PDA

View Full Version : Mommy Hairdo

Tehillim408
June 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I am about to become a mother for the first time in a matter of weeks...or even days depending on when my sweet bun in the oven decides to come out ;)

My question is - what is an easy and quick way to put my BSL hair up so that it's out of the way for breastfeeding/changing baby/etc.? I'm relatively new to the LHC and have yet to master any updos :(

I would especially appreciate advice from moms with newborns!

LaFlor
June 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Buns, braids, and a plain pony will all work. I have always been a fan of twisting hair into a french twist :) My hair didn't seem to become and issue until the baby got into the grabbing stage.

Congratulations on your soon coming baby! The first few weeks I'm sure your hair will be the last thing on your mind :)

Beckstar
June 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Plain and simple high buns will be your best friends. You can dress it up with sparkly hair clips and barretts or just let it's simple beauty speak for itself. Congratulations.

1nuitblanche
June 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
What an exciting time you're at! I wish you all the best!

A cinnibun with 2 "claw" clips or a hair-friendly ponytail holder is pretty quick. A topknot might serve you well too. I personally love braids - one or two - since they lay fairly flat (I often have my head against a pillow or the back of a chair when nursing).

Tehillim408
June 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Plain and simple high buns will be your best friends. You can dress it up with sparkly hair clips and barretts or just let it's simple beauty speak for itself. Congratulations.

Good idea. That's usually how I have my hair up at home anyways. It just wouldn't look nice enough to wear out, but then again, I'll probably be home 24/7 during the first few months of my baby's birth :)

kpzra
June 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I had braids usually since I always wore my hair in a bun at work (airport). I found them more comfortable for when I'd nod off unexpectedly. When I was nursing and my daughter got older and grabbier I'd throw in up in a quick bun. I got a bug up my butt one day thought and chopped off my hair back to chin length. :( That had more to do with depression though.

Kristen121
June 18th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I do lot of buns and braids. I have a 6 month old and she loves to pull my hair if it's down. I love my Ficcare Maximas clip for putting my hair up quickly without having to bother with pins.

SpinDance
June 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I always used braids to keep my hair out of grabby little hands, but that was before I knew how to make a bun, back when I thought wearing my hair up could give me neck aches. Turns out it was migraines, so now I wear buns nearly all the time.

GlennaGirl
June 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just scrunchie bunned all the time (messy bun). My hair was about BSL at the time.

Congratulations!

torrilin
June 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
My nephew is 3, and both me and his other auntie have long hair. When he was a baby, I was BSL and his other aunt was in the waist to hip range. The usual stuffed in a bun tricks worked fine for us both when he was a tiny baby. He very occasionally grabs for support and accidentally gets hair, but he is not trying to hurt you if he does. Ow and a reminder to be gentle go a long way.

Our niece is 3 months old, and their mum now has APLish hair. She mostly braids it. Mine is now more waistish, and my usual braid or bun has been fine. Other auntie has cut her hair back to APLish and is embracing her 3a curls, so she's been wearing lots of ponytails with huge puff from the curl.

Most babies handle it fine, and they learn not to pull hair the same way they learn not to chomp mom's breasts.

Vanille_
June 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I love the Dutch braid. With practice, it will take 2 or less minutes to do and will last through the day.

Tehillim408
June 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I love the Dutch braid. With practice, it will take 2 or less minutes to do and will last through the day.

I've never attempted a Dutch braid before, but I'm up for the challenge!

henné
June 19th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I just put my hair in a pony or a messy bun. It never got in my way and my hair was almost waist-length at the time my daughter was born. Now I french braid it and then fold the braid and clip it to the back of my head. I also either braid or rope-braid my long bangs so that they keep out of my face all day long.

clarinette
June 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Ohh! a brand new baby!! oh I have a hair-baby related warning! true story, 10 years ago, I was undressing my son to give him a bath, and looking at his toes I found that one of them looked swollen . Looking closer : one strand of my (then blonde)hair was tied into a tourniquet at the base of the toe!! poor baby couldn't complain (2 months old) and his toe was purple :( watch out new mothers !!

Tigermama
June 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wow! What a special and exciting time for you. When I had mine, I ignored my hair and regretted it later, so kudos to you for doing some preplanning. I found hair sticks to be dangerous with a baby, because you really have to watch the point when placing the baby up on your shoulder. Definitely agree with the small claw clips for anchoring buns into place here and there, being careful to not leave them laying around when the baby tries putting things into his or her mouth. I am really predictable. Every day I wear either a crown twist, french braid tucked under, or french braid into a bun. Clarinette, thanks for reminder about the stray hairs!

Dovetail
June 19th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say Congratulations!

carolinaberry
June 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
When my youngest was born 7 years ago, I usually kept my hair in a jaw-clip flippy up thing but most often I put my hair in 2 braids. When it was down it was still easy though, I just pushed it behind me to feed. When they get a few months on them, they do start winding their tiny fists in your hair, though.

jacqueline101
June 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm a bun fan make it high on the head cover with a snood cover.

Tehillim408
June 20th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I just wanted to say Congratulations!

Thank you!!