PDA

View Full Version : Do people mistake your hair for extensions?

Rufflebutt
June 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM
My hair is getting pretty long. Not terribly long, but it now reaches the small of my back. :) It's not much longer than average, but I get a high frequency of "I like your extensions!"/"Your hair is so long, is it extensions?" I normally just take it as a compliment because they normally mean well and it must mean my hair is fairly long and well-groomed if they mistake it for not being mine. :P
One time though, a girl asked if I had extensions and when I said,"No it's all mine. :)" she gave me a dirty look and went "oh." :T It left me really confused for the rest of the day.

Anyways, has anyone else had this happen? Share you stories, I'm really interested. :)

GoddessLocks
June 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
im interested to hear any stories as well lol. When my hair was long, I never got asked that.

Rufflebutt
June 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
im interested to hear any stories as well lol. When my hair was long, I never got asked that. I'm guessing people ask that with me because I dye and style mine quite a bit. :P Some of the other au-natural ladies on this forum might not get it so much for that reason.

misspurdy06
June 15th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I haven't gotten that since high school. Though usually after they asked and I answered they would run their fingers through my hair/ feel my scalp.

Rufflebutt
June 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM
im interested to hear any stories as well lol. When my hair was long, I never got asked that.

I haven't gotten that since high school. Though usually after they asked and I answered they would run their fingers through my hair/ feel my scalp.
Of course! They gotta feel for tracks and stuff. :P That way they can catch you in tracks if you're lying. Literally.

Amarante
June 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Funny that you posted this; I've been asked 3x the past couple of weeks if I've got them. I take it as a compliment, since it means people think my hair is abnormally long.

Tia2010
June 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Not me, my hair isn't really long yet, but my SIL has been asked that.

Some years ago we were at a party and some friends that hadn't seen her in a while asked her if she had gotten extensions (she was a little past waist) Then they just had to feel her head to see if she was lying when she said no :rolleyes:

Grillz
June 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've had former students ask me if I have extensions because my hair is so much longer than it was last year. I tell them no but they still ask every time!

xoerincolleen
June 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've been asked "is that all yours?" a couple of times. Both times it was when I had it in a braid, which I think is kind of weird because my hair obviously looks longer/bigger/fuller/whatever when it's down. I don't think it's really long enough to look like extensions, though!

IvanaGil
June 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've never gotten that and I have mid-butt length! I guess it's because girls who wear extensions don't get mid-butt length lol. Plus my hair is all one length and I can usually tell when someone is wearing extensions because it tends to look choppy and two-toned.

gonzobird
June 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I wear my hair up for work (taking care of peoples fish tanks :) And when i wear it own at my part time job at a salon... its ALWAyS... WOW! you're hair is sooo long! Did you get extensions???? "

I kinda love it. Everyone there is jealous of it.;)

Slug Yoga
June 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hehe, this is completely based on my own conjecture but maybe it has something to do with how common natural long hair vs. extensions is in your particular area. Like if long hair is pretty rare, and extensions are common, people will be more likely to jump to that conclusion. :shrug:

Rufflebutt
June 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hehe, this is completely based on my own conjecture but maybe it has something to do with how common natural long hair vs. extensions is in your particular area. Like if long hair is pretty rare, and extensions are common, people will be more likely to jump to that conclusion. :shrug: I honestly had no clue that extensions were very common in my area until a few months ago when a couple of girls in my class were talking about having to get them tightened. XD Then after that, I found out that half the girls I knew with "long hair" actually were strutting around artificial length. Not that it's a bad thing, because I honestly thought it looked really natural and nice.

justgreen
June 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I get asked that a lot. I think part of it is because I have three layers .

Jesabel
June 15th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Even though I'm only MBL I have been asked that. Probably because my hair is fine, so when it's up (which it mostly is) it looks a lot shorter than it would be, so when I let it down it suprises my friends! :grin:

Neneka
June 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
My mother asked me when my hair was about BSL. I took it as a compliment and I think it was meant as a compliment.

