PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting my hair into tip top shape?

Rufflebutt
June 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM
So until a month ago, I used heat styling on my hair almost daily. My hair is at the small of my back currently. My goal is classic. I've slowed down considerably on heat styling. And for the amount of heat I used combined with the frequency, it's actually in pretty good condition. It does have signs of damage, but it's not anywhere close to fried and gross. Then again, I envy the ends of some of you guys.

Lately I've been putting my hair up with hair sticks. For the past few years I've limited my shampooing to around my scalp, and it's helped a lot.

But my main issue is my layers. I have extreme layers. The shortest layer is at BSL, the longest at the small of my back. Consequently, my hair is a lot thinner at the ends instead of thick and lovely like you guys. When I put my hair up it's impossible to get a neat bun, so I always settle for messy. When I braid my hair, tons of it sticks out.

Do you have any advice for how I can grow out my layers quicker? I've been getting a half an inch trim every couple of months to trim away the damage and hopefully get my hair a teeny tiny miniscule amount closer to being all even again.

Do you guys have any other advice?

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you're doing lots right already. I have ' point cut' layers I'm growing out....no heat, oil, baby trims and time. I wear my hair down every day...wash it every 4 days, don't comb or brush it. ( I have fine hair and brushes and combs do more damage than good for me. I just finger comb) I put oil on my end when they're wet to keep moist in. Biggest thing is I never use heat anymore. Ever. Months of that you will notice a big difference.
A big difference I've noticed in my hair is that I try not to wear necklaces anymore unless I put my hair up. They would snag my hair way more than I thought. I love necklaces.. big long ones... so I've been buying some that are made of cloth instead of chains. Love them. I hardly have white dots now. Very few. Between that and just finger combing.... my hair is getting pretty awesome. ;)

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Sounds like you're doing lots right already. I have ' point cut' layers I'm growing out....no heat, oil, baby trims and time. I wear my hair down every day...wash it every 4 days, don't comb or brush it. ( I have fine hair and brushes and combs do more damage than good for me. I just finger comb) I put oil on my end when they're wet to keep moist in. Biggest thing is I never use heat anymore. Ever. Months of that you will notice a big difference.
A big difference I've noticed in my hair is that I try not to wear necklaces anymore unless I put my hair up. They would snag my hair way more than I thought. I love necklaces.. big long ones... so I've been buying some that are made of cloth instead of chains. Love them. I hardly have white dots now. Very few. Between that and just finger combing.... my hair is getting pretty awesome. ;)

nobeltonya
June 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I find that using conditioner and leave-in with cones has significantly cut down on the tangling of my ends [I wear my hair down most of the time, and wash daily], along with nightly oiling. I mix pure coconut oil with various other kinds of oils, currently Dabur Vatika enriched almond. Of course, not everyone's hair likes cones.. just a suggestion. :rolling:

long&blonde
June 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM
No advice, but will be watching this thread.
Thanks for asking this question.
Let a stylist I trusted with super thick, super curly hair, nothing like my own fine, ii, 2c hair,
Remind me of his own curly mane of awesomeness at waist.
His "I just turned my head upside down and shook several times daily to freshen my curls". Sold Me on his giving me long layers. OMG. I've yet to turn my head upside down. It's bad enough right side up. Wee pieces forever blowing out into my nose,mouth,tea,food.
I can't believe I thought my hair was going to be a duplicate of this guy's;with hair nothing like mine. I thought I was "wise?" Ha!
Will be watching your thread and taking notes.

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Also... I'm an 'all natural freak' but I do hose my head down in bumble and bumble prep after its towel dried. It makes my hair a thousand times nicer than if i go only natural. :) only one cone in it that washes out easily and never weighs my hair down. Wonderful detangler too.

EndlessSunshine
June 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Eat healthy, lots of fruits and veggies! That will help your hair grow great from the inside out.

Madora
June 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Daily massage helps nourish the all important hair follicles. Be sure to detangle before and after massaging.

Try to avoid anything that might be harmful, including all kinds of heat appliances. Air dry your hair.

Be sure you use only hair friendly elastics and protect your ends by keeping them up, if possible. You might want to look into a silk or satin pillowcase.

A good diet and plenty of water help too.

Above all, have patience. Growing out layers is a royal pain...but when you've achieved your goal, then you can really begin to experiment with buns and braids..and not worry about ends sticking up here and there. Good luck!

Rufflebutt
June 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I find that using conditioner and leave-in with cones has significantly cut down on the tangling of my ends [I wear my hair down most of the time, and wash daily], along with nightly oiling. I mix pure coconut oil with various other kinds of oils, currently Dabur Vatika enriched almond. Of course, not everyone's hair likes cones.. just a suggestion. :rolling: I've heard wonders about coconut oil on here. Do you know where I can get some? Do they sell it at the store do you think? Or should I order some online?