PDA

View Full Version : BBQ smoke in freshly washed hair...smell removal!?

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I just did a BBQ for my students and I now STINK of smoke. I only washed my hair this morning so don't want to wash it again.

Any tips on how to get the smell out?

I have limited resources available to me as I am at work! It also feels kinda dry from it on the canopy layers.

TIA :flowers:

LaFlor
June 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
That has happened to me! Not sure how to get the smell out though... smoke is pretty strong. No advice, just wanted to sympathize :blossom:

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the sympathy! I hope I can sort it out. I'm at work til 9am tomorrow, off straight to an exam at 10am until 1pm, then hopping right into a car for 2 hours to go on holiday! Argh! I'm tempted to just wet it slightly or put some coconut oil on it in the hope that the smell will go. My clothes reek as well :(

~honeyflower~
June 14th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Sorry but the only way to get the smell out is by a shower, just wash with water.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I don't have the opportunity to shower, see above post! Such a PITA. I wish I could!

pepperminttea
June 14th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Could you do a gentler wash, like CO?

snowcloud
June 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Buy yourself cucumber and orange or a really sweet citrus fruit like a clementine and mix their juices so it won't be so astringent. If you can thoroughly lather your whole head up with those juices, im sure you'll smell a lot more like fresh fruit instead... This is assuming you can even get to the store though.. :rolleyes:

LaFlor
June 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Do they have febreeze or air freshener at your work? I saw it recommended on another site! I know air freshener isn't really friendly, but I think as long as you don't get it in your face you should be okay!

ETA: I would only do this as a last resort!

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Could you do a gentler wash, like CO?

Sadly not.

Buy yourself cucumber and orange or a really sweet citrus fruit like a clementine and mix their juices so it won't be so astringent. If you can thoroughly lather your whole head up with those juices, im sure you'll smell a lot more like fresh fruit instead... This is assuming you can even get to the store though.. :rolleyes:

I have a pineapple. I also have coconut oil with me and can get probably get hold of some olive oil and I also have some Ribena.....haha...not sure if any are any good?!

Do they have febreeze or air freshener at your work? I saw it recommended on another site! I know air freshener isn't really friendly, but I think as long as you don't get it in your face you should be okay!

ETA: I would only do this as a last resort!

Hmm...they don't, but the thought frightens me somewhat anyways. Thanks for the suggestion though!

~honeyflower~
June 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I don't have the opportunity to shower, see above post! Such a PITA. I wish I could!

Oh...sorry about that,wow busy schedule!:(

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Oh...sorry about that,wow busy schedule!:(

Yeah tell me about it! It's all good.

I also have a lime. Hmm..! I'm sure I can do something with a few drops of lime juice and water?! Maybe..?!

snowcloud
June 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I have a pineapple. I also have coconut oil with me and can get probably get hold of some olive oil and I also have some Ribena.....haha...not sure if any are any good?!

Pineapple is perfect!! Just completely saturate your hair with it and then dap it dry with a towl.. Then take a little dap of cocnut oil and work it through your hair... BAM

Piņa Colada
:hollie:

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Pineapple is perfect!! Just completely saturate your hair with it and then dap it dry with a towl.. Then take a little dap of cocnut oil and work it through your hair... BAM

Piņa Colada
:hollie:

Great....now I have the Piņa Colada song in my head! However, I did just find this:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-42095.html

on the archives here...not sure about the pineapple head now!

MychelleC
June 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Dryer sheet! A quick wipe with a dryer sheet takes care of smells (and frizz).

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Dryer sheet! A quick wipe with a dryer sheet takes care of smells (and frizz).

I wish I had one :(

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Spray some strong perfume on your body and hair that might mask the smell.

carolinaberry
June 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I would go rinse it out in the sink and apply a light coating of coconut oil. I HATE that smell in my hair/clothes (it always seems the smoke finds me at BBQs). I wouldn't be able to take it all night.

long&blonde
June 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I think i'd snag my biggest water cup or bottle or coffee mug: and do a water only wash in a restroom sink. After hopefuuly finding an at work work sweater to serve as towel. Sometimes results after a wash like that are amazingly cute too.

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I personally would just deal with the smell, its just BBQ smoke, it won't really hurt your hair. But, its cold and uncomfortable to wash at work...you can do as you wish of course though.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I was too tired to do anything last night other than coconut oil it. I don't think it is too bad....but I might give it a WO wash and use a had towel to dry it off, then put it up.

Thanks all :D

Lize
June 15th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Great....now I have the Piña Colada song in my head! However, I did just find this:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-42095.html

on the archives here...not sure about the pineapple head now!

Yeah, fresh pineapple contains an enzyme that can break down the collagen in skin (Think about what happens if you put fresh pineapple on a cake which has gelatin on top of it; it melts the gelatin.), so I wouldn't risk putting that in my hair. If it's heated the enzymes are deactivated. HTH.

joflakes
June 15th, 2012, 02:01 AM
In the end I dripped a teaspoon or so of lime juice into a glass, filled it up with water and then made my hair damp with it. It seems to have worked! :D

dollyfish
June 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I...I love the smell of smoke in hair :(

snowcloud
June 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
How did you find that out about pineapple?

Isilme
June 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Just wash your hair when you find the time. You were going on holiday you said, may I ask where and how long? :D (living vicariously trough people who are on vacations;))

SoulOfTheSea
June 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Buy some essential oil like lavender if you can, mix it up with some water in a spray bottle and spray that through out your hair and get it in real good. You could also try some Tresemme Naturals Dry Shampoo, which I heard is great! Definitely try to get to a grocery store at least and get some. Or just rinse your hair out in a sink if you can get to one.

Lize
June 18th, 2012, 02:54 AM
How did you find that out about pineapple?

I'm studying to become a dietitian so we talked about this in food chemistry class. Kiwi will also have the same effect.

joflakes
June 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Just wash your hair when you find the time. You were going on holiday you said, may I ask where and how long? :D (living vicariously trough people who are on vacations;))

I went to Center Parcs! :D It's somewhere where you can do lots of fun activities. I did some tree top adventuring and zip wire, squash, bowling, rowing, a spa afternoon...lovely!

Thanks everyone for the replies :D

DarkAlice
June 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
a good wash will clear up the smoke smell in most cases... campfires, cigarettes etc. will also permeate hair as well, especially if the hair non-oiled and freshly washed. now i want bbq thanks >-<

door72067
June 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah, fresh pineapple contains an enzyme that can break down the collagen in skin (Think about what happens if you put fresh pineapple on a cake which has gelatin on top of it; it melts the gelatin.), so I wouldn't risk putting that in my hair. If it's heated the enzymes are deactivated. HTH.

that's funny...yesterday I cut up a fresh pineapple and my hands felt smooth and soft from the juice and I wondered what it might do for my hair lol

glad I didn't try it out !

door72067
June 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
a good wash will clear up the smoke smell in most cases... campfires, cigarettes etc. will also permeate hair as well, especially if the hair non-oiled and freshly washed. now i want bbq thanks >-<

I love when my hair smells of campfire smoke :) (but no other kinds of smoke )