PDA

View Full Version : Storing and applying oil mixtures.

Nymfora
June 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I've just started to do oil treatments on my scalp a few weeks ago. In my mix I have coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almosnd oil and EO's of peppermint, jasmine and lavendar. I have them mixed and stored in the fridge but I'm finiding it a pain to apply to my scalp espiaclly the front where I have a very bad thinning area :( How should I be appling the oil to my scalp? My hair elsewhere is thick and I'm wondering how everyone else applies the oil. And how long do I leave it on before I shower? Once I apply it do I just tie it up and let it soak for a bit, but when I apply it some of the oil also goes onto my hair above the roots. I'm so new to this but I reall wanna fix the thinning area and grow my hair longer and healthy :D

Natalia
June 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
My hair elsewhere is thick and I'm wondering how everyone else applies the oil. And how long do I leave it on before I shower? Once I apply it do I just tie it up and let it soak for a bit, but when I apply it some of the oil also goes onto my hair above the roots. I'm so new to this but I reall wanna fix the thinning area and grow my hair longer and healthy :D

well take with a grain of salt since im a fine hair and i dont often oil my scalp since im wo. anyway i generally put a few drops of oil on my palm, rub hands together, apply with flat palms to length, then run fingers through length. whatever is left on my hands gets smoothed up the nape (like gathering a ponytail) and then over the top starting at my temples after which i use the pads of my fingers to massage my scalp. my scalp doesnt like much oil at all so what i smoothed over the top layer when massaged in is enough.

im wo so i dont often need to apply oil and i do it post wash but when i used to do dt's with oil i prefered overnight or a minimum of 3 hours but if you dont want to take that much time id star with an hour pre-wash. it sounds like you want to do scalp only so this may all be irrelivent but i couldnt leave you with no replies.

Wildcat Diva
June 16th, 2012, 10:44 PM
You could do it on wet hair so the hair would not be all plumped up in your way. You could also use a pipette, or dropper to get the oil just where you want it. I just bought pipettes off Amazon and I have like 2 quart ziplocs full LOL.

Have you thought about using Castor oil for hair growth? It's cheap, and pretty thick. You could mix it with your other oils. Might be hard to wash out of your hair.

meteor
June 16th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I love massaging oil into my scalp with all 10 fingers. Another way is by dipping a fine plastic comb into the oil and combing through the roots with it finishing with a massage. Don't just pour it over your scalp, just grease your fingertips and massage into scalp. I have left oil in my scalp anywhere from just 30 minutes to 3 or 4 days! It's really beneficial. I sometimes worry about it blocking hair follicles, but I haven't seen any negative effects so far, only positive.
Oh, please note there will be initially a heavier than usual shed from head oil massage, but it should normalize after 2-3 sessions.

Astraea
June 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi!:blossom:

I was always pretty inefficient at applying oils to my hair and didn't try to target my scalp but what used to help were:

--plastic bottles with extension nozzles to apply to the scalp like hair dye
--applying oil to hands or around the area and deep massaging in, the heat of hands and scalp seemed to help distribute oil

Some sleep with oil overnight and I've hung out with a shower cap or towel for a few minutes pre-wash but wasn't diligent. Also, I don't know if oil being on your hair versus only on your scalp matters much as the steam or water should allow it to penetrate the skin regardless.