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I've only gotten that once in my life, after a salon blowout for a school formal.
I'm guessing it's because the blowout straightened my waves and made it seem longer. But still kind of weird, since it wasn't that much longer. Ah well. I took it as a compliment because she said it in an admiring way, not an accusatory way.

ludwig20
June 16th, 2012, 12:40 AM
my hair is nearly BSL and very thick, so i've had two people ask if i have extensions on. :)

auburntressed
June 16th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I have never been asked if I have extensions - ever. My hair is BCL right now, and it has rarely in my life been shorter than between waist and hip length.

But I also don't wear my hair down when I am out. The last time I wore my hair down regularly, I was about fourteen years old. It was the same length then that it is now, but I think that most people do not expect fourteen year olds to have extensions. Plus, it probably didn't look nice enough for it to be fake. :p

Back when I was about that age, though (my summers from ages 13-16), the director of the youth camp I went to was mildly obsessed with my hair. Because it was summer camp, I kept my hair in a french braid 24/7 while there. He would come up behind me and pick up my braid and say things like, "That is amazing! I've never seen a braid that thick before! It's like it isn't real!" At least once a day. Anyone who was around me at the time would roll their eyes at him, like he was some kind of idiot. Can't say I blamed them. You'd think after four summers, he'd get used to seeing it.

Bagginslover
June 16th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I was asked once, a few years ago. I had had it cut the day before, to add much shorter layers, but left the origional length alone. It did make it look longer because of the difference in length of the layers, and it was said as a compliment, so I didn't mind at all :)

It nearly that long again now, and I'm very tempted to get the layers done again....

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm half-black with long, currently straight hair. All I GET are questions about whether my hair is real.

Granted, sometimes it isn't, but that's okay. XD

Ticky
June 16th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I have been asked on a couple of occasions, but now that everybody I am around knows, they have stopped asking.

luxepiggy
June 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, all the time. I take it as a compliment. I figure it means they think my hair looks nice enough that someone would be willing to pay for it - those extensions are pricey! (^(oo)^)v

Also, I think I fit the profile of someone who would be likely to have extensions - young, style-conscious, kind of a party girl, etc.

MonaMayfair
June 16th, 2012, 04:41 AM
One of my friends, who I don't see regularly, asked me that last week. I was wearing my hair loose, and the last time she saw it loose, it was about two and a half years ago when it was cut in a chin length bob.
She looked a bit put out when I told her I'd actually just had nearly two inches cut off.
I think HER hair's longer than mine incidentally, I'm getting near waist length at the moment.

I've only been asked once before, when I was clubbing. My hair was much longer then, and its natural blonde color. It looked almost white under the lighting in the club, so maybe it did look fake!

Amanah
June 16th, 2012, 04:55 AM
no, people see my hair and wonder why I'm not using extensions, hahahah, :(

Zesty
June 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Nope. I don't think anyone would even expect that of me because it's not my style at all. Also I wear my hair up all the time, and my hair isn't particularly fast growing, and I don't have many layers, so none of it adds up really.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
No but when they do I'm going to say nope its the real deal.

Sisgoldenhair65
June 16th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Yes....rececently I wore my hair in a french braid to work and along with lots of people tugging on it one co worker asked "is that all yours?". Also, my SIL and another person at work asked of I got extensions a while ago. I just love that people are so shocked that hair actually grows if you let it! Lol. Just leave it alone and no extensions necessary.

RitaCeleste
June 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Nobody ever thinks I bought my hair. I shed and regrow. I have frizz more often than not. Everyone always knows knows I color it because its always as unnatural as I can get away with. Occasionally I'll get color questions. But everyone sees a simple style, a difficult texture to manage and they know it is my hair. I had a spiral perm once years ago and someone asked if it was a hair piece, they were selling them at the mall. I would be like insanely thrilled to have people think I bought my hair. Now that would be a good hair day!

