PDA

View Full Version : Waist length (or BSL?) pros and cons

WaitingSoLong
June 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Ok, I remember being at waist length, actually, that was the length I was when I first came to TLHC (ok, maybe a little past) but I remember after waist I just HAD to do something to get my hair up or cut it off, which is how I found TLHC, looking for buns and such.

Anyway, I am just about to cut back to waist length. I am trying to remember the pros and cons of waist length to decide if this is really the length I want to cut back to.

As it is, I cannot stand my hair anymore. I have tried and failed several times to wear it down lately and it is a mad beast that gets caught and snagged and tangled so much it is not worth wearing down. I am one of those that don't see the point in having long hair if I can never wear it loose!

Currently, I am happy to wear a braid with a paranda most of the time. This is my compromise to wearing the length without the tangles and issues. Buns are getting to heavy for my head but I still need to be able to wear it up. I am thinking that waist length is long enough to still secure when needed but short enough to wear down on occasion and will be less hassle when washing, etc. Plus I could grow back to TBL in a year if I wanted, Classic in another year. I mean, hair DOES grow back.

I would lose 12 or so inches going back to waist.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear pros and cons of waist length and maybe even BSL. Thanks.

P.S. I am not fishing for compliments on my hair or want people to beg me not to cut. :cool: It is my hair, my decision and I am weighing my choices, that is all.

DarkCurls
June 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I know you don't want compliments, but I just have to say your hair is gorgeous. Sorry.

I'm at waist right now, so maybe I can help?

Pros:
- Can do most updos: okay, a French twist is out and I can't do a Gibson tuck anymore, but that's it really, except the buns designed for super-long hair. :D Hair is not heavy yet.
- Detangling: I detangle twice a week under the shower with tons of conditioner applied to my hair. Very quick.
- I wear my hair down all the time. Every single day. I joined the "wear your hair up for X amount of time" challenge to see if it makes any difference for my hair, but until now I've always worn my hair down and it's quite manageable & not destroyed even though I have dry, wurly hair that tangles easily (I think? Since I don't detangle often I don't really know). I know what you mean when you say you don't see the point of having long hair if you can't wear it down... I feel the same.

Cons:
- Feels short: really! I can't imagine the change from classic to waist. I think maybe an inch or two below waist would be a good compromise. :p I love long braids, and you do lose a bit of length when braiding.
- It still does get caught in things. Really. ^^ My hair gets caught in seat belts, straps of backpacks, nails on chairs, and in other people's jewelry. *has quiet funeral for hair* I mean, ouch.
- And, well... I can't really find any cons for any length of hair except it either feels too short or gets caught in everything -- and WL is both! :D

As for BSL, it's got most of the pros of WL, without the updo one. It's a bit harder to squeeze BSL into some updos (I mean, it was for me).

Kizuna
June 17th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I understand your decision and I can see why you want to have it shorter. I hope you will be happy with the length you choose. :)

I've never had longer hair than my current length (waist), but I'll give you the pros and cons I've found.
Pros:
- It's long enough to get into buns and braids.
- Half down styles looks great too
- It looks very nice when it's down
- It's long enough to be "long" in other peoples eyes
- I still manage to sleep with it out (not in a braid or bun) without having much tangle in the morning

Cons:
- buns won't be as big
- braid won't be as long
- it wants to tangle with the strap of my bag and sometimes get's caught in my jacket zipper

That's all I can think of for now :)

natt i nord
June 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Most things are said already, but I want to add to the cons:
- hair won't be heavy enough to stay on the back while free

I'm at midback and that's what's getting on my nerves most at that length. With the slightest movement my hair slides onto my shoulders and I see absolutely nothing.

bumblebums
June 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
It might not be a problem for your hair type, but my hair is at waist length now, and it is still light enough to fly around when the slightest breeze blows. So that's a bit annoying.

Other than that, WL is much better than BSL all around. BSL was a pain for many updos.

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM
BSL -

Pros - less to detangle
easier to shampoo

Cons - hairstyling very limited

WAIST -

Pros - "WOW" effect
Much more versatility in hairstyling

Cons - dealing with detangling often if you wear it down
(which would drive me nuts)

More time to shampoo

schweedie
June 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I very much enjoyed my hair at waist length. It felt long, but not so long that it was too much of a pain to wear it down (although it may not feel very long when you're cutting back from a longer length, I suppose). It was the perfect length for the buns I usually do - the ends tucked down easily - and I also found it to be a very aestethically pleasing length. :)

BSL... Well, I don't really remember many pros for that, other than easy to wear down and wash, and it drying quicker. Because I'm so short, my hair is short enough at BSL that I can't do much with it, updo-wise.

Amapola
June 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I'm finally down to waist and at last, it's long enough to stay back and does not fall to the front when it is down. I can still wear it down no problem, and can still sleep with it down no problem. At the same time, it's long enough that it will finally stay up when I put it up, and is not at all heavy.

When it was shorter, it continually fell into my face and refused to stay up. That might just be my hair, though. For me personally, waist length is far easier to live with.

Your hair really is beautiful, but as I've read posts here and gained a little knowledge about long hair, I've realized it is not for everybody. I mean, I think you have to decide how much you are willing to do to have it, and how much time you can put into it. And I've realized that it depends on your lifestyle, too. If I lived indoors all the time... But I don't. I live on a farm and I am constantly outside in the wind, sun, rain, snow etc so I just cannot leave my hair down all the time. I really understand the desire to cut.

juliaxena
June 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I can't really comment but I can imagine at WL you will have another reason for WOW factor - super pretty ends.

pink.sara
June 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Perhaps you could take 6 inches off and see how TBL feels for a while, and if wearing it down is still not practical then go to waist in a few weeks?

I don't know how thick your hair is but I remember it wasn't until tailbone I could do all the good buns, waist was a bit too short. And also it didn't tangle nearly as much as classic.

Also the slipping over the shoulder thing happened alot more at waist, tailbone tended to stay where it was put.

I am sure your ends will make your hair look stunning whichever length you choose though :)

lapushka
June 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'd try and cut back to (maybe TB or) hip first, as there might be some updos that WL can't do, but HL can, at least that's how it is for me with iii hair.

Vanilla
June 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I didn't wear my hair up all that often when I was at waist and BSL.

