PDA

View Full Version : Hair in a Baggy Horror Stories!

RitaCeleste
June 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Okay today was my first time doing henna. The people mowed the lawn and a rock flew threw the side of the pool and I ended up in Walmart with a bag on my head, hot sweaty and dripping henna. The checkout lady grabbed me some paper towels (God Bless her!) I said I had to leave the stuff on for four hours and she asked what it was. I told it was henna, it was suppose to turn it red and straighten it in one fell swoop. She looked at me like I had lost my ever loving mind. I joked, "If you see me and I have beautiful red hair, you'll know what did it!";) Anyone ever just have to go out of the house with your hair in a bag??? With deep treatments and things, its happened to me before. With henna, I can see me sporting a bag even more. Come on, tell your bag horror stories! :cheese:

Tia2010
June 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I don't henna but my oiled up, SMT'ed or Manic Panic'ed hair is only for inside the house :)

I did go to the grocery once or twice right after I did a deep oiling. I put on big sunglasses and kept my head down :cool: I kept thinking to myself "My hair really isn't gross people, I put the the oil in to help it..I swear!" :D

RitaCeleste
June 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I live in the south and growing up it wasn't out of place at all to see black people at the grocery store or at a convenience store with a treatment in their hair and sporting a bag. I felt so bad the first time I had to go the convenience store sporting a baggy. White girls just don't do it! I must have had $18 worth of henna on my head today, no way was I gonna wash it out and try again tomorrow.

RitaCeleste
June 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just great. 71 views and I am the only one who has run out with my hair in the plastic cap! Unbelievable. LOL! Oh, well.

Anje
June 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well, I haven't worn a henna baggy out, but I have hennaed in a relatively public place before. I belong to an outdoorsy club that has a lake and is fairly relaxed. We're all friends there. So I mixed up henna and put it on, so I could lounge in the sun there and let the henna marinate. I hennaed a friend's daughter that day, too. Her father declared us all to be insane and informed us that it looked like we were smearing goose poop on our heads.

By the way, rinsing henna out in the lake worked fantastically well.

morrigan*
June 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I did, i just pot wool cap over it :D

Tisiloves
June 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I walked my dog with a DT, covered with a shower cap and a fuzzy homeknit cap, on, past a lot of fancy wine bars.

ladylowtide
June 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
OMG never the henna. I would leave a poopy trail of mucky behind me. I basically impersonate a grumpy statue for 5 hours lol.

No but seriously props to you for doing it anyway.

I have gone out with: half orange, half yellow bleach fried hair. As well as massively over oiled hair.

GeoJ
June 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
The last time I hennaed my hair I needed to take my DD to her martial arts class. Since I knew in advance I would be going out with henna paste in my hair, I wrapped it tightly with plastic wrap, and then tied a black scarf in a decorative way to hide all the mess. It worked great, so it's not a horror story at all.

My hair horror stories typically involve my natural part (on the back of my head) becoming visible during the day unbeknownst to me.

meeliah
June 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I have a big floppy hat and I mix my henna thick.

I wanted to try rinsing in a lake this week. So I went to the public beach area and oh so slyly swam out to the deep end with my floppy cap on. Took it off and rinsed. No one looked at me in any particularly weird ways, so I may continue that method during the summer months. It was so much faster! But there was an element of "Oh my god I can't believe I'm doing this in public!"

RitaCeleste
June 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks! I had been wondering how people avoided being caught in the plastic cap at some point. I need baggy camo, a hat, something because this kind of thing happens to me so much. :(

dollyfish
June 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I had to go out in public with over-oiled hair the other day... My bangs were fine, so I just plaited two braided pigtails and hoped no one would wonder why my braids were so shiny.

I once washed my henna out right in the nick of time as company arrived (unannounced!) :laugh: Never been caught with the bag though.

I do notice: Am I seriously the only one who never has henna drips? Mix it nice and thick, people! And wrap that plastic wrap TIGHT around the nape of your neck and ears!

jillosity
June 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I went out to feed the kittens I'm fostering with Color Oops on my head, under a shower cap and microfiber hair towel, Several people walked by and saw me, but the kittens were hungry! And I had to leave that stinking mess on my head as long as I could!

jacqueline101
June 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Not henna but I had a friend who needed me one time in the middle of the night I had a deep conditioning mask on so I wore a shower cap on my head.

Mesmerise
June 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I've only been caught by someone delivering a parcel to my door :D.

Also last year I was doing henna when my friend got her new computer and needed me NOW.THIS.INSTANT to go down and help her set it up :rolleyes:. I pleaded with her to wait, but she wanted it going before her DD got home from school... *sigh*.

