PDA

View Full Version : Hi, and a fructis warning

Januari
June 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Hello. I color treat my hair and am have been growing it for about two years, after a terrible accident where I tried to dye it darker and it all fell out instead.

Despite bleaching it once a month (as long as I can stand to let my dark roots grow out) I had got it up to a pretty good thickness and length. (Past the bra strap, currently.)

I did this by going off shampoo and conditioner-washing. Also putting a little olive oil on the ends.

This is where the product warning comes in. A few days ago I had a look at this "length and strength by garnier fructis. This product does the exact opposite of what it claims. Instead of lengthening and strengthening my hair, huge clumps came out in the shower. Also my scalp felt burned. Then even more fell out in the brush. Wanted to cry. Lost a LOT of thickness that took years to grow!

Google searched "does garnier fructis make your hair fall out" and a ton of hits came up. Check out one called WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review::: that has photos. Or google "Garnier fructis hair is falling out bad!?" from one poor girl who nearly went bald. I don't know what garnier puts in their products but it needs to be pulled from the shelves.

Do not use it, ever, especially not on color treated or highlighted hair. Not so say that some people with all natural hair might not use it and love it. But on color treated or highlighted hair - no.

Switched back to my old, cheap conditioner, and ta-da. No more hair falling out in clumps.

Has anyone here had a similar experience, with any product, and how long did it take for you to regain your thickness?

Januari
June 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Also I finally broke down and got the ends trimmed. About an inch. Hated to do it but I admit it looks better.

letibear
June 17th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Has anyone here had a similar experience, with any product, and how long did it take for you to regain your thickness?

I used to have virgin, waist-long, curly hair and I destroyed it by straightening it all with a chemical relaxer. I had tons of damage, hair was breaking everywhere and falling out. I decided then that I needed to just accept what nature gave me and quit fighting with it. (I am not saying it is wrong to alter the color/texture of hair if that's what one chooses to do, but it didn't work for me.)

So, I later decided to cut it all off, very short, around my neck. That was in March 2011. Since then, the best medicine was to leave my hair alone. I stopped brushing it. Stopped using styling tools on it. I cut washes back to once a week. I didn't even use combs, I finger combed it that entire summer. Once it was long enough, I started keeping it in a bun every single day, with small amounts of grapeseed or almond oil to help protect it.

I trimmed 1" off every few months to slowly get rid of the extra damage and maintain its length, and my last trim was on Dec 2011. It is now back to its original thickness and is now about APL.

caadam
June 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hmm... back in the day when my hair was dyed, I used Garnier Fructis, and I never had that problem. I used the shampoo and conditioner, and was in a household where you HAD to S&C every day, lest be considered "dirty." lol

Maybe... it was an allergic reaction? The only reason I say that is because of scalp burning. Sometimes that happens when people are allergic to certain hair product ingredients.

Also, I've used a conditioner from Garnier last year, and I still didn't have a problem (other than it leaving disgusting residue—blugh).

Just putting in my two cents... and I'm SO sorry that happened. :( *hugz*

caadam
June 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah... I just read some reviews about this shampoo, and it seems a lot of people like it. *shrugs* Don't have any problems. So I wonder if the people who DID have this severe of a problem with the shampoo are having some kind of allergic reaction or something.

As far as the ingredients... I honestly didn't see anything very sketchy (not saying I'm an expert, but I tried to do some reading on the ingredients, and didn't see anything sketchy lol). I've seen worse in less expensive products, and more expensive ones. I could've very well had missed something on basis of information about the ingredients, though.

Here's the list of ingredients for Gariner Fructis Length and Strength shampoo:

Aqua/Water/Eau (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cocamide MIPA, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Hexylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Carbomer, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methyl Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

And here's the list for the conditioner:

Aqua/Water/Eau (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Myristate, Pyrus Malus (Apple Fruit Extract), Perfume (Fragrance), Methylparaben, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract (Sugar Cane Extract), Benzyl Alcohol, Dodecene, Poloxamer 407, Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

I haven't checked out the conditioner yet, but maybe someone else will take a look and give you their thoughts on it. :)

akilina
June 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Nothing to offer other than: That is horrible! Is there anyone who has access to your conditioner that has it in for ya and put something in it? Sounds stupid but I have never had this issue and I used to use that stuff a LOT from age 14-17.

GlennaGirl
June 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I think maybe you had a reaction to something in the formula. :( I'm sorry.

I use Fructis, including Long & Strong, all the time and have never suffered this effect. Just putting in my own experience.

carolinaberry
June 18th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hello. I color treat my hair and am have been growing it for about two years, after a terrible accident where I tried to dye it darker and it all fell out instead.

Despite bleaching it once a month (as long as I can stand to let my dark roots grow out) I had got it up to a pretty good thickness and length. (Past the bra strap, currently.)

I did this by going off shampoo and conditioner-washing. Also putting a little olive oil on the ends.

This is where the product warning comes in. A few days ago I had a look at this "length and strength by garnier fructis. This product does the exact opposite of what it claims. Instead of lengthening and strengthening my hair, huge clumps came out in the shower. Also my scalp felt burned. Then even more fell out in the brush. Wanted to cry. Lost a LOT of thickness that took years to grow!

Google searched "does garnier fructis make your hair fall out" and a ton of hits came up. Check out one called WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review::: that has photos. Or google "Garnier fructis hair is falling out bad!?" from one poor girl who nearly went bald. I don't know what garnier puts in their products but it needs to be pulled from the shelves.

Do not use it, ever, especially not on color treated or highlighted hair. Not so say that some people with all natural hair might not use it and love it. But on color treated or highlighted hair - no.

Switched back to my old, cheap conditioner, and ta-da. No more hair falling out in clumps.

Wow. I am currently experiencing a scary shed...I even saw my dr and have to get blood drawn for various tests....I started using this stuff a couple months ago...and have had crazy shedding for most of that time. I am going to by new stuff on payday and see if it makes a difference! Oh, I don't use the "Blow-dry Perfector", just the shampoo and conditioner.

EtherealDoll
June 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM
That's horrible what happened to you but maybe you had an allergic reaction? Or where did you get your shampoo/conditioner from, maybe it was a forgery and not a real Garnier Fructis?

I've been using Garnier, including Fructis Long & Strong, for years and still am(Garnier Ultra Dolce Chamomile and Honey) and never had this problem, and I dye my hair blonde. And most people I know are also using Garnier shampoos and conditioners, because they're rather popular and not expensive where I live.

malin_798
June 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Actually, my sister had this problem with Fructis as well. She told me years ago not to use it because it made the hair fall out. Im sorry it happened to you. :shake:

MeowScat
June 18th, 2012, 02:35 AM
My old hairdresser told me to stay away from Garnier. Back when Sex and The City was still on, Sarah Jessica Parker was the spokesperson for Garnier's hair color. She used it and it fried her hair so bad she had to chop it.

I remember wondering why she cut her beautiful hair off one season. That was why.

I won't touch anything from them. Scary. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. :(

Aveyronnaise
June 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM
That's horrible what happened to you but maybe you had an allergic reaction? Or where did you get your shampoo/conditioner from, maybe it was a forgery and not a real Garnier Fructis?

I've been using Garnier, including Fructis Long & Strong, for years and still am(Garnier Ultra Dolce Chamomile and Honey) and never had this problem, and I dye my hair blonde. And most people I know are also using Garnier shampoos and conditioners, because they're rather popular and not expensive where I live.
Yes I have been using Garnier since I moved to Europe because it's inexpensive here and one of the only cone free options. I've used the Ultra Doux lines and the triple nutrition and had great results.

But I only use the conditioner so ...

DarkCurls
June 18th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Yes I have been using Garnier since I moved to Europe because it's inexpensive here and one of the only cone free options. I've used the Ultra Doux lines and the triple nutrition and had great results.

But I only use the conditioner so ...

I've used the same lines and for the same reasons, and am still using the triple nutrition with great results. :confused: It's my favorite conditioner.

PolarCathy
June 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I had been using Fructis (I don't remember which exactly, just a plain shampoo, no conditioner) before going water-only. Maybe 5 years ago? The only thing I remember from back then is that I had hair allover the floor. I didn't care about hair much so I never counted but as I say, two days after vacuum cleaning my hair was everywhere. Then I remember I switched to a diluted shower gel ("Neutral" that's sold here in Sweden) and it got better. Then went water-only from there.

MinderMutsig
June 18th, 2012, 06:55 AM
My old hairdresser told me to stay away from Garnier. Back when Sex and The City was still on, Sarah Jessica Parker was the spokesperson for Garnier's hair color. She used it and it fried her hair so bad she had to chop it.

I remember wondering why she cut her beautiful hair off one season. That was why.

I won't touch anything from them. Scary. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. :(I think all that hairspray, backcombing, coloring, bleaching, straightening, curling, blowdrying, and whatever else they do to peoples hair for tv has more to do with that than just one single brand of dye. Obviously all dyes are damaging. Combine that with all that intensive styling, more bleach and more dye then your hair is going to fry no matter what brand you use.

Lilli
June 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Wow. That sucks. Another voice here to say an allergic reaction. I love my Garnier S&C. I use it when I just want my hair to look good without having to use oil, leave-in, etc.

heidi w.
June 18th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Most Garnier Fructis products I've only ever heard sad news about. So I never even tried it, nor would I ever. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

heidi w.

NoRush
June 18th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I use pretty much all Garnier, like above, here in europe is one of few brands that offers a cone free inexpensive option, I've also used their more regular products without trouble, actually my hair and scalp seem to like this brand better than any other so far.

The trouble with this treatment, I think, is that it's essentially a very diluted version of a relaxer, it's very harsh and for it to "work" it has to be :hatchet: and it has some pretty scary ingredients in it.... :rolleyes:

swearnsue
June 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience with Garnier. I almost bought some the other day and I'm glad I didn't. With so many people having a bad experience I think I'll play it safe and not use it. Thanks again and I hope your hair grows back thicker than ever!

blaketob
June 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I never had such a bad experience with Garnier's products, but I do not like them at all! I found that they made my hair feel weighed down, greasy, and not great feeling at all so I stopped using any of those products long ago. My favorite products now are Suave Professionals. I'm obsessed with the way these products make my hair feel :)

camillacamilla
June 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I've never had any problem with the Garnier shampoos or conditioners. They are the same to me as any other cone filled products. One thing to be aware of though, is that the Garnier Fructis Length and Strength blow dry perfector is NOT a conditioner. IIRC, it contains chemicals similiar to those found in perms and relaxers.

Babyfine
June 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM

I'm so sorry to hear your going through this. Was it the shampoo you used?
Years ago I used to use the length and strength leave in and my hair was high-lighted. But I only used it from the ears down, never on my scalp. I had no problem with it but it wasn't anything special so I didn't re-purchase as I moved on to better things. Some Garnier products have fruit acids in them perhaps you were reacting to those? Currently I use the Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner in rotation-but again not on my scalp- and have had no problem. I put only a few select things on my scalp(low or no sulfate shampoos, Nioxin). never use the Garnier shampoos.

spidermom
June 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM
DD uses the Fructis product all the time and loves it. It's coconut oil that will make her scalp feel burned. Anybody can be allergic to anything.

Rufflebutt
June 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I used Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner. I think it's really good, actually. But I've never used any of their other products. I just always have to put it in after I shower when my hair is wet. Otherwise it makes my hair look greasy. but otherwise it leaves my hair soft and frizz-free.

holothuroidea
June 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I tried Fructis Length and Strength a long time ago when I experienced a huge shed, but I'm pretty sure that shed was a post partum hormonal thing.

I distinctly remember throwing away halfway full bottles of it because I chopped all my hair off when it started coming out in clumps and didn't need a s&c for "length" anymore.

pepperminttea
June 18th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I've used some of their conditioners to great success lately; some would consider them too build-up heavy, but that makes my hair behave quite nicely. :shrug:

Sorry you had such a bad experience, OP, that's awful. :(

One thing to be aware of though, is that the Garnier Fructis Length and Strength blow dry perfector is NOT a conditioner. IIRC, it contains chemicals similiar to those found in perms and relaxers.

Oh, that makes sense. Still a terrible thing to happen to someone, but I don't think it's uncommon to have hair loss with relaxers from what I've read?

I thought it would be strange to have a conditioner that many reported being allergic to still on the market. Relaxers seem to get away with so much more. :(

long&blonde
June 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM
OMG, scaring me, with my 6 containers of long & strong fructis leave in conditioner;buy the store out,due to small bottles. But omg,yes,Lots of shower shedding. Is it detangling mess? I only wash once or twice a week, I was assuming hairs that shed while in bun/braid meanwhiles? Or is it Fructis? Hmmmm. Oh-oh.

Elanadi
June 18th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I've used Garnier fructis shampoos and conditioners off and on throughout the years and love them! I've never had an issue with them. I love their conditioners in particular.

louzen
June 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I suffered from something similar about 7 months ago but with a different product. A hairdresser sprayed volumising spray on my scalp/hair before blow-drying, and about 2 hours after I experienced a severe burning sensation all over my scalp. I washed my hair immediately, but the burning sensation persisted for about 3 months and got worse every time I washed it with shampoo. There were days I literally couldn't concentrate at work from the pain and burning and used to cry nearly every day. I also suffered increased hair fall from the scalp inflammation. I would say it took about 5-6 months to fully recover and gain back the hair I lost (oiling 2x a week and using non-sulphate shampoos), although I feel my scalp has been left 'extra sensitive' from it and is prone to dryness now, which I didn't use to suffer from before.

I can't be sure but I think the volumising spray was from Tigi. I can't find the ingredients on the web, but would love to know what caused what I can only describe as a 'chemical burn'.