Detangling was an issue for me at both lengths, regardless. I didn't notice much of a difference in time it took to shampoo and detangle at both lengths. I found waist a little easier, as it sat nicer on my back and wasn't as inclined to get tangled in my bag straps as much as BSL was. The weight at waist length seemed to be just right for me.

meteor
June 17th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I'd try and cut back to (maybe TB or) hip first, as there might be some updos that WL can't do, but HL can, at least that's how it is for me with iii hair.
I absolutely agree!
I don't recommend doing it in one shot: you may be surprised at how different it feels. Try cutting back to hip or tailbone first: it should already make it easier to wear it down. If not, take off a couple more inches...
I remember having 6 inches cut off and feeling naked after.

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I was a bra strap length and liked it my hair was easy to style. It wasn't too long to get in the way. I also liked the fact I could bun and wear it up. Love my up dos. Cons I wish it was longer.

Mesmerise
June 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well let me just say that I would DEFINITELY not go straight back to BSL if I were you ;). Waist, to me, is the length where hair kinda gets "long", any shorter and it's just not long hair anymore!! (Maybe that's cause I've never made it longer than waist though :D).

The pros of waist length hair are... well it's still LONG but not necessarily unmanageably long. You'll be able to wear it up and down!

BSL is the same... but shorter... you can do a lot with most BSL hair, still... but... yeah... shorter :(.

Honestly I'd probably only cut back to hip or so to start off with, and see how you feel with it that length. If it feels hideously short at hip, then don't go any further!! You'll probably find it heaps easier than it is now, and you've still got long hair by most people's standards. If hip is still too long, then go to waist.

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I am going to be watching this thread very carefully because ever since getting to hip length, my hair has been such a pain and I've rarely been able to wear it down and I, too, have been thinking about cutting it back to waist. I remember waist length hair very well, for I was at waist for quite a while, so I will add my input:

Pros:
- Easier to detangle
- Easier to manage
- Easier to wear down, for it won't be completely in the way
- Easier to wear down because it won't poof or tangle as easily
- Can still put hair up with hair toys
- Waist-length hair is still long hair, so it won't make you any less unique
- Dries faster
- Depending on your taper, hair could look thicker
- With less hair, less hair product would have to be used and money could be saved
- If you like to swim, hair won't be a hassle!

Cons
- When braided it looks much shorter, so might lose that unique/long factor
- Also looks much shorter when curled, also losing that unique/long hair factor

There are definitely more pros than cons in terms of waist-length hair, but the cons that I have listed might be a very important factor to you or many of us, who grow our hair out to very long lengths because it's unique and beautiful. I know that is a major reason why I have not cut my own back to waist yet, long hair is just so mystical and beautiful. But also a pain in the butt. Haha.

On a personal note, I know if I cut my hair I would be able to use Sun-In on it without worrying about too much damage, and be able to swim a lot this summer without worrying as much and that my waves would be enhanced. I have natural beach hair and the longer it's getting the more it seems to be going away due to it being weighed down. I have to choose between beach hair and long hair, it's so sad that I want both! :brickwall

MiamiPineapple
June 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I am bascially at BSL (a little below the top of strap) and I hate it. There is really nothing fun about this length. I think waist is a wonderful length.

jeanniet
June 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM
If I were you I would cut back to hip first, because it's a little more versatile as far as updos go without giving you a lot more length. I think waist-hip is a pretty good middle ground--long enough for many updos (especially when you have less than iii hair), but short enough that it doesn't get caught in everything and would be easier to detangle. I'm currently planning on growing to classic and wonder how the management will be, but I really only wear it down in the house so the tangling due to that isn't much of an issue for me.

<3OnHerSleeve
June 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I made the decision to cut a while ago, so no judgments here. Your hair is gorgeous but if you are more comfortable and it is better for you and your hair's maintenance to cut it good for you.

Waist is obviously a good length for updos etc, whereas BSL not so much. BSL is definitely not my favourite length in the world, too short for some things, too long for others :P.

Although the good thing for cutting waist (at least I did this when I hacked off all my hair) was to cut it length by length until I stopped feeling comfortable. So I'd strongly suggest if you're wondering about BSL, maybe first cut to waist, then to midlength if you still want shorter, that way it won't take ages to grow back if you decide it's not for you :)

If you're not absolutely sure about cutting your hair to waist, then you apply the same principle: cut to TBL, then to Hip then finally to Waist. I left about anywhere between 2 days to a week between cuts to see how I felt.

I hope you are comfortable with whatever decision you make :)

WaitingSoLong
June 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Wow so many awesome replies. I was honestly not sure what to expect with replies.

In general, I agree that BSL is probably too short. I did like some cuter styles I did around that length, like pigtails but I am probably too old to pull that off anymore. Updos are a must, I have to wear it up for work or wear a whole hair covering, which I am not wanting to do. Headbands and buns are easier. I also have to wear it up at home most of the time. Cooking (stoves) and horses, mowing, gardening...sweat+ loose hair= NO.

I also think hip may be a good compromise to a starting point because I cut back to TBL last October and it really didn't help any of the issues I am having now. However I would really like to be able to got to bed without a sleep cap or braid. I will never give up my silk pillow cases, though. I think hip was borderline on this issue, I can't remember.

As for the WOW factor, I get it ALL THE TIME when I wear my hair down and sometimes people's comments irritate me. Yesterday a woman said (from behind me) "you've never cut your hair in your life, have you?" And all I could think is that SURELY this woman has seen longer hair than mine? Does she really think it takes a whole life to get to my rear-end? If it wasn't for the fact I would get a million comments on the haircut itself, I would actually welcome the reprieve from the weird comments I get from strangers. And one lady asked if she could hold my braid (?- I think she wanted to see if it was real or something) and I was like "uh...." and stepped away and she picked it up anyway. I was polite (because I can't not be, I don't have it in me) but now when I am actually close to people I hold my braid or pull it over my shoulder.

My hair slips in front of me no matter how long it is, it just goes around the shoulder instead of up and over. And breezes catch it even more...there is more to catch I guess. My hair is pretty wispy and tangly.

I have been over my hair for awhile but keep pushing through because I am terrified of haircut regret. The whole cut or not to cut issue has been done to a nuisance so I won't go there. I have lists I make and I have yet to convince myself I will be happy with a cut. But I am trying to at least decide...IF I cut...what exactly to cut off. If I cut back to waist I could be back at Classic in 2 years.

