PDA

View Full Version : Amusement park hair?

knux
June 14th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hello lovelies! I'll be heading to Cedar Point (its an amusement park) in a few weeks. Since I will be on every roller-coaster I can find I am worried about the crazy knots that seem mostly inevitable. I have worn my hair in a pony tail as well as a bun in the past but its uncomfortable on certain rides. Pigtails always seem to smack me in the face, and top buns give me a headache...

Any advice on how I can wear my hair to prevent some knots?

LadyTheta
June 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Suggestion: a single braid.

DarkCurls
June 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Low side bun? Like just below one ear. It gets hair out of the way and doesn't bump against the back of seats like "normal" placed buns on the back of the head.

Also, a low braid as suggested. Less "bumpy" than a ponytail and practical.

frodolaughs
June 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'd wear a single french braid. You can tuck it under the harness to keep it from flying around. A ponytail would be a nightmare of tangles by the end of the day, I'd think.

XcaliburGirl
June 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I always did an English braid with a ponytail elastic base. It's flatter than a bun for leaning back in a roller coaster seat and it keeps the hair fully contained.

MidnightMoon
June 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I would suggest braiding it, or braiding + making it a bun
when I went to six flags the last time I was wearing a hoodie, so I just wore a ponytail and put my hair inside the back of the hoodie
or...wear a ponytail and when youre already inside the ride, put it inside the back of your shirt
I know it sounds silly but it will prevent your hair from tangling and getting stuck in some part of the ride...now that would be awaful o.o

My last suggestion would be doing a ponytail but the last time you put your hair in it inside of taking all of it out of the ponytail leave it halfway...

Elanadi
June 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I use the same hairstyles I use for ballet, flat braided buns, securely pinned with long pins. I'm currently in love with the double braided cinnamon bun, I tried it out last night and it sits flat against the head, and didn't even loosen after 15 minutes of jumping and pirouettes. You can control the placement of it by where you divide your hair horizontally on the back of you head, as that top braid forms the center of the bun.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hello lovelies! I'll be heading to Cedar Point (its an amusement park) in a few weeks. Since I will be on every roller-coaster I can find I am worried about the crazy knots that seem mostly inevitable. I have worn my hair in a pony tail as well as a bun in the past but its uncomfortable on certain rides. Pigtails always seem to smack me in the face, and top buns give me a headache...

Any advice on how I can wear my hair to prevent some knots?

Try a french or dutch braid.... or just a single braid. :p

knux
June 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
The braids seem like a great idea...but I have quite a few layers that fall out of braids even when I am just sitting around, but its simple enough that I could probably re-do it if it begins to unravel.

I do like the idea of the low side bun. Will bobby pins be strong enough to hold my hair in place?

jacqueline101
June 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Braid it and tuck it under.

patienceneeded
June 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
French braid or french-style dutch braid.

DarkCurls
June 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
The braids seem like a great idea...but I have quite a few layers that fall out of braids even when I am just sitting around, but its simple enough that I could probably re-do it if it begins to unravel.

I do like the idea of the low side bun. Will bobby pins be strong enough to hold my hair in place?

My hair is about the same length as yours, and I have it in a low side bun right now (a sort of LWB, I think). It holds with just a scrunchie wrapped twice around the base as all my pins have just magically disappeared on me. I think a few pins would make a very secure bun.

Kittyxx
June 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
can you get hold of spin pins ?
I don't use them myself but I've heard they're way more secure than bobby pins

gonzobird
June 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=625792

:D

(I looked this up because I'm going next weekend :) Pay extra for the VIP pass so yo don't have to wait in long lines!!!

dwell_in_safety
June 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Twin French braids with oiled hair so they hold better, perhaps? That's what I tend to do when going somewhere such as an amusement park.

shutterpillar
June 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I think any sort of braid would be nice. If you can, I would do a crown braid, or a low side braid.

