PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with hibiscus experience?

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I just got two massive bags of dried hibiscus flowers and wanted to use them as a rinse or treatment. The only two threads about hibiscus weren't very helpful, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what they do with it, what benefits it had and if they noticed any color changes while using it since it is VERY red. Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 12:22 AM
My henna comes with 9 herbs in it. It's still legit henna no metallics but anyway beside the point...
It says: "Hibiscus: Rejuvenates hair making it shiny and silky"
I am not sure what form to prepare it in, sorry, but I do like the stuff. My hair always benefits from the henna with it in it so it can't be bad. Did you search google for some hair care recipes with hibiscus? That is where I would start...

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I found one good article that says it MIGHT stain your hair for a couple of days (or washes), so that's a relief!
Apparently it's prepared just like any tea rinses :)
Thanks. I'm slow sometimes...

kpzra
June 18th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Could you post results if you do try it? I'm looking for new things to try since my hair is freaking out about being in the desert after moving from Alaska.

red-again
June 18th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Found the following on the henna sooq website

Use at least 3-4 tbsp of hibiccus petal powder to your henna recipe per 100 grams to boost red tones. Red teas, and
paprika also boost red tones.

. Our hair recipe: Use 6 tbsp of hibiscus petal powder, 2 tbsp honey, 3 tbsp aloe vera gel, 2 tbsp yoghurt, and just enough coconut milk to
thicken your ingredients. Mix your ingredients so that it is the consistency of a thick pancake batter (similar to a henna
recipe). Apply onto your hair, and leave on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse out thoroughly.

The site also has other info on hibiscus, I
Googled henna sooq hibiscus , hope it helps

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Could you post results if you do try it? I'm looking for new things to try since my hair is freaking out about being in the desert after moving from Alaska.

Ahah Nevada. I just moved away from there about a half hour away from Reno. Are you in the military?
Not trying to be a thread stealer or a creep here just caught my eye :) That would be funny if you lived in Fallon...I was really close to there.
My hair really never did well in NV sadly to say. The water was horrible there and my hair was constantly shedding and dry. I just did constant DTs and started using henna which helped wonders.

leilasahhar
June 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I bought some shampoo made in India that is made mostly of hibiscus..It makes my hair super soft and full of volume.

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM

For sure! I'll probably give it a go tomorrow since I wash everyday (I know, it's terrible). I'll post my results here.
This website gives you the directions I plan on following. :) I'm going to do the tea rinse one.

http://www.hibiscusteashop.com/how-to-make-a-hibiscus-tea-rinse-for-your-hair/

Guenever
June 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I tried it as a tea rinse.. unfortunately it didn't do much for me..

Btw - a warning: when applying/rinsing out make sure it doesn't come near any porous surfaces/surfaces with no finish! it stains like crazy!

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I bought some shampoo made in India that is made mostly of hibiscus..It makes my hair super soft and full of volume.

Volume is just what I need! Thanks. I'm excited to try it.

kpzra
June 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Ahah Nevada. I just moved away from there about a half hour away from Reno. Are you in the military?
Not trying to be a thread stealer or a creep here just caught my eye :) That would be funny if you lived in Fallon...I was really close to there.
My hair really never did well in NV sadly to say. The water was horrible there and my hair was constantly shedding and dry. I just did constant DTs and started using henna which helped wonders.

Yup, Fallon...LOL Hubby was in the military, medically retired now though.

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Yup, Fallon...LOL Hubby was in the military, medically retired now though.
No way!! aha Thats awesome. I used to live in Fernley. I am a licensed cosmetologist and I was working in Fernley you coulda come and seen a long hair friendly hair dresser :D Geez even him. I did soooo many military haircuts it isnt even funny.
I have always wondered if anyone from there was on here then once I move away someone is. Of course.

kpzra
June 18th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ah Fernley, home of the closest Round Table :D

My hair is only shoulder length right now, I chopped it off after my daughter was born and I got peeved at it. We had well water in Wasilla with a whole house filter, which it loved. Hubby is easy, clippers every few months. He had high and tights too long so it grows out weird.:whistle:

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Ah Fernley, home of the closest Round Table :D

My hair is only shoulder length right now, I chopped it off after my daughter was born and I got peeved at it. We had well water in Wasilla with a whole house filter, which it loved. Hubby is easy, clippers every few months. He had high and tights too long so it grows out weird.:whistle:
Geez more like home of EVERY pizza place you could ever think of haha I have no clue how they all stay in business, or even why the keep opening more. And a wal mart. I miss it though. All my friends are there :( Its not so bad, there is just nothing going on at all.
I worked at Great Clips there in town. I would NOT recommend going to a stylist in fallon (unless you already have one there) I guess it is really hard to get an appointment there and no one ever is really happy so they would come to my work :) It really is a good place to go if you ever need a slight trim they even offer military discount which makes your cut 11 dollars.
And I am so sorry OP I am not trying to be off topic but it just made me so excited to see someone lived close to the lame town I used to live in :D

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 01:18 AM
And I am so sorry OP I am not trying to be off topic but it just made me so excited to see someone lived close to the lame town I used to live in :D

Haha it's cool. I get like that too!

rajini4eva
June 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
My henna comes with 9 herbs in it. It's still legit henna no metallics but anyway beside the point...
It says: "Hibiscus: Rejuvenates hair making it shiny and silky"
I am not sure what form to prepare it in, sorry, but I do like the stuff. My hair always benefits from the henna with it in it so it can't be bad. Did you search google for some hair care recipes with hibiscus? That is where I would start...

