PDA

View Full Version : Coatings??

CSallaround
June 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hi ladies and gents :)

I heard there are some websites where you can look up beauty care ingredients but I haven't been able to find any. Does anyone know of such sites?

I'm really interested in knowing the names of problematic coating agents that prevent moisture from being absorbed - waxes, cones, mineral oils..
Please share if you know exact names of certain ingredients that have such effect.
After having read about how these types of coatings prevents your hair from absorbing moisture I've started to wonder what all you LHC'ers with such beautiful hair actually do about this issue? I know those coatings by preventing absorbtion of moisture prevents frizziness but do any of you experience that your hair won't absorb oil as good or that treatments don't work as well when you use cones (or the like)?

I've had my doubts as to wether I should stick to being cone-free (had been for a few months) because I missed the slip I get from cones. I started using my coney leave-in again (morrocan oil) but it seems my hair doesn't really like cones that much anymore so I'm probably going to stop using them again. My hair starts to feel 'plastic like' - kind of like doll hair after a few days. On top of that it becomes greasy faster and it doesn't seem to absorb oil properly.

Here are the ingredients lists of the shampoos and the condish I use (the cone-free ones):

Franck Provost repair shampoo (I use this for clarifying purposes but I don't feel like it removes the cones properly?? Is it good enough to use for clarifying?):
Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, coco-betaine, sodium chloride, glycol distearate, Cl 17200/red 33, cocamide mea, carbomer, sodium benzoate, sodium methylparaben, salicylic acid, sodium hydroxide, 2-oleamido-1.3-octadecanediol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, citric acid, hexylene glycol, ethylparaben, hexyl cinnamal, butylphenyl methylpropional, parfum

Daily Organics shampoo:
Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium cocoamphoacetate, glycerin, sodium chloride, sodium cocoyl glutamate, lactic acid, glyceryl oleate, coco glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, lauryl glucoside, sodium benzoate, citric acid, potassium sorbate, isopropyl alcohol, sodium phytate

Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing moisture conditioner (use this also for CO once in a while):
Aqua, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, aspartic acid, lauroyl lysine, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, caprylyl glycol, brassica campestris/aleurites fordi oil copolymer, distearyldimonium chloride, citric acid, ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, parfum, benzyl alcohol

I hope some of you can help me out here - I would be very grateful. :)

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm a little unclear as to what you want. Do you want a generalized list of things that coat hair, or do you want us to analyze the ingredients list of your shampoo and conditioners to see if there are any ingredients there that would lead to a coated feeling?

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM
As far as the shampoos you listed goes, you listed sulfate-free shampoos that are very gentle in their cleansing. This generally means that they aren't going to be a deep cleansing shampoo, so the coatings you feel may just be leftover sebum or conditioner that the shampoo didn't remove.

Conditioners, by their very nature, leave a coating. That's what they're supposed to do. So I could pretty much list everything in your conditioner besides the preservatives as a coating agent.

RitaPG
June 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
It seems my hair doesn't really like cones that much anymore after I've been conefree for a few months so I'm going to stop using them again. My hair starts to feel 'plastic like' - kind of like doll hair after a few days but I don't think it's only because of the cones.
On top of that my hair becomes greasy faster and it doesn't seem to absorb oil properly.

That feeling you hair is getting is from silicones allright. I have the same issue. I avoid products that have Dimethicone on it, those are the ones that make my hair feel like plastic too. But Amodimethicone doesn't seem to give me any issues, so I can use conditioners with that one.

As for oils, I don't have an issue with that since my hair seems to absorb it well, but I've read that many people with fine hair strands don't take oil very well since it weights their hair down and makes it greasy faster.

If your conditioners are too rich, try to dilute them when you CO wash - -half water, half conditioner. Use an applicator bottle to mix it up and apply to the scalp and hair. It works really well for me this way.

CSallaround
June 13th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a little unclear as to what you want. Do you want a generalized list of things that coat hair, or do you want us to analyze the ingredients list of your shampoo and conditioners to see if there are any ingredients there that would lead to a coated feeling?

I'm sorry it seems unclear - maybe I should edit it a bit.
I was asking to hear if anyone could mention names of ingredients they know that coat the hair and prevents moisture from getting absorbed properly. I listed the ingredients of the products in case anyone would recognize coatings such as waxes, silicones or mineral oil that could cause my hair not to absorb moisture.

As far as the shampoos you listed goes, you listed sulfate-free shampoos that are very gentle in their cleansing. This generally means that they aren't going to be a deep cleansing shampoo, so the coatings you feel may just be leftover sebum or conditioner that the shampoo didn't remove.

Conditioners, by their very nature, leave a coating. That's what they're supposed to do. So I could pretty much list everything in your conditioner besides the preservatives as a coating agent.

The first shampoo contains SLS which is why I use it for clarifying but I'm unsure as to wether it contains waxes or mineral oils. The packaging says it's silicone free though.

:)

CSallaround
June 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM
That feeling you hair is getting is from silicones allright. I have the same issue. I avoid products that have Dimethicone on it, those are the ones that make my hair feel like plastic too. But Amodimethicone doesn't seem to give me any issues, so I can use conditioners with that one.

As for oils, I don't have an issue with that since my hair seems to absorb it well, but I've read that many people with fine hair strands don't take oil very well since it weights their hair down and makes it greasy faster.

If your conditioners are too rich, try to dilute them when you CO wash - -half water, half conditioner. Use an applicator bottle to mix it up and apply to the scalp and hair. It works really well for me this way.

Thank you. My leave-in contains mainly dimethicone so maybe that is why!

When I was conefree I had no problems with my hair absorbing the oils I applied - though my hair is a bit fine. So that's why I'm wondering if it has to do with the cones or other ingredients.

RitaPG
June 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thank you. My leave-in contains mainly dimethicone so maybe that is why!

When I was conefree I had no problems with my hair absorbing the oils I applied - though my hair is a bit fine. So that's why I'm wondering if it has to do with the cones or other ingredients.

I'm pretty sure it's the Dimethicone. Maybe my hair is more porous, because I can use oils on top of coney conditioners with no problem, but a lot of people have that issue.
You can apply a little bit of oil after washing, and after that apply your coney leave-in to seal the moisture. That seems to work for some. Just make sure you use very little, fine hair doesn't need a lot of product.