But, every cloud has a silver lining and all... Thank God it happened because it led me on a path of discovery about chemicals in shampoos, proper hair care (my hair-care was shocking before), oiling (I had never oiled in my life), etc and this forum!! :) My hair is now in better condition than it was before the incident happened which I'm very grateful for.:)

berr
June 18th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I've not tried garnier... I don't try most things just because pantene made me shed a LOT. I try to keep things mild. I have been liking the nexxus promend conditioner. I usually use a little shampoo like suave clarifying or olive oil shampoo. Then I can go heavy on the conditioners for the length. I never put anything on my scalp except a shampoo or sea breeze. I've been trying that nexxus promend for conditioning the ends and it's been working rather well. Conditioner only goes from the nape down for me.

TiffanieJean
June 18th, 2012, 12:31 PM
My scalp tends to be on the dry side, and for some reason SLS free shampoo's seem to make the problem worse. Despite knowing that, I refused to give up on SLS free products. I tried quite a few, and one in particular gave me a bad reaction. It was Organix Coconut and Egg White S&C. My scalp became so dry that I developed sores and hair was falling out... Luckily I eventually found Giovanni products, and my hair has been thankful ever since.

lapushka
June 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
One thing to be aware of though, is that the Garnier Fructis Length and Strength blow dry perfector is NOT a conditioner. IIRC, it contains chemicals similiar to those found in perms and relaxers.

That's a relief for those of us with Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners.

Sorry you had that experience, OP, but... you did use a chemical product on top of everything else that you already used on your head (color, bleach). You can't expect your hair to be resilient to just about anything. At one point, one thing is going to be too much.

Carissamarie08
June 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Well I use this brand a lot and I have never had shedding problems ... I love it!

jeanniet
June 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I don't use it, but my son uses Fructis shampoo and conditioner, and he has the thickest, most luscious, curly hair you can imagine (or at least it was luscious and curly until he buzzed it off :mad:). He doesn't even take care of his hair other than washing and conditioning, so the Fructis defnitely isn't hurting anything.

Lilli
June 18th, 2012, 04:20 PM
My scalp tends to be on the dry side, and for some reason SLS free shampoo's seem to make the problem worse. Despite knowing that, I refused to give up on SLS free products. I tried quite a few, and one in particular gave me a bad reaction. It was Organix Coconut and Egg White S&C. My scalp became so dry that I developed sores and hair was falling out... Luckily I eventually found Giovanni products, and my hair has been thankful ever since.

Dude, Organix stuff is so drying - it's the worst. I actually returned it, and it takes a lot for me to hate shampoo.

camillacamilla
June 18th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Dude, Organix stuff is so drying - it's the worst. I actually returned it, and it takes a lot for me to hate shampoo.
I love the different scents they have, but ITA that Organix is too drying.

ladonna
June 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I love garnier products and have a collection of them. My hair is the healthiest it ever been. I had a reaction of hair falling when doing co washing with sauve or vo5 (can't remember) and when using pantene products. I've heard of lots of people having this same reaction to possible allergies or sensitivities in different shampoo/condish, even shampoo bars.

swearnsue
June 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Not only is everyone different but companies change their ingredients from time to time and I don't know if the labels keep up with the changes. They could even add an ingredient that doesn't show up on the label at all. (Can you tell I don't trust Big Business?)

IndigoAsh
June 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Never had an issue with Fructis. It sounds to me more like a reaction with your bleaching. That's terrible though. Have you contacted the company?

Dolly
June 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I've never had issues with Garnier either....I like their triple nutrition products......

Arden
June 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe it's an allergy like the other ladies suggested... Or maybe it was because you went from CO to shampoo...

I only say this because after both my pregnanices I had major fallout for up to 2 years... once the fall out slowed down I started trying "no poo" methods... I have found that when I use products that are not "shampoo" ...castel soap, wo, co, bs/acv for example... my hair doesnt shed nearly as much... If I happen to fall off the "no poo" wagon... it comes down in clumps in my hands..... It's not that it making it fall out (at the roots) persay... it's just causing alot of fallout and breakage....

I blame shampoo period.... but that's just me... Do I still use it occassionally? Yes... but I'm also prepaired to see more hair in the drain when I do... just my two cents :)

Maelyssa
June 19th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Some other things to consider when someone with damaged hair has a reaction such a hair loss....
Is it breakage or coming out at the root?
I would say that if the hair has become very weak and fragile due to damaging it from heat or chemicals or even bad brushing then I would think that any heavy shampoo, conditioner or leave in might be too much weight for the strands so they may be prone to breakage purely from the weight of the product on the fragile hair.
Another thought is I've found that when I use a lighter slip product my hair hardly sheds at all. Then if I switch to a very slippery product I will initially get quite a bit of shed for a few days. I believe it's probably naturally shed hairs that just haven't gotten properly brushed out with the low-slip products and now they're finally falling out due to the high slip from all of the oils and thingsin the products.

I hope you find a product that works for you but remember it can be a variety of reasons a shed happens and if you believe it's a product,sometimes a sticking with the product for a short period of time will help confirm that.
Good luck!

Januari
June 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Some of you on here reported having the same problem, or knew of someone who did. Using garnier fructis in the past gave no trouble- but that was when the hair was natural to the root. Someone thought this was from using their shampoo but no, the hair fell out from using their conditioner alone.

This guy's review on Amazon says it burned both himself and his wife, and they're not even the same skin type:

Worst shampoo we've used, February 16, 2012

"We bought two bottles of this from Costco. Turns out to be the worst shampoo we've ever used. For BOTH my wife and I, with very different hair and skin, this creates pimples or sores on our scalps and leaves us with very dry hair. It also gives us both BAD dandruff. My wife says that my mom also tried this stuff and got the same result - sores and dandruff. What on earth? How is this stuff permitted by the FDA?! I'm serious, this stuff is a chemical disaster. Anybody seen "Todd Margaret"? With all the boxes labeled "BAD SANITATION"? It makes me think of this stuff. It's the hair care apocalypse... enjoy! :) "

A yahoo question. She almost went bald.Garnier fructis hair is falling out bad!?

ive used garnier fructis 2 in 1 for like 3 weeks now and i have had dramatic hair loss, like falling out to the point im almost bald on the side of my head.....has anyone had this problem??????Why is this happening?i look ridiculous and i cant style my hair how i want it anymore, im so pissed b/c i feel like im balding i dont know what to do, what can i do to revive my hair and make it stop falling out products please?

WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review::: (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cravingchocolateandlazydays.c om%2F2010%2F09%2F29%2Fwarning-garnier-fructis-blow-dry-perfector-review%2F&ei=xGLgT_jZIcG-2gWMkvGkCg&usg=AFQjCNFA0jXeBxKWTk5bnC1NOUEi4YE9hA&sig2=fqKmO88qR9RS1AXS_YbVKw)

"OK! Here is where I noticed a problem. Pieces of my hair were breaking off. BUT WAIT! Look at how much hair came out in my brush!!"
http://www.cravingchocolateandlazydays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/P1030386-300x225.jpg (http://www.cravingchocolateandlazydays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/P1030386.jpg)

"SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!? I swear I just lost half of my hair. Remember this is just the hair that came out in the brush…there were TONS of broken ends on the floor!! I was ticked!!"