I had intended to have knee length hair at some point but I am not sure I could EVER wear it down. My hair texture is just too "flyaway".

I think I could manage the standard buns with waist length...nautilus, lazy wrap, hypno, infinity, cinnamon, gibralter, celtic...I guess I am wondering if waist is short enough to make a difference on the manageability or not.

lacefrost
June 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
WSL, I think it's a smart decision to cut up to hip but I would still do it in stages. Like, tomorrow go to TBL. Wait a week. Then Hip. Wait a week and then Waist. Wait a week. Who knows, maybe TBL is long and short enough or you may decide that you want to just shave it all off!

WaitingSoLong
June 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Oh Lacefrost don't temp me to shave it all off, I have always wanted to!

GrowingGlory
June 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM
If you do shave it off, please consider having a wig made!

WaitingSoLong
June 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Oh I think I would keep it.

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wow so many awesome replies. I was honestly not sure what to expect with replies.

In general, I agree that BSL is probably too short. I did like some cuter styles I did around that length, like pigtails but I am probably too old to pull that off anymore. Updos are a must, I have to wear it up for work or wear a whole hair covering, which I am not wanting to do. Headbands and buns are easier. I also have to wear it up at home most of the time. Cooking (stoves) and horses, mowing, gardening...sweat+ loose hair= NO.

I also think hip may be a good compromise to a starting point because I cut back to TBL last October and it really didn't help any of the issues I am having now. However I would really like to be able to got to bed without a sleep cap or braid. I will never give up my silk pillow cases, though. I think hip was borderline on this issue, I can't remember.

As for the WOW factor, I get it ALL THE TIME when I wear my hair down and sometimes people's comments irritate me. Yesterday a woman said (from behind me) "you've never cut your hair in your life, have you?" And all I could think is that SURELY this woman has seen longer hair than mine? Does she really think it takes a whole life to get to my rear-end? If it wasn't for the fact I would get a million comments on the haircut itself, I would actually welcome the reprieve from the weird comments I get from strangers. And one lady asked if she could hold my braid (?- I think she wanted to see if it was real or something) and I was like "uh...." and stepped away and she picked it up anyway. I was polite (because I can't not be, I don't have it in me) but now when I am actually close to people I hold my braid or pull it over my shoulder.

My hair slips in front of me no matter how long it is, it just goes around the shoulder instead of up and over. And breezes catch it even more...there is more to catch I guess. My hair is pretty wispy and tangly.

I have been over my hair for awhile but keep pushing through because I am terrified of haircut regret. The whole cut or not to cut issue has been done to a nuisance so I won't go there. I have lists I make and I have yet to convince myself I will be happy with a cut. But I am trying to at least decide...IF I cut...what exactly to cut off. If I cut back to waist I could be back at Classic in 2 years.

I had intended to have knee length hair at some point but I am not sure I could EVER wear it down. My hair texture is just too "flyaway".

I think I could manage the standard buns with waist length...nautilus, lazy wrap, hypno, infinity, cinnamon, gibralter, celtic...I guess I am wondering if waist is short enough to make a difference on the manageability or not.

I am at hip length, and I have to say that it is SO much harder to manage than waist length. Waist length was so easy to manage, and not heavy at all, but once I got to hip I realized how heavy and hard it is to handle. If I noticed that big a difference with only about 4-5 inches of extra hair, then you will definitely have hair MUCH easier to handle with about a foot or more of hair gone.

I agree with what everyone is saying- cut to tailbone length or hip length, and if it still isn't easier to manage, go to waist. If that doesn't suit your fancy and you miss the length, hip-length is only a couple months away from waist. :flower:

Not Lynn Merely
June 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I am currently just past tailbone, possibly with a few hairs hitting classic.

Waist-length pro (for me):
I was much less likely to give a bit of hair a trim when shaving my legs in the shower (before I wised up and started bunning it to shave).

Waist-length cons:
If you cut your own hair, it is going to be more difficult.
When you run your fingers through your hair, and stretch your arm out...your hair falls from your fingers long before it should, and it feels wrong. *shudders*

When my hair was waist-length, it wasn't really any easier to wear down. I didn't accidentally sit on it, but it still got caught, fell everywhere, snarled, and got clumpy at the ends.

Vanille_
June 17th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm at just starting to pass waist length now. I have to say, it's definitely more work than I thought but I do like it. I don't get many comments on the length from strangers - so I haven't had any awkward situations. It's long enough that my favorite style is a Dutch braid. My hair also falls in front of me no matter what. It's annoying. My hair doesn't tangle much at waist - I'm sure it will probably be easier to detangle for you.

WaitingSoLong
June 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Waist-length cons:
If you cut your own hair, it is going to be more difficult.
When you run your fingers through your hair, and stretch your arm out...your hair falls from your fingers long before it should, and it feels wrong. *shudders*

I was actually trying to decide if I COULD cut my own hair back to waist or not. I am not sure I could.

And the second statement above is something I would have said LOL. It is stuff like that I dread or wonder about. Which I guess is why I consider BSL, too. It is all short to me.

annah
June 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Perhaps you could take 6 inches off and see how TBL feels for a while, and if wearing it down is still not practical then go to waist in a few weeks?

I don't know how thick your hair is but I remember it wasn't until tailbone I could do all the good buns, waist was a bit too short. And also it didn't tangle nearly as much as classic.

Also the slipping over the shoulder thing happened alot more at waist, tailbone tended to stay where it was put.

I am sure your ends will make your hair look stunning whichever length you choose though :)

Ditto this. I'm just at hip length, and my hair will finally stay over my shoulder if I put it there. It's just long enough to get some of the cooler bun styles.

At waist length, I couldn't do anything, and my cinnamon bun was tiny. I ended up with a ponytail daily because I couldn't find anything else to do with it.

trillian
June 18th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Currently, I am happy to wear a braid with a paranda most of the time.

I do this all the time with my waist length hair. In fact, I made several parandas longer than necessary so I can put my hair up in the complicated buns that I see some of you longer haired folks wearing.

Given how it seems like you like to wear your hair, I don't think you would lose that many styling options by going back to waist, and you would gain wear down-ability.

