PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these ends?

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
UPDATE:
I put mayonnaise on my ends for about 45min.
I then washed my hair and used my mom's conditioner- the kind you get in a box after you dye your hair. I left that on a few minutes, rinsed, and put on some Redken balm. I damp bunned for a few hours.
this morning my ends are amazing!!!! NO FRIZZIES!!! They look like the rest of my hair!!!

Thank you for the advice everyone!!!

-------------------
I had my hair trimmed yesterday- because I thought the ends of my hair were damaged. The hairdresser said they weren't, however, and said she'd trim an inch. I asked her to trim two.

She told my my ends were only dry, and that I should use any moisture hair mask out there. I got Redken's "Real Control" styling mask- which is supped to help.

After looking at my hair this morning, it still looks the same... I'm worried it looks like velcro- even though I have no split ends!

Maybe they are ok... like the hairdresser said, just dry... but I figured I should get a second opinion here. Maybe I'm only hair obsessed. I just can't help feeling they look bad/damaged, because they really don't look like the rest of my hair!

So, in your opinion, do I need to cut off more? Are they fine like everyone IRL keeps telling me (my mom, my dad, the hairdresser etc)? Or are they mere "normals" (as in people who don't really care that much about how their hair looks), and I'm just being obsessed and delusional about how my ends look?

Sorry for the large image sizes- I had to hurriedly write this and take pictures, and didn't have time to reformat them (had a hungry baby waiting)! :p

P.S. Hair is actually slightly off colour- my hair actually is not this dark, it's very VERY red. For some reason my camera wasn't taking things at the right colour?!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_0344.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_0343.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_0342.jpg

Wayuki
June 15th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Your ends do seem a bit frizzy looking, but I'm not sure if it's damage. Have you tried clarifying? It could just be that your ends are a bit crunchy from build-up.

I'm sure other members will have more ideas on what you could try. :)

longNred
June 15th, 2012, 06:58 AM
before cutting anymore off, I'd simply baby the ends for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. keep them moisturized (whatever works for your hair, treatments, oils, masks...) and keep them wrapped up as often as you can...and re-evaluate after that. LOVE your color in the 2nd pic btw!

Zesty
June 15th, 2012, 07:00 AM
That doesn't necessarily look like damage to me, though it's always hard to tell from pictures. Have you tried an SMT or another moisture treatment? Using mineral oil on your ends while wet (or some other kind of leave in)? Because it looks to me like something that could be cleared up with moisture, but there's only one way to find out.

Mesmerise
June 15th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Honestly, your ends do look a bit dry/frazzled... which is not necessarily the same as damaged (as in, they don't look split at all).

I would probably oil the ends when they're damp and see if that makes a difference, perhaps. I think there's a difference between dry and damaged, and it IS possible to do something about dry ends. However, what works for one may not necessarily work as well for another.

ariesfairies
June 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Would you think the ends are lighter than the rest of your hair? I probably shouldn't just judge it from the photo alone, but it does look like it.
I'm speculating it could be sun-bleaching, which was what made my frizzy, split-end free ends.

spidermom
June 15th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Your ends do look kind of dried out and frazzled to me. Clarify if you haven't, then do the hair mask about once a week for a month; reevaluate after that.

bunzfan
June 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
They do look a touch dry when i had that problem in the past a nice treatment and then oiling the ends daily did wonders. I know you've always had really thick hair can i ask though have you shed your pregnancy hair yet? because it looks twice as thick as normal :crush:

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Your ends do seem a bit frizzy looking, but I'm not sure if it's damage. Have you tried clarifying? It could just be that your ends are a bit crunchy from build-up.

Yep, already clarified- two weeks ago.

before cutting anymore off, I'd simply baby the ends for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. keep them moisturized (whatever works for your hair, treatments, oils, masks...) and keep them wrapped up as often as you can...and re-evaluate after that. LOVE your color in the 2nd pic btw!