Plenty more reports of hair loss where these came from. Take the risk if you feel like it, but was obligated to put the warning out there all the same. You might not be one of the lucky ones.

Don't want to offend any fructis fans- If you are already using fructis and love it, and it works for you, then please continue.

pepperminttea
June 19th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Januari, would you mind clarifying exactly what product you were using? :) I just want to double-check.

PolarCathy
June 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM
At this stage, what's exactly the point of this thread?

You used a shampoo that you were sensitive to (for whatever reason). You found some reviews from people who had problems with it as well. Have you quoted the reviews from people who like it?

Aloe Vera Gel, as I got to know from a friend here, is also used for example to help hair regrowth after chemo. I know a person who is severely allergic to aloe vera.
I think Aloe Vera is evil!!!

Is it??

lapushka
June 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review:::

This *is* a chemical treatment, not a conditioner or a shampoo.

Januari, would you mind clarifying exactly what product you were using? :) I just want to double-check.

See above.

pepperminttea
June 19th, 2012, 10:12 AM
See above.

That's what I thought, hence wanting to check.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM
pepperminttea, lapushka,

Did you ever think that maybe other women don't want their hair falling out? Hair that they spent years trying to grow?

I posted this for them- so if even one woman woman can be spared going bald from fructis, it was worth it.

As has been stated i ever post - I was using garnier fructis conditioner. Just the conditioner. Alone.

And never touched the blow dry Perfector. It was included for being a garnier fructis product. The point is- NO product designed for hair care should ever make your hair fall out in clumps.

For the fructis fans- If you are already using fructis and love it, and it works for you, then please continue.

But it is very, very selfish to not allow OTHER women to make up their minds for themselves, whether they want to risk trying this product or not, knowing this side effect is out there.

If the warning had been out there before hand, I would have never touched the stuff. Length and strength my butt!

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 12:40 AM
One more time- because it keeps getting missed:

The conditioner. I was just using the conditioner alone. Not a chemical product. Only Conditioner.

You love fructis, great. Keep using it. But it makes some people go bald. No hair product should do that - ever.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't help but wonder if this is still an allergic reaction of some sort. Because if some people can handle it just fine for years and other people can't without these kinds of reactions, then it sounds like an allergic reaction. lol I mean, there are plenty of less fancy conditioners than Garnier Fructis that have chemicals that cause allergic reactions, but does that mean the product itself is bad? Nope. It just means that some people are allergic to it, and some people are not. *shrugs* Should we denounce those? No way. You just gotta find what works for you.

We also have to consider anything you've done before you started using this (well, you would have to, if you want). Someone mentioned you bleached, is that right? Idk exactly how that works, but I've met some women who have dyed their hair, and it would be fine for a day, then the next day they wash their hair, and chucks fall out. It wasn't the shampoo/conditioner's fault, but the dye. Just making a small point.

Either way, I hope that you can recover from this. :( I know some of us were just trying to understand the situation in its entirety so that we really see where it was coming from, whether it be from the conditioner or something else. It was no offense against you. :flower:

Audrey Horne
June 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I used Fructis many years ago (can't remember which kind). It gave me some serious itches, so I discontinued. I can't remember about the shed because I didn't care back then. And I also dyed my hair chemically.

Sadly, you can be allergic to anything: tensids, emulgators, extracts, parfum, EO etc. PH balance of the shampoo may not agree with that one of your scalp. TBH, I don't think there is 100% safe product or routine for every human. You take a risk every time you use anything new.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Thank you Audrey Horne,

There is really no reason for others to start trolling the thread simply because some people have a bad reaction to this product when they didn't.

Enough people have problems with it that the warning needs to be out there. The reason their thick, dark, virgin, un-color treated hair didn't fall out is because it's obviously going to be more resilient than others.

I have also heard some people have the same reaction to pantene. Another reason I am sticking the the cheapest conditioner out there; it is less likely to have harmful additives.

jeanniet
June 20th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I did the googling you suggested and honestly, nearly everything that came up was on Yahoo Answers, which isn't typically too reliable (and most of the answers said "No" anyway). The girl who used the Perfector was also bleaching, blow drying, and flat ironing, and when you use a product like that on damaged hair there is always a risk that something may go wrong. When I googled about the specific conditioner you were using, I didn't find anything at all, although I might have missed something. In any case, I don't see that hair loss is any more common with Fructis than, say, Pantene. I would be much more concerned that you may be allergic to a specific ingredient, or that there's an ingredient that reacts badly with the bleach. If that's the case, it's important to figure out what it is to minimize future reactions. I would do some ingredient comparing, and not just assume it's simply the brand that's to blame when there are other factors that could be equally at fault. You don't want to find out the hard way that you're allergic to a common ingredient.

I don't particularly like Fructis products myself, although I've used them on occasion. But many people here use them and like them, including people with colored hair. I can't remember any specific posts about hair loss from any Fructis product.

jeanniet
June 20th, 2012, 02:42 AM
OMG, scaring me, with my 6 containers of long & strong fructis leave in conditioner;buy the store out,due to small bottles. But omg,yes,Lots of shower shedding. Is it detangling mess? I only wash once or twice a week, I was assuming hairs that shed while in bun/braid meanwhiles? Or is it Fructis? Hmmmm. Oh-oh.
I only wash once or twice a week, and I shed quite a lot in the shower unless I comb my hair out thoroughly first. Then the shed is less, but there's still a shed.

jeanniet
June 20th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Thank you Audrey Horne,

There is really no reason for others to start trolling the thread simply because some people have a bad reaction to this product when they didn't.

Enough people have problems with it that the warning needs to be out there. The reason their thick, dark, virgin, un-color treated hair didn't fall out is because it's obviously going to be more resilient than others.

I have also heard some people have the same reaction to pantene. Another reason I am sticking the the cheapest conditioner out there; it is less likely to have harmful additives.
People are not "trolling" simply because they suggest that there are a number of factors at play here. Allergic reactions are very common, and a very likely cause for what happened, along with possibly a problem due to previous damage. I know what happened was upsetting, but please try to be very sure what caused it so it doesn't happen again.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I honestly saw no one trolling the thread, considering that "trolling" connotes people intentionally causing a ruckus, being foolish, deceptive, sarcastic, and/or contemptuous for the sake of self-entertainment and offense of the person being "trolled."

I mean, if you're going to post something that's distressing and slightly controversial towards a product, you have to consider the responses you will get from both sides. Not everyone is going to agree with you, and seeing as this is a discussion forum, each of us has the right to agree or disagree in a civil manner and then discuss why we feel that way. I don't think anyone in your thread has abused that right a single time.

So I find it a bit unfair and slightly offensive that you would suggest that one or some of us are "trolling" this thread. Honestly, I would like to see some evidence of it. I get that you wanted to warn some people about your experience, along with the experience of others, but I think there were plenty of other valid points made that showed that there could be other explanations for these reactions. If you don't agree, then you don't agree. You did make it obvious that you don't, and that's fine, but to suggest that there was trolling because some people disagreed with you?