Rowanne
June 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Yes, all the time. I take it as a compliment. I figure it means they think my hair looks nice enough that someone would be willing to pay for it - those extensions are pricey! (^(oo)^)v

They ARE! I had no idea how pricey, until I saw an advert - 420€ it said, that's about $530. Phew.

My Dad recently asked me if I have extensions. I was really surprised that he asked since I'm more of the au natural type. I don't dye and this isn't exactly the first time I have long hair. His girlfriend uses extensions so maybe it's the natural thing to do in his opinion. :shrug:

ladyfey
June 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I get that all the time. It is always up in a bun, people think it is a clip on. I think it is weird, since the rest of me has such a low-mantainance look, that people think I'd bother with some fake hair.

Nikinka
June 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
No, only once someone ask me if I have extensions.

Tota
June 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Yup. My hair is layered. When freshly washed my longest layers are straight while the shorter ones are quite wavy. That makes people think that the longest layers are fake hair :( After a few days of wearing buns/braids all my hair looks the same so then I don't get questions like that.

Sunshineliz
June 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Nope, never. Probably they'd think anyone who got got extensions would also probably bother to dye their hair.:p

Although my hair was very long as a teen (and I hadn't gone gray) I don't think they were common yet. Actually, I had no idea what they even were until a few years ago.

PolarCathy
June 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Regularly, and I don't quite get why. :o

Avital88
June 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM
yes i get that one a lot,especially because i have layers!
A lot of girls (aquintances) greet me with a stroke on the back of my head(extensions check lol),its actually quite funny(or sad?) that people always assume something nice to be fake.

DaniVerde
June 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Regularly, and I don't quite get why. :o

Because if Sweden is anything like Finland, right now extensions are super popular and common :)

PolarCathy
June 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Because if Sweden is anything like Finland, right now extensions are super popular and common :)

I never notice such things so I'm always perplexed when somebody asks me. Of course it's my hair.

Well it's partly because I'd never wear extensions or wear/do anything else "fake" like plastic surgery so it's easy to fool me because I don't assume that of others either. LOL

I just got to know like a week ago why a girl at the Swedish course had a headband, always. Every single day. She's African and she had it at WL+, I thought, straightened. I should have known it. LOL!

DaniVerde
June 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I simply noticed it because all of the sudden all of the teenagers who had SL hair at Christmas are running around with (frankly, ratty-looking) MBL or WL hair, the lengths of which doesn't often match the top part of their hair...then I realized, Duh! Extensions! :D

Seeshami
June 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
When I have my hair in a braid and only a braid I get the "Is that all REAL?" all the time.

Hollyfire3
June 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I simply noticed it because all of the sudden all of the teenagers who had SL hair at Christmas are running around with (frankly, ratty-looking) MBL or WL hair, the lengths of which doesn't often match the top part of their hair...then I realized, Duh! Extensions! :D

Lol! I always wonder why extenstions so often don't have a blunt hemline...always ratty looking normally.

Dovetail
June 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'm dreaming of the day someone might ask me that! It'd mean I have LOOONGG hair! Right now, no one asks me that, I'm only around mid back though.

Tabitha
June 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
My hair looks too scruffy to be extensions! :o plus, I don't mix with people who tend to think of extensions as an option. I don't know anybody IRL who has ever had them.

swearnsue
June 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
no, people see my hair and wonder why I'm not using extensions, hahahah, :(

LOL! Probably what people are thinking about my hair too!

Ravenwind
June 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
When my hair was long I used to get asked if I wear extensions. I didn't know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing O.o

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I believe that you would be asked this possibly if your hair was super long and thick and healthy, Or if your hair was shorter and had a really bad disconnected haircut.
Nothing peeves me more than people who wear extensions badly blended and with their tracks hanging out.
It's so weird. Do people not expect that someone actually grew their hair that nice and automatically assume its not real?

heidi w.
June 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I've been asked that a myriad of times, most frequently around two days ago. I let my hair down upon request, and the lady even felt it, and then a while into the convo we were having at a Tango dance club, she asked if it was my real hair or extensions. I told her it was all mine. I took it as a compliment of sorts. It's just easier to give the benefit of the doubt. I don't let people's comments confound me anymore. It's just not worth it. IF they didn't communicate clearly enough, it's not my problem. And most times, the person isn't important enough to me to care about to get all befuddled about a simple comment.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 19th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Lol! I always wonder why extenstions so often don't have a blunt hemline...always ratty looking normally.