Thank you! That's the actual colour of all my hair- my camera was just being wonky when taking the first pic.

Would you think the ends are lighter than the rest of your hair? I probably shouldn't just judge it from the photo alone, but it does look like it.
I'm speculating it could be sun-bleaching, which was what made my frizzy, split-end free ends.

Nope, they aren't lighter than the rest- they are the same colour. The camera was just being weird in the first pic.

They do look a touch dry when i had that problem in the past a nice treatment and then oiling the ends daily did wonders. I know you've always had really thick hair can i ask though have you shed your pregnancy hair yet? because it looks twice as thick as normal :crush:

Nope, haven't shed it yet- but I did shed my entire pregnancy at a very high rate (think clumps of hair coming out), and now shedding has pretty much stopped (a few days after giving birth I stopped shedding)... so many I'll bypass the post-pregnancy shed entirely?

I guess I'll try doing a mayonnaise treatment today...
Thank you for the compliment! :D

swearnsue
June 15th, 2012, 07:32 AM
When my ends get like that I put a little olive oil on those ends and smooth in into the ends and from a bit above the ends and smooth it in gently. I'll do this while sitting in front of the t.v. Just feel for the dry bits and apply olive oil. It takes a little longer than a whole head deep oiling but it takes less shampoo to remove, in fact just the normal diluted amount. Congratulations on the baby by the way! Maybe the best thing for your hair would just be a moment of peace and quiet and a nap!

afu
June 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM
They look a little frizzy compared to the rest of your hair which is strange, especially as you don't really do anything damaging. Mine are looking a bit like this at the moment despite no splits (however my ends have been heat and bleach damaged). What I would do it to really moisturise them at every opportunity you get, then oil and keep the ends tucked inside a bun. I find that Sweet almond oil is really good for softening up dry ends, best thing ive found. Do you use honey regularly? I find that honey makes my ends feel like a wire brush so I omit it from my SMT.

Good luck :)

p.s. Hope baby is doing well

akilina
June 15th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I don't think it is damage necessarily. Don't cut more! :]
I have the same exact ends, although nowhere near your length. For me, it felt like protein over load. I really wish I knew exactly what to do about this. I heavily oiled for about a week and that feeling seems to be gone for the time being.

LuxAurea
June 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Your hair is really beautiful!!!
Very thick!!!
:)

bunzfan
June 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have always used this for a deep treatment since i was 15 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henna-Original-Conditioner-Natural-Classic/dp/B001Q8XPLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339767813&sr=8-1 it works great with a warm towel on damp hair but, i have also done it without the warm towel i normally leave it on for about 30 mins and its really cheap to.

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
They look a little frizzy compared to the rest of your hair which is strange, especially as you don't really do anything damaging. Mine are looking a bit like this at the moment despite no splits (however my ends have been heat and bleach damaged). What I would do it to really moisturise them at every opportunity you get, then oil and keep the ends tucked inside a bun. I find that Sweet almond oil is really good for softening up dry ends, best thing ive found. Do you use honey regularly? I find that honey makes my ends feel like a wire brush so I omit it from my SMT.

Good luck :)

p.s. Hope baby is doing well

Nope, don't use honey... I did use honey months ago to lighten indigo out of my hair- but my hair was fine after that... weird eh?

I have the same exact ends, although nowhere near your length. For me, it felt like protein over load. I really wish I knew exactly what to do about this. I heavily oiled for about a week and that feeling seems to be gone for the time being.

hmmm... proteine overload...

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Your hair is really beautiful!!!
Very thick!!!
:)

Thank you! :D

I have always used this for a deep treatment since i was 15 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henna-Original-Conditioner-Natural-Classic/dp/B001Q8XPLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339767813&sr=8-1 it works great with a warm towel on damp hair but, i have also done it without the warm towel i normally leave it on for about 30 mins and its really cheap to.

I'll see if I can find it in Canada!