Have fun!

newbeginning
June 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
How about a french braid tucked in and secured with pins?

darklyndsea
June 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM

My roommate last semester had some pretty short layers, but the Hunger Games braid held them in pretty well. I'd assume that any dutch braid(s) that started at the hairline would work about as well.

Hollyfire3
June 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM
My roommate last semester had some pretty short layers, but the Hunger Games braid held them in pretty well. I'd assume that any dutch braid(s) that started at the hairline would work about as well.

I LOVE that braid...do the Hunger Games braid, its awsome...excuse me while I go obsess some more over that awsome series...sorry.

bluesnowflake
June 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Dutch braid worked marvelously for me about a week ago- I did it starting on one side and across to the other- only the wispies around my face got little tangles, the rest was fine.

Lightningfury
June 21st, 2012, 09:22 PM
I was just about to start a thread asking this same thing.

My biggest worry is my braid getting caught in a part of the ride.

"Please keep all arms, legs, and...hey you with the two foot of hair hanging over your shoulder do something with that thing!"

I'm thinking side braid and then when on a ride wrapping it around my neck and tucking the end under the base.

I was thinking two braids but then two extra limbs to hold, or a bun but I'd like to wear a hat because of the sun. Single braid sounds best but I'm scared of any style getting caught.

My braid measured from the base of my neck to the end is 21 inches long.

Maybe forgo the hat and have twin bun bear ears? Or a top knot? or looped braids? or double braids where I'd start with three braids and then one single thick one? That'd shorten the length. Two low side buns? Keep the hat but coil it up under? Braided halo?...The halo has potential. Could I fit it under my hat? Experiment time.

Everything heavily oiled for the day I'd imagine would be wise as a kind of sunblock. Does hair need sunblock? I would imagine so.

So many questions!

long&blonde
June 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Whatever you do,make sure to tuck it into your shirt well, if it's a long braid.
I had my wl length braid catch in the mechanism of the old ferris wheel on Atlantic City's boardwalk;thank goodness I noticed right away & worked it back out;but it was terrifying. Seriously, our braids flying around on coasters or ferris wheels could be sooo dangerous if they catch in mechanism;and super easy for it to happen. Since that time I've gone for bun with spin pins, under a tight pretty bandana covering it at amusement parks. I got seriously scared.

ApatheticFairy
June 22nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
I did a crown braid for Busch Gardens once, and it was tangle-free! But I was only mid-back/bit past BSL then.

Silverbrumby
June 22nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Just did 3 days of amusement parks and I found a braid secured at the back of my head worked very well. But there must have been damage from the sun, wind, neglect, bad food, lack of supplements etc. Vacation with the family is hell on the hair routine.

brickworld13
June 17th, 2016, 06:35 PM
*bumps*

So I'm thinking a huge head eating paranda bun (French braided) with lots of upins from Sally's that I don't mind if I lose would be a) secure and b) acceptable for having my head pressed against the seats. Thoughts?

Simsy
June 17th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Certainly sounds solid. I usually go either Dutch or French Heidi braids and pin the heck of them.
Let me know how it goes please....

Entangled
June 17th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Amish braids? Something with spin pins?

MINAKO
June 17th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Twin braids that you can safely knot or tie under your chin or tucking them in between your boobs under the bra strap, that if you really can t wear a bun/updo for any reason. Don't ever go on rides with a long a$$ braid floating around. 31 inches is not insanely lonf but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

brickworld13
June 17th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Heidi braids could work. I've never actually gotten them to stay up before. My hair is too slippery.

Amish braids? Something with spin pins?

Like this? http://youtu.be/-PYjubahR6g

No go on the spin pins. I only have 4 and they are not comfortable to lay on.

ETA: minako, my twin braids still get caught in my jeans. And they won't stay tied together.

Becs
June 17th, 2016, 07:54 PM
i always wear my hair in twin braids (my hair is bcl, just for reference), and I'm super paranoid that someday they'll get caught in the mechanism of a roller coaster. To combat this, I always wear a t shirt with a high neck when I go on roller coasters and then tuck my braids inside my shirt. I've never had them come out and it's a good solution for me

brickworld13
June 17th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I wish mine would stay in the shirt. They never ever do. So I have to pin them to my head somehow.