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I'm kinda at waist, my sides are shorter and want to come over the shoulders. I wear it down 99&#37; of the time. It tangles but that's what my hair does. Its easier than bra strap length for me. I can do figure 8 buns when I want it up. I don't know how to do a lot of updo's because my hair pulls so bad I hate to attempt updo's. The care is pretty much, brush it, oil it, pre-oil it deep condition it. Occasionally I give it a little protein. The care isn't bad. At bra strap, I did not have to deep condition it but I also color the mess out my hair so yours may need less conditioning than mine at waist. Your hair will be dream hair at any length I think. I envy that straight texture so darn much it should illegal!!! I know you've been wrestling with this awhile so you aren't rushing into anything. I'm still tempted to say, cut back to tailbone and see. However, you say you did that awhile back and it wasn't working. I just trimmed another inch off mine trying to get away from the near V I have going on in back, so I can't say keeping hair is always the way to go. Be HAPPY!

WaitingSoLong
June 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Given how it seems like you like to wear your hair, I don't think you would lose that many styling options by going back to waist, and you would gain wear down-ability.

This is what I was thinking, too.

I know you've been wrestling with this awhile so you aren't rushing into anything.

I have been. A long time. I am too chicken to actually go through with anything.

I am currently working on my hair product assortment to see if this could change my tangle issues and wear-down-ability. I keep reverting to oils (trying different ones) but I think I need to give up on that. My hair likes cones, not oils. I finally got a good conditioner again since Pantene came back out with the Ice Shine. I need to stop oilng my hair but I use the oils in place of hairspray to tame the halo. However, if I never put it on my ends, maybe it would be the answer. It takes so much time to try all the different combos because ONE try does not a conclusion make.

I have a saying: When in doubt...don't. At this rate I may as well grow to term with FTE's. LOL

Puertoricangirl
July 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
My hair is a little below BSL right now and I REALLY miss my hair when it was like 2 inches below waist!

BSL pros- *Less hairs fall into my behind in the shower lol
*Easier to detangle and apply conditioner or oils

BSL cons- *It is medium length to me and does not go under my breasts, but it does go under my bra strap at the back. I think it might be because I am a size D?
*If you have layers and bangs like I do it makes your hair feel way thinner than it would be without them!
*Not long enough for braids to look nice if you have layers.
*You might miss your long hair like I do :( but you have to remember that hair will grow back eventually with patience.

Waist length pros- *Sooo pretty down loose and in updos!
*Long in my opinion but not too long

Waist length cons- *Gets tangled easily
*Gets layed on by your lover or children
*Needs more product than BSL

Nae
July 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
You know what I would do? Just for fun and stuff? I would write out a notebook of what exactly works for you at what length.

So, I would make a note of what you like about this length. Then trim it back to TB, mess with that for like a week. What hairstyles work really well for you at that length? What are failures? Ect.

Then I would trim it back more. I mean what other way will you have perfectly blunt ends at these milestones unless you stall there for a long time OR if you are working backwards?

I always forget what exactly worked for me at what length and you have the perfect opportunity to try it out and get some serious data about your hair. It would be fun.

That way if you DO go all the way back to BSL you have a reference guide for the future! (But I would imagine that would be a huge shocker change so don't do that all at once lol!)

Rufflebutt
July 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I've had long hair my whole life. I had to thighs at one time, even.

Honestly, since I grew up with it I've never noticed how much people seem to have trouble wearing their hair down when long.
But maybe since I've had long hair so long, I find it really easy to keep my hair from getting snagged and tangled constantly.

All I do is sweep it wherever I need to to keep it out of the way. Over one shoulder to sit down, hold up my hair while putting on a backpack and gently laying it on TOP of the strap, pushing my hair back or putting it up if I need to do something that requires my hair to be out of the way. It's not hard and it rarely gets snagged or tangled. But my hair is very easily finger-combed.

WaitingSoLong
July 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM
That is a great idea, Nae, and if I ever decide to cut I will probably do that!

Wildcat Diva
July 4th, 2012, 07:02 AM
You can always try waist first, or a bit longer, then if you don't like it and want to cut to BSL later. Can cut hair in a minute, can't grow it back in a minute.

XcaliburGirl
July 4th, 2012, 08:02 AM
WSL, ask yourself if you are going to keep wondering about this for over a year if you don't do it. In that time you could have cut and have grown halfway back to your current length.

Although I am currently at shoulder length, I've grown to classic and then chopped to APL/BSL twice with no doubts or worries because I just matter-of-factly decided that it annoyed me to sit on my hair. (Ah, the blissful pre-LHC days of not caring.) That was kind of nice because my hair was always changing, but usually long enough to bun. Then I chopped to chin, grew to APL, then chopped to pixie because I have never had really short hair and I wanted to know if it was for me. (It wasn't.)

I've never truly regretted any of my chops because I knew the wondering about it would just keep bothering me and that I could always grow it back again. I do occasionally shake my fist and shout to the heavens "Curse you, past XcaliburGirl!" when my current length is annoying me or when I realize how much longer my hair would be if I had tried pixie length before growing chin length to APL.

I like Nae's idea about going up the length "ladder" to write down how each length feels. If you do that, please post some of your notes.

You might also want to read through the BSL to Waist and Waist to Hip/Tailbone threads to see what they are complaining about. It might give you a good insight on what each length entails.

As for people's comments, there are a surprising number of people who won't even notice a cut from say classic to hip or even waist, because it's all "really long" to them. Eventually you'll run through the list of people who will comment on the change and then you'll get fewer comments from strangers overall.

Good luck with your decision!

WaitingSoLong
July 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
WSL, ask yourself if you are going to keep wondering about this for over a year if you don't do it. In that time you could have cut and have grown halfway back to your current length.

I've grown to classic and then chopped to APL/BSL twice with no doubts or worries because I just matter-of-factly decided that it annoyed me to sit on my hair. (Ah, the blissful pre-LHC days of not caring.)

You might also want to read through the BSL to Waist and Waist to Hip/Tailbone threads to see what they are complaining about. It might give you a good insight on what each length entails.

It would take me 2 years to grow from waist to Classic at least (because of necessary trims). That is about 12" for me and I grow 6" a year with no trims (tho not this year...grrr...)

Ah yes, not caring, but I also regretted almost every major cut I have ever had which is why I am in such a dilemma.

I have visited those thread but mostly to look at pictures. Good idea.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have nothing of value to add, but I just wanna say.

YOUR HAIR IS BLOODY GORGEOUS.

