PDA

View Full Version : Is bunning superior to braiding?

meteor
June 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM
It seems that on LHC updos are the preferred protective style.
I personally have a penchant for braids because they don't force my hair to go in the opposite direction from growth, never strain my roots, never give me headaches, and I can wear them for as long as I want (updos tend to constantly fall apart and I have to redo them at least 2-3 times a day). My scalp always seems to thank me when I take my updos down.
Are braids really less protective?

ravenreed
June 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I think the two potential problems with braiding are friction from the braid rubbing against clothing, seat backs, purse straps, etc., and damage from the elastic at the ends. The latter can be mitigated by braiding a ribbon down the braid and using that to tie off the end of the braid.

There are folks who seem to get damage from updo's too, so I think that the best way to proceed is to do what works for you. If updo's are uncomfortable, go with braids. I personally know a woman who wears a braid every day, and her braid is down to her knees. She says it is the only way she can wear her hair and obviously it is working for her. Who am I to argue?

It seems that on LHC updos are the preferred protective style.
I personally have a penchant for braids because they don't force my hair to go in the opposite direction from growth, never strain my roots, never give me headaches, and I can wear them for as long as I want (updos tend to constantly fall apart and I have to redo them at least 2-3 times a day). My scalp always seems to thank me when I take my updos down.
Are braids really less protective?

Slug Yoga
June 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think what ravenreed said makes sense, in that a braid, if it's still down, can be rubbing on things, etc. But if I were you and updos gave me headaches and took me more time to deal with, I'd probably be wearing braids too :)

gossamer
June 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I know that after having my hair in a braid all day, because my hair is f/m, a lot of it escapes from the braid and gets caught on things. Even when freshly braided and orderly, it gets caught on things like my bra straps or my bag strap. Much safer, for me, to have it in a simple updo like a nautilus bun.

templeofvenus
June 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think braids do protect the hair and if you are only applying elastic (no damage) hair ties at the very end to hold the braid in place then thats the only potential area that could get damaged over time and basically you do trim the ends occasionally anyway - so to me I say braids are great also you can apply a little coconut oil or whatever you like to use to treat the hair when its braided :) added bonus braid waves!!

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM
They both have their pros and cons.

All of the following is just my opinion
Pros of bunning:
1. Bun waves preferred over braid waves
2. Hair is off my neck in hot weather
3. Length isn't exposed to friction against my back, backpack straps, chairs... etc.
4. Resilient against getting messy. A cinnabun isn't going anywhere.
5. Can use spin pins, forks or sticks to hold it.

Cons of bunning:
1. Can sometimes cause headaches
2. Can sometimes be too tight and pull

Pros of braiding
1. No headaches
2. Easy to control for tightness

Cons of braiding
1. Falls apart, gets messy easy
2. Length experiences friction
3. Braidwaves.
4. Usually need an elastic to tie them off, which can be hair-unfriendly if used often enough.

That's it really, it comes down to personal preference and the cons of braids can be easily avoided. You say that braids last all day for you, but that isn't the case for me, so I prefer buns.

auburntressed
June 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I compromise. I start with a french braid or two French braids. Then I find a way to pin them up. The plaiting of French or Dutch braiding ensures my hair is evenly distributed, so no headaches or painful pulling. And pinning it up protects the ends.

I also oil my braid tassel before pinning it.

meteor
June 16th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Thank you, guys! It's really encouraging! :) I really love braids and I easily maintained classic length with just braids and ponytails in the past. Now I'm trying to wear my damaged hair up every single day, but buns often feel uncomfortable and slide out. I often catch myself thinking "I just want to take it down for a few hours". But a braid can easily stay put for days on me if I didn't re-braid.

I personally know a woman who wears a braid every day, and her braid is down to her knees. She says it is the only way she can wear her hair and obviously it is working for her.
Exactly! :) I met many Indian women with extra long hair and they aren't scared to wear it in a long braid (I think buns would be pretty heavy for them).

lmfbs
June 16th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Thank you, guys! It's really encouraging! :) I really love braids and I easily maintained classic length with just braids and ponytails in the past. Now I'm trying to wear my damaged hair up every single day, but buns often feel uncomfortable and slide out. I often catch myself thinking "I just want to take it down for a few hours". But a braid can easily stay put for days on me if I didn't re-braid.

