PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair feel crunchy/tangly until after I have braided it?

Charlotte:)
June 13th, 2012, 11:36 PM
After I wash my hair, it feels all crunchy and tangly until after I have braided and slept on it. It's weird. I'll wash my hair in the morning, let it dry all day and then sleep with it draped over the edge of my bed (so it doesn't tangle), but it will still feel the same the next day. If I braid it that night, however, it will feel soft and smooth the next day. The only problem with that is that I don't always want braid waves. I can spray it and brush the waves out, but then it gets tangly again. My hair is naturally straight, and I would like to embrace it, but it's too difficult to manage that way. Is anyone else's hair like this? Why do you think this happens?

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I have the exact same issue (only I bun instead of braid).

I think it has to do with washing/wetting raising the cuticle of the hair because the shaft swells with water. When you braid or bun it, it compacts the hair and smooths the cuticle back down. That's just my guess.

There are some buns like the lazy wrap that don't leave as much wave in your hair and I suppose if you do it at the very top of your head, it won't bother you when you sleep. You could also try hair wrapping for a smoother look.

I personally don't like braid waves on me, so I prefer doing a cinnabun which leaves me with loose curl-like waves. Think Kim Kardashian (on a good day for me).

Tisiloves
June 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM
You could try a rope braid, they leave minimal wave.

Bagginslover
June 14th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Have you tried sleeping with your hair totaly loose to see if has the same effect? I know its a big LHC no-no to do so, but your hair sounds just like mine, and mine only feels nice after bunning, braiding, or being slept on. My hair has always been this way, even when I used to abuse it, blwdrying etc, it always felt so nice the day after a wash-I'd actually time washing my hair for special days, so I would wash the day before!

I have to actually sleep on it too, not toss it over the pillow, I think it has something to do with my body heat warming it, that smooths it, but I have nothing to back up that beleif.

I don't have one, but using a sleep cap might have the same effect, as you hair will still be warmed by your head, but it won't wave if you pile it in loosely. it would cut down the damage of sleeping on loose hair too (its not something I worry about too much at the moment, but you might)

Charlotte:)
June 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I have the exact same issue (only I bun instead of braid).

I think it has to do with washing/wetting raising the cuticle of the hair because the shaft swells with water. When you braid or bun it, it compacts the hair and smooths the cuticle back down. That's just my guess.

There are some buns like the lazy wrap that don't leave as much wave in your hair and I suppose if you do it at the very top of your head, it won't bother you when you sleep. You could also try hair wrapping for a smoother look.

I personally don't like braid waves on me, so I prefer doing a cinnabun which leaves me with loose curl-like waves. Think Kim Kardashian (on a good day for me).

That makes sense. I'll have to try this 'hair wrapping' you speak of.

Have you tried sleeping with your hair totaly loose to see if has the same effect? I know its a big LHC no-no to do so, but your hair sounds just like mine, and mine only feels nice after bunning, braiding, or being slept on. My hair has always been this way, even when I used to abuse it, blwdrying etc, it always felt so nice the day after a wash-I'd actually time washing my hair for special days, so I would wash the day before!

I have to actually sleep on it too, not toss it over the pillow, I think it has something to do with my body heat warming it, that smooths it, but I have nothing to back up that beleif.

I don't have one, but using a sleep cap might have the same effect, as you hair will still be warmed by your head, but it won't wave if you pile it in loosely. it would cut down the damage of sleeping on loose hair too (its not something I worry about too much at the moment, but you might)

Lol, well I've stuck it down my shirt before to sleep, and that didn't make it any better, so I'm guessing this wouldn't be any
different. I'm glad it worked for you, though.

MychelleC
June 14th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Mine often feels like that after I wash. I wash in the morning and when it's mostly dry put it up in a bun for a few hours. When I let it down it's soft and not crunchy. HTH!

bluesnowflake
June 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Mine does the exact same thing, but I bun instead of braid. When I discovered it my hair got so much better in the span of a few weeks- now I shower and bun it to dry (I shower at night and sleep on it), so it's always nice and doesn't get frizzy/crunchy. My first-day hair is always up all the way, and then I can wear it down or in a braid the second day because it's all nice and shiny and soft. I have no idea why this happens when I let it dry down/loose, but I've gotten used to it and learned to use it to advantage.