PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D and Shedding?

carolinaberry
June 15th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi. I posted a little about this in another thread I started about my shed. My dr today suggested the possibility my crazy shed (and other symptoms)*may* have been triggered by a plummet in vitamin D production (caused by moving from the very harshly sunny CO to the filtered light of WA). I will be having blood tests done on Monday.

My dr. was in a hurry, so I couldn't really get more information from her, especially since right now it is just one theory of several. Do any of you who know more about health and nutrition and holistic meds know about the link between vitamin D deficiency/reduction and shedding?

natural_shine
June 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi. I posted a little about this in another thread I started about my shed. My dr today suggested the possibility my crazy shed (and other symptoms)*may* have been triggered by a plummet in vitamin D production (caused by moving from the very harshly sunny CO to the filtered light of WA). I will be having blood tests done on Monday.

My dr. was in a hurry, so I couldn't really get more information from her, especially since right now it is just one theory of several. Do any of you who know more about health and nutrition and holistic meds know about the link between vitamin D deficiency/reduction and shedding?

I don't think so, lack of vit D doesn't cause hair to shed... I shed very little and I sleep during the day and stay active at night, so my vitamin D levels must be very very low, cause the body needs light to make it...

Slug Yoga
June 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I don't think so, lack of vit D doesn't cause hair to shed... I shed very little and I sleep during the day and stay active at night, so my vitamin D levels must be very very low, cause the body needs light to make it...

You can get it from food sources as well! It's possible that your diet is giving you a good amount of vitamin D.

carolinaberry, I'm from WA, so I know the pain of low sunlight. I don't know about hair shedding in particular but having enough vitamin D is important. I try to get enough for energy and seasonal affective disorder reasons. IIRC it also helps you metabolize calcium. (Which reminds me, I'm out of supplements.)

carolinaberry
June 15th, 2012, 10:40 PM
You can get it from food sources as well! It's possible that your diet is giving you a good amount of vitamin D.

carolinaberry, I'm from WA, so I know the pain of low sunlight. I don't know about hair shedding in particular but having enough vitamin D is important. I try to get enough for energy and seasonal affective disorder reasons. IIRC it also helps you metabolize calcium. (Which reminds me, I'm out of supplements.)

I actually have (diagnosed) *reverse* seasonal affective disorder...the sun makes me feel irritable, disconnected and forlorn. I feel safe and exhilarated when it is stormy/rainy. I'm actually disappointed with how little rain and how much sun has been here in WA since I've gotten here. But, in CO Springs, the sunlight wasn't really filtered, and I got "plenty" just from walking to my car, etc. I burn very quickly, so I won't be sitting outside with no sunblock for 10-15 min a day like she suggested. I will be taking a supplement and eating foods with vitamin D.

carolinaberry
June 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM

I also sleep pretty late and stay up late (long ago a doctor told me that my circadian clock is backward and many doctors have confirmed this opinion)...the dr's theory is that the sudden change from all of the sun I got in CO (not by my choice) to the filtered light here could have caused a sudden decrease. It's only one of her theories, and I have to wait for the blood tests to see what's what. I just figured someone on here would know about this kind of thing.

Kerrilynn
June 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Typically, one of the main reasons for excessive shedding is lack of protein. Really, any nutritional imbalance can cause excessive shedding and hair loss. I've not heard about Vit D deficiency causing it, though. I have chronically low vit D, it's pretty stable now, though barely after taking precsription mega-doses of vit D. What I did notice was that after starting a B-100 Complex and Folic Acid, my hair got much, much healthier and thicker! I still shed quite a bit, though.

Rini
June 15th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Interesting. I was very low in Vit D. After looking at my blood results, my doc gave me a vitamin D injection (which is supposed to last 3 months). I don't shed hair excessively and have noticed no change in my hair since having that injection.

Slug Yoga
June 16th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I also sleep pretty late and stay up late (long ago a doctor told me that my circadian clock is backward and many doctors have confirmed this opinion)...the dr's theory is that the sudden change from all of the sun I got in CO (not by my choice) to the filtered light here could have caused a sudden decrease. It's only one of her theories, and I have to wait for the blood tests to see what's what. I just figured someone on here would know about this kind of thing.