Because after they're put in, then one cuts the style, so they give a bit of length so the dresser has plenty of room to work with.

It's not quite like a wig where it's shaped into length/style before it goes on someone's head.

heidi w.

DaniVerde
June 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM

I'm NOT saying nor implying that non-blunt hemlines are ratty, Hollyfire.

I'm saying that most of the extensions that I see around here are ratty-looking. Ratty meaning shabby, unkempt or matted. It is certainly not a matter of hemline choice.

What one person likes in a hemline is their own choice, and I find it quite limiting and demeaning to imply that only one type is preferable.

Diamond.Eyes
June 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM
People ask if my hair is colored more than they ask if it is extensions, but as it gets longer people ask fairly often if I have hair extensions. I never really take offense to these questions anymore as I've realized people genuinely ask me out of curiosity as opposed to some other motive. They are actually really nice when I tell them it is my real hair and tell me things like "never cut it" or tell me it looks really healthy. It doesn't bother me, I just let them know it is all mine. :shrug:

prettykitty
June 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Nope, I don't get asked that. People ask about the color a lot though. My SIL had extensions for awhile, they looked good down but when she tied it up you could see the clip things in back....not my cup of tea at all :/

Amygirl8
June 19th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sometimes, yeah. :rolleyes:
I think it's because I have grown-out bangs that I've maintained at chin/shoulder (since I hate how my hair looks all pulled back but I'm too lazy to go get actual bangs) that are sorta thick, and they're a bit noticable with my hair down. So it looks like I have one layer at chin, and then another at almost-hip.
But most people know it's my real hair :]

Covet
June 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yes, when my hair was creeping towards BSL a few years back. People actually pulled it and asked if it was extensions or a wig. Lol. It was extremely annoying and embarrassing :(. I'll probably get more of the same once my hair gets longer.

MeganE
June 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM

I noticed someone wearing fake extensions for the first time on Sunday for this exact reason. I'd never seen her before, but it was so obviously fake. If all extensions were like that, it would be an insult to be asked if that's what you were wearing! But I know some can be much nicer. Nobody's ever asked me and they probably won't since my layers have grown out. :happydance:

koala
June 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
No one has ever asked if I have extensions. Maybe they will when it gets longer.
But I have been asked a few times if it's a wig. I guess because it's thick and has quite a bit of volume.

WaterMusic
June 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
No, but I don't usually wear my hair down in public. And I don't have layers, it's all one length.

MrsGuther
June 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I've been complimented on what some woman called my 'stripper weave'. Lol the lady then told me she had just ordered some extensions that length. I had to tell her it was all mine! Lol

MissManda
June 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Nope, it hasn't happened to me. I have to admit that I'm kind of looking forward to being asked that question for the sheer novelty of it. :p

PixxieStix
June 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Sadly, my hair is nowhere near long enough to be the focus of such questions, but I cannot wait for the day it is! I wear it up constantly though, and because of the thickness I've been asked if I have really long hair "hidden in those buns", but told them I'm barely APL. I'll take it as a great compliment the day I'm asked if my hair is extensions!

carolinaberry
June 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Way way back when I was around 17 I got a spiral perm on my BSL hair. My MIL at the time (yes, I was married with a baby) made an offhand comment that I had "weave" (extensions). I said, "No, I just got a perm." She said, "There is no way your hair is naturally that thick." She was ANGRY. I insisted she run her fingers all through my hair and along my scalp. She was still angry with me that it wasn't weave. I think she'd never known anyone who changed textures like that unless it was fake hair...so it wasn't an issue with length, since I'd had long hair as longish hair as long as she had known me.