Exactly! :) I met many Indian women with extra long hair and they aren't scared to wear it in a long braid (I think buns would be pretty heavy for them).

The way I look at it is almost any way you put it up will protect it more than loose. At the end of the day, you have to enjoy your hair and be comfortable. If that means braids for you, go for it.

I've made an effort to learn more buns. In the past, I have avoided them because I could never get them to stay. Now I can get them to stay without hurting my head, I wear them more often.

Suguru
June 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I'm a newbie, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt - but from my experience it depends a lot on hair length. I think at shorter lengths (APL or thereabouts) braiding is at least as protective as bunning. It can even be more protective than bunning because a french braid can catch any layers or side hair. Once your hair is longer, however, a braid may not be that helpful. While hair in a braid is more protected than loose hair, the braid can still whip around in strong winds, get caught in car doors or on nails or hooks and get rubbed between your back and the backs of chairs or your backpack. All of which can damage your hair. Hair that is up in a bun avoids all that.

There will be a toss-up of course, because as you've said braids are generally more comfortable. However, I tend to think that if a bun is very uncomfortable or is putting too much tension on your roots, it needs adjusting. That or your hair is a lot thicker than mine, because my TBL + hair is in some sort of bun almost 24/7 and the weight of it doesn't bother me.

Suguru
June 16th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I realised that in the time between me reading your question and posting my reply, a lot of the things I said were already mentioned - sorry about that!

I just thought of an idea that may work for you - why not try starting the day with a braided bun and if it gets painful at some point, you can just take out the hairstick and have a nice neat (albeit somewhat kinky) braid for the rest of the day!

Slug Yoga
June 16th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I realised that in the time between me reading your question and posting my reply, a lot of the things I said were already mentioned - sorry about that!

I just thought of an idea that may work for you - why not try starting the day with a braided bun and if it gets painful at some point, you can just take out the hairstick and have a nice neat (albeit somewhat kinky) braid for the rest of the day!

That's a really good idea!

I know some people have really tender scalps and/or heavy hair, and buns are uncomfortable for them for those reasons, but I think, too, that if you start wearing buns more frequently you might get the hang of putting them up so that they don't pull so much or give you a headache. I've put my hair up in a bun every day for years, and every now and then I still end up making one that pulls in a spot, at which point I'll redo it and it will be fine.

ravenreed
June 16th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I have been working on getting used to buns since I joined LHC and I am still not there yet! I have to redo mine several times a day and the best part of the day is letting my hair down. Some of us just have really tender scalps, I guess.

That's a really good idea!

I know some people have really tender scalps and/or heavy hair, and buns are uncomfortable for them for those reasons, but I think, too, that if you start wearing buns more frequently you might get the hang of putting them up so that they don't pull so much or give you a headache. I've put my hair up in a bun every day for years, and every now and then I still end up making one that pulls in a spot, at which point I'll redo it and it will be fine.

Suguru
June 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Some of us just have really tender scalps, I guess.

This is true.

Which is why each individual has to go with what works best for them in the end. I think if the OP is careful with her braid and maybe keeps it in front of her shoulder, she can avoid damage and enjoy the comfort of wearing a braid at the same time! :)

Ishje
June 17th, 2012, 01:00 AM
you could alway's try to make a braid, and then put it in an updo.
there are many great braided updo's and it might just help to make an updo more comfortable.

auburntressed
June 17th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Oh! Also - Madora has a good method of making a braided bun that helps because it sections the hair out. Basically you start with a half-up braided bun. Then braid the bottom half of your hair in an upward direction and wrap that braid around the half-up braided bun. It's worked out well for me, actually. I've also tried it with just a regular twisting bun, and that also works.

Also, this method can work with hairsticks if you've got two hairsticks. Just use the first hairstick to secure the half-up bun. Then after winding the bottom part around the half-up bun, use the second stick to secure that part. :)

It probably would be tricky to pull off with a fork. But I haven't got any forks, so I'm not used to working with them.

... OMG! I don't have any forks! HOW CAN I NOT HAVE A FORK?! I know where my next paycheck is going now. :o

Some of us just have really tender scalps, I guess.This recalls one of my early memories of my mom French braiding my hair! Back then, I guess very few people in her social circle knew how to French braid. So when other mothers were over, she would demonstrate how to do it on my hair. Inevitably, they would comment about how still and quiet I sat, explaining that their child always wiggled and cried when they tried to do anything with their hair.

So my mom would always say, "Well girls with long hair have tough scalps."

What a load!

The TRUTH was that even at that age, I wanted my hair to look nice. So I was trained to sit as still as a statue so that I wouldn't mess up what my mom was working on. But all that pulling DID still hurt.

Plus, I was an uncannily well-behaved child until I was about 8 or 9. Then I realized that obedience wasn't doing it for me, and I turned into a nightmare.

IvanaGil
June 17th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I prefer a single english braid over ANY hairstyle. It's comfortable, cute and simple. Buns sometimes pull on my hairline and they don't always look good. I'm a tbl so, yeah... :)

DarkCurls
June 17th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Braids are superior! I love braids. :D They're beautiful.

Okay, so they aren't. It depends on the person, really. But I know I don't consider braids as an updo unless they are an updo (English braid pinned up, French braid tuck, etc). Following that, yes, they're less protective than buns. (But braided buns combine all advantages!)

I find braided updos to be excellent with weight distribution (maiden braids, crown braids spring to mind; French braids, Dutch braids). :p

MintChocChip
June 17th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I compromise. I start with a french braid or two French braids. Then I find a way to pin them up. The plaiting of French or Dutch braiding ensures my hair is evenly distributed, so no headaches or painful pulling. And pinning it up protects the ends.

I also oil my braid tassel before pinning it.

I need to start doing this! As a general rule I prefer braids over buns, but it'd be great to help protect my ends which are looking slightly worse for wear at the moment.

Henrietta
June 17th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I think that although it may seem logic that one's hair is protected better in a bun that in a braid, I would still say, as many others here, that it's "do what works for you" case. Some people's ends don't like being tucked in a bun so despite possible friction, it's better for them to braid. And there is still this very important argument of headaches connected with the distribution of weight. It's not worth forcing yourself to wear buns if it hurts. Especially if you see that braids don't cause that much damage for you ;)
Personally I prefer updos that are up. Buns, crown braids and things like that. No matter if I start my single braid with a hair tie or not, my hair will slide off and fly around my face with time, and also single hairs tend to free themselves and I have massive frizz on my braid. That' I believe is damaging, so braids clearly don't work for me. And that's why I don't use them often as such, but if they work great for you- that's the point!

Jade_Pixie
June 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I wear a bun during the day and two braids at night, only for my comfort sake :)

MintChocChip
June 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I think that although it may seem logic that one's hair is protected better in a bun that in a braid, I would still say, as many others here, that it's "do what works for you" case. Some people's ends don't like being tucked in a bun so despite possible friction, it's better for them to braid. And there is still this very important argument of headaches connected with the distribution of weight. It's not worth forcing yourself to wear buns if it hurts. Especially if you see that braids don't cause that much damage for you ;)
Personally I prefer updos that are up. Buns, crown braids and things like that. No matter if I start my single braid with a hair tie or not, my hair will slide off and fly around my face with time, and also single hairs tend to free themselves and I have massive frizz on my braid. That' I believe is damaging, so braids clearly don't work for me. And that's why I don't use them often as such, but if they work great for you- that's the point!

Good point! I agree with this! Don't do a hairstyle if it's painful, it's not worth it!

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Perhaps bunning is superior to braiding with respect that the hair is not manipulated as much as in braiding...i.e. the crossovers needed to braid down the strands, as opposed to the twisting needed for the bunning.

Personally, I prefer braids as they stay neat and are versatile and keep my hair off my head.

But if your hair is affected by scalp pain when doing either in updos, then I'd avoid both until your hair is longer.

The only drawbacks I see to braiding is doing it too tightly, and not varying the placement of the elastic.