...I don't think that's right. But if I'm wrong, let me know. Maybe you can clarify what you meant by that. I'm open to understanding where you felt like that was happening. If you don't want to discuss it, though, then I can only hope you understand what it means to bring up a topic like this. It might seem like a small matter to some people, but it obviously was a significant matter for you and some others, and with that comes some controversy, disagreements, and discussion. Just how it is.

louzen
June 20th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Hi Januari

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I know it's distressing and frustrating (since I've been there, see my last post) but your hair will grow back. Unfortunately it takes time (especially if you have fine hair like me). What you need to do now for the foreseeable future is try and accelerate growth as much as possible to recover what you lost. Eat very healthy (fruit and veg) and incorporate hair-boosting foods into your diet (like eggs, EFAs, proteins, nuts, etc), do regular oilings with your EO of choice (jojoba and emu oil are my favourites), massages and exercise to boost circulation to the scalp for regrowth.

You said your scalp felt burned. Is it currently red/inflamed/sore? You should also focus on getting this healed asap. I found shampoo only made me worse after I had scalp inflammation, so you might want to use Conditioner Only until you have healed.

I think some of us have more sensitive scalps than others - hence the reason some people react badly to certain products and others don't. Because of what happened to me I'm now very careful with what I use.

HTH

Rosetta
June 20th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I've never had any issues with Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners, either; love especially their conditioners.

At this stage, what's exactly the point of this thread?

You used a shampoo that you were sensitive to (for whatever reason). You found some reviews from people who had problems with it as well. Have you quoted the reviews from people who like it?

Aloe Vera Gel, as I got to know from a friend here, is also used for example to help hair regrowth after chemo. I know a person who is severely allergic to aloe vera.
I think Aloe Vera is evil!!!

Is it??
Completely agree.

One more time- because it keeps getting missed:

The conditioner. I was just using the conditioner alone. Not a chemical product. Only Conditioner.

You love fructis, great. Keep using it. But it makes some people go bald. No hair product should do that - ever.
The point several others were trying to make here is that this (in bold) hasn't actually been proven at all.

And as many others have said, allergic reactions can and do happen with anything. I've had several bad ones myself, never with Fructis though.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Actually, my sister had this problem with Fructis as well. She told me years ago not to use it because it made the hair fall out. Im sorry it happened to you. :shake:

Wow. I am currently experiencing a scary shed...I even saw my dr and have to get blood drawn for various tests....I started using this stuff a couple months ago...and have had crazy shedding for most of that time. I am going to by new stuff on payday and see if it makes a difference! Oh, I don't use the "Blow-dry Perfector", just the shampoo and conditioner.

I used Fructis many years ago (can't remember which kind). It gave me some serious itches, so I discontinued. I can't remember about the shed because I didn't care back then. And I also dyed my hair chemically.

There is only one way to test and be sure: Go off the Fructis and see what happens.

I hadn't done one single thing different in my usual hair care routine, except switch to this conditioner. I CO wash, so I wasn't even using their shampoo.

I lost huge clumps from the first use, but used it again because I thought maybe my hair needed to "adjust to it." After the third wash I threw out the bottle and have had no problems since going back to the cheap dollar conditioner. I thought maybe I was just starting to go bald, for some other reason, but was relieved when switching back only a few little strands of hair came out in the wash, instead of huge clumps. That's how I knew it was the fructis.

Had I used it any longer I am sure I would have gone totally bald. As it is I lost about 1/4 of my thickness. :(

I think some of us have more sensitive scalps than others - hence the reason some people react badly to certain products and others don't. Because of what happened to me I'm now very careful with what I use.HTH

Yep. The burning stopped after I stopped using the product. I eat healthy, take vitamins and drink water. I'm not on any medications and have made no changes to my diet.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Rosetta -

I've never had any issues with Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners, either; love especially their conditioners.

If you enjoy shellfish and eat it all the time, that does not mean there is no such thing as a shellfish allergy; some people can die from eating it. Because you don't have it doesn't make them all liars.

Enough people have come forward just on this thread alone with the same issue. There is no reason to become hostile and accuse people of being crazy and/or liars. If you like it, please continue to use it. It's just a hair product. There is really no need to take it personally.

PolarCathy
June 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks, Rosetta! I was starting to feel like uhmmm, weird.

This thread has become one of those "psychologically demanding" threads with accusations (trolling) and no arguments whatsoever that I'm not interested in (other than I'm sorry). For me "Fructis made me lose 37% of my thickness in 2 weeks" does not qualify for an argument to open a thread and warn people about how evil Fructis is, on a website where probably a significant % use Fructis anyway and have their first-hand experiences given that it's one of the most popular brands in Europe. Makes no sense; even if I was (diffusely) shedding like mad when I myself was using Fructis, as I mentioned earlier.

I still think they should ban aloe vera! If only one woman reads this, it was worth posting it. :cool: Now that's how unreal his thread has become.

Okay, I'm outta here!

PolarCathy
June 20th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Rosetta -

If you enjoy shellfish and eat it all the time, that does not mean there is no such thing as a shellfish allergy; some people can die from eating it. Because you don't have it doesn't make them all liars.

Enough people have come forward just on this thread alone with the same issue. There is no reason to become hostile and accuse people of being crazy and/or liars. If you like it, please continue to use it. It's just a hair product. There is really no need to take it personally.

It seems to be you who takes things personally here, not Rosetta (who else will be next on your list?) Holy mother of God! No one was attacking you. No one called you a liar or doubted what you said either. But your way of trashing products, you'd deserve a lawsuit and I'm serious.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Rosetta -

You might want to get in on the test and experiment for yourself. You might be losing more hair than is normal in the wash and not even realize it. Try switching for a wash or two and see if less hair comes out.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 05:25 AM
PolarCathy

Holy mother of god - Nobody ever called fructis "Evil."

As for "deserving a lawsuit, seriously" if anything, there should be a class action suit against them. Not the other way around. And from my law class, as long as you are telling the truth is a defense against any slander/defamation of character suit.

There is no reason to get so emotional defending a shampoo/conditioner. Are you the heiress to a fructis fortune or something and we just don't know about it?

PolarCathy
June 20th, 2012, 05:31 AM
PolarCathy

Holy mother of god - Nobody ever called fructis "Evil."

As for "deserving a lawsuit, seriously" if anything, there should be a class action suit against them. Not the other way around. And from my law class, as long as you are telling the truth is a defense against any slander/defamation of character suit.

There is no reason to get so emotional defending a shampoo/conditioner. Are you the heiress to a fructis fortune or something and we just don't know about it?

You're wrong. When you make unsubstantiated claims, that's not called "the truth". Go ahead, substantiate it. You can't? Then stop trashing them.

I don't care about Fructis or any product for that matter, LOL. You crack me up! I have been water-only for three years and started to use another shampoo just recently. So just chill! No reason to get so stressed, it's bad for you. :cool:

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Polarcathy-

I don't have to prove anything to you and neither does anybody else. What makes you so important?

