PDA

View Full Version : Buns for APL hair?

dollyfish
June 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Howdy,

So my hair is now finally APL, and I can put it up with a stick :cheese:

The downside is, the only bun I know how to do is a cinnabun (I think that's what it's called...twist and wrap and nothing but). All the tutorials for buns I've seen are for super long hair (waist+). Are there any buns I can do besides the basic boring twist that doesn't stay up well? Or am I stuck with the sock bun till I reach waist?

Hollyfire3
June 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Sadly, your probably stuck...until about BSL or so. With your thickness (and mine...I'm not nearly BSL and can't do much in terms of buns at this length) buns take alot more length to be able to do. You could try a french twist? Or maybe twin braids? A fishtail braid is nice.

brave
June 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I think you're stuck too sadly. We seem to be hair twins, and I just reached APL with my longest layer. I can manage the cinnabun and the sockbun and french twist and that's about it. With options like "base of head, back of head, or top of head". :(

kdaniels8811
June 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
What she said. I alternate the french twist, sock bun, cinnabun. Not a lot of other choices at this length.

HumanBean
June 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Gibson tuck also.

ladylowtide
June 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have to be honest with you, wasn't able to do any stick or fork buns until 2 inches shy of BSL. There are many variations on youtube of how to twist a stick or fork in. I just got to BSL and I can do about a half a cinnabun.

lapushka
June 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
A pencil bun or the lazy wrap bun might be okay. Try them, see if you can manage those with your thickness. It took me until about BSL-WL to do a cinnabun and a lazy wrap, though.

I'd stick with things like a French twist, or a peacock twist.

battles
June 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Roscata posted a list of hairstyles that could be done around APL, depending on thickness, in the shoulder to APL thread. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here it is. (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2118178&highlight=buns#post2118178)

MissManda
June 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
It's not a bun, but what about a tucked French braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSBAqxQCNKk)? :flower: It's quick and easy and doesn't require all that much length.

brave
June 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I was able to use a stick about an inch or so shy of APL, but my hair sticks together remarkably well and buns are almost able to hold without help at all. So it's not entirely just based on thickness for sticks. But anything that depends on the way it's wrapped around the stick, well, nope.

MiamiPineapple
June 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
The perfect style for someone at APL (and the style I wore really everyday until recently now that my hair touches my bra strap) is a top knot. If you go to google images you can type in top knot and a million variations will come up. It's bascailly a pony tail except you leave the last step as a look and pull it forward. I got so many compliments all the time from this hairstyle and it is so easy! I do a bun now because it doens't look as good now that it is longer. I also put my hair up wet everyday which for me made it stay nicer all day. Good luck!

jeanniet
June 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I still can't do a cinnabun. They're either too tight or too loose and fall out. So I don't bother anymore.

The thing about thick hair is that you have to have much longer hair to do much. Even now, at hip, I can still only do a few different buns: pencil, lazy wrap, nautilus, and spidermom's (barely). I can do a Figure 8 or infinity, but not well enough to hold. I figure at classic I'll be able to do most of them (jeez, I hope!).

My go-to is the pencil bun. I was able to do that somewhere between APL and BSL by using just a couple of fingers instead of my whole hand to wrap, and it's adaptable enough that it's still working beautifully for me at this length. A nice French twist is another one that's good at your length. I would go through youtube videos and just try the buns out--you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly which ones will work or can be adapted and which ones won't. And then, like me, you can wait and wait and wait for your hair to be long enough for the rest! :D

dollyfish
June 16th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I was able to use a stick about an inch or so shy of APL, but my hair sticks together remarkably well and buns are almost able to hold without help at all. So it's not entirely just based on thickness for sticks. But anything that depends on the way it's wrapped around the stick, well, nope.

We do sound a lot like hair twins. I can only get away with a stick bun at this point because my hair practically holds itself! Hence why I can hold a cinnabun at this ridiculous length. Not quite a proper cinnabun, only maybe half of one, but it holds none the less!

Thank you everyone, this was quite helpful. I guess I won't be able to do the fancy loopy buns yet, but I'd forgotten about the gibson tuck, top knots, etc. I said buns, but I suppose I'm really just looking for ways to put my hair up that aren't just two braids every day!

:heartbeat

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I started doing buns at arm pit length. My hair isn't as thick as yours.

ariesfairies
June 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Well if you can't change the buns.. maybe change the accessories? :P

Bunnysaur
June 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Roscata posted a list of hairstyles that could be done around APL, depending on thickness, in the shoulder to APL thread. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here it is. (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2118178&highlight=buns#post2118178)

Thank you!!!! I've been missing that list, I had it bookmarked but then I lost the bookmark :rolleyes:

dollyfish, while you might be stuck with just the few hairstyles, you can always change it up with different sticks/forks/pins/what have you.

Tisiloves
June 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Have you tried the braided bun variation (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=220), or the seashell bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKZqNvsWDIU), but only looped around 2 then 1 finger (I can almost get it to work with some smooshing and my hair's slippery as an eel in an oilslick, so it'll probably work for you).

einna
June 17th, 2012, 09:54 AM
A tip for us with thick hair is to make two buns instead of one. This way we can maybe do some buns at a shorter lenght! I havent tried this yet myself, but I will soon! :D