PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take /or is it taking to get to your goal length?

poppy81
June 16th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on this, I hope this hasn't been done before.
I was wondering how long it took you to get to your goal length or if you are growing it to your goal length at the moment if you had/have any frustrations in between with your hair journey?

I am currently passed shoulders, on my way to APL, then BSL. That is my goal at the moment, and at times I can find it very frustrating focussing on my hair hoping it will grow. I have 12 months in mind to get to BSL at the moment, hoping earlier! :rolleyes:

CharleaMurphy
June 16th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I'm just below BSL and hoping for tail bone, so I'm expecting it to be a few years.
My shortest layers are at chin (what used to be my bangs) with more at shoulder length, so that's another few years on top of that.
My hair hasn't grown much at all for the past 3 years but in the past 3 months I've noticed definite growth :)
So if my growth speed continues how it is then it might not take as long as I'm expecting.

Jing
June 16th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Eyeballing it, if my growth rate stays the same I should reach my goal in about two years.

Covet
June 16th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I think to get to my goal of virgin waist length it will take about five years. My hair grows slowly! Then again so do my nails and I think their growth rate is linked, but that's just my guess. It's going to take so long because I currently have about 15 inches of bleached, ruined hair that needs to be cut off before I'm satisfied with my hair. It's going to be gradual because although I would love to cut it very short so I'd have virgin hair but there is no way I have the guts! Very annoying but I have totally learnt my lesson with dyes and bleach, the texture difference in my hair is shocking.

DarkCurls
June 16th, 2012, 04:16 AM
It should take me... a year and a half. :( Ugh, that's the first time I do the maths and it's pretty depressing. I was hoping for a year, tops. Oh well. :D Let's say by the time I turn 18, then, I'll have gorgeous TB (or maybe classic?)-length hair.

Ticky
June 16th, 2012, 05:08 AM
It took me about 3-3 and a half years, I think.

Neneka
June 16th, 2012, 05:13 AM
It will take 1,5-2 years to BSL. It's not that much, I think. I will be happy when it's past shoulder and that will come sooner. Maybe after this summer. :)

MonaMayfair
June 16th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I can tell by the date I joined LHC... My hair was in a chin length bob (first time I'd ever had short hair) and I wanted to grow it to mid back.

It took 2 years, 3 months to get there (except it was probably less time than that because I trimmed it myself a couple of times using Feye's method)

Then I went to a hairdresser for the first time since getting the bob, and had at least a couple of inches cut off (and some layers cut in)
So that put me back a bit (she cut off more than I wanted) and it took about 4 months to get back to mid back. Now it's about an inch to waist, I think.

I try to ignore it as much as possible, then I'm surprised at how long it's got...

vanity_acefake
June 16th, 2012, 05:37 AM
My goal is terminal length so I guess it will (hopefully) be an endless journey.
I'm currently past waist on my way to tailbone.

Jesabel
June 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM
I will hopefully be at my goal of hip by my 20th next year (September) or maybe even after depending on how many trims I need due to past damage, but definitely by the end of 2013 I should be at a solid hip, which is my goal length. So in total from joining LHC in Nov 2011 to September 2013, nearly two years from BSL to hip with trims.

My original goal was waist, and then I wanted it inbetween waist and hip, and now hip :) I'm even sort of toying with the idea of BCL or tailbone! But I would probably want to get it all virgin at hip before going any longer, if I did.

Loreley
June 16th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I was at tailbone length when I really started to grow my hair and to take better care of it. That was 3 years ago and I've recently reached my goal, mid-thigh. Meanwhile I had regular trims to get rid of the old demage.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I was at my mini goal until I went for a trim and got a cut.

cooklaezo13
June 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I have been growing my hair for nine months, and I started from a ear-length bob. I am now at shoulder. My original goal is waist, and it will probably take me a total of 3.5 years to get there, so I have two years and nine months to go until waist. But now I am thinking of growing my hair to tailbone length, which will take another two years to go from waist to solid tailbone.

pandora114
June 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Took me 4 years of growing and henna treatments to get this long.

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM
It will probably take be to the end of the year to get to BCL

LaFlor
June 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I started 3 yrs ago at BSL and I am still at BSL :rolleyes:
BUT I started with a lot of damage and problems, so I had to grow and cut the damage out. Which didn't allow for actual growth.
But now that I'm out of that stage, I hope it will only be another year or so :)

Sisgoldenhair65
June 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I just cut back about 3 inches so I'm right at waist. Should get to classic in about 2 1/2 years. Maybe a bit more depending on trims because I'm growing out color.

