PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

anime_length
June 16th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I've come to the conclusion [& it's no real epiphany] that messing with my hair is simply not worth it.

I've seen a lot of undo tutorials and pretty hairstyles but when I attempt them, at some point I start thinking about the stress it's putting only hair. Especially tiny braids and sections that are in any way pulled on.

I recently found magnetic rollers, which are a lot of fun, since they allow me to get that voluminous, semi-straight, blown-out look without the heat. However, it's a lot of stress on the roots after all the clipping/pinning/pulling/combing/fussing.

I guess it's just better to leave it alone... right?

Jing
June 16th, 2012, 05:24 AM
It's better for the health of your hair to leave it alone, but there's no harm in going all out for special occasions, or if you just feel like being all glam for no reason. There are lots of ways to enjoy your hair. Spending two hours fussing with microbraids is one, staying clear of complicated and stressful updos is another. If you don't think the pretty updos are worth the time, effort, and potential damage, then they aren't. It's all cheese. :cheese:

DarkCurls
June 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM
You should join the benign neglect thread. :D

For the bit about updos, I see it as putting less stress on my hair as it's not constantly brushing up against things, getting caught under the strap of my backpack, snapping against that horrible screw I always forget is there on my chair at school... you know?
I've found tons of updos on these forums, Pinterest, and Youtube... and none of them absolutely required pulling hair tight, even though they may do it in the actual tutorial.
I don't know, I just thought the point of updos was that they were less damaging for hair. :p

LaLaBella
June 16th, 2012, 05:28 AM
There are looser updos you can do. But really, why have all the beautiful hair if you cannot enjoy it?

anime_length
June 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM
You should join the benign neglect thread. :D

For the bit about updos, I see it as putting less stress on my hair as it's not constantly brushing up against things, getting caught under the strap of my backpack, snapping against that horrible screw I always forget is there on my chair at school... you know?
:p

Oh man, i know, i hate when things get caught on my hair. i cringe so hard and have a quite funeral for that hair.

i actually like the updo's with the hair stick [or in my case a knitting needle since i still can't decide which stick to get, lol]

anime_length
June 16th, 2012, 05:34 AM
There are looser updos you can do. But really, why have all the beautiful hair if you cannot enjoy it?

Amen, sister!

ariesfairies
June 16th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I had that experience trying to put my hair in Sailor Moon odangos.. I eventually gave up because my hair just kept getting knotted up trying to wrap it all up and I'm tired of damaging my hair any further than I've done for years! Totally feel your pain! :P

So ever since I've pretty much done whats already been said - wear looser hair styles :P And theres plenty out there, gorgeous as they are. Lately been addicted to using hairsticks and the like. Braids like the herringbone style as well. If part of your enjoyment of hair is putting it up pretty, then do it!

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I like the benign neglect wear it up and monistat use methods wear it fertilize and forget it is how I look at it.

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I pretty much leave my hair alone.

Amapola
June 16th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I figure it's all personal choice. Some people don't have the time or the desire to spend on their hair, others do. Whatever works for you. For me, I really need to put my hair up before I go out every morning to milk and do the chores, and I finally have hair long enough to stay up with a stick or fork so that's what I do. Some people would not want to bother. For me, personally, it is worth it so I take the time to do it. Believe me, that causes far less damage than if I left it down! Life on a farm is not conducive to undamaged long hair!

Thenolegirl
June 16th, 2012, 09:54 AM

This =) Although I do use my pearl hairpins sparingly, as they have bare ends on the prongs, and I have heard hairs snap when using them (scary). I just bought gentle toddler hair ties and take my time with updos.What's the point of having long beautiful hair when you are constantly afraid of damage? =)

luxepiggy
June 16th, 2012, 01:29 PM
My hair starts every day down. I carry a hairstick in my handbag in case I need/want to get it out of the way. I don't need another thing to fuss over in the mornings (^(oo)^)v

spidermom
June 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM
A few easy up-dos are an absolute must for me. I think my hair splits whenever it drifts across anything, probably even glass. Up and protected is the way to go. Then it's in good shape when I want to enjoy it and can watch out for it.