PDA

View Full Version : - Fresh home made rose water made hair feel amazing !

RedheadMistress
June 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
- I've been researching what to use in my homemade condish and stumbled upon a simple recipe on how to make my own rose water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkwurYKpO4

Instead of using a couple of drops of almond oil I used EVOO because I'm visiting family and this is all the oil we had that sounded good .

I didn't use damask roses either, but I used rosa damalis, we call them "nyponrosor" in Swedish and they're called "Glaceous Dog Rose" in English according to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_dumalis
It looks like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/RosaDumalis1UME.jpg

I just got impatient and this is a kind of rose that grows a lot where I am in Sweden so I thought I would try it . Used a lot of water and a couple handfuls or rose leaves and the water ended up dark red, not light pink like in the video where the person uses Damask roses (that are dark red) which I found very surprising .

I don't have a spray bottle so I just took a small cup and rinsed my hair with it and massaged it into my scalp and wrapped a towel around it so it slowly dried and now that my hair is mostly dry it feels amazing, it almost feels like a light clarifying wash btu without my hair feeling awful. My hair feels like it got more body and it looks more straight and it smells like roses !

This is what it looks like now (sorry about ****ty pic, using webcam since I didn't bring my camera):
http://i45.tinypic.com/2hpp2eu.jpg

and normally it is more curly like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6088&pictureid=98616

Also it seems shinier and Way less frizziness and this is only after one rinse . Think I'm going to do this way more often, it costs nothing, if you can find roses in nature !

I can't stop touching the top inches of my hair, the most healthy bits are So incredibly soft . . !

I suggest more people do this, it feels very pampering, more so than other things I do, since it involves wild flowers :cheese:

ladonna
June 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I am thinking of collecting the wild rose petals from the forest where I live, they look the same as the roses you used :) thanks.

Tia2010
June 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Oh, that sounds nice.. My neighbor grows tons of roses in all different varieties, so I will be asking for some cuts :D

kallarina
June 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Oh boo, I would only be able to get roses if I bought them. They don't grow wild anywhere around here...
Congrats on the lovely hair!

Hgunderman
June 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oh wow, that sounds like it would be so great and soothing for the hair. I wonder if I could find any suitable roses in Wyoming :p Thanks for sharing!

winship2
June 13th, 2012, 10:56 PM
How interesting, thank you!

jenni0416
June 13th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Sounds great!! Definitely going to try it...wondering if the type of roses is all that important...

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Now that I'm home, I have access to my mother's rose garden! That was a really easy recipe too, much easier than I expected.

I wonder if I could use coconut oil instead of almond oil...

AnqeIicDemise
June 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I do something similar with lavender. There's an empty lot down the street from us where lavender grows wild. I like to take walks during the summer and take some armfulls at night when the bees are less active.

RedheadMistress
June 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I do something similar with lavender. There's an empty lot down the street from us where lavender grows wild. I like to take walks during the summer and take some armfulls at night when the bees are less active.

- That's a good idea, I didn't think of picking roses when bees are less active, instead I just had to peek inside the flower to make sure no bee was in it, saw 5 other bees going to other flowers though which worried me hehe .

Jing
June 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Slightly tempted to steal some petals from a large clump of those rose bushes down the road now. :p

HintOfMint
June 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Slightly tempted to steal some petals from a large clump of those rose bushes down the road now. :p

Every spring, my school emerges in full bloom with flowers everywhere. I'll pluck one or two here and there, but I'm always scared some campus policeman will hunt me down for the vandal I am. :p

snowcloud
June 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
- I've been researching what to use in my homemade condish and stumbled upon a simple recipe on how to make my own rose water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkwurYKpO4

WHY DO PEOPLE BOIL THEIR ROSES???? :confused:

Rose is such a delicate flower and fragrance. It does like to be heated. Cold steaping your roses in a jar is by far the best way to fully benefits from all its properties and, it will give you a pure unaltered aroma. :graduate:

truepeacenik
June 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Oh wow, that sounds like it would be so great and soothing for the hair. I wonder if I could find any suitable roses in Wyoming :p Thanks for sharing!
In Colorado, roses grow wild. I suspect they do in Wyoming, too.
Perfectly suitable.
A friend made some and I tried it with trepidation, as I'm allergic to rose oil and pollen, but this had very little reaction and I was able to see what the fuss was about.
I'd not keep doing it, but if my skin like rose a bit more......:cheese:

RedheadMistress
June 14th, 2012, 08:01 PM

WHY DO PEOPLE BOIL THEIR ROSES???? :confused:

Rose is such a delicate flower and fragrance. It does like to be heated. Cold steaping your roses in a jar is by far the best way to fully benefits from all its properties and, it will give you a pure unaltered aroma. :graduate:

- I think it worked perfectly well, boiling the flowers, the water turned red and smelled amazingly and now I think the color in te water dyed my very red hair a bit more pinkish/purple .

