PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser cut my bangs too short...

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Okay. Here's the thing.

I went for a bangs trim at the hairdressers.

I'm a bit annoyed....instead of cutting my hair in its natural slightly wavy state, she straightened it to hell and back. It looked good and straight when it was straightened but fast forward a day to now and it is all wonky looking and WAY too short when it is natural...which obviously it will be most of the time. It's above my eyebrows.

I don't get why hairdressers have this need to straighten everything...I don't WANT to straighten my fringe every darn day but now I'll have to until it grows a cm or two.

They don't charge for bangs trims where I go and I didn't get a choice of hairdresser...I guess they don't care so much about them.

To be frank, my half assed wonky bangs were much nicer than these. They are all thinned out and wonky looking. =(

*sigh* :justy:

renarok
June 14th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Practice trimming your own bangs. It is very easy to do when you have done it a few times. Bangs grow out so fast you will probably be happy with them in a week:)

heatherdazy
June 14th, 2012, 12:40 AM
"I didn't get a choice in hairdresser..."
That's always a bad sign, because you're going to get the slowest, most available person, aka the one without lots of loyal clients...

Your two choices are to pin them back and ride it out or to have a stylist more experienced with wavy hair go in and add a little more hair into your fringe, giving it a longer overall appearance.

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Too short bangs are such a disappointment, I know, I've had enough of them.

All I can say is, they're bangs and they grow out quickly, so you won't be stuck with a style that makes you unhappy for too long.

LizTheLyre
June 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
ergg!!! some hairstylists just dont get it. but it's just hair, and it will grow, and you might come to like your new wonky bangs as time goes on. pin 'em back or straighten them if you end up hating them.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Practice trimming your own bangs. It is very easy to do when you have done it a few times. Bangs grow out so fast you will probably be happy with them in a week:)

I shall do. I have done it in the past but the hairdresser I went to was so good when I had my trim I thought I'd be safe.

"I didn't get a choice in hairdresser..."
That's always a bad sign, because you're going to get the slowest, most available person, aka the one without lots of loyal clients...

Your two choices are to pin them back and ride it out or to have a stylist more experienced with wavy hair go in and add a little more hair into your fringe, giving it a longer overall appearance.

I'll be in the pin up and ride it out camp! No more hair is getting cut..I'm already growing out a lot of hair that was mistakenly hacked into a fringe in December!

Too short bangs are such a disappointment, I know, I've had enough of them.

All I can say is, they're bangs and they grow out quickly, so you won't be stuck with a style that makes you unhappy for too long.

True. It's just so annoying!

ergg!!! some hairstylists just dont get it. but it's just hair, and it will grow, and you might come to like your new wonky bangs as time goes on. pin 'em back or straighten them if you end up hating them.

True, I'll probably just blow dry them when I shower and see how they turn out. REALLY annoying though.

I wanted Zooey Deschancel and ended up with...well, a Monk's hair!

Toadstool
June 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I know what you mean! I've NEVER met a hairdresser who would cut my hair to look good dry and natural. It's full of kinks so my fringe is also always wonky if they cut it.
This is even the expensive hairdressers.
Does this happen everywhere or just the UK?

Tisiloves
June 14th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I know what you mean! I've NEVER met a hairdresser who would cut my hair to look good dry and natural. It's full of kinks so my fringe is also always wonky if they cut it.

I know many UK hairdressing courses advocate straightening hair before cutting (working with waves/curls is much harder), but I think it might also be the more general hairdressers tend to assume that you'll straighten your fringe, etc. I have to cut my own because my quiff/cowlick means that where they wetcut it goes up in the middle when dry.

oktobergoud
June 14th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I feel you, mine messed up my bangs as well! And I never let hairdressers cut my hair and she laughed at that, probably thinking it was stupid. So I let her cut it AND SHE MESSED UP. it's way too thick now and supposed to be sideswept/asymmetrical but really, it's more like straight bangs that aren't really straight, lol! So.. growing them out it is!

Bangs grow out fast though! :) So don't worry!

pink.sara
June 14th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Ugh, very annoying.

Definitely learn to cut your own properly. I remember when I was fisrt cutting my own very heavy Bettie Page type bangs I got them wrong and ended up cutting in a really dramatic aysymmetric super short fringe to cover my mistake and it looked so cute I kept it for a few years!

Fringes grow fast so in a few weeks you can trim a teeny bit off where it looks wonky and fix it, a few weeks straighteneing a fringe isn't going to ruin your hair forever.
I straightened my whole head with GHD's twice a week untill it was past the annoying shoulder flicky stage and it's fine now, it's only at longer lengths I think it really takes a toll.

Amanah
June 14th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Maybe watch some bang trimming tutorials online and do them yourself. I think you can do them with practice and you will get the bangs you want.

When I trim mine I hold them down and at an angle facing the opposite way of the way I want them to go (side swept) and then I hold the scissors straight up and snip snip snip, up not across. I'm not looking to make a straight line, I'm looking for a little bit a choppiness at the bottom.

But, my hair is not that thick, so it's not that hard for me to trim the bangs.

afu
June 14th, 2012, 04:05 AM
hairdressers have always cut my fringe when dry (blowdried usually but i don't mind that because i blowdry my fringe normally). If i just go in for a fringe trim and not have my highlights done they will just cut it without doing anything to it. They always take it too short for me so now I do it myself or have my mum do it if i'm visiting her, this way I can just do regular microtrims and keep it at the length I like. I won't let any hairdresser cut anything off my hair anymore

Littlewing13
June 14th, 2012, 04:06 AM
:( that sucks Joflakes. On the plus side they will grow out in no time & then you get to practice yourself ;)

MintChocChip
June 14th, 2012, 04:08 AM
:( I feel your pain! I've had so many bad fringe cuts and it is really upsetting, but I agree with heatherdazy, I think the best thing would be to pin them back and wait it out. And maybe vow to never go to that hairdressers again! I agree that maybe it's a good idea to learn how to do it yourself too, and that way you'll know exactly what you want. (I say that, I'm far too scared to self trim myself so I can understand if you prefer to go to a hairdresser :D)

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Strange really when you think about it, they should encourage people to appreciate their natural hair textures!

I know many UK hairdressing courses advocate straightening hair before cutting (working with waves/curls is much harder), but I think it might also be the more general hairdressers tend to assume that you'll straighten your fringe, etc. I have to cut my own because my quiff/cowlick means that where they wetcut it goes up in the middle when dry.

I guess so. When I start my hairdressing course in the fall I'll question them!

I feel you, mine messed up my bangs as well! And I never let hairdressers cut my hair and she laughed at that, probably thinking it was stupid. So I let her cut it AND SHE MESSED UP. it's way too thick now and supposed to be sideswept/asymmetrical but really, it's more like straight bangs that aren't really straight, lol! So.. growing them out it is!

Bangs grow out fast though! :) So don't worry!

Grr, so irritating! I hope you grow fast.

Ugh, very annoying.

Definitely learn to cut your own properly. I remember when I was fisrt cutting my own very heavy Bettie Page type bangs I got them wrong and ended up cutting in a really dramatic aysymmetric super short fringe to cover my mistake and it looked so cute I kept it for a few years!

Fringes grow fast so in a few weeks you can trim a teeny bit off where it looks wonky and fix it, a few weeks straighteneing a fringe isn't going to ruin your hair forever.
I straightened my whole head with GHD's twice a week untill it was past the annoying shoulder flicky stage and it's fine now, it's only at longer lengths I think it really takes a toll.

Oh no! That's quite funny though. I'll have to wait for a while else I'll look super crazy if I trim anymore off now, haha. I'll straighten away for a couple weeks and I'm sure it'll all be fine!

Maybe watch some bang trimming tutorials online and do them yourself. I think you can do them with practice and you will get the bangs you want.

When I trim mine I hold them down and at an angle facing the opposite way of the way I want them to go (side swept) and then I hold the scissors straight up and snip snip snip, up not across. I'm not looking to make a straight line, I'm looking for a little bit a choppiness at the bottom.

But, my hair is not that thick, so it's not that hard for me to trim the bangs.

I had been doing that but it went all wonky so I wanted to get the hairdresser to make it straight again..fail! I'll watch a few more tutorials I think...

hairdressers have always cut my fringe when dry (blowdried usually but i don't mind that because i blowdry my fringe normally). If i just go in for a fringe trim and not have my highlights done they will just cut it without doing anything to it. They always take it too short for me so now I do it myself or have my mum do it if i'm visiting her, this way I can just do regular microtrims and keep it at the length I like. I won't let any hairdresser cut anything off my hair anymore

Sounds like a plan to me. Down with scissor and straightener happy hairdressers!

:( that sucks Joflakes. On the plus side they will grow out in no time & then you get to practice yourself ;)

Yeah that is true. I'll be okay!

:( I feel your pain! I've had so many bad fringe cuts and it is really upsetting, but I agree with heatherdazy, I think the best thing would be to pin them back and wait it out. And maybe vow to never go to that hairdressers again! I agree that maybe it's a good idea to learn how to do it yourself too, and that way you'll know exactly what you want. (I say that, I'm far too scared to self trim myself so I can understand if you prefer to go to a hairdresser :D)

Nope. I'm swearing off them altogether! Me or no one gets to cut my hair from now on :agree:

alwayssmiling
June 14th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I trim my own. I have recently started using this twist method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkWlCUtJhs. with great success.

My daughter had a fringe put in last year and it was a nightmare. It looked perfect when it was first done, but her hair is wavy and bouncy, which mean that it always looked a bit uneven even though it wasn't. Got her really stressed so she grew it out.

Ice Fox
June 14th, 2012, 05:38 AM
oh! I feel your pain! I well remember going into a hairdresser's when I was in my early twenties and asking for my APL length hair to be trimmed, but no shorter than just below my shoulders. I came out with an ear-length bob! felt like going round with a paper bag over my head!:(

To be fair, my current hairdresser is pretty good. I went in a couple of months ago and asked for a trim of no more than half an inch - and she took off a quarter of an inch, if that.:o

She's not bad at bangs either.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I trim my own. I have recently started using this twist method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkWlCUtJhs. with great success.

My daughter had a fringe put in last year and it was a nightmare. It looked perfect when it was first done, but her hair is wavy and bouncy, which mean that it always looked a bit uneven even though it wasn't. Got her really stressed so she grew it out.

That is what my fringe SHOULD look like. Argh! Thanks for the video, but it might be a month or so before I can do that...

oh! I feel your pain! I well remember going into a hairdresser's when I was in my early twenties and asking for my APL length hair to be trimmed, but no shorter than just below my shoulders. I came out with an ear-length bob! felt like going round with a paper bag over my head!:(

To be fair, my current hairdresser is pretty good. I went in a couple of months ago and asked for a trim of no more than half an inch - and she took off a quarter of an inch, if that.:o

She's not bad at bangs either.

Argh! That's so stressful. Glad you've found someone good now though!

dollyfish
June 14th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I've completely stopped going to hairdressers. Not only are they expensive, but they ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL add layers to my hair. I have incredibly thick hair, and hairdressers always get angry with me for this (??? I know right, crazy) and complain and complain about how I need layers because my hair is simply not "workable." The only time I've gotten a hairdresser who asked very explicitly through every single step what I wanted, is this OK, etc, was a hairdresser at a salon I will never be able to afford (family payed for the cut). I find it's way easier to trim my own hair :laugh:

Oh wow! I've never heard of this before this thread; amazing! :cheese:

Definitely going to try that next time I cut my fringe.

ariesfairies
June 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My best friend had the exact same issue.. and she did straighten it for a while herself, however when she got sick of it she just either pinned her fringe back or pulled it all back with a headband. Maybe that can be a another option if you don't want to put it through the stress?

Odd the woman straightened it.. its almost like she's assuming everyone likes to use a straightener (and a straightener to fix up a shoddy do >__< )

jesis
June 14th, 2012, 07:01 AM
When my bangs were shorter, I always straightened them, and honestly they grew about twice as fast as the rest of my hair anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just straighten them until the are long enough to style and then don't go back to that hairdresser ever again!

I've learned to be very specific when I go to my hairdresser. The last time I went in, I looked down at the floor and to my surprise, it looked like she hadn't taken anything off at all! Guess I just needed a very small trim to even everything up! Find someone you trust and stick with them!

afu
June 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks for posting the link, looks perfect :D

cheetahfast
June 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Aww, I'm sorry :(.
I had bangs for a while and it was actually hard to talk my stylist into cutting them short enough lol. He didn't want to make me look 5.

He got them perfect, but for me to have bangs, I need to blowdry them daily, so I probably won't get them again.
I think it cost $5 to get them trimmed and I could have probably chosen who...IDK.

I hope your hairs grow back fast.

Arya
June 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Don't tie it up, rock it till it grows out! Too short bangs are a thing!
[http://www.thechapel.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/beyonceshort-fringe-440x350.jpghttp://www.lynnechapman.com/images/gloriaBangs.jpghttp://www.my-hair-style.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/the-short-fringe-is-back.jpghttp://hair-craft.co.uk/files/Audrey-updo.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tFvsw-f7OqM/SQco-nmAfVI/AAAAAAAAD-k/fzlPaeZ5sv8/s400/amelie.jpghttp://www.thechapel.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bettiepage-short-fringe.jpghttp://www.hji.co.uk/blogs/pictures/Posh-Spice-grown-out-crop.jpg

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I've completely stopped going to hairdressers. Not only are they expensive, but they ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL add layers to my hair. I have incredibly thick hair, and hairdressers always get angry with me for this (??? I know right, crazy) and complain and complain about how I need layers because my hair is simply not "workable." The only time I've gotten a hairdresser who asked very explicitly through every single step what I wanted, is this OK, etc, was a hairdresser at a salon I will never be able to afford (family payed for the cut). I find it's way easier to trim my own hair :laugh:

Yes, I have had long layers in mine, I don't mind though as I like a few in there!

My best friend had the exact same issue.. and she did straighten it for a while herself, however when she got sick of it she just either pinned her fringe back or pulled it all back with a headband. Maybe that can be a another option if you don't want to put it through the stress?

Odd the woman straightened it.. its almost like she's assuming everyone likes to use a straightener (and a straightener to fix up a shoddy do >__< )

I don't really like the pinned back look on me....I'll probably just put up and shut up, haha!

Yeah it is weird. Strange lady..I think they assume that these days people always use them. It's funny though because until about 8 years ago I never even had a pair. I always used to plait my hair and get pretty braid waves!

When my bangs were shorter, I always straightened them, and honestly they grew about twice as fast as the rest of my hair anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just straighten them until the are long enough to style and then don't go back to that hairdresser ever again!

I've learned to be very specific when I go to my hairdresser. The last time I went in, I looked down at the floor and to my surprise, it looked like she hadn't taken anything off at all! Guess I just needed a very small trim to even everything up! Find someone you trust and stick with them!

Good advice, thanks! That sounds like a winner..jealous!

Aww, I'm sorry :(.
I had bangs for a while and it was actually hard to talk my stylist into cutting them short enough lol. He didn't want to make me look 5.

He got them perfect, but for me to have bangs, I need to blowdry them daily, so I probably won't get them again.
I think it cost $5 to get them trimmed and I could have probably chosen who...IDK.

I hope your hairs grow back fast.

That's funny, the opposite problem to me haha! I'd rather have paid £5 and chosen tbh.

[COLOR=Indigo]Don't tie it up, rock it till it grows out! Too short bangs are a thing!

I won't tie it up! all those ladies look nice but I feel a bit meh...although the rest of my hair is looking long!

Here's a photo, I'm feeling brave...it's just not even the right shape! I usually have it longer and around my eyes like a little frame....meeh!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jobrookman/20120614_1549571.jpg

shutterpillar
June 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
It seems to me like she didn't HAVE to straighten your hair. Couldn't you have stopped her? If a hairdresser busted out the straightener on me (especially my bangs) then I would have just told her to put it away. Same goes for the hair dryer.
I have learned over the years that if I am going to go to a hairdresser, then I have to be very clear about what I want. They are not mind readers. If you would like her to cut your natural hair, you have to let them know ahead of time. If she is unable to do that, then it's best to wait for someone who can.
Just a tip for next time. :)
And what kind of place doesn't give you a choice in which hairdresser you get?!

Hopefully they grow out for you pretty quickly. It seems like my bangs always grow quicker than the rest of my hair.

shutterpillar
June 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Just now saw your picture.. I dont think they look too bad. I agree though, they are a tad short. Like just barely barely. hopefully they grow where you want them soon. :)

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 09:07 AM
It seems to me like she didn't HAVE to straighten your hair. Couldn't you have stopped her? If a hairdresser busted out the straightener on me (especially my bangs) then I would have just told her to put it away. Same goes for the hair dryer.
I have learned over the years that if I am going to go to a hairdresser, then I have to be very clear about what I want. They are not mind readers. If you would like her to cut your natural hair, you have to let them know ahead of time. If she is unable to do that, then it's best to wait for someone who can.
Just a tip for next time. :)
And what kind of place doesn't give you a choice in which hairdresser you get?!

Hopefully they grow out for you pretty quickly. It seems like my bangs always grow quicker than the rest of my hair.

The thing is I am a non-confrontational person and she just kinda did it without asking. She did it TWICE as well.
I have no idea! So strange to me.

Just now saw your picture.. I dont think they look too bad. I agree though, they are a tad short. Like just barely barely. hopefully they grow where you want them soon. :)

To me it's like WAY too short, haha. I don't like my eyebrows peeking out, it looks odd!

shutterpillar
June 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM
The thing is I am a non-confrontational person

I totally get that. I am the same way. What helped me was to make myself clear before the person starts cutting my hair, so that way I don't have to stop them in the middle of it when she/he does something I don't like.
Before you go, make a list of rules or guidelines you would like them to keep in mind while cutting your hair. That way you don't forget anything, and it's all clear to the hairdresser BEFORE they screw up. lol. :)

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I totally get that. I am the same way. What helped me was to make myself clear before the person starts cutting my hair, so that way I don't have to stop them in the middle of it when she/he does something I don't like.
Before you go, make a list of rules or guidelines you would like them to keep in mind while cutting your hair. That way you don't forget anything, and it's all clear to the hairdresser BEFORE they screw up. lol. :)

Haha...definitely a wise plan!

afu
June 14th, 2012, 10:20 AM
the picture you posted looks really cute :) at least it isn't mega short - it should grow out in no time so just try to ignore it. For me being able to self microtrim is a must with a fringe

spidermom
June 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Don't you have the option of saying "don't straighten, cut as is"?

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 10:24 AM
the picture you posted looks really cute :) at least it isn't mega short - it should grow out in no time so just try to ignore it. For me being able to self microtrim is a must with a fringe

Thanks. I definitely need to learn the art of self trimming!

Don't you have the option of saying "don't straighten, cut as is"?

Yes. Well, yes and no. When someone just kind of does it and you have no time to react it's a bit hard. Plus last time I had it cut at that hairdressers it was fine and she didn't straighten...go figure.

Arya
June 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I won't tie it up! all those ladies look nice but I feel a bit meh...although the rest of my hair is looking long!

Here's a photo, I'm feeling brave...it's just not even the right shape! I usually have it longer and around my eyes like a little frame....meeh!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jobrookman/20120614_1549571.jpg[/quote]

I can see what you're saying about the shape, but the length I think is great! You have beautiful eyebrows that frame your eyes quite nicely. It would be a shame to hide them!

BrightEyes
June 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Aw, they don't look so bad! I was expecting to see much worse:) The good thing is, bangs grow fast and once you get the technique down, you can trim them yourself. I have my stylist trim my bangs every few months, but I always trim them myself in between appointments. It's really not difficult at all.

You look really cute with bangs.

Amanah
June 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jobrookman/20120614_1549571.jpg

I think your hair looks nice, it only has to grow a few weeks to cover your eyebrows.

lapushka
June 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Actually, I think they look quite nice! I was expecting to see bangs that had been cut to about half the forehead or something like that. If you're not happy with them, they'll grow in no time, at least they're not short-short.

akilina
June 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
You must remember not all hair dressers are crappy and evil. :cheer: I'm not! And not all hair dressers straighten the hell out of everything.
They should know that bangs will bounce up so they shouldnt pull them so straight. Did you tell her they were too short? Its best to tell them what is wrong so they know where they went wrong and will maybe be more cautious next time.
Although it sucks they are a little too short, bangs feel like they grow very very fast. In a few weeks you won't know the difference.
And you said it was free? I guess I could see a hair dresser not taking as much time because they are not benefiting from it. But that is silly, because you should always take a little bit of time if need be.
I'll have to say cutting bangs is almost my least favorite thing to do. I can do it nicely but its hard because the bangs are at the front of the hair and the hairdresser in most cases doesn't know you to the T and does not see you everyday. So it is hard to picture what some one would do to their hair everyday when you don't know them too well.

** saw the pic, I think they are cute :) **

Toadstool
June 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
LOL I actually think it looks really cute on you! Shows off your lovely eyes and eyebrows.

Unofficial_Rose
June 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Do they do that now? This is a bad thing, in my opinion - it's much better to cut to the hair's natural shape, especially for anyone without straight hair. Makes me even more afraid to visit the stylist.

OP, I agree that straightening a fringe every morning is a PITA. Especially since I get halfway to work and wonder if I've left the straighteners plugged in. :hmm:

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Actually, I think they look quite nice! I was expecting to see bangs that had been cut to about half the forehead or something like that. If you're not happy with them, they'll grow in no time, at least they're not short-short.

Aww, thank you! Yeah I hope they will be. I've had much worse...like they couldn't cut them any shorter otherwise they'd stick right out kinda bad!

You must remember not all hair dressers are crappy and evil. :cheer: I'm not! And not all hair dressers straighten the hell out of everything.
They should know that bangs will bounce up so they shouldnt pull them so straight. Did you tell her they were too short? Its best to tell them what is wrong so they know where they went wrong and will maybe be more cautious next time.
Although it sucks they are a little too short, bangs feel like they grow very very fast. In a few weeks you won't know the difference.
And you said it was free? I guess I could see a hair dresser not taking as much time because they are not benefiting from it. But that is silly, because you should always take a little bit of time if need be.
I'll have to say cutting bangs is almost my least favorite thing to do. I can do it nicely but its hard because the bangs are at the front of the hair and the hairdresser in most cases doesn't know you to the T and does not see you everyday. So it is hard to picture what some one would do to their hair everyday when you don't know them too well.

** saw the pic, I think they are cute :) **

I know not all are evil and bad, haha. Yeah I see your point. It's a bit awkward!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you all don't think I look silly! People will never know :D

LOL I actually think it looks really cute on you! Shows off your lovely eyes and eyebrows.

Aww thanks :o

Do they do that now? This is a bad thing, in my opinion - it's much better to cut to the hair's natural shape, especially for anyone without straight hair. Makes me even more afraid to visit the stylist.

OP, I agree that straightening a fringe every morning is a PITA. Especially since I get halfway to work and wonder if I've left the straighteners plugged in. :hmm:

Haha....yes me too. Luckily mine have an hour cut off so I know I won't burn the house down if I do leave them on!

Carissamarie08
June 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Your bangs look cute. I used to be a hairdresser though, and if you don't want your hair to be straightened or dryed say something! Even if the stylists starts to do it just tell them to stop its no big deal. The majority of people who walk into a salon like their hair to be "styled" which with the majority of people means to dry and straighten,unless told to do something else. But all in all, your bangs look good to me.

