PDA

View Full Version : Shaved Heads

Nvorontsova
June 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hello.

I know this is the long hair community but I have noticed that several of you have actually had buzz cuts prior to growing long. I am considering getting a buzz cut just because I have always had long hair, it has never been shorter than APL ( so society's idea of long not LHC's :P) I was wondering how your experience with buzzed hair was? Any pros and cons? I love my long hair, and after a year of growing I have managed to get to waist. But I have wanted to go bald for several years now but never had the courage.
Thank you for sharing your stories !

Jade_Pixie
June 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I used to shave my head for a couple of years when I was in high school, I liked it at the time but there are too many difficult/ugly/annoying styles you have to go through to grow it out again :)

icallitbliss
June 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
It was fun and nice to see my old hair color after so many years. But I wouldn't do it again.

DandyManderz
June 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
There have only been about three or four times that I have had my hair really short. I had very long hair as a little girl and when I was about twelve I had my mom cut my hair really short because I wanted a change. I grew it out until I was about sixteen, chopped it off again and grew it out, then just last summer I went to the salon to get my hair highlighted and cut short. I decided to buzz it soon after that. I really liked it for a while, it was VERY easy to take care of, my hair was soft, and it was like starting fresh. As far as maintenance there really is none aside from having to buzz it when it starts growing out. I loved it but I miss my long hair so now I am going through the many and often awkward stages of growing my hair out. The last time I buzzed it was in December. I think if you really want to you should go for it. :)

CurlyCap
June 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM
If you KNOW you are going to cut it and are willing to be VERY PATIENT in growing back, I would totally shave it.

After a lifetime of long hair, I did a big cut to see the other side of the fence. Now I'm growing out and I wish I had shaved it all. Just once, to see what it would be like. Now that my hair is growing back, there is no chance that I'm going to shave it now. I feel like it's a missed opportunity.

Elanadi
June 14th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I usually go from ultra long hair to a pixie cut, but I don't know if I could brave shaving. mostly because I don't like wearing hats, and because the grow-out stages are so challenging. BUT, I love the look of shaved heads on people. :)

RocketDog
June 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I have shaved my head twice, and let me tell you, it's fun for a while... but the growout is a PAIN if you're like me and hate everything between a pixie and a shoulder length bob.

juicy-glitter
June 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I imagine the layers you must get will be ridiculous.

PoppyCakes
June 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm only at a pixie from a shave now, so I haven't yet reached the worst of it. But I would already recommend it! It is lots of fun!

PixxieStix
June 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Did it on and off for a few years, I loved it. Growing out is a *****, but the freedom was amazing. Less amazing was accidentally nicking my scalp a lot when shaving, scabs aren't very appealing on my scalp, but practice made it better, but not perfect.

seaj
June 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I used to get my hair buzzed 2 to 3 times a year until I finished high school. I haven't cut my hair since then and now it's pretty long and very demanding. People say that long hair is just as easy to take care of as short hair, but nothing compares to how much easier is is maintain a shaved head. With a shaved head your hair always looks nice, is easy to clean, doesn't take hours to air dry and never gets in the way. No need to condition it either. I really miss those days. It's been almost 3 years since my last buzzed haircut and my longest layers are now past waist. The akward stage lasted for about 18 months because I never trimmed, but after that it was smooth sailing. Lots of hoods, beanies, braids, and half-up hairstyles until that point. My hair has a gentle wave to it so I prefer to have natural layers.

I feel like everybody should shave their head at least once in their lifetime. I also feel like everyone should go platinum blonde, black and henna orange/red at least once also but that's a different post. I've already checked all those things off my list and am now aiming for tailbone length hair, but I'm sure there will be a few more buzz cuts after that. I love my long hair, but I don't think I love it enough to mainitain it the rest of my life.