Idjit
June 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM
My ends look just like yours. But they don't feel bad and have no splits so I'm just ignoring it. I do put extra leave in on the ends and oil too when I think about it but otherwise I'm just going with it.

I have layers so I was thinking that maybe the ends just aren't thick enough to be weighed down like the rest of my hair. My whole head looks like this when it's short.

MintChocChip
June 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM

I agree, it could be a protein overload. I've had ends like this before, and it was mostly due to me getting protein happy.

moxamoll
June 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
That's kinda what my ends start to look like when I need to chelate. I know you clarified, but did you try chelating?

brave
June 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
My ends pretty regularly get the velcro feeling/look if I'm not consistent about leaving in something moisturizing for them. Oiling alone after a wash didn't cut it.

Henrietta
June 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
If the hairdresser was an educated and experienced one who knows something about hair chemistry, not only knows how to cut any dye, trust her.
I went to a extremely bad salon for a hair sauna (before my brother's wedding, my SIL wanted us two to go, as if a heave mask and a towel is not enough for me :D Why would I pay for it in a salon? :D) and the so called hairdressers- one pregnant and smoking, all using bad language, tanned, blonde bleached, wearing tacky clothes and plastic jewellery, talking about how much they drank on the last party etc.- gathered around me and were wining about how damaged my hair is, what a shame to have something like that on one's head and how I should use serums to repair it. The problem was that I have curls when it's short and when one of them brushed it wet and blowdried keeping the dryer 2 inches from my hair and using plastic brush- it did look frizzy.
A few days later I went to L'Oreal Kérastase salon for an updo for the wedding and the lady there was a real hairdresser. She said that it's visible I take care of my hair and it's not damaged (apart from my ends which are, yes, from the old times when I used flat iron etc.) but it's dry. It's just a type of hair, like there is dry skin and complexion. It's not that you do something to it so it becomes dry. That's just the way this type of hair is.
That's how I discovered that dry doesn't mean damaged and I don't know why manufacturers make products for "dry and damaged hair". It's not one thing. Repairing (which is, I know, impossible) is not the same as moisturising.
So, try to switch to all moisturising things. Have you tried SMT? It took me to hair moisture paradise. Moisturising is possible, repairing not so much ;), so try to bomb your ends with moisture and see what they'll say.

Mayflower
June 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
They do look dry and frazzled to me, a bit like how my ends look after I've henndigoed (= dried out), or when they come out of a bun I've had in all day. Nothing (a lot of) moisture can't fix.

amantha
June 15th, 2012, 08:28 AM
How long has this been going on? If it's very recent, didn't you just recently henna? Can't henna make your hair feel dry for a while afterward?

I had a similar problem with my ends, and it still creeps up from time to time. My ends tend to split when they've been like that for a while though. :-/ It's like my hair will decide to be annoying for a few months, and then be awesome for a few months. To keep things under control, I put this http://www.beautifulcurls.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8&idcategory=3 on my damp ends (ends being damp seems to be key here for me. It's like it seals the moisture in). It seems kind of thin, but it surprisingly works very well for me. Maybe give it a try?

When neither that nor oil work, I'll give up and use coney leave-ins for like a week...which usually works. I'm a fan of these: http://www.farouk.com/CHI/Infra/Silk-Infusion.aspx and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017J22V8/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00 (this one seems like to might have discontinued it though :'( )

ETA: it looks like herbal essences just moved their split end protector to the "touchably smooth" line. I'm assuming it's very similar.

Hollyfire3
June 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Oh my....beautiful hair...my dream hair...I LOVE it....the ends just need some TLC, maybe clarify then moisturize? I wouldn't cut anymore.

RapunzelKat
June 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't cut any more just yet, Amber Maiden. :) It looks more like dryness and possible protein overload to me. Have you ever tried mineral/baby oil? If that's something you're ok with using I have found that it works wonders for locking moisture into my ends. I apply a little bit to soaking wet ends after a wash, and if my ends are acting up I dampen my braid tassel and apply daily before bed. I only need a few drops, but I'm sure you would need a lot more than that as your hair is about 10X thicker than mine. :D It's so pretty!