Firstly, i envy you :wink: for having found so much of the hibiscus product.

Hibiscus does a world of good to the hair :thumbsup:... Let me tell you why?

it cures dandruff
Its used as a hair dye... Meaning which if the flower is used continously, it reduces the greying of hair.
it prevents hair loss
enhances hair growth
reduces split ends
thickens the hair
but as someone said... toomuch is too bad... so using at an optimum level works wonders... :waving::waving::waving:

Astraea
June 18th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I used to combine amla:shikakai:hibiscus powders in a 3:3:2 ratio for cleansing/conditioning and loved it. It was very acidic, pH3.5, but the results were soft, sleek, strong, detangled hair and the amla made it curly. I also use it as a face masque with stunning results.

I've purchased hibiscus from Henna Sooq and Ayurnatural, the latter is beyond fuchsia (very pretty!) but Khadija's (Henna Sooq) was milled fine and to perfection.

Anyway, I used 1x a week or less and did notice some depositing over time in the form of highlights and a light cherry cola hue that does disappear. The amla had something to do with it too. I've never used the tea so it may be different. But here's additional info about the tea from Anita Grant and Curly Nikki:

https://anitagrant.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=67&category_id=5&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/09/ayurvedic-breakdown.html

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Firstly, i envy you :wink: for having found so much of the hibiscus product.

Hibiscus does a world of good to the hair :thumbsup:... Let me tell you why?

it cures dandruff
Its used as a hair dye... Meaning which if the flower is used continously, it reduces the greying of hair.
it prevents hair loss
enhances hair growth
reduces split ends
thickens the hair
but as someone said... toomuch is too bad... so using at an optimum level works wonders... :waving::waving::waving:

Thank you! My mom actually brought them from Guatemala, so score! :D I will be posting my results later today.

I used to combine amla:shikakai:hibiscus powders in a 3:3:2 ratio for cleansing/conditioning and loved it. It was very acidic, pH3.5, but the results were soft, sleek, strong, detangled hair and the amla made it curly. I also use it as a face masque with stunning results.

I've purchased hibiscus from Henna Sooq and Ayurnatural, the latter is beyond fuchsia (very pretty!) but Khadija's (Henna Sooq) was milled fine and to perfection.

Anyway, I used 1x a week or less and did notice some depositing over time in the form of highlights and a light cherry cola hue that does disappear. The amla had something to do with it too. I've never used the tea so it may be different. But here's additional info about the tea from Anita Grant and Curly Nikki:

https://anitagrant.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=67&category_id=5&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/09/ayurvedic-breakdown.html

Thanks for the information :D I'm a bit apprehensive about the color change, but as long as it's not permanent, I'm good :p I do ACV rinse, so should I skip the ACV rinse if I'm doing the hibiscus rinse?

ravenreed
June 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I have used hibiscus quite a bit for moisturizing. It never made a significant impact on my greys. I dye my hair burgundy and using a hibiscus rinse definitely brings out a lovely tone, but it didn't stain one bit. I get mine as my local Hispanic market. It is sold as dried flowers and called jamaica. It also makes a lovely tea.

LaFlor
June 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM
How interesting! I buy them sometimes to make agua de jamaica... a hibiscus drink. They make such a pretty and dark liquid and stain my containers like crazy!! It would be nice to try this sometimes when I make the drink :blossom:

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM
How interesting! I buy them sometimes to make agua de jamaica... a hibiscus drink. They make such a pretty and dark liquid and stain my containers like crazy!! It would be nice to try this sometimes when I make the drink :blossom:

I used to drink jamaica all the time! So good! And since my mom was going to Guatemala, I figured she may as well bring me some since it's a lot cheaper :happydance:

bumblebums
June 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I've used powdered hibiscus in my amla/shikakai/aritha mix. It worked really well, adding a pleasant scent and some conditioning effects. It also makes the dried mixture look redder so it looks less like smack, should you want to take it through airport security :)

I am a brunette with ashy tones, and if there was any permanent red staining, I would have noticed. There wasn't any.

IvanaGil
June 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
So....I did it! Can't say I felt anything different. I'm going to need to have another go at it tomorrow though because I was using my last bits of conditioner and my hair wasn't as tangle free as it usually is. No color changes :D