That will be all :P

Mahealani
July 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I absolutely agree!
I don't recommend doing it in one shot: you may be surprised at how different it feels. Try cutting back to hip or tailbone first: it should already make it easier to wear it down. If not, take off a couple more inches...
I remember having 6 inches cut off and feeling naked after.
I agree completely. And I had 6'' chop too and oh boy it made the difference in the feeling (like something is missing). Hence I prefer gradual change. Less stressful. But that's just me.

Well, if you gradually cut it shorter and shorter, you can easily find the best length to make you happy and your needs satisfied. If you do it in one chop, especially from CL to BSL, it may be quite a shock. AND you are never too old to have pig tails (I'm your age BTW), but it is a bit funny feeling having them after all that time.

I agree, if TBL had the same feeling, then maybe the hip would be better solution. I can't comment on sleeping caps cause never had one. Even at CL I slept either with hair tossed behind the pillow or loosely braided.

People would give comments on my hair no matter what my length was, so don't expect that with the new length would be any better, just different ones. You have only two options, talk back (nicely or not its up to current mood) or just ignore/overhear (or what's the expression) them.

You have answered it yourself. Best to do it gradually so there will be no regrets. Why suffer if you can prevent it by taking it slow in finding the perfect new length, right?

I had the same goal, but stopped at CL, then started to have more and more headaches when I had bun, hence chopped it gradually to TBL. I have this "flyaway" hair too. Every time I wash, they're all over hehe. But I got used to it. So, my fluffy sista, I feel your "pain". ;) (I call my freshly washed hair, the fluffy hair, hope I haven't insulted you by that).

Well it all depends on your type and thickness mostly, and then the length I think. I have slippery silky fluffy hair so when braiding or putting it into bun, I have challenge lol .

Mahealani
July 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
This is what I was thinking, too.

I have been. A long time. I am too chicken to actually go through with anything.

I am currently working on my hair product assortment to see if this could change my tangle issues and wear-down-ability. I keep reverting to oils (trying different ones) but I think I need to give up on that. My hair likes cones, not oils. I finally got a good conditioner again since Pantene came back out with the Ice Shine. I need to stop oilng my hair but I use the oils in place of hairspray to tame the halo. However, if I never put it on my ends, maybe it would be the answer. It takes so much time to try all the different combos because ONE try does not a conclusion make.

I have a saying: When in doubt...don't. At this rate I may as well grow to term with FTE's. LOL
Have you tried Schwartkopf's GLISS hair repair leave in spray? It has liquid keratin complex in it and it's fab. Its oil nutritive express repair conditioner, smells heavenly and detangling is wow easy. It is especially aimed at us long haired people, has stuff in it to prevent split ends... and its relatively cheap. Its about 3€ for 200ml.

WaitingSoLong
July 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Well I am still contemplating this decision but have decided waist is probably what I may end up with if I cut. My hair is thin enough to manage updo's at that length but it is still long. It is more manageable...a compromise in wear-down-ability and up's. I have deicded not to cut anything until after summer, as I have to have it up for work/chores all the time and I don't want to deal with a new length when I have so much going on. Since I don't consider my hair to be at TRUE Classic yet, I will probably wait until the end of the year. But something is going to have to give b/c I couldn't even wear it down for 10 minutes yesterday, I am constantly sitting on it or it is snagging. I just...it's so annoying. I just don't like it anymore. Maintaining long hair just to wear it down for a few special occasions is not worth it IMO. I like how it looks in pictures, but in motion it really doesn't look that way at all.

I will probably cut back in stages. DH is encouraging me to cut at this point because all I do is complain about my hair. There are a few things keeping me, still, from having a finite decision to cut. Actually, several things. But what I have to do is decide if I even look good with my hair loose. If I want to cut to be able to wear my hair loose, what is the point if I think I look awful that way?

Anyway, this thread has been really useful in helping me decide on a length. Thanks everyone.

WaitingSoLong
July 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
In case anyone is still checking this thread...

UPDATE: I have made the decision to cut back to hip. It would be about 8" total shorter. I haven't decided if I will do it myself or go get it done.

I wore my hair down today in desperate attempt to convince myself I like my hair and I just DON'T. I like how pretty it is in still pictures but in reality, in movement, it is a serious PITB and I am OVER IT. At this point, I am not interested in growing past Classic at all. If my hair could be a pretty picture I hang on the wall and observe at it grows, I would grow to term. But it's not. It is stuck to my head and I must wrestle with it every day and I am just thinking super-long hair is not for me. It's cool. It's been interesting, but I think I will live not knowing what beyond Classic feels like. I just don't care anymore. Maybe I will care again some day. It will grow, I can grow to knee in some future year perhaps.

I will not cut back in stages to hip because I cut back to TBL last October and did not notice a difference in manageability at all. Hip will be a starting point. I may go shorter but I will try hip for awhile first. Aesthetically, it is still long and pretty and I can to the HIP length decision because I know I can still do all the buns I do not at hip length (this I tested the best I could today). The blunter ends (much less taper at hip, if any) will be difficult at first, I know.

I will invoke the two week rule but really I have been contemplating this for so long now.

I am actually excited about it and SO tempted to do it today but I know better. I reserve the right to change my mind, which is what the 2 week rule is all about. But I have a feeling that if I chicken out, I will eventually do it. It IS just hair. I have really given it a more lofty place than it deserves.

torrilin
July 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you're making the right decision. To me, loose is just unacceptable past BSL, but loose also isn't something I enjoy a whole lot.

Also I am totally wanting pictures when it's done :).

racrane
July 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I know you don't want compliments, but I do think your hair is very pretty. :)

I know this thread is long and I haven't read it all, I just wanted to say I like my hair best at waist. It's still long enough to do all the styles I like, but I can still keep it down, too.

I say trim and like you said, hair does grow back. If nothing else, you can keep it down a lot more. Anyway, have fun either way!

McFearless
July 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Waist length is my absolute favorite and I can't wait to get back to that milestone. It is just long enough that the hair has weight to it and isn't as floaty/poofy, but it is short enough not to have damage on the ends when taken care of and I find it flatters me the best. Plus I could wear it down with ease and not have it caught in belts, couches, etc like those with longer hair.
The only con I can think of is needing more conditioner and oil than shoulder and apl but that is a given.

I think you decision to go half way at first is a good one. Good luck!

