PDA

View Full Version : Really worried about terminal length.

CurlyCurves
June 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else can relate.

Like a lot of naturals, my goal is waist length hair. I'd love to even get to BSL or MBL, but my ULTIMATE goal is waist length.

I've never had hair past APL (maybe BSL, never checked), because I never looked after it and ALWAYS cut it when it's starting to get long (because A. I have some sort of scissor-to-hair syndrome and B. I'd neglect it until it was split end galore).

But I keep anxiously worrying that I have a terminal length of like, APL, or something. It's silly, but I'd be pretty upset if my hair didn't grow past a certain length.

Help!

Littlewing13
June 14th, 2012, 04:46 PM
You wont know till you get there I'm afraid. A few threads on here indicate that TBL/classic is average for most people. Avoid damaging your hair with heat/chemicals, treat it like lace & be patient & you should get there eventually. If not, well no point worrying about it yet IMHO. Relax, enjoy the journey. Happy growing :)

spidermom
June 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I agree. Do all in your control for good health and good hair condition, and terminal length will take care of itself.

CurlyCurves
June 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it :)

Madora
June 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
You might find your goal might take longer than a non curly person. Curly hair can grow to waist and longer, but because of its structure, needs to be babied and cared for very diligently.

Using gentle methods will help your journey...i.e. air drying, no heat, no chemicals, detangling gently with a wide tooth comb..and having plenty of patience. Good luck!

CurlyCurves
June 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
You might find your goal might take longer than a non curly person. Curly hair can grow to waist and longer, but because of its structure, needs to be babied and cared for very diligently.

Using gentle methods will help your journey...i.e. air drying, no heat, no chemicals, detangling gently with a wide tooth comb..and having plenty of patience. Good luck!

Thank you!

I only air dry. I never use a blowdrier (except to warm up my legs when I'm cold :D), I only straighten my hair every so often (I honestly don't do it often, but am cutting it down even more to perhaps only once every 3 months), I don't use chemicals (no dye etc) and detangle gently, with conditioner, with a fingers first, then a wide tooth comb. So I'm halfway there!

However, sometimes, when I handle my hair, I can be a bit rough. I don't mean to be, and I am always scared of breaking my hair, but I can be a bit heavy handed.

torrilin
June 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is depending on your hair type, visual shoulder on curly hair can be waist wet. Some of the ladies with 4a or 4b hair find that simultaneously frustrating and cool. But a goal of "looks waist when curly" might well be a LOT longer when your hair is wet.

It's not a big factor for me... as a 1c, my hair struggles to manage even 1" of shrinkage. But I really admire the dedication of curly ladies who have hair longer than me when it looks like they've got less than half the hair.

Madora
June 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you!

I only air dry. I never use a blowdrier (except to warm up my legs when I'm cold :D), I only straighten my hair every so often (I honestly don't do it often, but am cutting it down even more to perhaps only once every 3 months), I don't use chemicals (no dye etc) and detangle gently, with conditioner, with a fingers first, then a wide tooth comb. So I'm halfway there!

However, sometimes, when I handle my hair, I can be a bit rough. I don't mean to be, and I am always scared of breaking my hair, but I can be a bit heavy handed.

You're welcome, CurlyCurves.

If at all possible, try and wean yourself off straightening.

Also, I've found that if you really aspire for beautiful, healthy, long hair, you need to practice gentleness when wielding your comb. Try and go slowly and use the comb with a delicate touch..i.e. don't hold it like you had a grudge against your hair. Consider your comb like a living thing that will be harmed if you hold it too tightly. Over the years I found that being gentle with your hair is half the battle.

CurlyCurves
September 12th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I am several months too late replying to this, so thought I might as well do it now :D

The other thing to keep in mind is depending on your hair type, visual shoulder on curly hair can be waist wet. Some of the ladies with 4a or 4b hair find that simultaneously frustrating and cool. But a goal of "looks waist when curly" might well be a LOT longer when your hair is wet.

It's not a big factor for me... as a 1c, my hair struggles to manage even 1" of shrinkage. But I really admire the dedication of curly ladies who have hair longer than me when it looks like they've got less than half the hair.

Haha, I know about shrinkage alright! I'm a 3b, so I don't get the shrinkage a type 4 will get, but I still get a lot. I'm APL+ but my curls only reach SHLDR+ :D which is annoying, but I find playing with shrinkage cool.

I do worry, however, that if my terminal is TBL, then my hair will only be able to reach waist curly. Since starting this thread, I have changed my goal to curly hip.

Oh well, I can only wait and see, treating my hair like a baby along the way! Wish me luck :)

You're welcome, CurlyCurves.

If at all possible, try and wean yourself off straightening.