Holding big wads of my hair is the shower is plenty substantial. It didn't happen before the fructis, and when I stopped using the fructis, it stopped falling out. Plenty of others here had the same experience.

I cant figure out what you're deal is, or why you're even involved if you use water only, except you just must not want to be wrong.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Januari... I think at this point you might want to be careful with what you say to people.

For one, you started this thread with the direct intention to denounce this product through your own scare with the product along with the scares other people had. You brought in some serious controversy, and with controversy towards anything, even something like Garnier Fructis, you're going to be confronted with people on both sides. You should have prepared for this, but it looks as if you weren't.

You also have to remember that you are talking in a HAIR CARE discussion forum. Talking on a personal basis about hair products is frequently the norm and happens a lot around here. You can't really chastise us for that. And really, you would only be chastising yourself, because you made this whole discussion personal to begin with by sharing your own subjective experience and the suffering you went through, along with other accounts to try and support your argument. You made this personal first, not any of us who've disagreed with you.

Don't believe me? Let me quote you:

That sounds rather personal and emotional to me. Of course, I don't blame you for feeling that way, but that doesn't really give you the upper hand to tell everyone not to use it.

Another: no one ever said you or anyone that agreed with you was "crazy" or a "liar." I honestly don't know where that came from. If you're not going to take criticism like that, then maybe you shouldn't be on a discussion forum. The matter is that people who don't agree with you don't see your argument as strong, and we want more proof, which you have completely failed to give. Yes, you got some personal experiences on your side, including your own, but that's simply not enough. I'm sorry.

Also, you were the first person to actually become somewhat hostile by suggesting that some of us were "trolling" your thread. It was passive aggressive and hostile.

Again: YOU MADE THIS PERSONAL. lol At this point, I almost wonder if you're doing this on purpose. I can't really tell. I HOPE you're not, but you never know nowadays. I just think it'd be smart if you not cause any more tension between yourself and others. Stop the accusations, stop the passive aggression.

ETA: One last thing I noticed is that you didn't really start this thread suggesting you believed it to be an allergic reaction. You clearly stated in your first post that it might not be for people color-treated hair:

So... I just found it really strange how at one point, you were disagreeing with people who said it could've been an allergic reaction, and then suddenly say something like this:

If you enjoy shellfish and eat it all the time, that does not mean there is no such thing as a shellfish allergy; some people can die from eating it.

I'm sorry... but it just doesn't add up to me. :/ Also, I know I said that I wonder if you're doing this on purpose, and I honestly think that you're not. I'm sorry about saying that; it's just that much of what you're saying seems really confusing and contradictory when one looks at all you've said compared to your first post.

mckellyn
June 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Holy crap! I looked up the blogs/pictures... that's scary stuff!

I was using Garnier Fructis Color Shield S&C until about two weeks ago when I joined this forum. I found out that sulfates/silicates were bad for your hair, and ditched it immediately. Since then, I've been shampooing every 4-5 days with Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo, and applying oil (olive/coconut) or Nature's Gate conditioner everyday - usually to my dry hair. I always thought that would make it look oily but it doesn't! It just looks smooth, soft and shiny! My hair already looks 100% better than it did when I was using the Garnier products... and that was only two weeks ago!!!

I don't know what they put in that stuff - I never experienced drastic hair loss, but with the shampoo I do remember feeling some burning sensation, and my scalp became irritated and itchy after use. I would only shampoo like every 4-5 days, but every time I would notice that I shed more than with conditioner alone. I thought this was normal, as the shampoo was "cleaning" my hair - and the shedding was natural. But now I realize how ridiculous that thought is because you only lose hair if it reaches TL and falls out, or if it BREAKS OFF because some product/procedure is damaging it!

I'm excited to start growing my hair long and healthy without this stuff.

Good luck to you!!!!

MinderMutsig
June 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Rosetta -

Enough people have come forward just on this thread alone with the same issue. There is no reason to become hostile and accuse people of being crazy and/or liars. If you like it, please continue to use it. It's just a hair product. There is really no need to take it personally.No one is calling you a liar. Some are just saying maybe you're overreacting a little bit. Yes, it sucks when this happens to you but most likely the problem is not the product but an allergy to something in the product. Allergies do not effect everyone and it would be ridiculous to ban products because they cause allergic reactions on some people.

I for one am allergic to kiwi's. They make my mouth burn and blister and I can't eat properly for days. Doesn't mean kiwi's should be banned. They are incredibility healthy and good for you as long as you're not allergic.

Some are allergic to SLS which is in practically every shampoo on the face of the planet. Does that mean shampoo should be banned? Obviously not. Same goes for Garnier Fructis products.

What would help is try to identify the offending ingredient so you can avoid it in the future. Because honestly, that ingredient is probably not only found in Garnier Fructis products and it's very likely you'll run into that ingredient in another band conditioner and experience the same extensive hair loss and burning scalp.

Basically what we are saying is this: just because you had a bad reaction is no reason to call for a ban on Garnier Fructis or to come here shouting how Garnier Fructis is the devil reincarnated. It isn't for most people, except for the ones who are allergic.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
caadam-

This is a hair care forum, where participants, presumably, care about their hair. This is exactly why I posted my experience, and the experience of others, and asked others to come forward who had the same experience with this product - which they did.

mewoscat:

I won't touch anything from them. Scary. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

long&blonde:

malin_798:
Actually, my sister had this problem with Fructis as well. She told me years ago not to use it because it made the hair fall out. Im sorry it happened to you.

carolinaberry:

Audrey Horne:

We have warning from a trained hairdresser, who ought to know, as well as loads of people with their own personal experiences.

Sorry if that's not good enough for you, hun, but it's good enough for me and will be for plenty of others.

Audrey Horne
June 20th, 2012, 06:03 AM
1. Nobody's trolling here... :confused:
2. Just because a few people have allergy reaction to something doesn't mean they have to discontinue their products.

What warnings do you want to see? :confused: Does anyone remember that woman (not on LHC) who had a severe reaction to L'Oreal dye? It was in some articles, I recall. I used the same dye years ago and had no issues.
There are products and food I have allergies to. Other people enjoy it, though. So my point is: it is frustrating to go through it, yes, but it's life - if it doesn't suit you then just move on to something else.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Ha!

Meowscat's warning from her hair dresser about fructis made me think- why not just call a hairdresser and see what's up?

Just called up a hairdresser friend of mine who confirmed fructis can be damaging. She said "Everything fructis has a high alcohol content." For some people, with oily type scalps and hair, that can be a good thing - but for those who do not - guess what- it makes your hair fall out.

I flipped over the bottle and sure enough she was right. There it was listed as the second highest ingredient.

There you go. Case closed.

Audrey Horne
June 20th, 2012, 06:12 AM
...because hairdressers are always right.
let's close this topic already. It leads nowhere!