Congratulations on your new baby! :blossom:

patienceneeded
June 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Your hair is gorgeous!!! I love it! The ends do look a bit dry, but if they're not splitting and damaged, I wouldn't cut anymore off. Just give the ends some extra moisture for a while and keep them protected. Give it about a month, with lots of TLC and moisture, then reevaluate their condition. Odds are, they will be just fine.

lapushka
June 15th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I agree with everyone else. Your ends just look a little dry and frizzy, nothing that babying them won't solve - well, I hope. Just be sure you try just about everything there is to try before cutting anything more off. I don't have suggestions on brands and stuff, but I'd try lots of moisture, possibly some deep oil treatments before washing.

SwordWomanRiona
June 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I'll speak plainly, Amber: If I had your hair, colour and thickness-wise, ends included, I'd be a happy woman :D.

I don't think they look damaged, I think they look really healthy, actually. In the last pic they look a bit dry, but I think that moisturizing can solve that (my ends look a bit like yours in the final pic after I've bandanna-waved, they dry out a bit, but I just oil them heavily and they're all right again). Be sure to keep them moisturized and oiled, but I wouldn't cut more, if I were you. You can give it a couple of weeks, moisturize deeply and see how they respond.

Your hair does look VERY red already, at least in the first two pics it really does ;). And the last pic....WOW, breathtaking!!! I want that volume! I want that thickness! I want that fuuull hemline! It's not fair! :)

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
haha! Thank you for all the advice and compliments! I'll definitely bomb my ends with moisture, and thank you all for making me feel better :D

jackie_brown
June 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Your ends seem to be only a bit dry.
If you check them accurately, can you see tapered parts?
If you can't, i think there is only some dryness that you can fix putting more moisture on your ends ;)

moon2dove
June 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think they could be dry ends.

Mya
June 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I agree with your hairdresser - I don't think you need to trim your ends, they are just dry. I have the same problem every now and then, I usually solve it by richly oiling them every day for several days. I also noticed a big improvement since I started CWC.

trolleypup
June 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Another thought...the very tips is the only place where the curl pattern in your hairs isn't constrained by the hair around it, so the individual hairs are each curling the way they want...and thus the ends look frizzy compared to the rest of your hair.

Quixii
June 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I agree with those saying they look dry but not damaged.
Perhaps just attack them with a heavy conditioner and oil mixture?

cremenoir
June 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM
my ends used to look just like that too. i trimmed off an inch or two, started CO washing and oiling with quite a lot of baby oil after every wash while my hair is still VERY wet, and it has made a WORLD of difference. if my ends are feeling dry in between washes, i wet them down with plain water in a squirt bottle and apply a little more baby oil.

most people oil with just a few drops, but if your ends are seriously dry (and especially with hair as thick as yours) you could probably get away with using quite a lot more than that. i like baby oil because you can use quite a bit without it looking greasy, and it really seems to lock in moisture for a long time. i want to like vegetable oils because they're more natural, but in my experience baby oil has been more effective for my (no longer) super-dry hair.

the key for me has been applying oil when my hair is really wet, not just damp. like right out of the shower, squeeze the excess water out so it's not dripping like crazy, then oil immediately. it seems strange that that could make a difference as opposed to oiling damp, but it really has. i've been doing this for about a month now, and have noticed major improvement. give it a try!

Macaroni
June 15th, 2012, 12:37 PM
To me, they look like they need moisture. Pretty hair.

Anywhere
June 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
They do look a little fluffy but I think it's just the curl pattern.

The last 4~8" of my hair looks like that if I braid or bun it and then brush it out, but it still feels fine. So it might just be the way your hair is drying unless it feels different than the rest of your hair.