EdG
June 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM
brickworld - I suggest not going on any rides in which hair coming loose could be dangerous. Seriously, don't risk an updo malfunction turning into a casualty.
Ed

Entangled
June 18th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Heidi braids could work. I've never actually gotten them to stay up before. My hair is too slippery.

Like this? http://youtu.be/-PYjubahR6g

No go on the spin pins. I only have 4 and they are not comfortable to lay on.

ETA: minako, my twin braids still get caught in my jeans. And they won't stay tied together.

Yes, that's amish braids, though in my experience they can be done just as effectively with only two braids on each side (one loop to lace through, if that makes sense.)

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 09:41 AM
LWB or nautilus; a cinnabun might be too loose a bun. Stick a big fork into it, and secure it with some spin pins too. You don't want to risk your hair falling out and getting stuck somewhere in the machinery. Yikes!

Entangled
June 18th, 2016, 10:27 AM
A tucked french braid might also /work, provided you pin it enough. There's also twin high buns, but I recognize that those are a little "out there" for most people. Can you do luana braids of some sort (link) (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) and do something to pin the braids? There's other variations of them on that site.

Cg
June 18th, 2016, 12:08 PM
brickworld - I suggest not going on any rides in which hair coming loose could be dangerous. Seriously, don't risk an updo malfunction turning into a casualty.
Ed

Yes, yes, yes. A child recently caught her not even waist length hair in gears. It wasn't just dangerous, it will be either permanently disfiguring or fatal. Don't join her.

enting
June 18th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I'll add my vote to those that suggested a tucked under braid. Having any hair flopping around on roller coasters makes me nervous. Either that or a rock-solid braided bun. By braiding and then containing the braid you have a double layer of defense against hair coming loose, and one layer of defense against your braid getting in the way of anything, if it's long enough to do so.

diddiedaisy
June 18th, 2016, 01:38 PM
There was a girl over here in the uk a few years ago who got scalped when her hair got caught up in a ride!!!! :shudder: I've read a few of those stories, so if I had really long hair it would be up in a bun or something.

papayatree
June 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I went to hershey park this week and I saw so many hair ties on the roof of a building from the gondala ride. I didn't contribute to that problem

Lippytoes
June 18th, 2016, 02:04 PM
What about interlaced braids? Like in this tutorial by Loepsie: https://youtu.be/lG4MTltnX7M

I find they stay put extremely well and are comfortable when leaning back against things.

brickworld13
June 18th, 2016, 04:10 PM
The Amish braid style is pretty easy and comfy. I haven't had the chance to try the others.

Ed, while I appreciate that totally abstaining from an activity removes all the risks for that activity, I'm still going to ride the rides. A secure style should lower the risk to a satisfactory level for me. I cannot make that assessment for others and realize that a secure style may not be enough for them. :flower:

ElvenEngineer
June 18th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I seem to have little enough hair that, in the past, I've been able to get away with low cinnabuns, secured with both elastic and 3 spin pins. However, with the issues that were in the OP -- maybe someone has already suggested this, but crown braids. I'd try french braiding each side from your part in the front and down toward the nape of the neck, then braiding to the end and securing with a mini elastic, then wrapping each braid up and over your head (like a crown), tucking in the ends and using several heavy duty bobby pins to secure to the head.

Betazed
June 18th, 2016, 04:54 PM
I took my neice to Canada's Wonderland last week and I did my hair in a braided spiral bun thing. I'll try to find a tutorial for you. I liked it beacuse it kept my hair off of my neck and back and it was pretty flat against my head so it wasn't uncomfortable on rides.

I did her classic length hair in 2 dutch braids that were "corseted" together. Like this:
https://youtu.be/UFYY5PxBxoA

She didn't seem to have any problems with the tail of the braid flinging around or anything like that.