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hmm... you obviously don't know what those alcohols are. They're emollients—moisturizers. They're fatty alcohols, not like rubbing alcohol. They're both totally different things.

Thus, this stylist you spoke to doesn't even understand what those alcohols are, either. May I ask what kind of conditioner you're using? Most cheap conditioners have those same kind. It's a combination of cetyl and stearyl alcohol, and it's much like an oil. It's also biodegradable and used in a lot of beauty products like lotions, facial creams, and vaseline.

Again... I don't think that stylist knew what they were talking about. Sorry, but it's true. You would be very surprised on the lack of knowledge many (but not all) stylists have about hair and hair products. It's pretty mind boggling, but it happens more often than you think. If you took the time to look around at this thread, you would notice that.

Also... much of my points seem to be completely going over your head; either that or you simply don't care to take any kind of criticism, even valid criticism. So I'm not going to bother talking to you anymore.

In addition, if you have a hard time believing me about cetearyl alcohol (which wouldn't surprise me at this point), maybe you can believe a scientist!

http://colinsbeautypages.co.uk/cetearyl-alcohol/

Definitely better coming from a scientist, I think. 8)

Anyway, I'm done with this balderdash. So long!

louzen
June 20th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of alcohol is listed in the ingredients?

louzen
June 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM
The only reason I ask is that I use AO Green tea shampoo for occasional clarifying, and it has alcohol denat listed as the second ingredient.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of alcohol is listed in the ingredients?

Cetearyl alcohol. I explain what it is in my above post.

louzen
June 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Cetearly alcohol. I explain what it is in my above post.

Thanks caadam. Is alcohol denat bad do you know? I'm not sure if it's a rubbing alcohol or not..

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
The only reason I ask is that I use AO Green tea shampoo for occasional clarifying, and it has alcohol denat listed as the second ingredient.

Thread about alcohol denat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55396)

louzen
June 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Thread about alcohol denat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55396)

Thanks for the link :)

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks caadam. Is alcohol denat bad do you know? I'm not sure if it's a rubbing alcohol or not..

And no, it's not rubbing alcohol. Totally different grade of alcohol. And make sure to check out that whole thread so you can figure out if it's something you want to stick with. :)

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 07:06 AM
caadam

That is not the only form of alcohol garnier has in it though. As well citric acid, lemon peel extract, and other ingredients which you will often find in the "clarifying" shampoos mean to remove excess build up of oil.

This link here has other people complaining of the same thing (as well as some other more positive reviews.)

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=10/ItemID=26074/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=1/SkinToneType=-2/

I don't know why you insist on ignoring the fact some people are having a problem with this product. All of these people, as well as the five or six others on this thread, are not just imagining things.

EtherealDoll
June 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Nobody is ignoring the fact that some people had problem with this product, but it's not right to say "don't use it because it was bad for me, so it's bad for everyone". If it didn't work for you, then stop using it but there's no need to bash Garnier(or anything else, for that matter). For many people it's working great and might be the only cone-free inexpensive option.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
EtherealDoll- Woah woah woah, In every single post I have said "If if works for you, and you like it, by all means, please keep using it. I'm not here to stop you." But the warning needs to be out there that it can cause dramatic hair loss. I wish someone had warned me.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Alcohols in hair products:
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a650595/good_vs._bad_alcohol_in_hair_products.

Citric Acid isn't used because of the smell. Fragrances are added for that purpose. It has a two fold reason for addition. Shampoos usually are at pH 5.5 because at slightly acidic pH the scales on a hair follicle lay flat making the hair feel smooth and look shiny. Citric acid is used to adjust the pH down to 5.5 (ish). It is a fairly weak acid which makes the adjustment easier. it also has a small amount of preservative action. Citric acid as opposed to any other acid will prevent bacterial growth. (I used to work in the lab for a cosmetics company)

Source: http://www.finishing.com/66/95.shtml

Citric Acid:

Citric acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/HBI/12). It is in lemon juice. Used diluted well, like vinegar and lemon juice, it is perfectly fine and not drying or a problem. The key is diluted well. Acetic acid (vinegar is acetic acid in water) is an alpha hydroxy acid too).

Here is an interesting study (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/jde/2006/00000033/00000001/art00004) done on alpha hydroxy acids in 2006. I bolded specific wording.
"Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) agents, such as glycolic acid and lactic acid, have been used as therapeutic agents for more than a quarter of a century. ... The melanin deposits in the horny layers were equal for all AHA. ... melanin deposits in the squamous layers were less prominent in the glycolic and lactic acid-treated skins than in the citric and acetic acid-treated skins ... Collagen I and procollagen I were increased after treatment with glycolic, lactic and citric acid in the upper dermis, but were not increased with acetic acid treatment. ... Our data suggest that longer treatment intervals with glycolic and lactic acid can cause improvements in both the epidermal and dermal components and support the usefulness of AHA for rejuvenating photo-damaged skin."

The full article (http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:V3-BblrD6q0J:onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2006.00003.x/pdf+acetic+acid+is+an+alpha+hydroxy+acid&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShWj1CERMwEog947eWW3YGJlT4ea7ov6Kx0chbu Q3CezqIKpoqOVx5_C2L0xPGNAhqqw5LcxfOGAxoacOl_XRiLT0 nURCRDTsMIO-lDie0x3EdsvVzZ0IHzs_RQtrEw-UXWXIlN&sig=AHIEtbQn0VfFsw3gq8itAOGTx8m5MnjCDA).

So, while alpha hydroxy acids can cause skin and hair problems, certain ones which include citric acid can also be used successfully, it is suggested, for skin recovery from photo damaging.

It has been reported here that using mariika's recipe (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745) has resulted in scalp problems (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1250199&postcount=227) being helped that vinegar did not help with, and no hair dryness was reported. There may be a connection. The report I posted appears to support the study results.

Source: ktani http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1256231

Lemon peel extract: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/717950/CITRUS_MEDICA_LIMONUM_(LEMON)_PEEL_EXTRACT/
http://www.theresearchpedia.com/health/aromatherapy/health-benefits-of-lemon-essential-oil

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
And yes, a small but vocal couple of people are absolutely, adamantly insisting that this product has never, ever, caused any hair loss, in any person, at any time, that it is 100% impossible, and that all these people with hair loss are either liars, crazy, or imagining things.

That is why we are arguing. That's really the whole crux of the entire thing.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Do you see now, EtherialDoll? See how crazy she is?

Wads of fallen hair, personal testimonies, the word of licensed hair care professionals, (who have taken a lot more classes in hair care products than they have) and even the list of potentially harmful ingredients on the back of the g*ddanm bottle are simply not enough.

"No!" she cries "Impossible!" "You are all wrong wrong wrong!"

Audrey Horne
June 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I feel who's trolling now *puts on sunglasses* :D

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I think she is a troll. She got angry because I tried to educate her on ingredients she knew nothing about. lol Serves me for trying.

And what's more, she tries to say I don't care about what she had gone through and what others just like her had gone through, but I've clearly expressed my sympathy and understanding (even apologized in my first post about her experience) more than once. *facepalm* Doh.