WaitingSoLong
July 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks! I think I will have a hard time waiting the 2 weeks. I will definitely take pictures.

prettykitty
July 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I've never had hair as long as yours, but I can imagine it would be hard to manage!
I'm at waist now, and for me wearing it down is a hassle. I have to detangle it several times a day if down, and avoid wind like the plague. I can do some good updos, though I could probably still do them at BSL. The good thing about BSL was that I could blow dry it occasionally and not feel too bad about it, and I could wear it down more often with less drama.
Gee, the more I think about it, the more I'm contemplating cutting back to BSL myself! It would certainly solve the 'fairy tale length' thing I have going on, damn hair loss.

FrozenBritannia
July 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hip sounds like a great place to start. You'll have to let us know your pros and cons of hip after you have experienced it for a while!

WaitingSoLong
July 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I've never had hair as long as yours, but I can imagine it would be hard to manage!
I'm at waist now, and for me wearing it down is a hassle. I have to detangle it several times a day if down, and avoid wind like the plague. I can do some good updos, though I could probably still do them at BSL. The good thing about BSL was that I could blow dry it occasionally and not feel too bad about it, and I could wear it down more often with less drama.
Gee, the more I think about it, the more I'm contemplating cutting back to BSL myself! It would certainly solve the 'fairy tale length' thing I have going on, damn hair loss.

You can trim without going all the way back to BSL. I am actually thinking I will be above hip after I trim but hip was the closest recognized length so whatever. LOL. You are tempting me to go back to waist. When I am out and about, I think waist is a really pretty length to look at, especially if it is V cut but I don't prefer V cuts on myself. But a lot of the hair I have been admiring is more between BSL and waist somewhere.

WaitingSoLong
July 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Ok I suppose I am just talking to myself here, like working things out out loud, but I am leaning towards waist again. First...I could get a free haircut this way(12"), second it is still long enough for updos, 3rd, my ultimate goal (very long term) is to have all virgin hair. It was Classic length virgin but since I am not liking Classic very much...

If I cut back to waist, that leaves me with almost 50&#37; virgin hair, or about 12" of non-virgin hair I can trim off over the years as I grow back to Classic, if that is what I choose to do. Otherwise, I can trim it off as I maintain waist or whatever.

No decision made yet. Just thinking still.

patienceneeded
July 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Please post pics if you do make the decision to cut! You hair will be gorgeous whatever length you choose to go back to.

trillian
July 19th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Ok I suppose I am just talking to myself here, like working things out out loud, but I am leaning towards waist again. First...I could get a free haircut this way(12"), second it is still long enough for updos, 3rd, my ultimate goal (very long term) is to have all virgin hair.

Know what? If I'm being perfectly honest - I think you ought to do it! Go for waist. I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that most people outside of LHC won't notice that you cut your hair. You said yourself earlier in this thread that if you cut back to waist, and didn't like it that you could grow back in two years. That's not that long in the grand scheme of things.

Photos if you do - photos if you don't!

Cheers.

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Can I throw in my 3 cents? Sorry--I have a lot of jumbled thoughts from reading the thread, so I'll just list:
--You are not too old for pigtails. I'm 38 and people love them on me.
--Superlong hair sounds good to me, but I feel you on the unwarranted attention. Compliments are nice, though. I'm at midback, which looks BSL because of curl, and I get compliments all the time. That may not have anything to do with length, though. Hmm.
--Of course to us here, anything above hip looks medium, but having just come from the "other side," so to speak, waist is long. I will say that waist in a V does not look long. Blunt waist does. Hip or TB in a V-hem looks long, and may give the advantage of shorter hair while maintaining the wow factor. But one of the things I love about your hair is that you're one of the few with a body type that looks good with a blunt hem. And your hair is so straight that a V might not look right. And maybe you really don't like V-hem. OK, enough on that.
--Snags happen at mid-back, too. Today at work I got my hair caught on a shelf, in the metal fencing at the edge of the shelf. And it was in a ponytail. It gets in the way of the seatbelt, my purse strap, etc.
--I identify with whomever said her hair tangles; that's the nature of it. But that's a curly thing, too: finger comb out what you can and leave the rest til wash day; no one will notice. :lol:
--I haven't gotten there yet, but is there a significant difference between TBL and hip? It seems a short distance. But then, on me it's only 2 inches. Maybe I'm short-waisted.

OK, that's all I have. Please keep in mind I've only ever been to waist in my life. I just had some thoughts. Whatever you do, you're right; it's only hair. :flowers:

Seeshami
July 20th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I think if you are wanting to try something cut it the smallest amount you want to just chop off and see if you like it. Give it a week or two and then cut again if need be. I was very unhappy with the naughty mess a month or two ago and decided 3 inches had to go. I don't; miss them, worry about them or care much now that it's done, but it helped me like my hair again.

3 inches of Naughty Mess is also an amount I do not fear coming after me. Yes they could knot themselves together to strangle me to death but I doubt it and the remaining hair monster didn't even seem to notice I dared to take scissors to his personage. :D

ravenheather
July 20th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Just want to say that I can't wait to see what you decide.

Falcore
July 20th, 2012, 05:49 AM
--I haven't gotten there yet, but is there a significant difference between TBL and hip? It seems a short distance. But then, on me it's only 2 inches. Maybe I'm short-waisted.

TBL is the middle of your butt.. so that's a fair distance from hip IMO.

WaitingSoLong
July 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
TBL is a gray area. Some count the bottom of the coccyx as TBL, other the most protruding part of the base of the spine. It is right at BCL for me. TBL seems hard to grow past because once you hit it, there is this like 3 inch gray area you have to pass before you are MBL. Everyone's anatomy differs so all these measurements/length standards are subjective.

I am barely at Classic but at a glance, I just look TBL.

Also, hip is the same way, some people go by the hip bone, others by the fleshy round just elow the waist. To me, there is less to go from waist to hip than from hip to TBL by the latter standard, but by the former, it is the opposite. I see a lot of people post on T LHC and say they are hip length but they just look slightly past waist to me. Whatever!

WaitingSoLong
July 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Oh and by the by, I still cannot make up my mind. Last night I had myself convinced to cut ALL the sun-in out and have 12" layered hair (the actual strands 12"). It would actually be about BSL if I did that, but then I woudl be down to virgin hair with no sun-inned hair to trim off as it grows. Ultimately, it would take me longer to regrow it that way.