Huh, I seem to have both (regular) seasonal affective disorder AND a backward circadian clock (it's been diagnosed as delayed sleep phase syndrome). I've never talked to anyone else who had that condition before!

carolinaberry
June 16th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Huh, I seem to have both (regular) seasonal affective disorder AND a backward circadian clock (it's been diagnosed as delayed sleep phase syndrome). I've never talked to anyone else who had that condition before!

Me neither, but it does make sense that they would be co-morbid. Not ALL doctors want to treat it as valid...they think "forcing yourself into a better sleeping schedule" will work...and it just doesn't. I don't want to be on heavy sleeping meds, but I have Ambien for when I HAVE to be somewhere early the next day. So many people just assume people with a backwards are lazy or something. I say I do every bit as much, if not more, in my waking hours as someone who gets up as 6am, so how is that lazy?

carolinaberry
June 16th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Interesting. I was very low in Vit D. After looking at my blood results, my doc gave me a vitamin D injection (which is supposed to last 3 months). I don't shed hair excessively and have noticed no change in my hair since having that injection.

This might not be the answer to my shedding issue, it was just something she suggested. We moved to WA as a military move, so at the Army hospital they probably treat a lot of people who are negatively affected by the change of weather. She kind of looked at me like I am stupid when I told her I cannot sit outside in the sun with no protection for more than a minute or two or I start to burn...but I really do! She also referred to the sun as helping with "depression", though I had told the screening nurse I am not "depressed" I just "don't feel well".

kitten1986
June 16th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Hi Carolinaberry
I have recently gone through a massive shed and I am now on the road to recovery, so hang in there! I have a high index of suspicion that low vitamin D was the cause of my shed too as I had moved from a very sunny state to a place where the sun rarely comes out. I have now been diagnosed with SAD too except I am like you and not 'depressed' as such, just really apathetic about everything and I just feel off. Its a tough one to handle because I also cannot spend a lot of time in the sun because I have had a melanoma in the past.

I am a medical student and I know a bit about vitamin D and its role in your body (and hair) so I hope I can help you a little bit with your query. Vitamin D is a pretty integral vitamin and if you are deficient it can cause a wide range of problems.

Vitamin D is co transported with calcium into your blood in the small intestine, so if you lack vit D then you are also likely calcium deficient too, which leads to breakdown of bone and long term leads to osteoporosis.
Calcium is also really important in hair growth as it helps produce the keratinised protein that your hairs are made up of... so low calcium = bad growth and shedding.

Vitamin D is also cotransported from your small intestine into your blood with essential fatty acids and proteins, so once again low vit D leads to low fatty acids and proteins in your body which will definitely have a detrimental effect on your hair growth, quality and shedding.

As a side note vit D is also really important with neural functioning! They think that vitamin D deficiency can lead to Alzheimer's and other conditions later in life!

So as far as I know, vit D deficiency had an indirect effect on hair growth because if you dont have vit D then you are not absorbing everything you need from your diet.

You can supplement vitamin D but just remember it is toxic in high doses, so I would suggest you go back to your doctor (or speak to the pharmacist) and discuss treatment that will work for you, vitamins and 'natural therapies' are just as dangerous as any other pharmaceutical product, just because you can buy them over the counter doesnt mean they are safe and effective.
I would also suggest that if your doctor doesn't have time to listen and explain things it might be time to find one that will! I personally use a vitamin D with fish out capsule as they are absorbed better when they are together :D

Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it all soon!

~BoHemiAngel~
July 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Vitamin D deficiency can absolutely contribute to shedding! It's role in hair follicle cycling is still not entirely understood, but research is showing that the receptor for Vitamin D has some effect on the anagen (new growth) phase. Problems with this phase could potentially present as decreased amounts of new growth, or excessive growth of new hairs which push out the longer, older hair in the telogen phase. Check out this article for more information: http://dermatology.cdlib.org/1602/reviews/vitamind/rashid.html

I did a lot of research on the web after being diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency myself recently, and I am praying this could be the cause of my 4 year-long massive shed. (Yes, all other blood results including iron, ferritin, and thyroid came back normal.) I'm taking 8,000 IU's of Vit D3 per day (note that I was found to be deficient, this is not a recommended dose for everyone to take) that I will take for about one month, then drop down to a lower maintenance dose once my levels hopefully return to normal in a month or so. Fingers crossed!

Also, I might as well post this other great article about women's hair loss that I came across during my search: http://www.womentowomen.com/womenshealth/femalehairloss.aspx I hope you find something that helps you! :flower: