PDA

View Full Version : Babyliss Big Hair

boofles
June 14th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has come across / owns a Babyliss Big Hair? I saw one in Boots last night and thought it looked like a good thing for me.

In short, its a rotating hair brush with a hair dryer in it, but as I can never figure out using a brush AND dryer at the same time, this could really be handy for me and if it works, could mean I can use that instead of straighteners!

My main concern is tangles, as the rotating bit could easily tangle I would guess, but I also just worry that it may just not work for my hair, like so many other things (Eg, the Instyler didn't really work for me :()

afu
June 14th, 2012, 07:00 AM
ive not seen it im sorry, but I think if i attempted to use it I would just get my hair wrapped in the turny bit, tangled up and ending up chopping it off! I'm bad enough with round brushes that don't have a life of their own

boofles
June 14th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm bad enough with round brushes that don't have a life of their own

Glad it's not just me that struggles with them! I really wish I could use them well and replicate some of the styles salons manage to get when I visit - I just can't handle that AND the dryer and I dunno how people do it :confused:

MintChocChip
June 14th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I used to watch this girl on youtube and last year she made a video all about how to use this hair tool. I'll link the vid below. Personally, it's not really for me. But I can see how it could work for some people. I do think the results are pretty, I'm just not into any kind of heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtEqKVjU3KI

Oksana
June 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I've got one and I just can't seem to get on with it :o I either get my hair tangled in it or it makes it flick in weird directions. I think it may be more suited to shorter hair.

red-again
June 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I have had one for about two years. I loved it when I used heat. Much easier than using a sep brush and dryer! I have used it on my hair when it used to be BSL and my daughter uses it and her hair is one length, mid back M/C ii. No probs with tangling etc

Only big prob, it is very, very hot. Much hotter IMO than a dryer and brush would get. the cylinder which the bristles attached is the bit that gets very hot.

On the cool setting, the brush doesn't rotate. On the med heat, the brush rotates slowly and stops with too much hair so you are limited really to using it on the hottest setting if you have apl or longer hair I would say.

If the above heat issue doesn't put you off, then I think you'd love it!

sazzie88
June 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I have one And can canfirm its great for volume!

boofles
June 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
If the above heat issue doesn't put you off, then I think you'd love it!

I currently use GHD's every other day, which I doubt they get as hot as so that should be fine! My hair is BSL at the moment so hopefully it should be ok for me.

I guess all that leaves for me to worry about is whether the volume stays, as my F ii hair tends to drop volume quickly :(

boofles
June 25th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Update:

I have since splashed out and bought one with my latest pay and...

Disappointed :(

It does great for styling my fringe (or what used to be a fringe, grown out a lot now) and leaves my hair shiny and smooth, but I don't get the "big hair" I was after from it - my roots still fall quite flat, and it takes a lot of effort to get it working.

Maybe my hair is just too long, but it won't rotate correctly anywhere except my fringe! Everywhere else it locks up and pulls and tangles, no matter how small a section I use (even ones about 2 - 3cm accross)

After having this problem I double checked youtube and... everyone else says the same thing :(

Thought I should post the update in case anyone else was considering buying this and might see this as useful :)

KwaveT
June 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I don't see how a tool like would just not get hair caught in it and get it tangled or worse pull hair out. If you have a lot of tangles I think this would be problematic than anything. Maybe I just don't get how it works.

boofles
June 26th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I don't see how a tool like would just not get hair caught in it and get it tangled or worse pull hair out.

If you use small enough sections, it doesn't tangle very much, but I do have quite smooth, slippy hair so that might just be me.

If it does get caught, you feel it quite easily and hit the reverse button or stop it rotating, it stops instantly when you let go of the trigger so its not too bad in that way at all.

Still - for big hair, heated rollers do the job best for me :)