PDA

View Full Version : Honey as a Shampoo?

DarkAlice
June 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I did an SMT and I was surprised to see my hair looked somewhat stripped of oils+moisture, could it be the honey? And if so can I use it as a mild shampoo?

pepperminttea
June 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Do you live in quite a dry low-humidity climate? Humectants draw moisture from the air in a humid environment, but if you're somewhere with low humidity they'll have the opposite effect and your hair can end up drier.

bumblebums
June 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Honey can cause lightening on hair, too, so be careful. Some people nuke it in the microwave before putting it in an SMT to avoid the bleaching effect.

ariesfairies
June 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sounds like it could do a bit of cleansing :) I don't know about honey, but I know propolis in the hive has some anti-bacterial qualities.

Wildcat Diva
June 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I have wondered about this also. I have been in love with doing SMT's lately. I have been making them with heavy on the honey and aloe and 2-3 times the conditioner instead of the recipe 4X. I always nuke the honey, let it sit there hot a few minutes, add aloe juice, then nuke again before I add the conditioner.

I think adding the SMT to dry hair helps it to clean your hair/ scalp of oil better, I read that on here somewhere, maybe the CO thread.

I kind of do the SMT as part of my wash, but I do throw a scalp shampoo with a shampoo bar in there as I am halfway rinsing out the SMT. Saturday night I had Coconut oil in there as a prewash oil, so I did another CO application after the SMT and scalp shampoo and finished with an ACV rinse which was heavy on the ACV.

But can we do this as a wash without the shampoo? I think we can. Let's try it?

gonzobird
June 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Honey is crazy drying on my hair. Makes it feel super rough and tangly