But you're saying another way is to just put roses in cold water ? For how long ?

I love boiling them, the entire home smells like roses :D

snowcloud
June 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM
- I think it worked perfectly well, boiling the flowers, the water turned red and smelled amazingly and now I think the color in te water dyed my very red hair a bit more pinkish/purple .

But you're saying another way is to just put roses in cold water ? For how long ?

I love boiling them, the entire home smells like roses :D

You would just could steap them in a jar for about 3 days or so. Rose pedals are the most delicate fragile things you could possibly imagine.. To much stress or heat on them changes their fragrance and is going to basically destroy all the benefits you were looking for from the flower..

It is like the same reason you don't eat roasted almonds because all the antioxidants are destroyed in the heat. I don't have much to back this up with because if you were to look for rose water recipes online you would find nothing but boiling recipes..

I feel that you need to keep the roses as happy as possible to get the best fragrance.. :rolleyes:

This here is a fresh batch of rose water and fresh jasmine flower / almond oil infusion.. less than 5 hours old:

http://allyouneedtoknow.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/rose-jasmine-floral-infusions.jpg

AutumnJasmine
June 14th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I use the rosewater from my local organic store every now and then. I think the brand is heritage products.

elfgirl
June 15th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I'm inspired to try my hand at making rosewater now :)

HintOfMint
June 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
You would just could steap them in a jar for about 3 days or so. Rose pedals are the most delicate fragile things you could possibly imagine.. To much stress or heat on them changes their fragrance and is going to basically destroy all the benefits you were looking for from the flower..

It is like the same reason you don't eat roasted almonds because all the antioxidants are destroyed in the heat. I don't have much to back this up with because if you were to look for rose water recipes online you would find nothing but boiling recipes..

I feel that you need to keep the roses as happy as possible to get the best fragrance.. :rolleyes:

This here is a fresh batch of rose water and fresh jasmine flower / almond oil infusion.. less than 5 hours old:

http://allyouneedtoknow.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/rose-jasmine-floral-infusions.jpg

Should be easy enough to do a comparison. I have rose bushes in my parent's backyard, I'd be happy to do both methods and report back with my results. :)

RedheadMistress
June 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM

- I did get benefits of using boiled rose water so I didn't destroy the rose leaves all positive effects . However I think both methods sound good and depending on what people prefer, they can do . If I find a jar I might try the jar method as well, have some aged rosewater ^^

With the boiling recipe, the person in the video says you should keep it in the fridge and use within 5 days because otherwise it goes bad . .

robey
June 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I am making rose water right now, I watched the same video before I got on here and ran out and got my :blossom:roses:blossom: already. They are simmering right now.
I used 6 to 7 full roses and will let you all know how it turns out:)

Astraea
June 15th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I know people who steam distill rose petals to create rose water and create oil infusions by steeping the petals in oil for a week or so. It's popular among curlies but I've never tried it. Glad you loved your results!

robey
June 16th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Okay I have made the rose water and it is red which I have found to be normal from other rose water on Youtube. My only problem is it smells like cabbage! Has anyone else had this happen?:confused:

terpentyna
June 16th, 2012, 12:54 AM

Yeah, I recall my grandpa's friend just keeping a jar to use when needed without heating or straining actually, though maybe she did later or something. I'm sure it needs to be done ahead of time. Do you keep the rose water in sunlight?

GoblinTart
June 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I live in an apt, so no readily available roses :( I used to grow them when we had a yard though. I'm not shelling out money to buy them from a nursery. But, the vid has been added to my favorites. Were moving in a couple months and hope to be able to get a house so I can have a garden again.

snowcloud
June 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I recall my grandpa's friend just keeping a jar to use when needed without heating or straining actually, though maybe she did later or something. I'm sure it needs to be done ahead of time. Do you keep the rose water in sunlight?

I just keep them in the refrigerator

snowcloud
June 17th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Okay I have made the rose water and it is red which I have found to be normal from other rose water on Youtube. My only problem is it smells like cabbage! Has anyone else had this happen?:confused:

Im telling you it is because you heat the enzymes in the roses.. Roses have the most delicate smell in the entire galaxy!!.. Heating them alters it I promise :rolleyes:

kittengirl
June 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I don't grow roses and can't afford to buy then to make water from, but I did order some rosewater I few days ago. I beleive the kind I ordered is steam distilled. It is also organic. I cannot wait to try it out!

spidermom
August 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
I just came across a recipe to collect rose petals, wash them, cover in water and bring to boil, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain off rose petals (which I can then use to make rose beads) and either add rose water to shampoo, conditioner, and/or take one cup of rose water and massage through hair after washing, conditioning, and rinsing. You could also use the rose water for conditioning after washing/rinsing.