Apart from that... I just don't go out with it lol. It's bad enough having to go check the mail! Of course, I never see people walking around in public with baggies and stuff on their hair either. It might be more normal if others did it occasionally?!

afu
June 15th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Not with henna but yesterday I decided to leave directions white toner on my head for at least 4 hours since it never made a difference when I did it for the recommeded 15mins or the next time when i did it for 1hr. My house gets hardly any phone signal, so if my phone happens to get enough signal to actually ring I have to run outside, down the road to the beach. Of course 3 people decided they had to talk to me yesterday so I ended up wandering around on the public beach several times with a plastic bag on my head tied up like a pirate with a woolly hat over the top! And added to that was the fact that my landlord is renovating the house so I had 3 workmen to avoid as well - if id known they were going to turn up and make so much noise I would have gone out and saved the toner for another day, turned out I just got stuck at home unable to get work done with the rackett going on all around me!

meeliah
June 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks! I had been wondering how people avoided being caught in the plastic cap at some point. I need baggy camo, a hat, something because this kind of thing happens to me so much. :(

The only time I ever had drips was when I mixed it thin because I wanted to see what all the hubub was about a thin mixture. It went on very nice and smooth with great coverage, but the drips were torture. It'll only be thick mixes from me from here on out.

I also wrap really tightly with plastic wrap. At home I cover with a shower cap to be safe, but the floppy hat works nice for going out.

Again, the tight cap and thick mix produce no drips for me.

kdaniels8811
June 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I use a cheap fabric headband to keep the drippies at bay, don a shower cap and a baseball cap over that and go about my business, shopping, dog walking, whatever. If I am going out for a while, a floppy hat covers more. So you are not the only one!

islandboo
June 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Every time I see this thread as I scan the forum I can't help but thinking of a scary voice quavering "she awoke with a start. The pre-dawn light was creeping past her curtains. She shivered a little, both from the memory of the nightmare and a queer chill about her head. She drew up the blanket and turned away from the window, hoping to steal a few last minutes of sleep. It was then that she beheld a terrible crumpled thing spilling across her pillow: the baggie of her nightmare, filled to overflowing with her severed locks. Her screams echoed through the morning stillness..."

natural_shine
June 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Okay today was my first time doing henna. The people mowed the lawn and a rock flew threw the side of the pool and I ended up in Walmart with a bag on my head, hot sweaty and dripping henna. The checkout lady grabbed me some paper towels (God Bless her!) I said I had to leave the stuff on for four hours and she asked what it was. I told it was henna, it was suppose to turn it red and straighten it in one fell swoop. She looked at me like I had lost my ever loving mind. I joked, "If you see me and I have beautiful red hair, you'll know what did it!";) Anyone ever just have to go out of the house with your hair in a bag??? With deep treatments and things, its happened to me before. With henna, I can see me sporting a bag even more. Come on, tell your bag horror stories! :cheese:

You're not alone.
I walk my dog with honey/oils on my head, sometimes with a bag, sometimes with a well secured towel. People get used to it the end.

RitaCeleste
June 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Nope, just me in Walmart, Henna all over my head, sweating buckets, sweat and henna running out behind my ears, dripping under my neck...I dunno, I felt kinda horrible. I felt much better today, strolling threw Walmart with waist length glorious red hair flying. I was sweating though but so was everyone else. lol:cheese:

akilina
June 16th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Oh noo!!!! Is your pool okay??? Did you get a patch for it or something..Hopefully it isn't ruined.
I went thru the burger king drivethru with henna on my head once. The lady asked me if I was COLD. hahaha. Luckily it was a cold day. But anyway...I said no and explained to her all about the henna and like everyone else she thought it was interesting and we laughed about the process of leaving it on for 5 hours.

pink.sara
June 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Every time I go to the gym I smother my hair in something! It protects it from sweat and the heat helps treatments soak in!

Today was a top knot with a shed load of cone free apple conditioner :)

I've done henna too but only in cling film under one of those stretchy biker snoods. Styling.

Alvrodul
June 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Hm. Not a horror story, as such, but one Saturday in early summer last year, my brother needed me to give him a hand moving some stuff. It was a henna day, so my hair was covered in henna, saran wrap with a bandage around the edge, and a woolen cap over it all. I suppose I did look a bit silly in that woolen cap on such a hot day! :o

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I've walked out of the house wearing flat pin curls, but I covered my hair in a scarf, Audrey Hepburn style and even wore the sunglasses to go with it.

If I'm going to walk out of the house in the middle of my grooming, I'll do it in style dammit.

ladonna
June 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I guess the area that I live in is pretty casual because every time I go to the drug store there someone with a bag on thier head in the hairdye aisle. I've gone out with a bag on my head several times in my life too.