Also, I've found that if you really aspire for beautiful, healthy, long hair, you need to practice gentleness when wielding your comb. Try and go slowly and use the comb with a delicate touch..i.e. don't hold it like you had a grudge against your hair. Consider your comb like a living thing that will be harmed if you hold it too tightly. Over the years I found that being gentle with your hair is half the battle.

Hi Madora,

I have weaned myself off straightening, almost completely, since a heat damage scare. I flat ironed my hair on 5th July. Then I broke down and flat ironed again 1st September. I am now not allowing myself to do so again until at LEAST New Years Eve.

I wish I could completely say "no" to the flat iron, but it's so tempting :( I feel wrong when I do it now, however, and am always back to curly basically straight away (next day, usually), because I worry about my precious curls.

Gentleness is definately half the battle. I hate hearing the dreaded *snap* or seeing little hairs in the bathtub.

Katze
September 12th, 2012, 01:36 AM
It sounds like if you stop heat, your hair will be in much better shape!

There are, i think more than we like to admit here, many people with short (and I don't mean tailbone!) terminal lengths. I am discovering that the fact that I have lots of hairtypes on my head (from fine to coarse and from straight to curly) means that most of those types don't grow past shoulder - WITH good care. I've babied my hair for over seven years now, and BSL seems to be terminal length for me. Honestly, I've reached the point where I am going to wear my hair down more and even consider blowdrying more to get it to look decent (i.e. smoother, hang better, more consistent waves).

When I was a kid we would always hear about my cousin whose hair 'could never get long' because she is a 3-range curly. I've never seen her have hair longer than about APL; but she also bleaches and uses heat, too.

It does seem like with natural and gentle care, many, but not all, people can get their hair long, but I do think there is something to be said for those of us whose hair will NEVER get long by LHC standards.

From what I understand of your hair story, you might not be one of these, so don't worry, be patient, and keep up the good care!

teal
September 12th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I wish I could completely say "no" to the flat iron, but it's so tempting :( I feel wrong when I do it now, however, and am always back to curly basically straight away (next day, usually), because I worry about my precious curls.

Have you considered packing up the flat iron and leaving it in storage at the house of a relative or friend? If it's not in instant-gratification range and you make sure to learn and practice a few good curl-friendly hairstyles, you may be able to give up heat completely to the benefit of your curls.

CurlyCurves
September 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Have you considered packing up the flat iron and leaving it in storage at the house of a relative or friend? If it's not in instant-gratification range and you make sure to learn and practice a few good curl-friendly hairstyles, you may be able to give up heat completely to the benefit of your curls.

I'd love to do this, but the flat iron doesn't belong to me; it belongs to my Auntie and I live here :(

akilina
September 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
So I am sort of glad this thread is revived..
I have the same fears curlycurves! My hair has NEVER hit bsl and my length tapers out SO much that I fear this is it for me... I never get past this point between APL and BSL. I must have a long torso. Yes, I do. The area between apl and bsl is like a barren waste land!!

I am trying something new though...NO trims until January. I can handle it. The only reason I get so scissor happy is that I am dead set on microtrimming out my layers ASAP.

In the worst case scenario...I guess I can some day hope for not quite BSL hair that is thick and healthy. This can't be it for me! I would be so sad..

I wonder how rare it is for someones terminal length to be at this length??

ahrph
September 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I have a couple of friends, one whose terminal length is just above her shoulders. The other one is just below her shoulders. The first one, I'm sure it's a family thing, because her mom is the same and her daughter seems to be the same, though she has a sister with APL hair.

CurlyCurves
September 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
So I am sort of glad this thread is revived..
I have the same fears curlycurves! My hair has NEVER hit bsl and my length tapers out SO much that I fear this is it for me... I never get past this point between APL and BSL. I must have a long torso. Yes, I do. The area between apl and bsl is like a barren waste land!!

I am trying something new though...NO trims until January. I can handle it. The only reason I get so scissor happy is that I am dead set on microtrimming out my layers ASAP.

In the worst case scenario...I guess I can some day hope for not quite BSL hair that is thick and healthy. This can't be it for me! I would be so sad..

I wonder how rare it is for someones terminal length to be at this length??

Good luck! I know what you mean about the 'barren waste land', that's what I feel about anything past shoulder :/ my curly hair has never been APL, as far as I can remember.

It's getting longer though. Fingers crossed it doesn't stop!

I have a couple of friends, one whose terminal length is just above her shoulders. The other one is just below her shoulders. The first one, I'm sure it's a family thing, because her mom is the same and her daughter seems to be the same, though she has a sister with APL hair.

That sucks :/ do they look after it though? And how often do they cut it? In the past, I ALWAYS cut my hair as it started to get long.