Fairlight63
June 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
It took me 5 yrs. to get from ear length - and about 1" long in the back to get to hip length.

starry
June 16th, 2012, 08:14 AM
my hairs grown super quick since water only washing in the last few weeks.. its at just under chin length so I reckon by my wedding next april itll be just below my shoulders (Im aiming for 20 inches though) and actually long like lower ribcage by next september..

overall I've estimated it'll take about 3 to 3 and a half years to get to around my hips and bum area. so I've just begun really!

torrilin
June 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going a bit longer... not sure how much exactly, or how long it will take. It'll happen when it happens, and there's not a whole lot of sense in worrying about it. My hair grows like a weed no matter what :). If it feels like it's not growing, I'm wearing it down too much and fussing too much.

sometimesginger
June 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I started at APL and I'm currently at BSL. Surprisingly, that only took three months! An inch for each month :) For my goal, (mid-back... although my goal keeps changing and I'm thinking about going waist length.), so for my CURRENT goal, I only have 7" left! So, hopefully on 7 more months? Unless I do choose waist length.

Silverbrumby
June 16th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, this is tough for me. If I was to try for virgin heat damage free hair then ive only got 7 inches of that. At 7 inches a year with 1 inch trim. Hmm
7 inches virgin hair 6/16/12

6 inches new growth per year

Goal 25 inches great quality hair

= 3 years.

Tia2010
June 16th, 2012, 10:02 AM
My goal right now is tailbone...I should be to there in about a year or so, if I leave it alone :) but I like getting my ends trimmed, so it will probably take longer.

Henrietta
June 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I started at BSL in March 2010, my goal is classic and I should be there- optimistic option- more or less at the beginning of 2015. + trims, so it will be 2016. I hope.

My mini goal for now is hip for my wedding. It's 90 cm on me, I am at 81 now, there's 15 months to go. Without trims it should be easy, but the point is that I need to trim.

jeanniet
June 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Right now my ultimate goal is classic, and my intermediate goal is TBL. I expect to be at TBL by about Christmas, and classic sometime in 2013, so growing from chin to classic will have taken about four years, give or take a few months. Back in 2009 I could barely imagine being at waist, let alone longer!

Miss Maisie
June 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Good question!

About a year ago I was between chin and shoulders, and I'm at APL right now. My goal is BSL, and I hope to be there by the end of the year.

dollyfish
June 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I have around a foot to go before I hit waist, which is my current goal (maybe when I get there I'll want to keep growing).

Knowing my growth rate, that'll probably be anywhere from a year and a half to two years from now. I'll probably hit BSL before christmas, at least.

bluesnowflake
June 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I started at APL and with regular trims along the way I'm now at approximately TB and happy with the length- I'm going to keep it here. It took about 3.5 years.

pink.sara
June 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
It took me 5 yrs. to get from ear length - and about 1" long in the back to get to hip length.

Pretty much this ^ :)

I'm growing from a shaved temple/undercut bob that was top of ear length to waist/hip at 34 inches. With trims to even out to a blunt hemline I'm now just above BSL (will be there in 6 months hopefully) after 3 years. So 5 altogether to get to goal. It's taking allot more patience and determination this time round as I'm actively growing rather than just ignoring it.

darklyndsea
June 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm going for terminal, so I'm looking forward to years of growing. I think I'll reach my mini-goal of classic by the end of next year; from BSL that's 2 1/2 years.

NativeGirl
June 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I was bald when I started growing it back out 5 years ago. I'm currently at hip length, and should be back to TBL (where I was when I lost my hair) by late August/early September (I'm estimating this based on slow growth. I could be there sooner). I would have been back to TBL much sooner had I not cut my hair three years ago to even it up.

PixxieStix
June 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Well, I started growing from chin length last year and am somewhere between .5-1 inch away from my longest layers being APL right now. My ultimate goal is tailbone, which is about 17 inches away, which would put me at three more years until my ultimate goal, only I'll probably need a couple trims along the way (one per year I would think, and once I reach BSL I want to get my layers fixed). My intermediate goal, where I personally think long hair starts, is BSL, and if all goes well, I should be there this time next year, so hopefully next year I'll be able to claim being a long hair again!

In total, from chin to tailbone, it will likely take me between 4-5 years, depending on how many trims I need/get along the way.

Yozhik
June 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I started LHC when my hair was SL and my original goal was BSL. I got there within a year.

Then I decided to aim for waist, which I got in about 8 or so months.