I spent a long time determining what term would be on me and trying to figure out how long it would take my hair to become all virgin without ever cutting it due to natural shedding. I decided it would be at least 10 years. I think I could still potentially hit term at age 50 if I cut back instead. But I never said I wanted to grow to term...but I haven't counted it out...

I honestly don't think I gain any wear-down-ability by just going back to waist. But I would lose a lot of updo's if I went shorter. My hair is quite a bit thicker in the virgin parts but those are just getting to 10" or so. It varies.

I know I have nape waves and a cowlick in the back of my head off to one side. Anything shorter than BSL gets wonky and I always resorted to heat styling to keep it straight when it was that short. The thing is, long hair is long hair, whether BSL or Classic, it all looks the same when in up-do's. I doubt I will cut unless I have a good wear-down style and I can't do fringe...ever...it looks horrid on me. Otherwise, it benefits me more to keep it long and have tapered ends for securing in buns.

I am trying to decide if I want to be stuck with the up-do look forever. WHat is ME? I think crazy long weirdo hair is ME. But I miss the variety of shorter hair. Sure we have all sorts of updo's here but IRL no one notices any difference. Up is up, whether a rose bun or nautilus, all others see is "up" and from the front that is a bald sort of look for a woman.

I usually wear braids as opposed to loose. At least then I can wear the length without the tangles and fuss. SIGH. I will never make up my mind, really. I just can't decide what I really want. At this point, I am not afraid of losing the length, it will grow back, but I don't want to cut just to have shorter hair I still don't like.

When it doubt...don't, that is my saying. But sometimes I feel trapped!

FrozenBritannia
July 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Waitingsolong I might have an experiment for you to try, which might maybe help eith the decision process.
I went to school with a lot of East Indian kids, and one of them had the most gorgeous long hair, past her butt, but I never knew it was that long till I saw her fixing it after a sleepover. She always wore it in a braid with the end folded up.

What if you put your hair in a braid, and folded it up to the length it would be if you cut your hair to hip or waist, and wear it like that for a few days? See how much if any difference it makes? You could fold it up higher too- she always had hers folded to about APL.

It won't help so much with the concept of wearing it loose I suppose.

Just a thought.

firegypsy
July 20th, 2012, 01:36 PM
what a tough choice!

after reading this thread from beginning to end my two cents is that you should go to waist. you really seem to keep coming back to that. Once you do that, if you feel you don't gain wear-down-ability then you can go to BSL, or cut all non-virgin hair, but it won't be a shock or a decision that you regret as much as taking off everything you have now to BSL or shorter.

Waist, as you've said, still offers a LOT of styles. SO does BSL, frankly. I'm at APL and I can still do quite a bit! BSL will offer more variety, but my point is that you can still do a bunch at BSL.

I'd say at this point (if you're asking) go waist. Wait 2 weeks at least. If you're still not thrilled then go shorter. But I agree-waist to hip is my favorite range. I'm not someone that ever ever ever wears my hair down though. That's partly why I can deal with waist to hip. My hair is so thin and fine that wearing it down just destroys it.

Falcore
July 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
When it doubt...don't, that is my saying. But sometimes I feel trapped! <<<< My Mum says that saying to me and it's a saying to live by (you cannot ignore those little voices within). Forget the two week rule with this and just take your time to ponder and think it over. Whatever you decide we'll all support you with. Your hair is simply amazing in my eyes!

You're too right about there being a lot of grey area with reaching the milestone lengths. I am having problems picking were the hips are (darn grey area that it is). I think my best bet is to just put a pic up to get some other perspectives as to where I am.

Anyway, good luck for what you decide to do. :)

WaitingSoLong
July 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks everyone! I am under no pressure to cut or anything, I just wish I could ignore the longings for shorter hair because I cannot make up my mind, I feel unhappy if I do or don't cut. I will probably cut to waist or somewhere close but definitely at least hip. Someday.

I can't see living with my roots forever until they shed out. Honestly, I think I know I will cut it is just a matter of becoming comfortable with the idea and even more, being very confident in it. I have had such bad regret before from cuts I just don't want to go through that again.

I definitely will not do it before my summer job ends because I don't want want to have issues with wearing my hair up because it is requires at my job.

I am going to a dinner theater tonight with my sister, mom, Mamaw and aunt and plan to wear my hair loose for that.

lapushka
July 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Oh and by the by, I still cannot make up my mind. Last night I had myself convinced to cut ALL the sun-in out and have 12" layered hair (the actual strands 12"). It would actually be about BSL if I did that, but then I woudl be down to virgin hair with no sun-inned hair to trim off as it grows. Ultimately, it would take me longer to regrow it that way.

I spent a long time determining what term would be on me and trying to figure out how long it would take my hair to become all virgin without ever cutting it due to natural shedding. I decided it would be at least 10 years. I think I could still potentially hit term at age 50 if I cut back instead. But I never said I wanted to grow to term...but I haven't counted it out...

Just wanted to say, why cut out all the sun-in? The ombre effect is so popular these days, so there's no need to worry about that, I don't think. But ultimately, if you don't like the sun-in, then cut away. It's all up to you, of course! :)

Seeshami
July 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Have you tried bangs to rid yourself of the bald in the front feeling?

This picture made me cut bangs because I look bald:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/9abc7238.jpg

WaitingSoLong
July 22nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
I look horrible with fringe. REALLY horrible. I have a cowlick up there, too, which doesn't help.

The hombre affect is lost on me, my roots are too long and the colors are not right. But I want to cut it out because it looks dumber and dumber the longer my roots get, also the quality of my hair is a lot different (sun-in vs. virgin).

Seeshami
July 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Ah, Those things I completely understand. I think my first advise is the best I can give, chop what you know you will absolutely not miss and reassess in a week or two if you want to chop off more. Crea-clips work great and I recommend them for home chops if you don't have help.

WaitingSoLong
July 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
I agree Seeshami, I would cut what I am 100&#37; sure I could live without. I trim my own hair fine without a clip ;)

Seeshami
July 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I can't ever get things straight enough when I am doing a big trim. I always end up with one side longer, I keep telling myself it will get easier the longer it gets but now I am also cutting Mom's hair, Oldest sister's and sometimes Middle sister's and it's so much easier to have a level.

WaitingSoLong
July 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
I had myself talked into cutting back to hip (to start) and was really excited about it, actually, then I totally chickened out :( I just couldn't do it. I really feel sort of trapped....