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Ahh they're not too bad ;) I think you'll find that, being bangs, they'll grow pretty fast! I remember a friend cut my bangs during a textiles class at school and they were really short!! Haha. I thought they looked horrible but everyone said they looked "really cute", however I do recall that they grew back to normal fairly quickly, so it was all good.

Another friend tried cutting her own... but kept getting them crooked so she kept cutting... and cutting... and by the time we saw her they were less than an inch long and stood straight up :D.

So yeah, it could be worse ;).

Arya
June 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM

Well, the issue is, I believe they need to be cut wet or straightened, because your natural wave will be a bit different every day.

joflakes
June 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Your bangs look cute. I used to be a hairdresser though, and if you don't want your hair to be straightened or dryed say something! Even if the stylists starts to do it just tell them to stop its no big deal. The majority of people who walk into a salon like their hair to be "styled" which with the majority of people means to dry and straighten,unless told to do something else. But all in all, your bangs look good to me.

Thanks.
I will try to be more communicative next time!

Ahh they're not too bad ;) I think you'll find that, being bangs, they'll grow pretty fast! I remember a friend cut my bangs during a textiles class at school and they were really short!! Haha. I thought they looked horrible but everyone said they looked "really cute", however I do recall that they grew back to normal fairly quickly, so it was all good.

Another friend tried cutting her own... but kept getting them crooked so she kept cutting... and cutting... and by the time we saw her they were less than an inch long and stood straight up :D.

So yeah, it could be worse ;).

Wow, that's a pretty epic fail! Haha. I think I'm lucky now :D

Well, the issue is, I believe they need to be cut wet or straightened, because your natural wave will be a bit different every day.

Surely though it would still be best to but it when your hair is au naturel if that's how you wear your hair?

Arya
June 15th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Surely though it would still be best to but it when your hair is au naturel if that's how you wear your hair?

I think the idea is that if you ever want the hem to be even, it has to be cut while straight. If your bangs have curlier spots they would look something like this : SSlllSlSllS so if you were to straighten it later, or your hair were to wave slightly differently when you wash it next, it will be all uneven. Does that make sense?

joflakes
June 18th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I think the idea is that if you ever want the hem to be even, it has to be cut while straight. If your bangs have curlier spots they would look something like this : SSlllSlSllS so if you were to straighten it later, or your hair were to wave slightly differently when you wash it next, it will be all uneven. Does that make sense?

hmm, I guess so!

continuum88
June 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM
i think for every hairdresser it takes some practise to get bangs right. Especially with wavy hair I'd probably cut a cm less than what the client actually asked for and then if its too long you can always just cut some more but once you cut it too short there's really nothing you can do. well, apparently theres some special fake clip in bangs that you can buy but probably not worth it as it would grow out and look a lot better in a couple of weeks

Scarlet_Heart
June 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I used to have a wonderful hairdresser who would take my natural texture into consideration. She would wet my hair and comb it kinda straight and then cut. She wouldn't blowdry it or anything. My hair dries fast, so by the time she was done cutting it was just about dry anyway and looked great with my natural waves.

She was awesome. That was one of the worst things about moving. :p Now my hair-cutting team is me and DH.

The nice thing about bangs is that they grow back pretty quick. Until then, you could either pin them back, wear a headband, or straighten them in the morning.

long&blonde
June 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Sometimes it sure feels hair salons do all they can to hook you into constantly coming back. Not in the good,satisfied customer way. I think they like to satisfy short hairs:but us longhairs are dangerous. Too satisfied & quick to never return. If they can make us less content with our hair/but not totally furious with them:perhaps we will start coming in on a regular basis:to see if they can correct the wonkiness.
The Wonkiness They Created, mind you.
Lol,and God bless the wonderful stylists who are out there.
But it sure feels true.
Reminds me of nail salons:the sudden silence,and then half hour of angry. Foreign language chatter if you walk into your regular salon and say all you want is a soakoff, period;natural nails after. No replacement of your tips.