Have you tried wetting and conditioning and/or oiling your ends and then damp-bunning them (I know you have a lot of hair so a full length of dampness probably seems miserable to you, but a few inches of dampness shouldn't be too bad)?

I'm seconding the chelating idea if you didn't already do that. IIRC you were planning on doing that but baking soda and vinegar changed your mind.

woolyleprechaun
June 15th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I get the 'fluffy end' syndrome all the time! I think its one of those things that happens with thicker, wavier hair. I feel kind of silly giving my 'advice' as your hair is my dream hair:o but I find that braiding the hair, and heavily oiling the tassle before bed does the trick for me!
Congrats on baby, I hope both of you are doing well :D

Growin'ItOut
June 15th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I use Lee Stanfford's Hair Growth Treatment mask. It's sorta of like a deep conditioner, but you apply it during your shower. I love it, A LOT. It makes my hair so soft and silky and gives 1/2 a inch after two weeks of using. They sell it at Ulta and on amazon. You should try it out, it helps split ends :) Because i had them! lol.:cheese:

Ulta: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4180991#revi ews

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Stafford-Growth-Treatment-200ml/dp/B006L677XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339786178&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+stafford+hair+growth+treatment

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
They do look a little fluffy but I think it's just the curl pattern.

The last 4~8" of my hair looks like that if I braid or bun it and then brush it out, but it still feels fine. So it might just be the way your hair is drying unless it feels different than the rest of your hair.

Have you tried wetting and conditioning and/or oiling your ends and then damp-bunning them (I know you have a lot of hair so a full length of dampness probably seems miserable to you, but a few inches of dampness shouldn't be too bad)?

I'm seconding the chelating idea if you didn't already do that. IIRC you were planning on doing that but baking soda and vinegar changed your mind.

I guess I'll try chelating... and I always damp bun :(

I get the 'fluffy end' syndrome all the time! I think its one of those things that happens with thicker, wavier hair. I feel kind of silly giving my 'advice' as your hair is my dream hair:o but I find that braiding the hair, and heavily oiling the tassle before bed does the trick for me!
Congrats on baby, I hope both of you are doing well :D

Aw! Thank you!!! :D

I use Lee Stanfford's Hair Growth Treatment mask. It's sorta of like a deep conditioner, but you apply it during your shower. I love it, A LOT. It makes my hair so soft and silky and gives 1/2 a inch after two weeks of using. They sell it at Ulta and on amazon. You should try it out, it helps split ends :) Because i had them! lol.:cheese:

Ulta: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4180991#revi ews

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Stafford-Growth-Treatment-200ml/dp/B006L677XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339786178&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+stafford+hair+growth+treatment

Neat! Thanks for the suggestion!

Amygirl8
June 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
They look just like the ends of my doll's hair.
And sound like they're in a similar situation (dry but not really damaged)

Since a doll's hair has no chance of recovering, I suggest you do the treatments suggested already, since anything I'd have to offer probably has been already mentioned.
Good luck!

Ostelot
June 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
For me they look just voluminous, my unreachable dream for longer periods than an hour. :D

GrowingGlory
June 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM
NightBlooming Panacea's Summer Salve would likely help.

torrilin
June 15th, 2012, 04:05 PM
haha! Thank you for all the advice and compliments! I'll definitely bomb my ends with moisture, and thank you all for making me feel better :D

Bombing might not even be necessary. If my ends are a bit dry, I tend to just hit my braid or updo with a bit of leave in conditioner every day, whether I'm washing that day or not. Dab dab. Dab dab. Light doses, plenty of time to absorb.

After a couple days, usually things are back to normal.

