PDA

View Full Version : grass is greener

Tawnylioness
June 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
so if i dont like my virgin ashy mousy brown colour, and i dont want to box colour, and im too chicken to henna ~ what do i do! :wail:

lapushka
June 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
You don't have to (permanently) box color. You could pick semi permanent dyes in shades that you like. It'll then wash out in x-number of washes. No harm done. Maybe do that until you know for sure what to do with your hair. And for the record, you may not like your hair, but many of us here do like this color (you may want to check out the blonette pride (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80416&highlight=blonette) thread to see).

Vanille_
June 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Manic Panic is a good choice. It's semi-permanant and it won't harm your hair. I use Vampire Red on my unbleached hair.

spidermom
June 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I agree - a Manic Panic-type fantasy color or temporary more human hair-color dye. There are colors that wash out in about 6-8 shampooings. You can mix it up a bit without destroying your natural hair.

MiamiPineapple
June 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I used another dye like manic panic called Splat! in black....the other colors they have are pretty crazy but its only temporary so no damage. I would also recomment Healthy Look temporary color you can buy it a CVS or any drug store.

Tia2010
June 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I agree with the Manic Panic suggestions. Love it. It's fun and doesn't damage your hair :)

swearnsue
June 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
so if i dont like my virgin ashy mousy brown colour, and i dont want to box colour, and im too chicken to henna ~ what do i do! :wail:

I looked at your profile and I wouldn't call your hair mousy brown, or even ashy. I see red highlights in beautiful dark brunette hair. But if you want to play with colors I can understand that.

pepperminttea
June 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
And for the record, you may not like your hair, but many of us here do like this color (you may want to check out the blonette pride (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80416&highlight=blonette) thread to see).

Agreed, that is a great thread to check out. People seem to be set up to dislike this colour, the typical names for it are so negative ("dirty blonde," "dishwater," etc.), and many are encouraged to highlight it to make it a more typical blonde, or dye it completely, which is such a shame. It's a beautiful hair colour, too, and the chatoyance of it between cool blondes and browns always struck me as rather lovely. :flower:

LaFlor
June 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Semi-permanents always help me get through those kinds of moments. There are some brands that sell more "normal" colors. Browns, Reds, Blacks, etc. By the time it washes out I am usually happy to see my natural color again!

Tawnylioness
June 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I looked at your profile and I wouldn't call your hair mousy brown, or even ashy. I see red highlights in beautiful dark brunette hair. But if you want to play with colors I can understand that.

my hair is half dyed and changes colour in light, i had dyed it black a while ago but it changed rather rapidly :P

Tawnylioness
June 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
that thread is a nice one, i think growing out my natural and when i get bored using a temp colour might be the way to go ^^ thanks everyone :)

Tawnylioness
June 15th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I used another dye like manic panic called Splat! in black....the other colors they have are pretty crazy but its only temporary so no damage. I would also recomment Healthy Look temporary color you can buy it a CVS or any drug store.

i just looked here

http://www.splathaircolor.com/kits.html

you need to bleach first? isnt that a naughty? :)

teela1978
June 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Have you seen it grown out? Or are you just bothered by how it looks next to the dyed bits?

Mousey-brown hair looks much different once it grows out a bit and picks up some highlights from the sun... and once its not greyed out by somewhat brassy dyed bits.

Tawnylioness
June 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Have you seen it grown out? Or are you just bothered by how it looks next to the dyed bits?

