PDA

View Full Version : Show me how you tie your hair scarves!

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hello, I have been seeing all the threads on veiling and covering lately and it's gotten me thinking about hair scarves. I do not cover for religious reasons, but I have always loves scarves and love wearing them. I like to wear them at the beach to protect my hair, and in winter I wear a silk scarf under my wool scarf to keep my hair smoother. I am pretty boring with how I tie them though. I usually just drape the scarf over my head, and bring one end of it around the back of my shoulders and down the front on the other side. so my head is covered and I have one scarf end in front of each shoulder. I like long scarves; I recently ordered a 70 inx15 in silk scarf from Mysterybuddha.com but it has not arrived yet. Does anyone have any ideas for tying a long scarf like this? I love the way Jewish ladies tie scarves but I am never sure if it would be offensive for a non-Jew to wear a scarf like that. I'm intrested in all creative scarf-tying ways. With or without hair showing, preferably with a bit showing in front. I have not had very good luck with square scarves which is why I stick to long ones now, but I have never had a silk long one before, so I am eager for mine to arrive. So if you wear a scarf for any purpose, share! :)

natural_shine
June 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I'm a big fan of scarves and I collect them and wear them a lot. I find them so unique... there are a lot of ways to use them, you can really get very inventive with them. The lenght of your hair, the way you want to use the scarf, how secure you want it to be, you want it to protect of just to hold and decorate- these all and many more are factors in how you decide tie it.

There are a lot of videos on youtube about using head scarves, and I found the most useful and inventive the ones submitted by afro girls, many of them seem to be very skillful at it, just as with cornrows.
Check them out, it's useless to post here, just search on youtube, there is really plenty of good information.

I personally use scarves both for holding and protecting, also- for the aspect of it. I cover my whole hair and make twists. It's good to use something under to protect the haor from friction, but I have no such problems, I don;t handle it much, and if I'm very active I secure the scarf with 2 hair clips, one on each side, and/or with a scrunchie, and it's enough for me. I wear it covered in a scarf most of the time, I like it a lot.

coneyisland
June 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM
Most of mine are square. I wear them folded on the diagonal, the folded edge just in front of my hairline, tied back at the nape. Sometimes I wear two square scarves together, tied the same way, with the lower one (first one on) first placed an inch or so lower on my forehead and folded back over the folded edge of the scarf worn over it.

I wear my big batik rayon wraps in hijab style, with a safety pin at the throat, and finished with a brooch at the side.

I have some long slim ones that I braid along with my hair sections in braids.

I wear most of my rectangular ones over my hair, starting with either long edge at the hairline, and tied at the nape under rear side buns.

To keep them from sliding, I wear non-slip hairbands under scarves having slick weaves.