WaitingSoLong
June 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM
The people I know who have sported extensions don't try to hide the fact they are extensions anymore than they try to pretend their make-up is their natural skin color. They don't care if people know they are fake. Hmm.

I get asked if my hair is real. Not specifically extensions. I just got asked this today which is why this thread caught my eye. I had a paranda braided in my hair and I think they thought fake hair was braided in, too.

firevegan
June 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM
When I had long hair about a year ago, I was approached by a hair extension woman. She asked me my name and asked where I got my extensions, and said she'd like to do them next time. Explained to me about micro-beading. I said "Oh they're not extensions."

bratz81
June 20th, 2012, 04:36 AM
When I used to have really long hair (classic+) I was in my teens/early twenties. Extensions weren't that common then (this would be about 10-15 years ago when I was between 15 and 20) apart from celebrities for films etc so no-one ever asked me.

My hair is between APL and BSL right now so not long enough yet to be asked.

Tristania
June 20th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Nope, never. Maybe my hair just doesn't look that great:p

Odonata
June 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
i usually travel round with my hir up - living in london it is windy/wet/cold and never good weather for out locks. so ups it is so i dont get a lot of public attention - but i am a model and dispite my modeling portfolios stating my hair length - having pictures of it and that it is mine a comment like "is it all yours?" if often the first thing a photographer says once my hair comes down -

i usually say "yup! i grew it it all by myself!"

pink.sara
June 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Yes, more and more often as it grows longer again.

But then my hair is always a cartoon colour, poker straight and freakishly shiny so it looks like dolls hair.
(Or those Kanekalon extensions people like Rihanna and Jessie J sport.)

I don't mind until people ask then don't believe me when I respond that it's all mine and try to touch it. Yuk.

Safira
June 20th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, many many times. And about curls too. I guess my hair looks like plastic or a wig :o

Cirafly24
June 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Once in a while someone will comment on the length and ask if I have extensions. I think it's happened two or three times.

Nedertane
June 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM
No, not that I can think of. Probably because of how not nice my hair looks. ;) Who knows though, they might just assume I have extensions and not ask. I once mentioned to some friends that I don't straighten my hair, and the topic had never been brought up before, and they were surprised. So, maybe people in my area just don't ask about that sort of thing. Plus, since it's not ultra-thick looking like extensions tend to look (not in a bad way), it probably doesn't come up as a possibility.

Dragon Faery
June 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM
Not so far! :)
And I doubt they will, unless I visit a place where extensions are coommon, or else a tourist from some such place visits here.
Where I live, TBL hair is fairly common, so mine will be considered short for a good while yet. And I'm pretty sure I've seen Knee at least once.

Tristania
June 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, more and more often as it grows longer again.

But then my hair is always a cartoon colour, poker straight and freakishly shiny so it looks like dolls hair.
(Or those Kanekalon extensions people like Rihanna and Jessie J sport.)

I don't mind until people ask then don't believe me when I respond that it's all mine and try to touch it. Yuk.
I can't stand it when people try to touch my hair! Since when is hair not a part of someone's personal space?

eicamawa
June 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I don't hear this very often, but once I had to show a girl my scalp to show her that there wasn't any extensions there. She then, finaly, became convinced it was my real hair.

afu
June 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't get the extention comment but people don't believe my colour isn't totally natural or they think my curls aren't natural. When people compliment my hair i always just say 'thanks, i grew it myself' !!

hyettf16
June 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah but I understand now because my layers almost make my hair look like extensions.