Amygirl8
June 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I don't know how to do most buns. The only bun that really looks anywhere near decent is a sock bun, and buns pull really badly.
Not to mention, my bun waves equate to a frizzy mess XD
I love braid waves, plus braids are so much more comfortable (and easy to pull up into a bun).
It depends on your preference, really. I can't cope with buns, so my hair's in a braid. I solve the issue with elastic damage by switching how high the braid ends. Sometimes it's a tiny tassel, but today my tassel is 6 inches long.

CarpeDM
June 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I personally do not find braiding very comfortable when it comes to updos. I much prefer buns. But at night, I usually braid my hair to keep it contained.

sharonluvscats
June 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I've never been a fan of buns. They give me headaches and I feel like they hide my hair. I prefer the look of braids and they don't give me headaches. I guess it just depends on the person.

swearnsue
June 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM
*sigh* I can't wait till my hair is long enough to require making these decisions!

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
For a braid to protect you would have to wear it. Like crown braids or tuck the ends under like luana braids.

spidermom
June 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I like braiding, but 10,001 newer shorter hairs escape, making my braids look fluffy, then they knot up with each other as the braids swing around with my movements.

Compromise: a braided bun. Perfect!

darklyndsea
June 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I know how you feel. It seems like almost every bun pulls and hurts, so a lot of the time I do braids instead. But even if you mostly wear braids, I encourage you to at least learn how to do buns and periodically try them, because as my hair gets longer I find that not only can I do more styles that are comfortable, but also that other styles that weren't comfortable at shorter lengths become comfortable with longer lengths.

Also, I like doing braided updos like the flutterby and amish braids, which seem to distribute my hair better, and are flatter in the back than buns so it's not awkward to drive.

meteor
June 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Thank you so much for all the great advice, guys! You are extremely helpful!
And yes, I love the braided bun the most. When it starts hurting I just like to take it down and keep the braid... but usually can't secure it because I forget my elastic at home :p

Oh! Also - Madora has a good method of making a braided bun that helps because it sections the hair out. Basically you start with a half-up braided bun. Then braid the bottom half of your hair in an upward direction and wrap that braid around the half-up braided bun. It's worked out well for me, actually. I've also tried it with just a regular twisting bun, and that also works.
Auburntressed, thank you so much! Do you have a link to that hairdo? Or does it have a name I could search? I'd love to find some videos for this (I'm a visual person).

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much for all the great advice, guys! You are extremely helpful!
And yes, I love the braided bun the most. When it starts hurting I just like to take it down and keep the braid... but usually can't secure it because I forget my elastic at home :p

Auburntressed, thank you so much! Do you have a link to that hairdo? Or does it have a name I could search? I'd love to find some videos for this (I'm a visual person).

Meteor, here's how to section:
You can do a number of styles if you section your hair..i.e.

1) detangle all hair gently

2) make a horizontal part from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head to the top of your left ear.

3) Comb out all hair above the part, divide in 3 sections, and loosely braid down to the end. Secure with hair friendly elastic.

4) Coil braid in a bun by holding it in place while you anchor it with crimped hairpins. Tuck the tassle under the bun.

5) Take remaining hair, comb out, divide in 3, and braid it loosely down to end. Secure with hair elastic.

6) Take braid and bring it up and around the bunned braid. Tuck in tassle.

Voila..one double braided bun.

Using this sectioning technique you can also create the variations of:

A) Double cinnabuns
B) Cameo Bun
C) Double rose bun
D) Double twist bun

Sectioning the hair distributes the weight more comfortably and you're able to wear your style longer.

Sorry, but no video.

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Meteor, here's a pic of my sectioned double braid bun:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/hpaMedium.jpg

meteor
June 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Madora, thank you so much for such precise instructions (with such clarity no video is necessary! :cheese:) and for the beautiful photo! I'll definitely do this! :)

Madora
June 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Glad I could help, Meteor! Happy styling!

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
For me, braids are superior when taking a car ride. You can't put your head on the headrest when it's in a bun! :p

ravenreed
June 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
For seeing movies in the theater too. I wore a bun to see Prometheus and has to let it down half way through.