Now I really think she's doing this on purpose...

ETA: Or he? Sorry for assuming. Habit.

EtherealDoll
June 20th, 2012, 07:57 AM
And yes, a small but vocal couple of people are absolutely, adamantly insisting that this product has never, ever, caused any hair loss, in any person, at any time, that it is 100% impossible, and that all these people with hair loss are either liars, crazy, or imagining things.

That is why we are arguing. That's really the whole crux of the entire thing.

So this thread is one word against another (sorry if I misunderstand, English is not my native language) ? Then it's better to just agree to disagree, I guess.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
caadam-

No, you're trolling because you cannot let it go, and insist on arguing. I don't know what it's going to take for you. Do you want all these people to "admit" they "made it all up" and that none of us had a bad reaction to it?

Audrey Horne
June 20th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think she is a troll. She got angry because I tried to educate her on ingredients she knew nothing about. lol Serves me for trying.

And what's more, she tries to say I don't care about what she had gone through and what others just like her had gone through, but I've clearly expressed my sympathy and understanding (even apologized in my first post about her experience) more than once. *facepalm* Doh.

Now I really think she's doing this on purpose...

ETA: Or he? Sorry for assuming. Habit.

That's what I was hinting at :whistle: Let's not feed the troll and just abandon the thread :pins::demon: She/he can continue. Let's not waste our time! *leaves*

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
That's what I was hinting at :whistle: Let's not feed the troll and just abandon the thread :pins::demon: She/he can continue. Let's not waste our time! *leaves*

Eh, yeah... good idea.

Officially over and out.

.... :flasher:

PolarCathy
June 20th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Polarcathy-

I don't have to prove anything to you and neither does anybody else. What makes you so important?

Holding big wads of my hair is the shower is plenty substantial. It didn't happen before the fructis, and when I stopped using the fructis, it stopped falling out. Plenty of others here had the same experience.

I cant figure out what you're deal is, or why you're even involved if you use water only, except you just must not want to be wrong.

Something must be very seriously wrong with your perception about reality. You are provoking me, openly insulting me for the third time in a row (not that I take it.. not from you) and so are you doing with others. May I ask how old you are? Or you take that as an offense too?

In which universe has anyone called you a cheater, aliar, accused you, provoked you? You're the one splashing around here. I would certainly be ashamed of myself if this was the way I introduced myself on a forum. Everybody can post a normal intro post except for you. Everyone.

No one was talking about me. The whole thread is about you, your accusations, your claims, no proof, no nothing, yahoo boards (woah!), and your splashing around, trying to engage in conflict with just about everyone. You keep people calling trolls when there's only one troll here and that's you?

The whole thing you see around yourself is a mirror. We live in a world of mirrors. The world mirrors you. Everybody is your enemy? Why do you think that? The world is not out there to get you... I'm happy and grateful that the world I see around myself is a very different one.

If this is the way you're hoping to reach 25 posts, that's not gonna happen.

There's no room for trolls here, I really hope. I'm gonna report your most offensive comments right now.

LadyHazel
June 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the warning I was in France just yesterday and was about to purchase 3 pots of ultra doux before I was browsing this in cite Europe Carrefour and put all 3 back!

swearnsue
June 20th, 2012, 08:54 AM
My favorite cheese is cheddar but sometimes I like a mild Jarlesburg.

Vanille_
June 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Januari is new to the forum. I am guessing she was not a 'lurker' beforehand. This particular forum has its own nuances and etiquette. I guarantee not all boards are created equal. My husband frequents business forums where it's completely acceptable to curse people out.

She probably had no idea this would turn out like this. We get very touchy on LHC when it comes to how one argues their point.

PolarCathy
June 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Januari is new to the forum. I am guessing she was not a 'lurker' beforehand. This particular forum has its own nuances and etiquette. I guarantee not all boards are created equal. My husband frequents business forums where it's completely acceptable to curse people out.

She probably had no idea this would turn out like this. We get very touchy on LHC when it comes to how one argues their point.

I looked her up yesterday, because I found this thread a little weird. She registered in September last year and she didn't post anything, not even an intro post, until this awesome opening post.

She's added to my ignore list now. Three so far. I discovered its existence just a week ago :) so much easier: ))))

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I looked her up yesterday, because I found this thread a little weird. She registered in September last year and she didn't post anything, not even an intro post, until this awesome opening post.

She's added to my ignore list now. Three so far. I discovered its existence just a week ago :) so much easier: ))))

I should've done this earlier... lol But now I have. :D

pepperminttea
June 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I don't know why you insist on ignoring the fact some people are having a problem with this product. All of these people, as well as the five or six others on this thread, are not just imagining things.

So it appears you, and a handful of others, are allergic to it. That's sad, but it's an easy solution; stop using it, and make a note of the ingredients list so you can isolate the problem if it ever happens again with another product.

But instead you've incited a needless panic, trolled your own thread and those who've offered you a sympathetic ear and tried to help you out with ingredients information, and attacked anyone who didn't have such a bad experience insisting they were calling you a "liar" for not having the same allergy. Does that not seem a little silly to you?

lapushka
June 20th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Let me get this straight. People who don't have the same experience? Liars. People who want to help you get to the bottom of this? Trolls. Jeeezus H. Christ. Who's trolling who.

long&blonde
June 20th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you!
I was hoping the shed on my weekly or twice a week shed was due to, sometimes it's been in the same braid throughout.

jeanniet
June 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Thank you!
I was hoping the shed on my weekly or twice a week shed was due to, sometimes it's been in the same braid throughout.
This thread got a little out of hand, lol, but I'm glad I was able to help. When hair is in a braid or bun, the hairs that would normally shed throughout the day stay there, so at the end of the day or whenever you take down your hair you may see a lot of shed hairs, but they're really just an accumulation. If I had my hair in a braid for 2-3 days and then combed it out, I would see a ton of shed hairs--probably well over 100. It sounds normal to me.

Januari
June 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM
This is the worst case of "bully the new girl" I have ever seen in my life, and I am leaving this forum never to return.

There was really no need to gang up on someone like a pack of wolves, just because they said fructis makes some people's hair fall out.

You're welcome to those who said they appreciated the warning :)

As for the internet bullies, you are nothing but a bunch of "Mean Girls."

jeanniet
June 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
No one ganged up on you. If you don't care that you may have an allergy, that's your issue, but many people read these threads and information posted here is for the benefit of all, and people should know that if they have this sort of reaction they need to determine the exact cause--beyond just blaming a product, because manynproductsnhave common ingredients. Allergic reactions can become worse over time, so if it really was due to allergy, I hope you don't get a very nasty surprise in the future. :whistle:

AutumnLocks
August 3rd, 2012, 07:06 AM
So sorry you had such a hard time. However, you could probably Google any hair product and get thousands of negative hits like that. I used Fructis every time I shampoo and haven't had a bit of problem with it. Do you think it's possible you have some other health problem going on? When I was diagnosed with diabetes I lost tons of hair. It was friehtening!