Then I decided to go even longer, for hip, which I was about 1.5 inches short of when I decided I had preferred my hair length around waist length, so I cut back. :)

So, in total, it took me about 2.5 years to figure out what hair length was right for me. :)

Alva
June 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
From BSL to hip took me about 1 year and 3 months. Now I am continuing to TB, which will take me about another year. Then I might go onto classic - thigh. Thigh I could achieve in 2 years, if the growth rate keeps up. Atm my hair is 32,5 inches. Getting to thigh would be 44 on me. In 2 years that should be possible, taking the 6 inches a year average. Mine grows slightly faster, so some small trims included in the calculation.

Shuan
June 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I've been growing it out for about two years now. I started at around ear length, and it is now BSL-ish.
Should take less than a year till it reaches waist, which is my goal. It doesn't really feel like it's growing though, it's a bit frustrating.
I sometimes cheat by tilting my head back, so it reaches past my waist. :D
I'm glad I reached past annoying stages though, just letting it gradually grow now.

lolot
June 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
It will take 2 years from now, and it has passed 2 years since chop, so 4 years.
The most slow and frustrating phase was from apl to bsl, when my hair was apl i had layers up to my ears and it was a very ugly time for my hair, i hated it but it has became better with all the LHC tips. Now im slowly getting rid of layers, having longer and healthier hair :D

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty much at my goal length now and it took me about 4 years to go from collarbone to tailbone, of course with trims and some bigger cuts along the way.

ladonna
June 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
It taken 8 months to go from shoulder to bsl, so about another 8 months to get to waist. Here's to hope...

annah
June 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have probably a year left to get to classic. My hair grows about 3/4" a month, but I expect to lose a couple inches to trimming. I just trimmed 1/2", so I am at 32 1/2 inches now, classic on me is 43".

I've been actively growing for almost 2 years, from slightly below shoulder, and I just hit hip. Man, that was a long time, just to get down my back! No wonder it seemed like forever.

Maybe since I am here, and learning to take proper care of my hair, I won't lose as much due to breakage and split ends. :)

IvanaGil
June 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I'm guessing it will take me about another year and a half to get to mid-thigh, which is my goal. I'm mid-butt right now. If my hair cooperates, maybe only a year! :)

Charlottie
June 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I haven't reached my goal yet, but it took me four years to get from chest length to TLB length. I don't know if I'll make it to my goal now since my hair hasn't grown since last summer.

CurlyCap
June 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
About 10 years.

I want waist length hair when curly with a thick full hemline. My hair is currently almost BSL and curls up to jut past my shoulder. It grows quickly, but a lot of the length is hidden in spirals. I do expect trims because I can't tolerate damaged ends.

I'm 1.5 years and when from shaved in the back to shoulder. I'm hoping for APL curly in another 2 years.

akilina
June 16th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Im a few inches past APL maybe 3 or 4 and a half...I need to get to BSL first before I am even remotely happy. It is possible that this could be a whole nother year. Lately I am actively being nice to my hair with much oiling and wearing it up. Hopefully I will hit BSL sooner than a year. I guess I will be able to tell more in 6 months. My BSL is very low since I am tall and FAT. :(
On the upside...after BSL, waist will only be another 3 or 4 inches. In the process I am hoping to lose weight. For some reason I gained 60 pounds in about 9 months. :/ I always wonder if losing weight would make my hair appear longer because it doesnt have as much fat to go over ahah I am so bad. :(

BlueMuse
June 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I started growing my hair at the beginning of 8th grade (about). I'm now 27. So it has been about 14 years. Some excessive trims and an unfortunate accident with a vacuum cleaner probably hindered growth, as well as wearing it down pretty much all the time until it was past waist. But my hair has not seemed to stop growing entirely, it just grows slowly.

So we'll see if I ever end up reaching knee. Who knows? It seems I average about 3 inches of growth a year.

Long_hair_bear
June 16th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Is taking too long an answer? :p

mrs_coffee
June 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
It has been one year and eight months since I started growing out my pixie. I'm currently about two inches from BSL (I need to update my avatar). I should be solidly BSL by my two-year anniversary. I'm a compulsive trimmer, and if I'd let my hair just grow I'd be at least five inches ahead of where I am now, but unevenness and dry ends make me crazy. At least I'm learning some patience.

ladylowtide
June 16th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I have no idea how long it will take to get down to TB, but I can tell you that it took just shy of a year to get from shoulder to BSL on me, which is about 8 inches.

leylusha
June 16th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Well I cut off my color treatment-damaged ends sometime early last year. I dyed my hair when I was 15, and I'm 19 now, so that means the oldest parts of my hair (my ends) are a maximum of 4 years old. My hair is about waist length, maybe shorter. That means if the growth rate is consistent, which it very well may not be, I'll be at tailbone in another four years!