PDA

View Full Version : I don't have even curls

Sookie
June 15th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Well my curls are not the same. I hate that the down sections are very curly and the up sections are like wavy and frizy. What should i do to make them like the down ones? Anyone familiar with this problem?

DarkCurls
June 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
What's "even curls"? :D
Mine is a mix of 3a, 2c, and 1c. The straightest parts are underneath, the curliest on top, which seems to be the opposite of you. I have tried to encourage curl in these strands by wrapping them around my fingers while air-drying, but no luck. If someone is able to help you, I'll be interested in the answer.

What's your routine? :p You may want to look into CG?

ariesfairies
June 15th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Trying to picture your scenerio here.. I'm imagining that your hair is in layers and the upper layers are wavy and the bottoms arent, and are curled as you said? Or do you mean from the top of your whole hair its wavy/frizzy as mentioned, and then curls only near the bottom?..

Would love to help just need a clarification? :P I too have curly hair, and the types of curls vary tremendously but I take that as an advantage of its nature..

But yes true as mentioned above, curls and evenness is to me, an oxymoron! :p

spidermom
June 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM
You could try using a little gel and twirling the less curly areas around your fingers as it dries. When my hair was shorter, I would get lovely curls from that.

I've rarely seen naturally curly hair that is evenly curly. You can only achieve that with styling.

afu
June 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM
my curls are never even, they range from slightly frizzy waves to tight spirals, sometimes it can be annoying but it does add character so I try to embrace the craziness

chou
June 15th, 2012, 07:27 AM
It is your canopy that's not curling? Perhaps it needs more moisture. Waves and curls can't form well in dry hair. I have to oil and condition my canopy more than my underlayers because it dries out so much more quickly.

letibear
June 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I have different curls all over my head too. It varies from 2c to 3b! I have loose curls/waves on the back of my head and tighter curls around my hairline and crown. Most of the time I just air dry and let it be, but when I want to even things up, I'll wash and my condition my hair, and I don't always completely rinse the conditioner out. I'll leave just a little bit.

Then, while my hair is damp, I'll braid it into 4 or 5 sections and leave it like that overnight. I use a satin pillowcase to help keep extra frizzies away. Then in the morning, gently take the braids out, do not brush or comb (maybe finger comb if you must) and I flip my head over and shake it out a little. That's it!

You don't have to use leave-in conditioner or oil, I just prefer it myself. This method (at least for me) tends to look more wavy than curly. If you want it to look curlier, you can try various ballet/sock buns or the paper bag method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A
which are also done by working with your hair damp and leaving it overnight.

Good luck!

lapushka
June 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM
The only way to tell if curls are real is to see this tiny difference in texture. Permed hair is hair that's even all over, same type of curl everywhere, naturally curly hair is hardly ever even all over.

CurlyCap
June 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
The only way to tell if curls are real is to see this tiny difference in texture. Permed hair is hair that's even all over, same type of curl everywhere, naturally curly hair is hardly ever even all over.

Quoted for truth!

Yep. Mine aren't even either. More straight on the top, the left side is always more curly than the right for some reason. Unless it doesn't want to be that way. Then it's....something different.

I think most curlies learn to style their hair so it gives the illusion of perfect curls every where. On me, this means I have to put a LOT more leave-in conditioner on the canopy than on the rest. The uber clumping promotes tighter curls on top and I let the bottom do it's on thing so it matches. And as for the left to right issue, if it's too bad I just hide it with some artfully placed bobby pins and curl rearrangement!

sometimesginger
June 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Nobody's curls are all even! Mine are wavy near the top and curl more near the bottom :) The only time they've really been even was when I had really, really short hair.

Sookie
June 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your replies! You've helped me a lot! I am using CG method.

Mesmerise
June 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Heh I always thought my hair was abnormal because of the mix of hair textures! Mine ranges from 1b to probably 2b/c... so not really curly (although the underneath parts do form curls... stupid hair) but mental and unevenly wavy.

It's always good to know I'm not alone (I mean even the sides of my head don't match... it's wavier on one side than the other ARGH).

CurlyCurves
June 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
My hair is very curly but they're not perfect either :D

Ookami
June 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
same here... uneven waves and curls, usually top is wavy with odd curls here and there, bottom would curl more... right and left will curl differently if both do, one outwards other inwards for example, unless one decides to be flat wavy and the other big volume and curls/waves... :D

lapushka
June 17th, 2012, 03:01 PM
It's always good to know I'm not alone (I mean even the sides of my head don't match... it's wavier on one side than the other ARGH).

I get that too, and I'm a 2a just like you. It can be so annoying, can't it? :D

KwaveT
June 17th, 2012, 10:16 PM
My wavy hair does the same thing. My hair seems to have a 2a-2c range even though I still list my hair as 2a. Some strands are S waves and others spiral.

Sookie
August 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
This makes it so hard to manage! I have s waves/curls on the botton and the corkicelli curls(like it's mentioned on curly girl). How do you style it?

Sookie
August 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
By the way what do you do with your fly aways? There is hair growing and makes my hair look bad in the crown area.