If I am sure I need something heavier, I'll soak my dry hair in conditioner before I shower as a sorta kinda semi conditioner wash. There's a cone free conditioner I use where my hair just slurps up the moisturizing ingredients and it winds up feeling super duper soapy and there's almost no slip at all. So scrunching that in dry so there's time for my hair to go slurp can leave my hair feeling really soft and clean for not a whole lot of effort.

julya
June 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM
How do your ends feel as compared to the rest of your hair? If they feel rough, maybe they do need more moisture. They look fine to me, I can't see splits or roughness in the photos. They maybe look a bit kinked, or folded. Maybe from how you put your hair up if it was bunned before you took the photos? Have you tried having your hair dry while down or in a braid to see if they look different?

jaine
June 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Another thought...the very tips is the only place where the curl pattern in your hairs isn't constrained by the hair around it, so the individual hairs are each curling the way they want...and thus the ends look frizzy compared to the rest of your hair.

^^ This is exactly what I thought. A trim will fix it.

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM
How do your ends feel as compared to the rest of your hair? If they feel rough, maybe they do need more moisture. They look fine to me, I can't see splits or roughness in the photos. They maybe look a bit kinked, or folded. Maybe from how you put your hair up if it was bunned before you took the photos? Have you tried having your hair dry while down or in a braid to see if they look different?

Yep, they are kicked a bit- and yes, I did have my hair up before the pic.

They feel pretty rough compared to the rest of my hair.

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
^^ This is exactly what I thought. A trim will fix it.

Tried that yesterday.

moxamoll
June 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I think I've posted this elsewhere, but you can chelate without buying special shampoo. Juice a lemon, add about 8oz of water, pour it through damp hair and rinse. I know a lot of people find lemon drying, but you really only need to leave it for a minute. I'd say three minutes MAX before you rinse. I certainly haven't found it drying for the length of time.

(Ok, you have a lot of hair - maybe two lemons and 16 oz of water! :D)

jaine
June 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Tried that yesterday.

On to step 2 then ... how are you styling it? My ends won't clump nicely unless I do the Curly Girl method with gel.

jacqueline101
June 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Mayonnaise I heard works wonders.

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I think I've posted this elsewhere, but you can chelate without buying special shampoo. Juice a lemon, add about 8oz of water, pour it through damp hair and rinse. I know a lot of people find lemon drying, but you really only need to leave it for a minute. I'd say three minutes MAX before you rinse. I certainly haven't found it drying for the length of time.

(Ok, you have a lot of hair - maybe two lemons and 16 oz of water! :D)

I'll try it! And yes... I'll probably have to use 2 or 3 lemons!

On to step 2 then ... how are you styling it? My ends won't clump nicely unless I do the Curly Girl method with gel.

I don't style at all, I just put it in a bun pretty much all the time... I do oil my hair, though.

afu
June 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I know ive already commented here but have you tried aloe vera gel? I find that if I dampen the ends, apply a mixture of aloe vera gel combined with conditioner, leave a few minutes then slather in sweet almond oil my ends really soften up

Littlewing13
June 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Looks perfectly healthy to me, just dry. Could also be the way you styled it? Mine sometimes goes like that when I wear it certain ways. A henna/cassia gloss or coconut milk usually help me.

beachgirlla
June 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
My last 6 inches of all my hair is just like that, have velcro feeling/look, LOL and my hair is in the back is just above APL, those ends are damaged, I do not think yours are damaged though, your hair is beautiful, please do not trim anymore :).
Let us know if you find any solution, I'm dying for to find one :).

MonaLisa
June 16th, 2012, 03:57 AM
First of all, woah!! Your hair is sooo thick! And yes, it looks exactly as you say, only dry at the very ends, and that makes them look like this :)

What I'd do if I were you - Clarify with a regular shampoo..Soon do a CWC wash with regular shampoo and conditioner, even with cones, or do a conditioner on ends, then shampoo, and then some rich hair mask... And see what it looks like :)
I know you've been oiling it and trying different things, I'm guessing you went wrong somewhere...so just wash it kind of regularly..and start over :)

mckenzie
June 16th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Wow, your hair is beautiful! I'm a little freaked out because I have about 1/30th of your hair (if I'm lucky!) :)
Your ends look good to me & amazingly thick.

heidi w.
June 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM

If hair or ends are dry overall, clarifying is not the answer.

