PDA

View Full Version : Does olive oil made a good deep conditioning/oil treatment?

Rufflebutt
June 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM
How do you guys oil your hair? I've heard of olive oil being used. And since I already use it in place of makeup remover, do you think it would be just as nourishing and moisturizing for hair?
Do you know any common ingredients I could add to make it more effective?

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't use olive oil often, but when I do, I use less than 1/4 of a cup of Bertolli extra virgin olive oil, on dry, clean hair. Leave it on overnight and shampoo it out the next day.

Leaves my hair soft and feeling great. I'm not a believer of adding stuff into olive oil. It's potent enough as is.

You might want to check out Heidi W's video tutorial on using coconut oil on hair.

She also has an article up in the Articles section.

ravenreed
June 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM
For some it works great, for others, not so much. My hair hates olive oil. It leaves my ends very crunchy.

spidermom
June 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
My hair loves warmed olive oil, but I don't use it very often because I don't like the scent of it. I like coconut oil much better. They work equally well, so I stick to the coconut oil.

ladylowtide
June 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
If I add a small amount of olive oil just to my already wet hair, it loves the olive oil.

caadam
June 17th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I LOOOOVE olive oil! lol It makes my hair so soft and silky and shiny. :D

But I hate coconut oil. It makes my hair feel like hay. </3 They don't work the same for everyone.

ETA: The only thing I use with olive oil is jojoba oil. I don't add anything else to it, and it works great.

PixxieStix
June 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM
My hair is in love with olive oil. I use it for deep treatments and it leaves my hair feeling so soft and looking super shiny. ^.^

letibear
June 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have not used olive oil myself, but I have heard great things about it. The first oils ever suggested to me were grapeseed/almond oil, they both worked wonderfully so I have yet to try any others.

swearnsue
June 17th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Olive oil by itself is perfect.

KylieAnne
June 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I love olive oil, I usually heat it up and slather it on then braid my hair or put it in a bun with a shower cap and towel over it. I like to leave it in while I sleep.

however I recently tried coconut oil and like it much better. I think it's easier to use and gives me much better results. I know some people on here have liquid coconut oil but mine is solid, you just get a little chunk and rub it between your hands to melt it then run it through your hair. I need a lot less to get even better results I find, plus a put a tiny bit on the end and length of my hair as a leave in. it never gets tangled when I do and is oh so shiny :)

however, your hair might be different. you might have better luck with olive oil than coconut or neither might work for you. I'd suggest trying them to find out though.

auburntressed
June 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I think olive oil is powerful if you need to restore moisture to your hair or keep moisture. I use it very seldom, though, for deep conditioning. I have found that even a small amount of olive oil sticks to my hair and won't wash out through several washes. So in the meantime, I'm left with hair that both looks and feels like a grease slick. Heh.

Though for some reason, it works fine if I use it only to oil the tassel of my braid. After braiding my hair, I'll open my olive oil jug and run my index finger around the rim of it. What comes off on my finger, I use to oil my tassel or two tassels after I have already braided. Then I pin up my braid or braids, and the oil seems to have soaked in completely by the time I take them down.

catamonica
June 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I use two capfuls of olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. Its great. Makes the hair softer. I also put a capful in my face cream. Also I add five capfuls of Aloe Vera gel to my conditioner. It makes my hair extra soft. Welcome to TLHC.

Tigermama
June 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I like olive oil for adding to any conditioner, as an overnight soak, or a very few drops to wet hair. Coconut oil makes my ends see through and then split. I've noticed the organic olive oil works better than the bargain pomace oil for me. Its great alone but I have used it over leave in conditioner with a great result.

Shiranshoku
June 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
For me, olive oil doesn't work. It takes several washes to get rid of it, and makes my already greasy hair totally depressed. My ends get all scrunchy too.

Plus I really don't like the scent!

But it works wonders for others, so I would try it if I were you!

I use baby oil myself. Two drops over damp hair, and a teeeny bit on my tassel when I braid. I spread the rest over the braid(s) to control flyaways and make them shine. It doesn't weigh my hair down or make it greasy, and washes out easily!

rajini4eva
June 18th, 2012, 01:58 AM
How do you guys oil your hair? I've heard of olive oil being used. And since I already use it in place of makeup remover, do you think it would be just as nourishing and moisturizing for hair?
Do you know any common ingredients I could add to make it more effective?

Hi,

Warm the olive oil a bit and add a tea spoon of the oil with coconut oil as a base... Works in keeping your hair soft, shiny and you get the benefits of using both oils... :cool::cool:

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM
My hair loves olive oil :) I either apply it to the length of my hair, massage my scalp with it, mix it will avocado and honey for deep conditioning, and I also use it to stimulate growth on my eyebrows and eyelashes :D It is an all in one product for me!

czech it out
July 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I mix olive oil and honey (a bit more oil than honey) and warm the mixture up for a deep conditioning treatment before washes. It works very well for my hair, but I've heard people complain of crunchiness. It hasn't been a problem for me though, and I haven't had difficulty washing it out either.

McFearless
July 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Do you know any common ingredients I could add to make it more effective?Olive oil is very effective on its own and doesn't need anything else. It can be used as a pre-wash treatment and a leave in conditioner.

Diamond.Eyes
July 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Olive oil is very heavy oil and I feel like it does a great job at moisturizing hair, but I feel that it leaves my hair too heavy after an oiling. I like coconut oil a lot better because it penetrates hair strands a lot easier than olive oil in my opinion.

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Olive oil is very heavy oil and I feel like it does a great job at moisturizing hair, but I feel that it leaves my hair too heavy after an oiling. I like coconut oil a lot better because it penetrates hair strands a lot easier than olive oil in my opinion.

This.

Before henna, I like to use coconut oil. It's a good oil to do prior to hair dyeing because it doesn't affect the coloring; but helps to keep hair from drying out.

But my hair hates hates hates olive oil for some reason. When I try to use it, it usually ends with my hair being super dry and crunchy...anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?

~maborosi~