PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my own hair...

sarelis
June 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM
OK, so I've read the Feye's Self Trim guide & I think it looks pretty do-able, and I'm in the process of buying some decent hair scissors. I have have had a sort of mini brain wave over how to do my face framers, does anyone remember the 'How to Cut Your Own Hair' article that was posted on here a while ago, I think the original article was from the Daily Mail? It involved combing all your hair forward & putting it into a ponytail at the front of your hairline. I was thinking that if I did this with just the very front sections of my hair ( basically the bits I want as face framers) this would give me perfectly even layers, no? Otherwise I can see me struggling to get them even & hacking away in an effort to get them to look presentable until I have a sort of fringe from hell!

lapushka
June 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
It involved combing all your hair forward & putting it into a ponytail at the front of your hairline. I was thinking that if I did this with just the very front sections of my hair ( basically the bits I want as face framers) this would give me perfectly even layers, no? Otherwise I can see me struggling to get them even & hacking away in an effort to get them to look presentable until I have a sort of fringe from hell!

I think that's a great method for FF layers, just don't do it with too much hair and just don't cut too much off! Measure it well before you cut.

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I don't know if there is an article on layers or not. I agree be careful about cutting your own layers. Trim very little.

Amygirl8
June 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM
It should, in theory.
I mean, the method makes sense.

Creaclip had a similar method- you pulled all your hair in front and trimmed off.
When cutting layers in those methods, trimming off half an inch won't do much. I'd say two inches as a base (you can trim off tiny bits at a time) It may seem like you cut a lot off, but when you actually see the results the length isn't affected that much- rather you'll just have more noticeable layers.

Keep looking around, and good luck!

Lady Neeva
June 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
And make sure not to cut them straight across at first. Do it diagonally sort and even it up after time. I learned the hard way.

Amapola
June 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I cut my own bangs but I don't do it the way you describe. I get it wet, carefully tie back the ones I don't want cut, lean over and comb everything forwards. Then I cut in an arc frm one side to the other. That gives me a good base. For layers, stand up straight and comb a section straight up in the air. It will look kind of raggedy. Just cut straight across to even it up. Do this on different section all across your bangs. Voila, layers.

sarelis
June 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, some good ideas, will be sure to post pics of my results! :)

Ml001
June 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have seen this regarding face framing using a front forehead pony: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7823939_cut-frame-face-long-hair.html

The *best* instructions for cutting my own hair I found on YouTube from user 'notaditdot'. She has several - start here then view more of her videos from the list in the righthand column. (She owns some website but it is not a sales pitch - I almost turned her off the first time I started a video cuz I thought it was a spammy thing. SO glad I kept watching!) Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so and then one of hers specifically for framing your face is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKYmSAtWCI

Cut my hair a few times using techniques I learned from her and it was perfect each time. (Went back to *cheap* salon because I was worried about damage due to improper tools and the cut totally stinks. Let's just say I, too, will be investing in good tools. My other option is to travel 5 hours to the nearest curl-trained (deva) salon. ugh.)

Good Luck!

**This is my first post at LHC! :D

GlennaGirl
June 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I do the ponytail method but for all my hair (not just face framing layers). The layers really do come out very, very evenly matched from one side to the other and from front to back...it's amazing.