For me, braids are superior when taking a car ride. You can't put your head on the headrest when it's in a bun! :p

MissManda
June 17th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I also prefer braids over buns. When I was a child and had parental assistance with hairstyling, I always wore my hair in some kind of braid because when someone else tries to get my hair up into a bun it hurts a lot. I wore my hair in braids from a time before I can remember until my hair was chopped off in sixth grade and my hair was still super-healthy. :) As long as you secure the ends of your braids with gentle elastics, they're fine, IMO.

When I wear buns, I usually have to section my hair to get them to work properly as well as make them more comfortable. I'm not always in the mood for that, though, so a braid it is. :p

If you'd rather wear braids than buns, I say go for it! :flower:

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM
For seeing movies in the theater too. I wore a bun to see Prometheus and has to let it down half way through.

Oh that's a good one too! A bun is also in the way when you want to sit on your bed and lean your head on the wall. :brickwall

Zesty
June 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Personally I prefer buns 99% of the time. My braids are long and heavy, they come unraveled easily and cause damage because of rubbing on clothes, etc. I can do a cinnamon bun or a lazy wrap bun with one stick in about ten seconds and it's super comfortable and not tight and doesn't need to be redone every few hours. It's also far less damaging. But I really like to make braids, so I do braided buns or accent braids. I also wear braids for things like plane rides, for the aforementioned reason that it makes it easy to lean your head back, but about half the time I just put it up in a bun. I let it down when I want to lean my head back and put it back up when I don't.

I can see why people would prefer braids, but for me and my hair, it's buns all the way.

Othala
June 17th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I find braids damaging. My hair is super-dry after having braids in all day (I don't know why) and the only time I seem to get splits in the length of my hair is when I braid. I guess forcing the hair into an unnatural position for long periods of time is not good for it. YMMV of course.

ApatheticFairy
June 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My scalp is pretty tough, so only double bunning kind of hurts, like cute little anime bun-type styles. I prefer bunning but if I have to braid, I use parandas to alleviate the whole tassel thing.

door72067
June 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I am currently doing both...braid first, then wrap the braid into a bun and hold with one stick

for some reason, a braided bun feels less heavy/more comfortable for me

(I am solidly BSL, btw)

firegypsy
June 17th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I do both. A bun is faster for me. Braiding happens maybe 4 days a week and it doesn't take long, but it's easier starting with dry hair (for me.) So wash days I bun. Non-wash days I braid. I never "wear" braid waves or bun waves because I never wear my hair down, so that doesn't factor in.

Not Lynn Merely
June 17th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I only have the scalp pain issue with high buns. I will have to try sectioning!

Braids do get caught.

Though it is not an updo, does anyone else here just wear her hair loose and tucked into the (down) hood of a hooded sweatshirt? I find that very comfortable when my scalp needs a break, but it definitely is not for wearing out of the house or when active.

Misty'sMess
June 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I double dutch braid my hair, to distribute the weight, and cause it's pretty, then bun it using my flexi-8. I don't bother tying off the ends of the braids because the bun and flexi keeps them in place.

I love braids(!) but also want to keep my hair out of harms way, and out of my way. This is a great solution.

Diamond.Eyes
June 17th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I used to braid my hair more often than anything. Then when I discovered how much easier, and less- damaging bunning was, I stuck with bunning.

letibear
June 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I alternate between buns and braids, but I like being able to tuck the ends of my hair underneath a bun.

JellyBene
June 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I used to put my hair in a french braid and then tuck it in and secure it with clips a lot, it was fine except for the slight bobby pin damage so I bun it more often now, but once it is long enough to look nice in just a simple braid, I will probably do them both evenly. It is long enough now but because it is thick and slippery it likes to come out of the braid

Tigermama
June 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I get immediate breakage from wearing a braid because my hair is very fragile, so buns are better for me. Guess it depends on the person's hair.

catamonica
June 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I wear a low braided bun. It is really comfortable. And I braid my hair at night for sleep. My
ends have no split ends. And buns keep you cool when its hot.

Kerrilynn
June 18th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Though it is not an updo, does anyone else here just wear her hair loose and tucked into the (down) hood of a hooded sweatshirt? I find that very comfortable when my scalp needs a break, but it definitely is not for wearing out of the house or when active.

I do this! Sometimes it's not really deliberate, I just don't "untuck" my hair from my hoodie. Though, on day I was laying on the couch and leaning on one elbow and felt my hair IN MY SLEEVE! :laugh: Granted, I do prefer my hoodies to be oversized. Still, I couldn't believe it!