AutumnLocks
August 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
I've never had anyone ask that. When I wore acrylic nails people were always asing me "Are those your nails?" My answer was "Darn right they are mine! I paid good money for them!" lol

elea
August 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
people don't even ask, as my hair is up very often (i dance and work as a dressmaker so, it is convenient), they simply assume i have hair pieces on or extensions. i had many friends/clients look really surprised when, one day, i turned-up with my hair let loose or undid the hair-do to re-adjust it. i find it very amusing.
i understand why, with the extreme fringe and the colors (which fade at each wash a bit), i could more easily have extensions/pieces on short hair than have it this length (last layer is at my waistline).
once they have worked out what is really going on with my hair cut, then the questions are endless.

the nails, yes. i often get asked where i get them. the answer is: where you got yours (as i don't meet many people with fake nails) *;O)
autumnlocks: i find your answer brilliant!

Demi-Plum
August 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've never been asked if my hair had extensions in it. And my hair has been long all my life. The biggest comment I get is "wow your hair is long!" and I'm like "....yes, yes it is...."

anodyne_ame
August 3rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
The only time people have thought I have extensions is when I'm wearing a sockbun. I've coloured my hair ages ago so the ends are a bit darker than my roots - which means that my bun is a bit darker than the rest.
So I've had such comments as: "Oh it's all your own hair? It's not just a hairball you plomp on your head??" That one made me laugh :D (and also that was the first time I realised that my bun is a different colour)

Springpaw
August 4th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I've only been asked once. I always had my hair in a ponytail in 8th grade, my classmates saw it down maybe once :P And then in 9th grade a girl asked me if I had extensions in it, probably because it grew quite fast :) Sadly it doesn't feel like it grows at fast any more :P

veetee12
August 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I can explain why people ask that. Nowadays, REAL long hair is not very commonplace, since most women do a lot of chemical treatments, heat styling, try the latest cut whenever a celebrity had one, ergo, the hair never gets to grow very long. So if they want to have long hair, it has to be extensions. Even Hollywood royalty all have extensions with very few exceptions (though none come to mind, but I am sure they're there - somewhere) . Most of the time when they suddenly "cut it all short into a chin length bob" they just cut whatever is damaged from the extensions and it was never that long to begin with.

I personally do not know ANYBODY with hair significantly longer than mine (and I had to cut it b/c I, too, got into that rut of experimenting and ruined my virgin hair to a point that I had to cut it to shoulder length earlier this year!). I used to have mid-back length, not much to write home about in this forum, but by far longer than anybody else I know!

So, take it as a compliment if you get asked again, for your long tresses being real must be something like an "I-just-saw-a-real-unicorn" experience to the one asking.

And to those with the beautiful long hair (*envious*) who do not get asked, it might just be that you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and nobody dares to ask.

RobieFlakes
August 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I got asked once, so flattered.

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM
its very thin and on a SL so i dont think so lol :)

Oksana
August 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
During the day it's only happened a handful of times but on a night out I get asked all the time. I take it as a compliment :)

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
During the day it's only happened a handful of times but on a night out I get asked all the time. I take it as a compliment :)

i dont blame them your hair is gorgeous :)

Impulsive
August 5th, 2012, 12:58 AM
No, I've never had anyone ask if my hair is extensions, but a little while ago I had someone ask if I was going to have my hair made into extensions and tell me people would pay a lot of money for it... I must admit, I had mixed feelings about her comments and still do: My initial thought was that people wouldn't pay for something if they didn't think it looked good, which made me feel quite flattered, but at the same time I also felt she was giving me a back handed insult, because all the hair extensions I've ever noticed have looked bad, and even though I'm pretty sure she didn't mean to imply my hair looked bad, I was self conscious about it for the rest of the day...

