PDA

View Full Version : White hair regaining color = ???

Dragon Faery
June 16th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Tonight I found the oddest thing. I have a hair on the side of my head which is about 7 inches long. The bottom half is white/silver, nearly coarse, and loosely kinked like a 3a curl if it were damaged. Halfway up, TOWARD the roots, it changes to light/medium brown and M/F texture, and 1a/b in straightness.

Has this or something equally strange happened to anyone else? Is there an explanation (scientific or otherwise) as to why a hair would grow in white for 4 months, then suddenly change to colored over the course of the following four months?

Things that could maybe have affected this (although I'm not a scientist so I really don't know):
I spent most of the winter in chronic pain and pretty depressed. I was also stressed out a lot of the time. I was probably malnourished from a vitamin/mineral standpoint, though I also gained about 10 pounds during that time. I let much of my hair care routine go out the window, CO washing only about once every 2 weeks and doing nothing else in the interim.
Around late February-ish, I started taking more vitamins and supplements, started feeling sporadically better physically and emotionally, and consequently became a little more active. I restarted my hair care routine, which includes taking several herbs in pill and/or tea forms, castor oil scalp massages, and more frequent washings (for the sake of my itchy scalp, which gets itchier when dirty).

I don't know if any of those things were a factor or not, but has this happened to anyone else?

Debra83
June 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Different things cause loss of colour.....from vitamin/nutrition defiency....medical reason (like shock).....medication....chemical......

I've read tons of nutritional information and definitely a better diet can totally contribute to regaining natural colour.

Bagginslover
June 16th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I don't know of reasons for it, but I have found a few like that on my head too, but with shorter periods of colour and grey. One looked like a lemur tail it was so stripy-an inch of each colour, repeated several times! Goodness know what was going on there!!

MonaMayfair
June 16th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Yes. When I first developed underactive thyroid, one of the symptoms was white hairs (which I didn't notice myself - my roots were medium to lightish blonde)

When I got onto the medication, the new growth was its normal color...

auburntressed
June 16th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I think also that when one starts to go gray naturally, it starts out in fits and bursts.

Kiwiwi
June 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I've had this happen once too. The last inches were white and the inches towards the root were my natural colour. I thought it was weird but moved on.
I think your explenation could very well be right.
And Auburntressed explenation sounds believable too.

I'm glad you're feeling better! :)

ariesfairies
June 16th, 2012, 07:06 AM
To put something on the table, in Year 9 of highschool I found a white (if not blonde) strand of hair in my braid back when it was still virgin/undyed. Couldn't explain it because I was 14 or 15 at the time and was no where ready for white hair nor do I rememeber anything really stressing me much... :confused: I compared it to different coloured fabrics, on the grey desk, put it in the light, back in my own hair and asked my best friend to check if I was seeing wrong. I tried to keep it, it was that strange! Sometime later an online friend of mine at the time a couple years older than I found a white hair herself.

Sounds like its worth a study...