That said, sometimes it's the most comfortable for me. My hair is in between BDL and WL, so it's still short enough (and fine enough) to flip it all to one side and be comfortable for a while. Also, I've only just had my eyes opened to the wonderful world of buns and typically only wore them with clips. I have worn really loose buns at the nape of my neck and pinned with bobby pins. I'm really more of a braid person. I've been braiding and french/dutch braiding since I was about 8 years old, really. I think braids are so much fun and can add so much to any hairstyle whether it's one big braid, or teeny little accent braids. I was recently in a friend's wedding and did all the girls' hair, including the bride and myself. The bridesmaids (me included) got a teeny little dutch braid that went into a low knot bun. The bride, however, got a dutch crown with 2 accent braids at the bottom. When I'm able to post pictures, I will definitely share them! We did two practice runs so that I could make sure I could get it right and gauge how much time would be needed to do her hair.

I should also mentioned that I get headaches very easily due to a medical condition that causes cervical-cranial settling. Often, just a plain pony tail will give me a headache. I often wear my hair down, or just in a loose french braid off to the side. For going out and more formal events, I'll do something a bit more elaborate. Hair is so fun!

SongofLove
June 19th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Most of the time that my hair has been growing out, it's been in braids (single or multiple English braids mostly), as I've only recently learned how to bun. I don't have that many split ends, so I believe that braiding can be fairly protective. I think that braids are also cute and very low maintenance. My mom used to keep her beautiful hair between waist and tailbone, and she only wore her hair in braids or loose.

But of course, as many have pointed out, whether braiding or bunning is superior seems to depend on the hair type and situation, and it's best to utilize both style types if you are able.

I use braids at times where I don't expect to move very much, like sitting in class or watching movies, because it is true that the braid can rub against clothing and such. I also wear a braid outside so that I can tuck it into my jacket to protect it from the sun, and for bedtime because it is easy to put into a sleep cap and it allows my scalp to rest.

I wear buns for exercise because they keep the hair off my neck and feel so much cooler. I also think that buns generally look more professional / dressy, so I wear them for work and parties.

Of course, as others have pointed out, braided buns make it easy to do the convenient quick change :cool:. I hope you tried out Madora's sectioned bun technique. I use it all the time and it's so comfortable :)

braidgirl22
June 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I wear mine in a braid every day.buns always fall out on my hair.I have not noticed many splits.

LadyHazel
June 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I prefer buns as I have a hectic lifestyle and I can never achieve a neat braid and oh my

LAYERS!

Layers do not agree with braids for me as my shortest layers poke out of the braid and make me look like I've made the new amazing 'barbed wire-look' braid LOL

Buns all the way

EtherealDoll
June 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I prefer braids simply because buns always fall down, no matter how many pins I use.

IndigoOptimist
June 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I know that after having my hair in a braid all day, because my hair is f/m, a lot of it escapes from the braid and gets caught on things. Even when freshly braided and orderly, it gets caught on things like my bra straps or my bag strap. Much safer, for me, to have it in a simple updo like a nautilus bun.

Your hair is much longer than mine, but I have the same problem. I suppose it's partly down to hair type. I have a friend who has thick 2c hair who braids her hair and it will stay in place all day without anything coming out. what ever works for the individual is best :D
I also have layers which doesn't help with braids, buns are always better for me :)

moxamoll
June 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I do both. I figure that the more varied I make things, the less likely I'll be to get damage from "overdoing" one particular style. Plus, I guess I'm lucky that my hair seems fairly robust, so I don't have any noticeable damage from dangling braids occasionally. I think you just have to go with what works for you!

I've found a lot less damage to my ends from tying off braids, since I switched to the Emi-Jay (http://emi-jay.com/) style elastics. They maybe aren't as "invisible" as a standard elastic, but they don't leave bends or crimp marks in my hair either, so I think it's worth it. You can get the same style for much cheaper from Etsy or just buy the elastic and make your own!

firegypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I love those too.

racrane
June 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Like everyone says, it depends on your preferences and hair type. Me, I like braided buns. :D