Valorie
August 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I have been asked this a couple times in the last year now. I think it is because extensions have become so popular and also my ends are a slightly different color than the top.

ladylowtide
August 5th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I am so flattered when I finally got asked if I had gotten extensions. It was just a little while ago. I could understand why she thought that way because my hair has been growing in length and thickness a lot, I would have never thought I could grow this much hair a year ago.

veetee12
August 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM
When my hair was still long I never got asked either, but that is probably because I am a no-heat styling kinda girl and my hair is naturally ... ahem ... let's call it unruly. I have something between somewhat straight, wavy and sometimes downright curly and everything in between and all at the same time. So while it never looked bad when I wore it down (obviously or I would have put it up), nobody ever would pay so much money for long extensions that look like ... well, THAT. :D

blondie9912
August 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I wish! Then I will know that my hair is getting long ;)

noelgirl
August 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Last week a little girl at my internship started playing with my ponytail and asked if it was my real hair. I can see why she thought that, though, because this girl's older sister (all of about 12 y.o.) wears a different wig or clip-on pony every day, so most of the long hair she sees is fake. Plus, her own hair was type 4 in cornrows, so my fluffy pony was really different to her.

Venefica
August 5th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I have been asked if it is real once and at another time someone thought my hair was a wig, but usually I think people see that it real or is to polite to ask.

mzBANGBANG
August 5th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I never get asked, maybe I will in a year or so :)

On another note I was surprised to see how many people actually do have extensions. I think I am naive (or possibly, I just don't care) but it always shocks me when someone says they have extensions, probably in the same way someone says they had a nose job or some kind of cosmetic surgery. But I'm also fairly convinced I have face-amnesia, so that might be why I'm actually shocked.

piffyanne
August 5th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I've never had anyone ask that. When I wore acrylic nails people were always asing me "Are those your nails?" My answer was "Darn right they are mine! I paid good money for them!" lol
I love this! ^ :cheese:

I can explain why people ask that. Nowadays, REAL long hair is not very commonplace, since most women do a lot of chemical treatments, heat styling, try the latest cut whenever a celebrity had one, ergo, the hair never gets to grow very long. So if they want to have long hair, it has to be extensions. Even Hollywood royalty all have extensions with very few exceptions (though none come to mind, but I am sure they're there - somewhere) . Most of the time when they suddenly "cut it all short into a chin length bob" they just cut whatever is damaged from the extensions and it was never that long to begin with.

I personally do not know ANYBODY with hair significantly longer than mine (and I had to cut it b/c I, too, got into that rut of experimenting and ruined my virgin hair to a point that I had to cut it to shoulder length earlier this year!). I used to have mid-back length, not much to write home about in this forum, but by far longer than anybody else I know!

So, take it as a compliment if you get asked again, for your long tresses being real must be something like an "I-just-saw-a-real-unicorn" experience to the one asking.

And to those with the beautiful long hair (*envious*) who do not get asked, it might just be that you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and nobody dares to ask. (Emphasis ^^ by Piffyanne.)

I agree with the Unicorn part. I've actually had the same idea before. I sometimes wonder if I should carry around a unicorn-horn-on-a-headband contraption, so when I head someone approach from behind to ask about my hair, I can pop it on and take them the whole nine yards with the experience.:cool:

But that would probably come off as "creepy." :flasher: I'd probably give some little kid nightmares. :crazyq:

People get weirded out really easily. I wish I could do whatever without fear of terrifying the masses.:rolleyes:

Back on topic: no, I've never been asked if I have extensions. I get the "whoa, your hair is so long!" allllll the time, but they never ask. I guess I don't dress like someone who would have paid for extensions, or something.

Wait, should I start getting insulted people DON'T ask me?? ;)

Sagi1982
August 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I was surprised they do! :D I don't think my hair is that long, but several people asked if its my own or extensions.

jojo
August 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I've only been asked once by my cousin, she just said " your hair is long isn't it?" can't say I noticed! Then she followed by " is it all yours" lol! And even stranger was a perfect stranger I got chatting too said, " why don't you cut your hair short and get extensions!" ha ha now why would I do that? People are sure strange!

Tota
August 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM
No. People who know me know that I would never wear extensions (couldn't be bothered) and strangers do not ask questions like that here where I live. People here are mostly like anywhere else but they would never just approach someone to aks about hair or anything like that. Maybe one person in 10.000 would do that but would be frowned upon :)

palaeoqueen
August 6th, 2012, 04:48 AM
No but it's only just past shoulder length, maybe one day!