It's not the length I am afraid of losing, it's that I don't like thick blunt ends. I know that sounds stupid, but I prefer the taper and the wispiness of the ends, especially for bunning. Also, old ends lay flatter than fresh cut ends. Gah.

trillian
July 23rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
I now have a thought experiment for you: I don't know, is not an acceptable answer, but I can't think of anything else is.

1) List five things you like about your hair as is, and list five things you don't like.

2) Envision your hair at hip length, list five things you'd like about it, and five you wouldn't.

3) Ditto that for waist length.

4) Do the same thing for each length, with a V, and then a U shape.

Do you have a length where you have more things you like than not? Do you have a length where you have nothing that like? Are the things that you like at hip length the same as you like at your current length?

WaitingSoLong
July 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
I will try that Trillian.

I have made lists until my fingers bleed, though. Yesterday I went through all the old pics I could find of myself. WOW did I have some ugly hair LOL.

I know I decided I would not have hair shorter than waist. Above that I have to heat style it to get it to lay right when I wear it loose. I am not against heat styling myself, but refuse to have a style that requires it because I very much dislike spending time trying to make my hair look "just so" when the first breeze that blows ruins it or I cannot enjoy my windows down, or it rains or I sweat it out, etc.

I had mostly permed hair before the last few years, so I cannot really look too far back. I did not take hair pictures before TLHC so, really, it is limited. Plus I had bangs forever. Ugh.

Anyway, I will try that.

lolot
July 23rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
Waist vs bsl
- BSL : is cheaper: youll spend less money in conditioners, shampoos, etc when your hair is shorter
- BSL: Faster: youll spend less time on it, in shower, detangling and styling it
- BSL: Its easy to trimmed and maintain because you dont have to wait so much time to achive that goal

-WL: Its more noticeable
-WL: More styles
- WL: You can play more with it

WaitingSoLong
July 24th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Trillian I did that little experiment and I am not sure I learned anything much. I am still wavering between waist and hip and too chicken to try either LOL.

boofles
July 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Why not try doing it little by little?

You could start with 1 inch, then if you don't miss it take another a few days later etc until you can't bring yourself to cut any further.

That way, you only loose what you definitely won't miss, and don't have a big shocking cut that you can regret too soon?

kaydana
July 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I have a few ideas you could try to solve the issue of not liking blunt ends. They should give the ends some taper if you do decide to cut:
- Put layers in just the very ends of your hair. (the last inch or two)
- Use thinning shears (insert horrified gasp here) to take out some of the thickness from the last inch or so of hair.
- Cut vertically upwards into the hair from the bottom to thin out the ends that way. (This way might result in the ends getting damaged more quickly because they're not cut straight across, but it will probably give the most natural looking results)

If you cut back a little at a time, you could test each method as you go to see which gives you the hem you're happiest with.

boofles
July 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
If you cut back a little at a time, you could test each method as you go to see which gives you the hem you're happiest with.

This definitely makes sense, plus if you are maintaining whatever length you cut back to rather than re-growing, you can easily play about with it after without worries! :D

WaitingSoLong
July 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Good ideas!

WaitingSoLong
July 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ok well I have agonized over this for a long time and taken my time weighing issues.I have finally made a decision I feel is the best one, though not necessarily what I feel the urge to do.

I am not going to cut. . . yet.

Here's why:
My ultimate goal is to have virgin hair. My roots are about 10-11" right now. The longer they get, the more obvious they are for some reason. Trimming to hip or waist will not take this away. No amount of trimming will make it grow faster. I eventually want virgin length waist+ to TBL hair, and I know I don't want hair shorter than BSL ever. Ever. . .so...

I think the only time I will grow past Classic is now, when I am really just waiting to get my virgin hair, since I don't really like my hair longer than TBL it seems. I will experiment with these longer lengths while waiting on my ultimate goal and when my virgin hair reaches BSL to waist, somewhere in there, I will chop it all off then. That will be as soon as 2 years from now, more likely 3 years or so. I think term on me is around knee, I doubt I will grow that long because I will have to trim the ends once a year or so.

If I cut now, the demarcation line will be more obvious. I have tested this by faking shorter hair with the fake-bob string/ribbon method. I also spent a great deal of time going through my old pictures and seeing my hair at different lengths and I know when I do cut back, I will have to thin the ends like discussed above. The blunt cut on waist or higher hair looks very choppy with my hair for some reason (I suspect it is the thickness of my hair at those lengths, twie a much as the ends of my hair now). I may even get a deep U or something to fend this effect off when the time comes.

For now I will just grow, trim when the ends need a trim and not worry about the actual length because I just don't care anymore. Classic was my original goal and I have reached it and have no real length goal at this point, just a hair health goal coupled with wearability and what looks right on me for my body type, face, and hair color.

I feel good about this decision even though I really want to change it NOW and find myself staring longingly at BSL to waist length hair (especially those withmy hair type/color).

Not Lynn Merely
July 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Just a thought:

When your hair is all virgin, is it possible that there will be enough difference in texture at the ends that it will be easier to wear down, no matter the length?

julliams
July 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I loved waist length as I could do all the updo's that I wanted to. The downside was that it didn't feel long enough but that was because I was growing it at the time. I think when you decide to go to that length, you will appreciate it more and like it for what it is.

The only thing to consider is that from the side, waist -length hair doesn't look waist-length until it's about hip length (on me anyway) so if you are wanting it to look like waist from the side, you may need to be a little past waist. However if you are choosing between BSL and waist, perhaps waist is the best option as you will look BSL from the front and sides.

I think your hair will look amazing at waist length.

WaitingSoLong
July 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Just a thought:

When your hair is all virgin, is it possible that there will be enough difference in texture at the ends that it will be easier to wear down, no matter the length?

Hmm, I doubt it because my hair WAS all virgin before I did the sun-in a couple years ago and the ends were still unwieldly. I wa hip then. I think.

The only thing to consider is that from the side, waist -length hair doesn't look waist-length until it's about hip length (on me anyway) so if you are wanting it to look like waist from the side, you may need to be a little past waist.

I think your hair will look amazing at waist length.

I wasn't worried about how long it looked, just the ability to do up-dos and such. As long as it was not shorter than BSL it is long enough for me.

Thanks! I should post a pic from when my hair was about waist. It looked AWFUL. lol