AnqeIicDemise
June 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM

I have a big beanie that's supposed to be a frog. Except, y'know, my head's so little it looks like a flippin' slug.

I put on a shower cap on instead of a plastic bag, then the beanie goes on top of it. I walk around with my froggie around the house, with guests, and run out if I need to.

Then again, I'm not ashamed of looking funky. XD

RitaCeleste
June 16th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Oh noo!!!! Is your pool okay??? Did you get a patch for it or something..Hopefully it isn't ruined.
I went thru the burger king drivethru with henna on my head once. The lady asked me if I was COLD. hahaha. Luckily it was a cold day. But anyway...I said no and explained to her all about the henna and like everyone else she thought it was interesting and we laughed about the process of leaving it on for 5 hours.

The pool is kinda okay. I had to re-patch it today. It still leaks a tiny trickle of water that evaporates in the heat about 6 inches down from it. I picked up another kit, same crappy brand today (Just in case I have to do it over again.).

sisi33
June 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
This thread is wildly funny to me- just sitting by myself, laughing. I'm insane. But I've done the saran-wrapped head/hat thing before. And since my hair was all piled on my head, and it was like, 90 degrees outside, I was getting a headache. My sister said that I looked like I had just come from the hospital with my forehead being scrunched up from the plastic. Ahh, good times!

TheMechaGinger
June 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
The first time I put henna in my hair DBF asked me if I had just smeared baby poop all over my head. After that, there's no way I'd ever leave my house. But I live in AZ, it's so hot here sweating is unavoidable right now. I don't want sweaty browny-green slime dripping down my face! Haha

RitaCeleste
June 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I was explaining the mix wasn't too thin, I was just too sweaty! I knew it was hot, I'd never hennaed before and didn't know I'd leak baby poop. I didn't know about needing the cling wrap. But this was kinda important, leaky pool. After you take on Walmart with a plastic cap on your head, its so easy to go get soda, chips whatever with your head in the cap. After all everybody in town has already seen you...:cheese:

PixxieStix
June 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I henna, sadly, I don't have any horror stories to tell yet about the experience. I've been given weird looks for the rare occasions where I need to go out and run an errand while doing a heavy oiling/deep treatment though. Usually just a bun on my head that looks super greasy or wet. :D

gracenotes
June 16th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Ohh my goodness. I sometimes use Lush henna bricks, and when I was in London for the semester, I found a Lush store that applied the henna for you, practically for free. So I figured, why not! What I didn't think about ahead of time was navigating all the way across town from the store to my flat with a henna-covered head! Navigating public transportation was an interesting experience that day...

Islandgrrl
June 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I had to go in to work for a server emergency once with henna on my head. I put a buff on over the plastic bag, and a watch cap on over that and just prayed no one saw me.

lundmir
June 17th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I did honey lightening once and a friend came over to watch a game at my house, unannounced. I was mortified about it!

Whenever I must go out in public with any sort of treatment over my head, I just grab a baggy, cute hat. Hides the bag perfectly.
Sometimes I don't get the time to dye my roots after I bleach them, so I use a cute bucket hat (like from the 1920's). I love the look, so I don't really mind doing that.

I also dyed a friend's hair with Manic Panic at my house, and sent him to his with a bag on his head. He felt so weird doing that, haha.

Blackfire
June 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM
As an overnight CSM at a WalMart in MO I see all kinds of things and have reall feel for people in general. I know when someone is going to hand me a wic check or pay in cash or swipe a debit card. I know when someone is stealing, or thinking about it, lol.

Around 3am-5am EVERY black person in the store save for the other associates has either a baggy of something good for hair, a sleep scarf, or sometimes both on their head! I noticed this and laughed because I have done the same thing, I actually just throw a scarf over my baggy and head out if I need something day or night.

Not being racist by pointing that out, just something I noticed and found ammusing. ;)

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah! Black people do take care of their hair and end up out and about in the baggy. I figured white people that take care of their hair and do treatments would have to end up out in a baggy cap at some point. I'm going to the wig store and see if they have anything I could use to hide a baggy. Then again, black people don't seem to feel like they have to hide the baggy. They are just like, "Wait til you see it tomorrow!" :p

door72067
June 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I've walked out of the house wearing flat pin curls, but I covered my hair in a scarf, Audrey Hepburn style and even wore the sunglasses to go with it.

If I'm going to walk out of the house in the middle of my grooming, I'll do it in style dammit.

very elegant solution :)

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I'm off to find something more presentable for emergencies! I don't own a single hat or scarf or turban or anything. I just never wear them. When I didn't really take care of my hair, I never had a plastic cap on it.