Just deeply condition your hair. You also appear to have very thick and somewhat coarse hair. There is absolutely no need to cut more. Fix the problem you have. Apparently you claim dry ends, so deep condition and consider oiling the length only or at least the ends. When facing a problem, fix the problem you actually have. Don't guess at stuff if you can help it, and create a bigger problem. Clarifying is a somewhat harsh process, and can, if not done properly, create fairly dry hair, because clarifying means to de-nude the hair. Nothing is on it to help with moisture.

I suggest looking at Biolage's Conditioning Balm for deep conditioning, although I use it as my conditioner choice all the time. It's quite thick. I pack my hair length in this stuff, using a lot, and then dribble fairly warm water on it and gently expand the hair out to a flatter surface and apply more conditioner. Hair when wet tends to clump in rope-y clumps so this is what I fan out flatter and the inner strands are often less wet and have almost no conditioner on them. So that's how I solve that problem, and then I rinse really, really well.

Solve the problem you have, don't go cutting off more and unless you KNOW you have build-up, don't clarify.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Mayonnaise I heard works wonders.

I've done mayo hair washes, and it's kind of a hassle. But do-able. I have a whole method, if you'd like it.

heidi w.

Rufflebutt
June 16th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Well if you have no split ends like you say, I'd try and moisturize and see where that leaves you. Do you use any leave-in conditioners? Hair masks? Deep conditioning? If not, try it!

Phalaenopsis
June 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I would not use the Biolage conditioning balm, it recently changed its recipe and it's not that moisturizing. You need heavy stuff like the Rosa Mosqueta conditioner from Aubrey Organics or the honeysuckle rose conditioner. Or the Moroccan Argan Oil conditioner from Acure Organics.

Always use oil as a prewash and the day after wash day you can dampen your hair and put a leave-in for curls or damaged hair in it.

These were the only things that really worked for me to get my hair less dry. I hope you find something that works for you!

sometimesginger
June 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
They really don't look bad at all! Just very dry and frizzy. I suggest you deep condition them a couple of times to get some moisture back.

jeanniet
June 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I've had the same issue lately. It started when we had several very dry months this winter (winter here is usually very rainy and damp), and now of course it's dry and warm. I have a very hard time finding conditioners that work well as leave-ins, but the Shea Moisture Moisture Milk creme is great. I spray my ends down, then apply lightly before putting my hair in a sleep cap or bunning for the day. I damp bun quite a bit--but make sure you're using distilled water (if I'm remembering right, you have well water at your parents' house?) so the minerals don't pile up. Always oil on damp or wet hair, too, and that will help.

I always do a weak citric acid rinse, and that really helps to keep mineral residue out of my hair. Those seem to be less drying than lemon juice rinses feor me.

My ends are in pretty good shape overall, so I don't want to trim. I just try to keep a close eye on things.

Deborah
June 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Your hair may have sustained damage from when you were coloring it, even if you were using 'natural' dyes, or there may be damage from some other means. Split ends are not the only hair damage.

This is counter to what most are saying, but if my ends were that dry and frizzy looking, I would trim off about two inches. I think your hair would immediately look and feel worlds better, and your hair is long enough that removing two inches would be barely visible.

Whatever you do, I hope you end up with more pleasing ends. :)

Wildcat Diva
June 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I've had the same issue lately. It started when we had several very dry months this winter (winter here is usually very rainy and damp), and now of course it's dry and warm. I have a very hard time finding conditioners that work well as leave-ins, but the Shea Moisture Moisture Milk creme is great. I spray my ends down, then apply lightly before putting my hair in a sleep cap or bunning for the day. I damp bun quite a bit--but make sure you're using distilled water (if I'm remembering right, you have well water at your parents' house?) so the minerals don't pile up. Always oil on damp or wet hair, too, and that will help.

