on my hair every few months. Leave it on for 3-6 hours. It really hasn't changed the color, I do have a very slight reddish tint to my hair in certain light, but that's it.
I ask about the Manic Panic because I haven't dyed or changed the color of my hair in 4 years now. Now, I don't have any desire to go blonde again or anything and despite the envy I get over the beautiful color of all the henna heads here, I know I don't want to go full out red or big change color. I don't mind my natural color, but lately I feel like I want a change...some oomph, SOMETHING.
I've done bangs and I'm not re-cutting mine now that they're finally grown out past collarbone length. So that's not going to work. My next thought was maybe doing a dip dye on my ends with some Manic Panic. It'd be something I could show off, or totally hide. I'm just wondering if that dye would go on okay over the cassia/henna mix? And I know my ends are more porous I'm sure just because they've been there on my head the longest....so I'm wondering if I put a color on it, if it's going to stick around too long or never totally wash away?
Any help, advice or experience with this would be great! Thank you!

Amethyste
June 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, i do it all the time :) will be puuuuuuurdy :) I use Vampire Red over Raj Henna. I apply the MP and spend 1 hour under the hard hat dryer so the color really goes in. In all honesty, the MP really does color my hair, it fades yes, but the color stays in the shaft amazingly. I think it is because I use heat on it, I do my roots ever 2 weeks. On some people it fades in an instant and others like it, it stays in for good... can you try a bottom layer and see how it goes? I've notice for me, when I henna, the MP sort of lifts and fades for the henna to go into the shaft... I end up with a very vibrant dark,orangy red... it's really cool in my opinion :)

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM
If I can use chemical dyes over mine then yes for sure you could use a dye like manic panic :)
I have been considering doing this too with red over my henna head

AspenSong
June 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I thought about doing just a bit of my ends on the underlayer of my hair (not that it's much of an "underlayer" since my hair is so fine and thin, lol) and see how it goes.
It's funny, I'm half terrified of doing it because I haven't touched it like this in so long now! I used to be such a hair dye nut and now I'm scared...lol
I was considering the deepest red or purple they have, since my hair is fairly dark. I felt like if I didn't leave it on too long, it might add some color, without it being too UBER vibrant to start off with.
I'm partly scared of it not fading off in time to where it's not a big deal. I'm still trying to get to classic length (another 6 inches!) and the more I can prolong any bigger trims, the better! So I don't want to end up with like 4 inches of purple or reddish hair that looks weird because it didn't quite fade!

BTW - Would anyone mind checking out my hair in my albums and giving an opinion on as far as my general coloring, which out of a darker purple or dark red would look better with my hair and skin tone? Thank you! I just know hubby and such isn't going to be much help. lol

AspenSong
June 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Shamelessly bumping....

Hoping someone can tell me how the Manic Panic faded on darker, virgin hair!