Mousey-brown hair looks much different once it grows out a bit and picks up some highlights from the sun... and once its not greyed out by somewhat brassy dyed bits.

this is my natural, this was taken many years ago ( and before i lost all the weight i had gained after leaving school :rolleyes: )

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/Tawnylioness/Picture551-1.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/Tawnylioness/Pic6ture007-1.jpg

Bagginslover
June 16th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Your hair looks almost exactly the same colour as mine!! (my avatar was taken inside, under a lightbulb)
I know exactly where you are coming from in not liking it much, as much as mine suits my skin tone etc (as yours does too), I just find mine boring (not saying that about you however, I wouldn't be so rude ;) ), so I now henna. I have wanted to be a red head since I was a toddler though, so I was fully ready for the permanent change, sounds like youre not.

try some wash out box dyes, try veggie and manic panic type dyes. As long as they aren't permanent, you can have tons of fun, an not worry about having to commit to anything ;)

Lots of people telling you your hair colour is lovely, doesn't always make you beleive it, it didn't me. I didn't like it, so I changed it, don't feel you have to keep it just cos others sayt hey like it as it is. Its your hair, you need to love it ;)

Tawnylioness
June 16th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Your hair looks almost exactly the same colour as mine!! (my avatar was taken inside, under a lightbulb)
I know exactly where you are coming from in not liking it much, as much as mine suits my skin tone etc (as yours does too), I just find mine boring (not saying that about you however, I wouldn't be so rude ;) ), so I now henna. I have wanted to be a red head since I was a toddler though, so I was fully ready for the permanent change, sounds like youre not.

try some wash out box dyes, try veggie and manic panic type dyes. As long as they aren't permanent, you can have tons of fun, an not worry about having to commit to anything ;)

Lots of people telling you your hair colour is lovely, doesn't always make you beleive it, it didn't me. I didn't like it, so I changed it, don't feel you have to keep it just cos others sayt hey like it as it is. Its your hair, you need to love it ;)

I have always loved and wanted red hair, but henna sounds awful scary, what if it doesn't suit me? You know what color you get with a box chemical, but henna sounds so uncertain. And the upkeep sounds hard. I would like to try it but am too scared :(. Maybe I'll try semi permanent sometimes

luxepiggy
June 16th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hair tinsel . . . everything's better with sparkles (^(oo)~)

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Do like I did get a bling strand.

heidi w.
June 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM
i just looked here

http://www.splathaircolor.com/kits.html

you need to bleach first? isnt that a naughty? :)

Although bleach is an organic substance, it isn't that great when applied to hair. You risk burning the hair, essentially.

Never henna is my advice. In time, henna'd hair such as in 3-5 years, the hair becomes quite dry because henna eventually blocks the uptake of conditioner. My opinion is not popular, but that's the general consensus by hairdressers all over.

You have to choose wisely.

I have heard there are "rinses" and they don't last so long.

heidi w.

Unofficial_Rose
June 16th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I have this sort of colour and I've spent a lifetime going either lighter, darker or redder. I agree with Heidi about the henna - also, if you get fed up with it, it is a devil to get out. There have been some epic threads on the subject.

If you go lighter there will be damage and the roots to deal with - although it is fun to go lighter. :)

Another idea is coloured mousse. Goldwell do a nice range of these. It won't be a massive change but you can have darker browns or different shades of red - and it simply washes out. It is noticeable because they put enough pigment in, which is more than I can say for some brands of coloured mousse. I'm trying to go this route myself as my hair is always short due to frequent permanent changes in colour.

Oh, the male model on the Splat page with the pink hair reminds me of Scott Weiland. RAWR!

torrilin
June 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Agreed, that is a great thread to check out. People seem to be set up to dislike this colour, the typical names for it are so negative ("dirty blonde," "dishwater," etc.), and many are encouraged to highlight it to make it a more typical blonde, or dye it completely, which is such a shame. It's a beautiful hair colour, too, and the chatoyance of it between cool blondes and browns always struck me as rather lovely. :flower:

It's my natural color, and I literally have strands of every possible color hair on my head. It's fantastic for showing off braids and other intricate styles. Most of the time I like it a lot.

But sometimes I do wish for a more uniform color. The most common wish is for DARK ash brown. Not black, not golden. Same as my natural lowlights, but all over. When I do go for that, it's fab and perfectly gothy. Dark purply reds can be fun too. But a lot of the usual recommendations for dye tend to make me look dead as a doornail, which does rather dampen the fun of dye.

Henrietta
June 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
We have a whole article on herbal hair colouring (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2) ;) Maybe you could try one of those?