PDA

View Full Version : Article on Coconut Oil and Moisture (water) penetration.

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I started a thread on this before but figured the information was interesting enough to post again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17520153&ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Reading it indicates that moisture can penetrate the oil to the hair afterall just at a slower rate.

FrannyG
March 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Thank you for this link, ChloeDharma. :) This is really good information!

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM
You're welcome hun....always good to share new info :)

Silver & Gold
March 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Ooooo, very informative. Thanks for posting.

Patrycja
March 16th, 2008, 09:44 AM
thanks.I love to read about that sort of stuff.Keeps me smart :)

addikted
March 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for posting that!

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
thank you for sharing, an evidence based source too. Thanks xx

ktani
March 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Great link and information - I put it straight into my research stash - I save many posts that I find interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Mahars
March 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Oh interesting. Thanks for posting this. I knew coconut oil helped with protein retention, but I had no idea it actually moisturized.

hipmama1970
March 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Ooh, that's good to see that! Thanks for posting the article. :)

Sophrosyne
March 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thank you for posting that article, ChloeDharma. :) I wonder if this means that applying coconut oil to damp hair would be more beneficial than applying it to dry hair?

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you for posting that article, ChloeDharma. :) I wonder if this means that applying coconut oil to damp hair would be more beneficial than applying it to dry hair?

What i gathered from it was that the coating of oil slowed the transfer of water either way. So applying it to damp hair will keep the moisture level higher for longer. But that it also encourages moisture the other way too, so that hair with coconut oil in it in low humidity areas will have more moisture in than hair left uncovered.

I'm really glad that you all found it useful :)

Sophrosyne
March 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
What i gathered from it was that the coating of oil slowed the transfer of water either way. So applying it to damp hair will keep the moisture level higher for longer. But that it also encourages moisture the other way too, so that hair with coconut oil in it in low humidity areas will have more moisture in than hair left uncovered.

Apparently coconut oil is just fantastic stuff all around! I'm going to have to experiment with it on damp hair too now. Thanks again for the info. :)

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Innit! I love the stuff, hair, skin, food.....my intuition told me it was good.....glad i listened!

Have fun playing with it :)

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I love coconut oil, but my hair doesnt seem to "drink" anything, so I only oil before wash day. Still experimenting, though. Maybe if I put it on my hair dry it would drink it better than when wet? Or maybe Im reading the article wrong.

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I love coconut oil, but my hair doesnt seem to "drink" anything, so I only oil before wash day. Still experimenting, though. Maybe if I put it on my hair dry it would drink it better than when wet? Or maybe Im reading the article wrong.

Some peoples hair looks oily with hair-oils much faster than others. I'm still adjusting really because my hair used to just drink oil up like you wouldn't believe when it was mainly the chemically fried stuff, but now it's mainly virgin it can only take a tiny bit before it looks oily. I usually medium oil anyway at least so i don't mind a slightly oily look. I'm guessing yours is like that too, you probably can only get away with the very light sheen on your palms smoothed over the more exposed hair (canopy) and ends which is quite normal.
Most people seem to find that their hair looks less oily if they put it on damp or wet hair, i think it's mainly due to distribution? The thing i found was that if i used oil (jojoba) with aloe gel then it took more oil to look stringy/greasy than if i used jojoba oil alone (i'm thinking coconut will be the same) so maybe give a mix of those 2 a go?

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Oh thanks for the suggestion, CloeDharma! The only aloe gel I can find around here is Fruit of the Earth. It says its 100 % aloe but I have only used it on my skin, not my hair. Will this work?

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Oh thanks for the suggestion, CloeDharma! The only aloe gel I can find around here is Fruit of the Earth. It says its 100 % aloe but I have only used it on my skin, not my hair. Will this work?

I haven't used that brand myself, i don't think it's sold here.....but i'm sure that lots of other members here do and like it so i say yeah, go ahead with it xxx :)

MeMyselfandI
March 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM

Fruit of the Earth has preservatives and stabilizers in it. I do not know how that affects the recipes.