PDA

View Full Version : A question for the temporary dye users

Hairwish
June 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hello!
A couple of months ago I used some Directions Midnight Blue and loved everything about it, except for the fact that it stained my scalp really bad. It was actually worse than when I used black permanent dye. So my question is: does anyone know any tricks to prevent this from happening? Or at least make it fade faster? (I should mention that after I dyed my hair I just rinsed the dye out, I did not use any shampoo).

luxepiggy
June 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
The easiest way to remove the dye from your skin is with a paper towel dipped in a bit of diluted rubbing alcohol. Straight water works too, but then you need to scrub back & forth a bit.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I always put petroleum jelly or conditioner around my scalp edges to make sure it doesn't get on my skin. It should just wipe right off! For my actual scalp I have a dedicated very soft tooth brush that I use to give the scalp a little wee scrub with. Not for some but it works very well, particularly on the parting areas!

spidermom
June 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
The last bottle of Manic Panic I had said right on the bottle not to get the dye on the scalp. So I cut down a detail paint brush that we had for trim work so that it would be nice and stiff. Then I had my daughter paint the color onto strands of hair, avoiding the scalp completely.

luxepiggy
June 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I always put petroleum jelly or conditioner around my scalp edges to make sure it doesn't get on my skin. It should just wipe right off! For my actual scalp I have a dedicated very soft tooth brush that I use to give the scalp a little wee scrub with. Not for some but it works very well, particularly on the parting areas!

Oh joflakes that is so smart! I'm going to try using a toothbrush next time, too! (^(oo)^)v

Hairwish
June 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thank you both very much for your suggestions, I will definitely try them out the next time I dye my hair!

Hairwish
June 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Spidermom, that could actually avoid the problem completely, I just have to find someone to do it for me. Thank you!

furnival
June 14th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I usually scrub any stained scalp areas with a baby wipe once I've rinsed- it comes off easily if you get it soon enough. I usually end up with purple ears for a few days though- I always forget about them...:p

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I do the petroleum jelly or you can get the same thing at a beauty supply store color repellent. Its like chap stick and you apply it.

spidermom
June 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Oh darn; Romania. I guess I can't volunteer to come do it for you. Wish I could!

akilina
June 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hmm if you could do it precisely maybe oiling scalp and scalp only would help. I have had this problem and I can't stand my scalp being stained too. It looks tacky and unprofessional of me haha. Keep the dye 1/4 of an inch away from your scalp as well.

Tisiloves
June 17th, 2012, 07:34 AM
You could always dye the day after you wash, that tends to mean that there's enough sebum to repel dye on the scalp, but not on your hair.