I always do a weak citric acid rinse, and that really helps to keep mineral residue out of my hair. Those seem to be less drying than lemon juice rinses feor me.

My ends are in pretty good shape overall, so I don't want to trim. I just try to keep a close eye on things.

You sound like you know a lot about keeping minerals out of your hair Jeanniet. I am interested in this too.

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2012, 10:41 AM
UPDATE:
I then washed my hair and used my mom's conditioner- the kind you get in a box after you dye your hair. I left that on a few minutes, rinsed, and put on some Redken balm. I damp bunned for a few hours.
this morning my ends are amazing!!!! NO FRIZZIES!!! They look like the rest of my hair!!!

jeanniet
June 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lol, I wouldn't say I know a lot, just what's worked for me. I have hard well water (hardness of 10, which is hard but not very hard), plus iron and various other minerals. We do have an iron filter, but it doesn't fully remove iron from the water, and of course hair is fairly sensitive to mineral deposits. I have a hard time finding products that work well with my water. If they don't work, when my hair dries it'll feel built-up, coated, dirty, clumpy, etc. I've found that standard commercial products are out--Suave, Fructis, Pantene, any of those. Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner is good, and I like the Shea Moisture line very much. The Shea Moisture shampoo is the only one I've found that is cleansing but not too drying.

ACV rinses don't work to keep mineral deposits out of your hair, although they'll help a bit with hard water because the acid counteracts the calcium carbonate (which is what causes hard water). If you have minerals (other than the calcium carbonate, that is), you need a chelator that will bind to the ions (technically I think they're metallic ions, but I'm not a chemist) and allow them to be rinsed from your hair. Citric acid is a chelation agent, which is why lemon juice works. I do a final rinse of 1/4 teaspoon citric acid in a gallon of water, every time I get my hair wet. I've been doing this for about two years now, and it really does help. Every once in a while if I really feel it's needed, I'll use Joico's chelating shampoo, but it's pretty harsh so it's a seldom thing. The citric acid isn't drying at that concentration, and it's quite effective. The ironic thing is that I don't have to clarify often at all; I just did it recently and was the first time in several months.

Nikinka
June 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I think it is ok yet, but oiling can improove your tips;)

LadyTheta
June 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
cremenoir wrote: "the key for me has been applying oil when my hair is really wet, not just damp. like right out of the shower, squeeze the excess water out so it's not dripping like crazy, then oil immediately. it seems strange that that could make a difference as opposed to oiling damp, but it really has. i've been doing this for about a month now, and have noticed major improvement. give it a try!"

Ditto for my experience, cremenoir! Yes! Amazing is the difference in my hair.

lapushka
June 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM

That's nice to hear! Yay! :cheer:

HintOfMint
June 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
UPDATE:

That's wonderful, congratulations!

MissCoco
June 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Since I'm coming in a bit late, I just wanted to say that your hair looks gorgeous, Amber_Maiden! :D Glad everything worked out for you!

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Since I'm coming in a bit late, I just wanted to say that your hair looks gorgeous, Amber_Maiden! :D Glad everything worked out for you!

Thank you so much!!:)

akilina
June 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Good thing you got it under control! :)
I was thinking...and there are some Redken products with a ton of protein. Not exactly sure about the specific product you got, but I know the "all soft" has a ton in it. A lady I worked with used it too much and her hair got chemically cut by it in a sense. It broke off a ton. Hopefully not the case with what you got!

afu
June 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM
yay, glad things worked out :) I've never done a mayo treatment - the egg/protein scares me!

UltraBella
June 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Where's the new pic of your unfrizzy ends ??!?!?!!

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Where's the new pic of your unfrizzy ends ??!?!?!!

I borrowed the camera before, so no new pic :(

Falcore
June 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Happy to hear you've found something that's fixed your ends. You have such beautiful hair :)

Tisiloves
June 17th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Glad you got it sorted, ends are always such a pain.