PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good sleep style??

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
First off, here's a couple things you should know:
My hair is almost APL (about 1in to go! Yea!!)
I use a very slippery satin pillow case that I made myself.
I have been doing braids for bed but I dislike all the puff everyday.
I used a sleeping cap for awhile and liked it but it just makes my head sweat and itch too much.
So, I have an idea for a sleep style. I was wondering if I could put it in a low pony tail, then put a band every couple inches going down the tail so I had a total of three bands evenly spaced. Now, I don't use elastics at all, by bands I mean rings cut from a pair of tights. I am not able to upload a pic, but basically it would look like a very short version of Princess Jasmine's hair fromAladin. Would this be safe? It would keep it confined, and would still slide on the pillow, and the tights should not be damaging should they? I am not able to sleep with buns yet at my length because my hair is very thick. Even a sock bun doesn't work yet. Would this style be safe? Can you suggest any others? I plan to braid at night when my hair is longer, but for right now it's making me look like a pom pom. It's ok sometimes, but I would like to shake it up a bit and have another style too. Thanks so much for reading, and for any info. :)

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
You can try the princess jasmine hair do. It might work real well.

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM
You can try the princess jasmine hair do. It might work real well.
I suppose maybe I should try it...I mean, I could probably tell if it suddenly got a ton more damage, right?

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I know of a user on the site who uses that as her sleep style to keep her hair straight, but I can't recall her username. So, yes, it would be fine. :) also, since your hair is still pretty short, you can even just put all your hair into a satin sleep cap loose, and sleep like that. I've read about users who do that with much longer hair and wake up tangle-free. HTH! :flower:

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I know of a user on the site who uses that as her sleep style to keep her hair straight, but I can't recall her username. So, yes, it would be fine. :) also, since your hair is still pretty short, you can even just put all your hair into a satin sleep cap loose, and sleep like that. I've read about users who do that with much longer hair and wake up tangle-free. HTH! :flower:
That's good to know, thanks! I do love satin sleep caps, the problem is they really make my head itch. Where I live it is very hot and VERY HUMID in the summer. Grrrr. :p

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
That's good to know, thanks! I do love satin sleep caps, the problem is they really make my head itch. Where I live it is very hot and VERY HUMID in the summer. Grrrr. :p

You could also just sleep with your hair in a ponytail, since your hair is not even APL yet. Even when I had past APL hair I would sleep in just a ponytail held with a soft big scrunchie. Your hair won't get damaged, promise lol. It's only when your hair starts to get around mid-back length or waist and longer that a safe style is really needed. In my opinion anyways.

MintChocChip
June 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I can't see how that would be damaging. I say go for it. I think I might join you actually because as much as I love sleeping in my braids I hate the way my hair looks in the morning too.

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
You could also just sleep with your hair in a ponytail, since your hair is not even APL yet. Even when I had past APL hair I would sleep in just a ponytail held with a soft big scrunchie. Your hair won't get damaged, promise lol. It's only when your hair starts to get around mid-back length or waist and longer that a safe style is really needed. In my opinion anyways.
That is good to know! I am a little paranoid about my hair. It's at the stage where it never seems to grow nd I get very annoyed with it and threaten to kill it but then it looks nice one time and I forgive it! lol. We have a strange relationship, my hair and I. I think I view it too much as having a mind of it's own! :o

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 03:11 PM
That is good to know! I am a little paranoid about my hair. It's at the stage where it never seems to grow nd I get very annoyed with it and threaten to kill it but then it looks nice one time and I forgive it! lol. We have a strange relationship, my hair and I. I think I view it too much as having a mind of it's own! :o

Your hair will grow in time, you just gotta be patient. (Which is so hard, I know lol.) I think you should enjoy the freedom of your short hair and rock the simple ponytail! You will miss the ponytail when your hair gets longer. :)

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I can't see how that would be damaging. I say go for it. I think I might join you actually because as much as I love sleeping in my braids I hate the way my hair looks in the morning too.
We should both try it! I don't know if you use tights or nylons for bands, but I absolutely love them. They hold better than any elastic I ever had.

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Your hair will grow in time, you just gotta be patient. (Which is so hard, I know lol.) I think you should enjoy the freedom of your short hair and rock the simple ponytail! You will miss the ponytail when your hair gets longer. :)
Gaaah, I know. Patience is not my strongest virtue, I'm afraid. I do wear ponys sometimes, but I honestly preferit up or half up with a claw clip. I know DF prefers it down, and so does my mom, but I honestly like the feel better up. I feel much tidier and ready to take on the day. I blame my mom; when I was little my hair was past my waist and she always made sure the front was pulled neatly back. I just got used to the feel.

Tisiloves
June 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
We should both try it! I don't know if you use tights or nylons for bands, but I absolutely love them. They hold better than any elastic I ever had.

I love them, too.

On another point have you tried a topknot at night?

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Sorry, double post due to computer glitch!

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Just be sure that when you tie those strips of panytyhose that they are not real tight, especially the one closest to the scalp.

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I love them, too.

On another point have you tried a topknot at night?
Well, I don't really know how to do a topknot, but if it's like a bun I can't cause my hair is to thick at this length, and my layers are not cooperative. :(

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Just be sure that when you tie those strips of panytyhose that they are not real tight, especially the one closest to the scalp.
That's good advice, thank you! :)