Hope you have fun! My hubs and I went to CP last summer and had a blast. It was 5 days of endless coaster riding.

ETA: I can't seem to find a tutorial for it so I shall just do my best to describe:
First, tie up hair in a pony that's as close to the center of head as possible. Braid the ends of pony in as many braids as you feel like doing (I think I first seen this with 3 braids but I usually do 5 because it makes the style look more complicated/fancy) and tie off with tiny elastics. Then, these braids are wrapped around the base of the pony and pinned into place.

I'm growing out side bangs so I usually do 2 small dutch braids with the front section of my hair before I tie it into a ponytail. If any LHC'ers out there know the actual name of this style or a tutorial that better shows this, please let me know.

brickworld13
June 18th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Photographic evidence of Amish braid attempt.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13475197_10154875620259409_1012361485270433404_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Betazed
June 18th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I found it! TorrinPaige, to the rescue!!
https://youtu.be/-DF5HXky3B8
It's called a Vortex bun. She does it with 3 rope braids but I normally do 5 English braids. This is a 2-day style for me and, as long as the pins are put in so they're not jabbing your head, it'll be comfortable to have your head up against the headrest of any ride.

Again I say, I hope you have a good time!

Entangled
June 18th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Photographic evidence of Amish braid attempt.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13475197_10154875620259409_1012361485270433404_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
Looks secure!

brickworld13
July 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
So I ended up wearing a paranda bun in the morning and just a braided bun in the afternoon. The paranda was pretty heavy and I didn't want to go swimming with it.

lithostoic
July 29th, 2016, 09:26 AM
brickworld13 Good idea! Did you have fun?

brickworld13
July 29th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Yes. It was a lot of fun. A lot more walking than I typically do. I walk a lot anyway, but wow. That was way more steps than usual. My phone tracked 13 miles and that was only with me for half the day. Slept in the next day out of necessity and had a humongous breakfast.

lithostoic
July 29th, 2016, 09:54 AM
brickworld13 That sounds fantastic! Glad you had a good time.

brickworld13
July 29th, 2016, 10:32 AM
It was great. Plus got plenty of snuggles with Waffles. :cloud9:

kidari
July 30th, 2016, 05:39 PM
This reminded me of TorrinPaige's vortex bun... here's a tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8

Tassledown
July 31st, 2016, 07:14 PM
I think I'd use french braids from the crown down (maybe there's a better term, but I'm not familiar with all the hairstyle terms yet), bun the ends and tuck it all into a tight snood and pin that to my hair at the crown too. I really like the idea of the extra protection of a tight scarf for that kinda thing - and from the sun itself. (Definitely gonna wind up with a hot head if I do, but I'm used to managing that.)

AmberJewel
July 31st, 2016, 08:56 PM
I went to an amusement park just this last week! I was afraid of a stick falling out on rides, and pins sometimes pull after a few hours.
So: I French braided my hair, then wrapped the tail into a low bun type thingy held with a metal-free elastic or scrunchy. Simple and it held all day. I also wore a hat as extra sun-protection when not on a ride.

adrenaline
November 3rd, 2016, 02:00 AM
Last weekend i also visited a theme park! At first I didn't do anything with my hair and got many knots :( So I braided them and tucked the braid under my jacket. Nevertheless, my hair was still a mess :( I don't know if a suitable hairstyle exists for a ride on the roller coaster :D I'd never recommend to wear the hair down though.

Shiranshoku
November 3rd, 2016, 10:39 AM
I'm going to Disneyland Paris next week for three days and I'm doing the 30 days of hairstyles challenge. Challenging! :D

Hairkay
November 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
Well, it's been years since I've been in an amusement park but when I used to go my hair always held up well in plaits/braids. I never even considered that some others would fine hair troublesome on rides.

hobbitlocks
November 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
When I went this summer I found a crown braid worked well. Totally up and out of the way and no bump in the back of my head to bump against the back headrest on roller coasters.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 3rd, 2016, 03:09 PM
Bunned and covered by a hat or something. Safest way to have it.